Shower thoughts

p1t1o

33 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

If you got a cup of water from the dead sea, how many cups of fresh water would you need to have it be indistinguishable from fresh water?

Basically you would have to add so much fresh water that the chances of ingesting the salt minerals is incredibly unlikely. Much better to evaporate and collect the condensation or run it through a filter that only allows the water molecules to get through.

Now I have a question. My understanding is that chemically pure water is bad for you, so do you need to add something to it after using the above methods, so as it is safe to drink?

22 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Now I have a question. My understanding is that chemically pure water is bad for you, so do you need to add something to it after using the above methods, so as it is safe to drink?

I have read (fiction, mind you, but since Clive Cussler was an oceanographer I’m inclined to believe it) that if stranded in the ocean with only rain for freshwater, you can stretch your water supply with up to 1 part seawater to 4 parts freshwater, to help replace the salts you are probably sweating out

28 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

My understanding is that chemically pure water is bad for you, so do you need to add something to it after using the above methods, so as it is safe to drink?

It lacks the salts. But you also consume the salts with food. So, together with food not more dangerous than your food mineral balance.

If just drink and sweat, you will be losing minerals quickly and fall down.

(Because the cardiovascular system will lack ions.)

11 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

It lacks the salts. But you also consume the salts with food. So, together with food not more dangerous than your food mineral balance.

If just drink and sweat, you will be losing minerals quickly and fall down.

(Because the cardiovascular system will lack ions.)

Thank you for the great answer.

On a totally different thing for a sec, because of something in a different thread, just because I need to vent.

I love it when someone tells me that something can't be done, after I have already done it. It's like they never took the time to read my signature. :/

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

We used to drink de-ionized water all the time back on the sub. The Secondary Sample Sink down in Engineroom Forward had a de-ionized water tap that was used for the chemical analysis that the lab techs did, and we used to fill up our cups from it when we wanted a drink. It tastes...funny. Off. Not bad, just different. You could definitely tell it wasn't normal.

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

We used to drink de-ionized water all the time back on the sub.

Ha, in the Army, we drank out of these things. And for those of us in the Army, don't tell us we can't taste a picture. Any U.S. Army veteran who just looks at this picture can taste it! :confused:

US+Army+Hard+Plastic+Canteen+1985+(2).jpg

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ha, in the Army, we drank out of these things. And for those of us in the Army, don't tell us we can't taste a picture. Any U.S. Army veteran who just looks at this picture can taste it! :confused:

US+Army+Hard+Plastic+Canteen+1985+(2).jpg

I have one exactly like that, with the tin cup underneath and the nylon web pouch and everything. Along with a web belt and a couple other utility pouches. My dad...appropriated it from the National Guard for me when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. My kids used to get a kick out of wearing it on hikes, just like I did at their age, but now they've outgrown it too. I guess I'll just hand it down to their kids at some point. :)

7 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I have one exactly like that, with the tin cup underneath and the nylon web pouch and everything. Along with a web belt and a couple other utility pouches. My dad...appropriated it from the National Guard for me when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. My kids used to get a kick out of wearing it on hikes, just like I did at their age, but now they've outgrown it too. I guess I'll just hand it down to their kids at some point. :)

I still have mine - CIF never asked for the second canteen issued to me before Desert Shield/Desert Storm and I never returned it when we got back to Germany. Oh, and a word for the wise - NEVER put tropical punch Kool-aid in it. The taste bonds to the plastic forever. That's the one I gave them - the one with the tropical punch flavor permanently bonded to the plastic!

On 2/28/2022 at 1:01 AM, Gargamel said:

Who the heck puts asparagus in lasagna?!

Eggplant, once it has been soaked, then placed in an egg wash, bread crumbs, and then fried in olive oil, makes a nice layer in lasagna.

4 hours ago, ColdJ said:

This comes from the fact that it is usually very bad to take in pure water via an IV.  As it lacks those previously mentioned salts, the salts that are already in the body will jump out of whatever cell they're in and join the water.  That's why you are given Saline, which is .9% salt in water, that shouldn't cause any fluid or electrolyte shifts in the body.   There are times, in certain situations, where giving hyper or hypotonic IV fluid is called for, depending on the desired outcome.  

If one was trying to build a crewed space station to steal the Shuttle from orbit, he would design it matching the Shuttle cargo bay dimensions, to crawl in, fit the bay without scratching, close the doors, and kidnap the Shuttle from orbit.

Wait...

On 3/25/2022 at 12:10 PM, Admiral Fluffy said:

Would the roman numeral for 0 be II?

There is no "0" in the Roman numeral system. That's why our calendar is messed up. Technically, the decades run from 1 to X0, not X0 to 9. So, the next decade does not begin on 2030, but 2031.

12 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

There is no "0" in the Roman numeral system.

I know, but here is my logic kind of explained.  Using the roman numeral system, this is 1: I. This is 4: IV. The one in front means it is one less than 5. One less than 1 is 0. Using that logic, II would be 0. It would also be 2. 

Funny, but their calendar also uses negative values.

Fifth day till January calendae...
Forth day till January calendae...

I.e. -5 Jan, -4 Jan, -3 Jan, ...

Something very strange was happening with the Ancient Roman internal logic...

Like with American prices.  $1498.

Two cents till 15 dollars.

14 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

I know, but here is my logic kind of explained.  Using the roman numeral system, this is 1: I. This is 4: IV. The one in front means it is one less than 5. One less than 1 is 0. Using that logic, II would be 0. It would also be 2. 

Um, historian here. If you notice in each of your examples, the Romans understood that when the smaller number is written first (left to right), it is a subtraction function. If the number values are equal, or the first is greater, both are addition.

• II = 2. It will NEVER equal 0. There is no 0. The only ancient cultures that had a "nill" placeholder were the ancient Hindi Indians and ancient Chinese.
  • XX = 20, again, it will NEVER equal 0.
  • XV = 15
  • XC= 90, IX = 9. And so forth.

14 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

That's a consumer gimmick.

Americans are fickle when it comes to spending money, although this pricing trend started in the 19th century. Back in those days, when the U.S. currency was fixed to an ounce of gold was worth around $20.00, the U.S. penny had value. The expression every penny counted really had common understanding and meaning in America. Most consumers would balk at paying $2.00 for a shirt from the general store or even through a catalog (considering a postage stamp was around 2¢).  Richard Sears, who began selling stuff out of catalogs, would price his stuff at odd increments, such as $1.96 or $1.99. Not really much cheaper than the general store's price of $2.00 (most rounded to the nearest nickel up or down, to prevent dealing with change) which was very popular with the American consumer.

By the early 1920s, the trend caught on. This is why by the 1920s, we had a lot of chain stores and catalog stores (J.C. Penny, Montgomery Wards, Sears and Roebucks, Woolworth) that pretty much bankrupted the local hometown general store - by offering those oddball prices. Even today, you'd be surprised how this works. Places like WalMart will sometimes only be cheaper than local or other national merchants by mere pennies (your $14.98 rather than $15.00), and the American consumer will shop at Walmart to save those two stupid pennies every time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by adsii1970

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Pricing Psychology.

Most people see "14 and something", instead of "almost 15". And since 14 is smaller than 15, they bite.

I recommend exercising discretion on reading the following site, where this subject is explored:

https://www.nickkolenda.com/psychological-pricing-strategies/

The first time I had learnt about Pricing Psychology, I got angry for days. :P