[1.8-1.12] Ferram Aerospace Research Continued: v0.16.0.5 "Mader" 03/04/22

dkavolis

16 hours ago, Miruzuki said:

Hello.

After FAR installing I'm getting a warning from Scale Redist Watch Dog: "scale redist dll must be directly on game data and be named 999_Scale_Redist_dll". If I install TweakScale, then it's telling me that "there're more than one Scale Redist dll on this KSP installment" (because the real 999_Scale_Redist_dll is coming with TweakScale). As far as I understand, this is because FAR has Scale_Redist.dll at ~\GameData\FerramAerospaceResearch\Plugins.

So what should I do? Delete FAR's Scale_Redist.dll (since I have 999_Scale_Redist_dll from TweakScale) or just ignore the warning?

That is question for @Lisias to answer. I think it is being asked and answered recently in this thread, but that info may already be obsolete.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:35 PM, Miruzuki said:

So what should I do? Delete FAR's Scale_Redist.dll (since I have 999_Scale_Redist_dll from TweakScale) or just ignore the warning?

There can be only one! :)

The 999_Scale_Redist.dll is the canon one. Any other copies on the GameData should be deleted.

The warning only happens when TweakScale is installed because the (potential) problems only happens when TweakScale and the known TweakScale clients are installed. :) (there's no point on pesking the user about multiple copies of something that will not be used).

Cheers!

Edited by Lisias
Tyop!

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

There can be only one! :)

The 999_Scale_Redist.dll is the canon one. Any other copies on the GameData should be deleted.

The warning only happens when TweakScale is installed because the (potential) problems only happens when TweakScale is and the known TweakScale clients are installed. :) (there's no point on pesking the user about multiple copies of something that will not be used).

Cheers!

Okay, so I'm deleting this ~\GameData\FerramAerospaceResearch\Plugins\Scale_Redist.dll and keeping my ~\GameData\999_Scale_Redist.dll from TweakScale.

Thanks.

HI, Im playing RSS/RO

My problem is that my aerodynamics disappear, I mean, the center of lift does not adapt to the fins (wings) and they do not have any effect (I rotate the fins so that my rocket rotates but the rocket acts as if it does not have fins), none fin or wing has "wing surface" and I don't understand why, it is solved by reinstalling FAR and B9ProceduralWings, so I imagine that the problem may come from one of those (probably FAR since it also removes the wing surface from the stock wings ), I play a stable version of RP-1 in 1.11.1, but I have updated the FAR and B9 Procedural mods to the latest version and this happened.

Sorry for my english, i use google translate. :D

PD: This is my player.log and KSP.log, if u need some more tell me. Thanks for help.
player.log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1viPuwjHK0Z1OYriDOK1LxMm1XE0f9poW/view?usp=sharing
KSP.log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Nqss6wX3s8jtyN8j_wGeFxWWdx9dJTt/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Balaguer23

Far seems to be updating even on space... Can it be disabled? I am getting so many log messages from far when I am in space.... 

EDIT:

Just by removing FAR I removed a continues stutter with a big station in space. I am in space so FAR shouldn't be causing lag. It should be disabled in space, if possible. Sorry for being so harsh but I love this mod and I can't play with it if it gives me so much lag in space. TY

Edited by Agustin

Hey guys, so I'm running KSP version 1.11.1 and I'm using Ferram Aerospace Version 0.16.0.4 (downloaded from ckan) I wanna download B9 aerospace pack, but It seems like it's TECHNICALLY not compatible with this ksp version. Has anyone out there tried it on 1.11.x? does it work? And with ferram Aerospace? Thanks!

2 hours ago, SpaceTJ said:

Hey guys, so I'm running KSP version 1.11.1 and I'm using Ferram Aerospace Version 0.16.0.4 (downloaded from ckan) I wanna download B9 aerospace pack, but It seems like it's TECHNICALLY not compatible with this ksp version. Has anyone out there tried it on 1.11.x? does it work? And with ferram Aerospace? Thanks!

Yup, I have the latest version of B9 IIRC and it works fine, this tends to be true of relatively simple part pack type mods so long as nothing too big changes in the base game.

4 hours ago, Zmeya said:

Yup, I have the latest version of B9 IIRC and it works fine, this tends to be true of relatively simple part pack type mods so long as nothing too big changes in the base game.

