Original Parts As 'Classic Style' DLC

For those who aren't aware, Squad has been remodeling the older parts in KSP. The biggest change thus far being the complete replacement of the 2.5m parts. Some like it. I however am attached to this classic appearance of the parts and would like to at least have them available for us to use in future versions. Personally, I would like to just have them as an alternative texture now that a feature has been implemented, but if Squad/T2 is so hard for cash, I'd even pay for a DLC that would guarantee that these parts would (in some part) remain in the game. Including the original 2.5m parts as well. Another DLC (or contained as an option) could offer the original parts from 0.7.3 if players so desired as well. Mods like In With The New And Old show that there is at least some demand for keeping the originals. Spoiler belows, shows a list of what parts are being overhauled for an example of how much is changing.

@Spartwo has already made a post about ensuring compatibility of these parts in future versions so I'll leave that to him.

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_pcwiyzSg561rr2wit_540.png

tumblr_inline_pec7qgsxbh1rr2wit_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_pdz4zwzZaP1rr2wit_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_pd98i9m3XA1rr2wit_540.png

But feel free to let me know what you think.

1 hour ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Theres already a mod for that:D

Which kills any potential sales. 

Although, if it was like a $3-$5 DLC, I can see it having a niche.  Squad owns the parts, and I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to ask the creator of that mod to withdraw that mod, as the IP he is distributing is technically Squads. 

All credit goes to Squad for the original parts.

(And yes, I know the can of worms I just opened.  I apologize in advance, but let's keep the rhetoric to a minimum please.)

Just now, HebaruSan said:

You think the fan base would react positively to being sold content they already paid for?

And yeah, there's that point too. 

2 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

But why a DLC?

Theres already a mod for that:D

That would make two as I already mentioned that mods exist. See my first hyperlink.

45 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

You think the fan base would react positively to being sold content they already paid for?

If Squad continues their current course it would no longer be in the product at all.

47 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Which kills any potential sales. 

Although, if it was like a $3-$5 DLC, I can see it having a niche.  Squad owns the parts, and I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to ask the creator of that mod to withdraw that mod, as the IP he is distributing is technically Squads.

Mods however can die and take all backwards compatibility for crafts with them. Not to mention they have no guarantee of being compatible version to version. Squad however, with a paid product- would be obligated to maintain a working product.

If it was a free DLC, absolutely. But not paid, because:

21 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I think this is a good idea otherwise. The old parts could have a sharpening-up of their textures (not actually changing them at all, just making them slightly better quality) and I think they would work quite well alongside the new parts.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:02 PM, Gargamel said:

Squad owns the parts, and I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to ask the creator of that mod to withdraw that mod, as the IP he is distributing is technically Squads.

But by buying KSP, we already bought the license for those parts... it takes only minor text edits to the old .cfg files to get them to work. You can just go into steam and download an old version (or download even older free versions like 0.13).

Nope, I don't see a way to make this work

@ZooNamedGamesI agree with this idea but drop the DLC requirement that is going to cost me money.

KerikBalm already said it, we paid for it, so why pay extra? It's just some skin thrown on top what already exist. The only validation for putting it in a DLC is if the DLC has major new content all by itself and the old/new texture skins is just a added bonus.

I would like a next/previous setup button or whatever it should be called so one can toggle through different textures on a single part to help minimize the part list. I also like the old pre v 1.0 legacy parts.
Things such as the old wing parts and the old Mk1 cockpit.

All of this can be part of a DLC, although preferably never of course. As long as it is not the major content the DLC consists while paying for loads of new extras then that course of action is OK. But only then!

@StarStreak2109 You hit the nail on the head, twice.

On 9/2/2018 at 12:04 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

For those who aren't aware, Squad has been remodeling the older parts in KSP. The biggest change thus far being the complete replacement of the 2.5m parts. Some like it. I however am attached to this classic appearance of the parts and would like to at least have them available for us to use in future versions. Personally, I would like to just have them as an alternative texture now that a feature has been implemented, but if Squad/T2 is so hard for cash, I'd even pay for a DLC that would guarantee that these parts would (in some part) remain in the game. Including the original 2.5m parts as well. Another DLC (or contained as an option) could offer the original parts from 0.7.3 if players so desired as well. Mods like In With The New And Old show that there is at least some demand for keeping the originals. Spoiler belows, shows a list of what parts are being overhauled for an example of how much is changing.

@Spartwo has already made a post about ensuring compatibility of these parts in future versions so I'll leave that to him.

Hide contents

tumblr_inline_pcwiyzSg561rr2wit_540.png

tumblr_inline_pec7qgsxbh1rr2wit_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_pdz4zwzZaP1rr2wit_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_pd98i9m3XA1rr2wit_540.png

But feel free to let me know what you think.

I love that Mk1 revamp. @Ven's revamp already does that, but having it stock would be so much better.

On 9/4/2018 at 1:31 AM, StarStreak2109 said:

Why are you guys clamoring for ways to throw away money all the time, especially for parts you already have...

I remember, when the sheer mention of a DLC would cause an outrage...

It still does in the more intelligent sections of the gaming community.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.