KSP Future DLC Ideas

If you have any ideas for future DLCs or even updates then you can post them here!

Personally I think squad should add many more levels to the Kerbal Space Center, so not only do the building get bigger or more advanced so do the parts, and maybe the kerbals suits. Like maybe they could use suit designs such as Cetera's suits. I don't know thought it would be a rather interesting idea.

But don't forget to share your ideas for KSP.

Cetera's Suits (1.3.1)

10 hours ago, Dedpewlio said:

If you have any ideas for future DLCs or even updates then you can post them here!

Or in the other half dozen threads we already have on this.....

10 hours ago, Dedpewlio said:

Personally I think squad should add many more levels to the Kerbal Space Center, so not only do the building get bigger or more advanced so do the parts, and maybe the kerbals suits. Like maybe they could use suit designs such as Cetera's suits. I don't know thought it would be a rather interesting idea.

They will not release a DLC based solely on things already doable in mods.  There will be no sales.    

We need to offer ideas that are not doable in mods. 

1 minute ago, KerbolExplorer said:

i think that the next DLC should be future-istic aswell maybe call it KSP eyes on the future.i think they should add more solar sistems and interstellar parts.I always thought that ksp gaved to old parts and i think warp drives are the way to go

Warp drives aren‘t the future of space travel though and should definetly not be in the game.

11 hours ago, Canopus said:

Warp drives aren‘t the future of space travel though

Says who?  You can't predict the future. 

11 hours ago, Canopus said:

should definetly not be in the game.

Not the stock game, no.  

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Says who?  You can't predict the future. 

Causality says so. So yeah, there may be warp drives eventually but there will always be a natural mechanism that prevents faster than light travel.

Warp drives are waayy too overpowered, and ruin the orbital mechanics aspect of the game. It would be nice if the game and its DLC would just respect the kerbalness of the game.

A DLC about the future should focus more on space tourism and colonization, rather than adding more ludicrously overpowered engines. Instead, parts should be bigger, so they can carry more payload, for you know, space colonies?

Edited by NSEP

On 4/21/2018 at 3:16 AM, Gargamel said:

They will not release a DLC based solely on things already doable in mods.  There will be no sales.    

And this...

3 minutes ago, NSEP said:

A DLC about the future should focus more on space tourism and colonization, rather than adding more ludicrously overpowered engines. Instead, parts should be bigger, so they can carry more payload, for you know, space colonies?

Unfortunately, @Gargamel is right in this case, @NSEP. No one is going to buy DLC when a mod can do it efficiently and without cost.

Instead, what about something totally unexpected, such as underwater colony components (think how cool it would be to build underwater on Kerin or Laythe!). As far as I know, there are NO mods which would do this... and it could add another dimension of game play.

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Unfortunately, @Gargamel is right in this case, @NSEP. No one is going to buy DLC when a mod can do it efficiently and without cost.

I didn't really explain my idea for space colonization and tourism in much detail. I am talking hundreds and maybe even thousands of kerbals at a time here, ring stations kilometers in diameter built be 100t 3D printers, stuff like that :wink:. With a little bit more of a simcity-like interface to play with, to make it easier to handle. (transfering 1000 kerbals in a ship, click by click would be painfull) You can't really do that with mods, or at least not right now.

4 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I didn't really explain my idea for space colonization and tourism in much detail. I am talking hundreds and maybe even thousands of kerbals at a time here, ring stations kilometers in diameter built be 100t 3D printers, stuff like that :wink:. With a little bit more of a simcity-like interface to play with, to make it easier to handle. (transfering 1000 kerbals in a ship, click by click would be painfull) You can't really do that with mods, or at least not right now.

@NSEP, I do understand, in this explanation, what you are talking about. Not only could you really mod that, but it would be nearly impossible to do without a serious rework of the KSP interface. I could see this being the focus of KSP 2.0 - with advanced colonization features.

There's a lot of discussion in the sci-fi world about how  colonization of worlds would proceed. Isaac Azimov envisioned small groups of 100 to 150 at a time, with sufficient time between colonist arrivals for the colony to stabilize and begin to build to receive its future new arrivals. Arthur C. Clarke did envision colonies of 1,000 or so at a time in the Rama series, but it always seemed far fetched, even for sci-fi. There have been other sci fi authors who have also handled colonization and how it would look but right now, with the papers I am grading, I simply cannot think of them at the moment. Maybe in a couple of weeks, I could once the funk of grading is receded into memory.