Thanks!! I downloaded and so far it's working fine so far. :D

Ok, I have another question here. Anyone else out there running ksp 1.11.1 with Ferram Aerospace version  0.16.0.4? I'm running that. I'm having some trouble with the center of lift indicator. I'm aware that FAR replaces the normal blue ball with the arrow with just a blue ball. I see it, but it's incredibly glitchy. It'll disappear/re-appear as you move around or build your plane in the SPH, it'll sometimes jump to the  bottom of the hangar below the craft and come back.. etc I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if it means there's something wrong with the indicator or is it just a visual glitch.  Also since FAR breaks the standard bright blue ball with an arrow does it provide another way to know where your CoL is? (other than that blue ball which is glitchy for me)

Thanks!

Some overdue bugfixes

Ferram Aerospace Research v0.16.0.5 "Mader"

Fix cfg syntax errors, thanks @HebaruSan #132
Sanitize vessel filenames, thanks @HebaruSan #131
FAR aerodynamic are now presets MM-configurable #130
_FARPartModule also recognizes ModuleRestockLaunchClamp, thanks @Gordon-Dry #129
Improve KSPWheel support for the toggle gear button, thanks @simmav #128
Fix crash due to log messages from voxelization worker threads

On 4/13/2022 at 1:02 AM, DuckDuckCute said:

Is there a adjustable parameter in FAR's setting that can incrase the LIFT force generated?It's very insufficient for non-supersonic aircraft.

You can give your low speed aircraft a few degrees angle of incidence, 2 to 5 degrees is what I found to be effective. This is something that real life aircraft do as well: Why Would You Want To Change Your Angle Of Incidence? | Boldmethod

Hi, the post below was originally posted on the KCT thread. linuxgurugamer looked over my log file and suggested I post my issue here so, here it is.

Hi, I needs some help fixing this error I keep getting from KCT.

I'm having this reicuring problem with my carrere save. 

Here is my mods list:

Spoiler

AtmosphereAutopilot (Fly-By-Wire) (AtmosphereAutopilot v1.5.18)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.20.0)
Better Load Save Game Renewed (BetterLoadSaveGame 2.5.3.4)
Better SR Bs (BetterSRBs 1.2.6)
BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.13)
Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.7.1)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.17)
CommNet Antennas Extension (CommNetAntennasExtension 2.1.7)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.4.2)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.4)
Community Terrain Texture Pack (CommunityTerrainTexturePack 1:1.0.4)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.30.5)
Crowd Sourced Science (CrowdSourcedScience v6.0)
Cryo Tanks (CryoTanks 1.6.4)
Cryo Tanks Core (CryoTanks-Core 1.6.4)
Cryogenic Engines (CryoEngines 1:2.0.6)
Cryogenic Engines - Near Future Aeronautics (CryoEngines-NFAero 2.0.6)
Custom Barn Kit (CustomBarnKit 1.1.22.0)
Deployable Engines Plugin (DeployableEngines 1.3.1)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.3.1)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.3.1)
Dynamic Battery Storage (DynamicBatteryStorage 2:2.2.5.0)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.3)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.6.1)
Far Future Technologies (FarFutureTechnologies 1.2.0)
Ferram Aerospace Research Continued (FerramAerospaceResearchContinued 3:0.16.0.5)
Harmony 2 (Harmony2 2.0.4.0)
Heat Control (HeatControl 0.6.1)
Kerbal Actuators (KerbalActuators v1.8.4)
Kerbal Atomics (KerbalAtomics 1:1.3.3)
Kerbal Changelog (KerbalChangelog v1.4.2)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.9.0)
Kerbalism (Kerbalism 3.14)
Kerbalism - Default Config (Kerbalism-Config-Default 3.14)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.12.1-87)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.12.1)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.10.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.1)
Near Future Aeronautics (NearFutureAeronautics 2.1.1)
Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 1.2.3)
Near Future Electrical - Decaying RTGs (NearFutureElectrical-DecayingRTGs 1.2.3)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 1.2.3)
Near Future Exploration (NearFutureExploration 1.1.2)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 1:0.7.1)
Near Future Launch Vehicles (NearFutureLaunchVehicles 2.2.0)
Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 1.3.5)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 1.3.2)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 1.3.2)
Near Future Spacecraft (NearFutureSpacecraft 1.4.3)
Outer Planets Mod (OuterPlanetsMod 2:2.2.10)
Planes With Purposes (ContractConfigurator-PlanesWithPurposes 1.5)
PlanetInfoPlus (PlanetInfoPlus 1.4)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.6)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.6)
Procedural Fairings (ProceduralFairings 1:v6.2)
Real Plume (RealPlume 2:v13.3.2)
Real Plume - Stock Configs (RealPlume-StockConfigs v4.0.8)
Realistic Atmospheres (RealisticAtmospheres 1.3.2)
RemoteTech Redev Antennas (RemoteTechRedevAntennas 0.1.1)
ReStock (ReStock 1.4.3)
ReStock+ (ReStockPlus 1.4.3)
Scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0831)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0831)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0831)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.8.14.0)
Space Dust (SpaceDust 0.4.3)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.8.4)
SRB Waterfall Effects (SWE) (SRBWaterfallEffects 1.3)
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux (StationPartsExpansionRedux 2.0.6)
System Heat (SystemHeat 0.5.6)
System Heat - Nuclear Engine Configuration (SystemHeat-FissionEngines 0.5.6)
System Heat - Nuclear Reactor Configuration (SystemHeat-FissionReactors 0.5.6)
System Heat - Resource Converter Configuration (SystemHeat-Converters 0.5.6)
System Heat - Resource Harvester Configuration (SystemHeat-Harvesters 0.5.6)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.6)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.4.3)
Waterfall - Restock (WaterfallRestock 0.2.3)
Waterfall Core (Waterfall 0.8.1)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.8.3.3)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.2.4)

