[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

14 hours ago, damonvv said:

Elon did state that with the SS, he doesn’t need the TPS shielding anymore. And yea active cooling is something I’d want to see in action

I'm unsure how KSP would model this. A simple way might be to find out if a heatshield can somehow use up propellant as ablator.

Just now, tater said:

I'm unsure how KSP would model this. A simple way might be to find out if a heatshield can somehow use up propellant as ablator.

Yeah I'm not sure how to set this up. I have some time to play around before we get some pics from him so will see what's the best option.

Anyway, dev time!

Ghidorah 9 is pretty much finished. Some minor texturing is required but it's getting there!

6IjhuDz.png

1 minute ago, damonvv said:

Yeah I'm not sure how to set this up. I have some time to play around before we get some pics from him so will see what's the best option.

Has to be possible, we have stock ISRU, which means converting one tank content to another is already a thing. Maybe make a kind of ISRU that turns methane into ablator at some rate.

Just now, tater said:

Has to be possible, we have stock ISRU, which means converting one tank content to another is already a thing. Maybe make a kind of ISRU that turns methane into ablator at some rate.

Interesting! @JadeOfMaar this could be an idea? ^

1 hour ago, damonvv said:

Not hard at all to make ModuleAblator use propellant. What you really want to know is how much energy it should dissipate. Here's a basic config that is somewhat accurate, within reason. It needs a bit more thought put into it. lossExp and lossConst might need adjusting. pyrolysisLossFactor is just the multiplier needed to convert liquid methane's specific heat into a value equal to its heat of vaporization. ablationTempThresh here is the stock value and should be entirely arbitrary; set it to whatever value you think active cooling should kick in at.

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleAblator
	ablativeResource = LqdMethane
	outputResource = Methane
	lossExp = -7500
	lossConst = 0.1
	pyrolysisLossFactor = 147.878
	reentryConductivity = 0.01
	ablationTempThresh = 500
	outputMult = 593.5983263598326 // round it if you want
}

If you want that to use the stock resource then pyrolysisLossFactor should be something like 1275 and probably there's no appropriate resource to convert it to so omit outputResource

Edited by Starwaster
forgot difference between liquid and gas density (outputMult)

13 hours ago, Nessus_ said:

@Nigel Cardozo No, I only made RO configs for the BFR (Gojira). I always felt that the look of the Tundra Exploration parts fits more into the stock KSP world than Realism Overhaul and there already are Falcon 9 mods with RO configs (mainly Launchers Pack). That being said, the Launchers Pack isn't thaaat well maintained (and the landign legs and grid fins suck) and the Restock design by @damonvv is pretty amazing (also TE has much better plumes @JadeOfMaar ;)), I might make some RO configs for the Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon.

Thanks Nessus_ yes I also have the launchers pack but out of Tundra Exploration mod I like using the crew and cargo dragon, and the crew, cargo and fuel tanker bfr because the models look quite realistic. Thanks to damonvv for making them. For the gridfins and landing legs in the launchers pack I use kerbal reusability expansion those models are great as well. And Nessus where do I get all of your ro config?

Edited by Nigel Cardozo

10 hours ago, damonvv said:

Anyway, dev time!

Ghidorah 9 is pretty much finished. Some minor texturing is required but it's getting there!

6IjhuDz.png

@damonvv did you revamp the rodan V2

2 minutes ago, Nessus_ said:

Thanks and what about the others (sorry to be off topic)

8 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Slight color change for the TPS shielding and matching white for the booster. Also a massive solar panel revamp on the trunk

I thought you had completely changed it. Good to know.

24 minutes ago, Nigel Cardozo said:

I thought you had completely changed it. Good to know.

Still the same models! But my Ghidorah is changed a lot and I think these can't be really used to replace the old parts. So what I'm going to do like I did with the old BFR/Dragon is to make the old parts unaccessible  and make new craft files so when people load up KSP, nothing breaks. And hopefully by the time I update again everyone is using the new parts so I remove the old design.

35 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Still the same models! But my Ghidorah is changed a lot and I think these can't be really used to replace the old parts. So what I'm going to do like I did with the old BFR/Dragon is to make the old parts unaccessible  and make new craft files so when people load up KSP, nothing breaks. And hopefully by the time I update again everyone is using the new parts so I remove the old design.

Ok great.

10 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Makes sense.

Another question: Will the 'Tundra' written down the side of the booster be part of the final design? And will we be able to turn it off if we want to?

Not sure yet. It's currently in the texture file itself. Maybe I can make it a decal that you can toggle on and off

2 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Not sure yet. It's currently in the texture file itself. Maybe I can make it a decal that you can toggle on and off

That would be a good idea. In my universe 'SpaceK' flies these rockets, and it'd be weird to have 'Tundra' written down the side.

14 hours ago, damonvv said:

Do you have B9 installed? (Also make sure the engine doesn't have the shroud activated.

Be sure to have these mods installed as listed on the OP:

Required Mods

I think the problem was the shroud! I have all the dependencies except animated decouplers installed. Thanks!

15 hours ago, tater said:

Why would the propellant be used up? It's just heated up, not consumed. I'm not sure how much that changes the combustion process, if at all.

@Starwaster @damonvv I just installed Deadly Reentry, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Maybe it's deactivated due to compatibility issues with 1.6.1? Anyway: is there a way to configure the BFS command pod so that things stored in the cargo bay don't overheat, with or without DR? And should DR protect my solar panels on the lee site of the BFS, since they always blow up...

I also noticed that the central tank is is slightly glowing upon reentry, while the lower tank and the command pod does not.

27 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Why would the propellant be used up? It's just heated up, not consumed. I'm not sure how much that changes the combustion process, if at all.

There are three different ways they might use propellant on reentry. One is spraying the inside of the tanks. The second is like regeneratively cooled engines. Both of these would not use up the propellant. The third way is to actually vent propellant out through small holes spaced along the bottom, which is a combination of the regenerative idea, plus venting, really.

So 2/3 of the options indeed don't expend propellant.

We'll have to see what they use. The plus of the regenerative idea, is that fro the crew version, it also functions as a radiator for ECLSS.