Shower thoughts

p1t1o

15 hours ago, Stormpilot said:

Why do humans have finger tips but not toe tips and we can tip toe but not tip finger?

Unfortunately a proper response for this question would violate Forum Rule 2.2 (Forbidden content), § c:

Content unsuitable for children, e.g. nudity, sexually suggestive or explicit images, excessive violence, gore and recreational drugs;

So I chose to remain silent.

Spoiler

(But I'm pretty sure you are hearing what I'm thinking right now... :sticktongue:)

On 6/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, Stormpilot said:

Why do humans have finger tips but not toe tips and we can tip toe but not tip finger?

Actually we do have those things, we just rarely mention them and it's "Tippy Finger". Every time you type on your keyboard you tippy finger across it.

Dredging up a thought from way back in this thread. Our solar system is an atom inside a cell that is inside a Kerbal.

A crappy high-quality delusion thought from @Ben J. Kerman!

Isn't everything technically "natural", as everything humans create or modify is still made from stuff from the earth, right? Even the most synthetic and processed materials started as something/some things mined, harvested, or otherwise received from the planet.

So technically, my smartphone is all natural! Not organic though, and it probably wouldn't be very tasty. "No Jeb, It's not THAT kind of blackberry!" (I have an iPhone, but then the joke wouldn't have worked)

The mobile crane in my PFP? Technically "natural". From the glass on the windshields to the fluid in the hydraulic cylinders to the rubber on the gigantic tires, it all started out as raw materials. Right? We can't really create new matter, so we modify it!

Of course there are different definitions for "natural" when it comes to food labeling, but I won't go into those/research them right now because I am kind of lazy, but mostly because my internet is slow right now.

Spoiler

This entire post is probably nothing more than an insane rant from some crazy, tired, crane-hungry maniac, so do not hold any of this against me if I am wrong or something.

49 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

Isn't everything technically "natural",

Nope. Advertising Agencies are unnatural. If I ever find the person who was too lazy to say "chemical free" and decided to use "organic" instead, I am going to give them a good talking to. If I have a carrot that got some pesticide on it, it doesn't suddenly turn into a rock and become inorganic. Advertisers, ruining the vocabularies of the generations to come.

8 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

If I have a carrot that got some pesticide on it, it doesn't suddenly turn into a rock and become inorganic.

YES!!! THANK YOU!!! THE HUMAN RACE ISN'T DOOMED, THERE ARE STILL SOME SMART (-ish :wink:) PEOPLE LEFT!!!!!! :D

I was almost going to go into that in my previous post, but I decided not to. I like it when there are other people that have the same ideas as me. it shows that my ideas are not insane, or other people around me are just as insane as me and have the same delusions :wink:.

Are instapeople aware that when they make selfies "from above", they look like blob-headed short-legged victims of rickets?

While the viewer feels like an ET looking at them from UFO, or like a microbiologist at the microscope.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/06/pentagon-cancels-10-billion-jedi-cloud-contract.html

Pentagon cancels $10 billion JEDI cloud contract that Amazon and Microsoft were fighting over

<snip>

The agency said it expects the new contract value to be in the multi-billions

The SITH.
Jedi loose.

Spoiler

bd1.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid

Am I the only one who thinks that putting Top Secret data in the cloud is a stupid idea? The government is perfectly happy blowing hundreds of billions of dollars on stupid crap, but to save a couple million a year on IT services at the Pentagon they're going to put the entire security of the nation in the hands of some IT security flunkies at Microsoft and Amazon. It was bad enough with it was just one of them, but now it's both. So it's all going to be passing through some middleware they cobble together. Really? This is the plan? Waiting to hear about the massive security breach in 3... 2... 1...

8 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

but to save a couple million a year on IT services at the Pentagon they're going to put the entire security of the nation in the hands of some IT security flunkies at Microsoft and Amazon.

Is it just to save money? You have same lofty expectations about the competency of US government IT services.

On a similar note, more worrying is the tendency of having remote control of energy infrastructure (switching stations, powerplants, etc) connected through the internet. You can’t hack what’s not connected, and it seems to be a major target.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Am I the only one who thinks that putting Top Secret data in the cloud is a stupid idea?

What can be more topper than clouds? Only Skynet.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Waiting to hear about the massive security breach in 3... 2... 1...

A P-Hub steganography.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Is it just to save money? You have same lofty expectations about the competency of US government IT services.

On a similar note, more worrying is the tendency of having remote control of energy infrastructure (switching stations, powerplants, etc) connected through the internet. You can’t hack what’s not connected, and it seems to be a major target.

My understanding is that most of the highly classified stuff right now is air-gapped, at least from the Internet. So, yeah, it's a cost saving measure, they're tired of maintaining a parallel network. The thing I always say about IT security is, "Never assume that you're smarter than the guy who is trying to get into your network." And this whole project just smacks of exactly that error.

And I am right there with you on the infrastructure thing. There are far too many things in the world that are being networked for the sake of convenience.

9 hours ago, TheSaint said:

My understanding is that most of the highly classified stuff right now is air-gapped, at least from the Internet. So, yeah, it's a cost saving measure, they're tired of maintaining a parallel network. The thing I always say about IT security is, "Never assume that you're smarter than the guy who is trying to get into your network." And this whole project just smacks of exactly that error.

And I am right there with you on the infrastructure thing. There are far too many things in the world that are being networked for the sake of convenience.

And one day someone is going to hack out a kill code that will brick all the IoT-enabled appliances. I didn’t even know my new fridge had wifi until it arrived. Still not sure why it has it, aside from “cuz it can”

6 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Still not sure why it has it, aside from “cuz it can”

???

How should your toaster and blender connect to the internet otherwise?

Please, show some respect to your new roommate.

It's not a "fridge", it's a Housekeeping Nutrition & Media Management Center.

It will keep under control your food consumption to make it healthy and professionally approven.

All bad foods will be removed, doors are locked between the scheduled nutrition seances (lunch, dinner, etc), one beer can per week.
In case of violation, your insurance company will be immediately informed via the internet.

11 hours ago, TheSaint said:

My understanding is that most of the highly classified stuff right now is air-gapped, at least from the Internet.

Might be a good thing to have it all (all agencies) out in the open for review by the world's people? Freedom For Information.

Edited by Hotel26

3 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Might be a good thing to have it all (all agencies) out in the open for review by the world's people? Freedom For Information.

I love your optimistic outlook. I just have a sneaking suspicion that isn't the way it will be.

3 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Might be a good thing to have it all (all agencies) out in the open for review by the world's people?

Do you really want to loose the last illusions?

The secrecy usually doesn't hide a presence, it usually hides an absence.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 7/7/2021 at 12:31 AM, Hotel26 said:

What, and let every crazy dictator know how to build WMDs and the rockets to deliver them? Worse yet, how to contact the extraterrestrials that brought the techs in the first place?!?

----------------------------------------------------------

As for my own random thoughts, I noticed this face of a quarry on a local mountain 

BBMevRV.png(cropped iPhone photo)

and suddenly thought that it could be the top of Homer Simpson's head and they have his whole face carved behind that ridge...

I should tweet this at the quarry company, maybe they'll make it happen lol...

Spoiler

17880771.jpg

Edited by StrandedonEarth
typo eventually fixed