Shower thoughts

p1t1o

If we had engines that had 2 fuel tanks, Hydrogen and Oxygen, and that was the combustion source, then could we drink the exhaust?

And I realise that creates an implosion rather than an explosion so you are pulling rather than pushing pistons.

57 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

If we had engines that had 2 fuel tanks, Hydrogen and Oxygen, and that was the combustion source, then could we drink the exhaust?

We could. If we were moving back enough fast to catch it.

I.e. if we were just staying on ground and drinking water instead of showing off with the rocket.

Drop the Tesla stock before it gets gone, and buy a 140-char messenger because they anyway can't send more from Mars and back.

P.S.
Btw, aren't there some expected shortages with electrocar chemical elements due to known events?

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, razark said:

I wouldn't trust water that's been run through an engine like that, though.  Various oil and metal shaving contaminates would probably need to be removed first.

If you've got significant amounts of oil and metal shavings in a LOx system, though, you've done something wrong. Though maybe we're talking about different kinds of engines.

On 5/8/2022 at 3:32 AM, ColdJ said:

Can't help but think of the song "Land of Confusion" by Genesis, about how long ago it came out and how no generation seems to be able to get it right.

And then comes the law of unintended consequences. For every one thing we attempt to solve in our generation, we create another problem or problems for future generations.

We have managed to overcome a lot of predjudices but we still have Powerful people destroying the lives of countless others just because they want to.

Yes, we have. But throughout human history, there are those who feel the best course of action is to always do things their way. It has always been this way but we have newer tools that allow their message to spread beyond the borders of the once isolated fiefdom. For example, on one of the campuses I've worked in the past, there was a department chair who was militant vegan. At every turn, and in every staff meeting, we were lectured on veganism and its "benefits." In one of my performance reviews at a university I worked at, I received an unsatisfactory score in one of the career goals set by the chair: to only eat vegan meals while on campus. I had to file a grievance and threaten a law suit to have that removed from my official evaluation.

People like this -- who believe they have the right to control the lives of others and the whole world would be better if everyone just followed their commands is why we have three-quarters of the issues in the world today.

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

People like this -- who believe they have the right to control the lives of others and the whole world would be better if everyone just followed their commands is why we have three-quarters of the issues in the world today.

Two ways of doing things: My way or the wrong way...

But the reality is that there's three ways of doing things: My way, your way, or the right way...

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

If you've got significant amounts of oil and metal shavings in a LOx system, though, you've done something wrong. Though maybe we're talking about different kinds of engines.

It was specified as a car engine. I suppose that is one way of dealing with tailgaters, though.

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Two ways of doing things: My way or the wrong way...

But the reality is that there's three ways of doing things: My way, your way, or the right way...

My way or the way my wife wants it done.

On 5/18/2022 at 5:47 AM, Pthigrivi said:

The world of Game of thrones summers and winters can last 3-10 years.
<...> how do they know what a year is?

They don't.

Spoiler

cersei-wine.gif

They also have citruses growing to the north from pines. The author never bothered with details.

And the same question about the two-sunned Tatooin.

On 5/18/2022 at 6:03 AM, Autochrome said:

What language do deaf people think in their head if they were deaf since birth?

One of the training practices in pseudo/quasi-Oriental esoterics is "to think without words". 
Try it, and you see that it's not that hard and also faster.
Just it's harder to build complicated constructions without practice.

As the speech center in the brain is a separated center of fine motorics, the speech is a secondary skill related to motion.

So, they say that mute people sometimes "speak" with gestures when sleep, but it's unlikely how they think. It's probably just their usual expression of thoughts.

Edited by kerbiloid

According to ru.wiki, the V-2 quality was very poor.

20% of the assembled rockets were sorted out, and every second of the launched ones exploded on launch.

I.e. 20% - sorted out (i.e paid but not used), 40% exploded in Britain, 40% exploded in Germany.

Conclusions;

1. Britain and Germany have been bombed with equal amount of V-2.

2. Germany was harmed by V-2 program more than Britain was.

3. While in Britain V-2 were hitting random, useless in military sense positions, in Germany most of them have hit rocket launchpads.

3.5. V-2 was the most effective counterforce anti-launchpad missile in history. Just reversed.