9 minutes ago, flart said:

They can hire writer(s), and sell cool historical or fictional missions. Really cool missions, you know, Shyamalan twist, etc.

This can be handled in the current DLC's mission builder.

48 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

This can be handled in the current DLC's mission builder.

It is free. They need to sell something, right? 

They can't sell parts, there are plenty of them, they can't make something monstrous, let say multiplayer, it would be KSP2, not DLC. 

I think people would buy cool mission-stories, 5 of them in the package for 1$. And then again. And then again, etc.

What I'd like to see:

-Detailed science, for ground exploration. 

-Budgets based on success vs time

DLC needs to be something moders are less likely to be able to do, (unless they have a really good way to do it.) and something achievable with without re-doing the whole game. 

Something like that mission builder thing. :

(Rant/background info hidden for people who just want to get to the Idea) 

Spoiler

I don't think ksp ever lived up to its full potential. It seems to me that the developers never really managed to get away from ksp's origins, as a game where you built rockets to see how far they would get. 

They added planets, and contracts, and "science" but these ultimately ended up being more advanced targets to get your vehicles to. Arrive, click something, then you're done. 

They never stopped to think up ways to flesh out the actual exploration aspects, or if they did, they gave up on it before they came up with something good. 

The thing that made KSP standout as a space game was how authentic the space experience was. It didn't feel like just a game-it felt like a you were facing the same issues real space pioneers faced. 

I think they need to bring that feel to the rest of the game. There have been moves in the right direction, like with the science lab, mining, launchpads, and communication systems, but it didn't go far enough. 

It should feel like I am actually doing something with the space missions I Iaunch, and be able to work reasons for missions on my own, not because a quest list told me. 

It should feel like I'm managing a space organization, not collecting points to unlock upgrades. 

And it should feel like it's worth spending time on a planet, and that there are things you can do wherever you are. 

Advanced science and ground exploration. 

-Data to collect. In addition to the existing measurable things (gravity, temp, pressure,) Stuff like radiation, ground material, humidity, etc. These values would vary spatially. This data would be based on slope, altitude, latitude, and distance from certain keypoints. 

-A data collection overlay for the planets. Each data point, and the location you collected it would be marked on the planet. This is better than a grid, as there's no pressure to get 100%, and new points can be added if you feel like it. 

The spread and density of your data will affect its value though. 

-new sensors to implement this. Including ones that Kerbals hold, taking advantage of their mobility. 

-new administrative tools on selling data vs open source 

-An extra science analysis Kerbal in the science building who makes you graphs and stuff. She could also advise on what data might be valuable getting. The value of data could vary, and a need for fresh data could be a reason to visit something twice, or set up a base near and interesting spot. 

Budgeting

-Kerbals now are paid every month, with larger pay for the time they spend on missions. This means you will need to be smart about hiring and firing, and train them so they are the most useful. 

-Money is earned from reasurch on stations and bases, per month, and from tourists paying to stay. 

-Grants are earned from government, based on your reputation, past achievements, and how recently you've done something interesting, plus a small political opinion variable. 

-A political opinion analyst kerbal- her job is to advise you on matters concerning the grants. 

-contracts, and part and fuel costs all work much the same. 

-a budget sheet with mortimer Kerman, which keeps a record of your income and expenses. 

Edited by Tw1

17 hours ago, Orbiter Space Program said:

most modded ones I have seen have no animation

I have a couple mod packs with animated landing struts / base legs. 

17 hours ago, klesh said:

I bought MH specifically and only for the parts.

I commend you for that, but you are in the vast minority I would think.  I think the majority of DLC sales were from the fact that KSP finally had DLC, with parts and a new game mode.    The next DLC is going to have to be pretty stupendous. 

On 04/22/2018 at 7:02 AM, Canopus said:

Causality says so. So yeah, there may be warp drives eventually but there will always be a natural mechanism that prevents faster than light travel.

Nope. There are ways around it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.