Here is my Player.log file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s6YUG4y6Oew45_1nPJRkkyAla9Z3oKJv/view?usp=sharing

When I load a vessel, like a rover for example, everything seems to be normal except that the trajectories window is stuck open and the trajectoris target indicator is stuck on. 

Image: 

https://imgur.com/dXsmTQ3

When I return to the space center I get this message, which I also get if I quit to main menue and load the save:

Image:

https://imgur.com/TXd6H79

The debug consule is also being spammed with argument null exceptions if that is usefull infomation. When this happens the frame rate drops to single digets and I am unable to do anything except close ksp.

I am only expirencing this problem on the latest save of my carreer mode save, my next latest save doesn't have this problem.

Save from april 16th: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KFSow5YDUTwE0CUUqY-6rCQJZYgZv4N1/view?usp=sharing

save from april 15th: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NQ7ym-QwEDcdzvgu9Z_ksD8r1d5oWiBd/view?usp=sharing

I would include steps to reproduce this problem on a fresh save but I can't because don't what is causing the problem in the first place.

I need help figuring out what is causing this problem.

Does anyone know if there's a way to export the data FAR shows in the vehicle editor UIs to CSV files or similar?  I'd like to be able to output Cd*A data as a function of Mach number, vehicle attitude, etc for use in external applications.

I'm having a problem with variable geometry/swing wings.  When I sweep it back, the wings seem to produce an a lot of sideways lift and an abnormal amount of drag that cancels the lift, making my plane not able to accelerate any further. Here are some pics

r/KerbalAcademy - (FAR) I have finally made my Tomcats wings stable thanks to the comments on my last post. But I'm having a glitch/problem with FAR, when I rotate it to full sweep it generates an abnormal amount of drag, I am guessing this is a glitch. How do I fix it?

r/KerbalAcademy - The wingtips near the body seem to be generating the abnormal amount of drag, yes I have tried lowering it. I just put it above so where the drag is coming from is more visible.

The wingtips near the body seem to be generating an abnormal amount of drag, yes I have tried lower/clipping it, I just put it above so its more visible where the drag is coming from

r/KerbalAcademy - Mach 1.2 at 10km. Even at high altitudes the drag exceeds the lift.

Have the similar issue ,Sometimes high attack angle pitch at  low speed causes  Abnormal Wing tip drag ,  The force appears to be intense . 

PS:My craft is the complete replicate of the F-35, so other  aerodynamics  works just fine .

Edited by jebycheek

On 5/1/2022 at 7:20 AM, PlinPlinPlon said:

I'm having a problem with variable geometry/swing wings.  When I sweep it back, the wings seem to produce an a lot of sideways lift and an abnormal amount of drag that cancels the lift, making my plane not able to accelerate any further.

What are you using for hinges ? Stock robotic parts or Infernal robotics. Stock parts does not work with FAR, it is known issue, while IR properly call triger to update FAR aerodynamics when necessary (after moving robotic parts).

On 5/9/2022 at 4:14 AM, kcs123 said:

What are you using for hinges ? Stock robotic parts or Infernal robotics. Stock parts does not work with FAR, it is known issue, while IR properly call triger to update FAR aerodynamics when necessary (after moving robotic parts).

I'm using Infernal Robotics

On 5/9/2022 at 4:14 AM, kcs123 said:

(FAR) An update to my post 2 days ago. I've made an interesting discovery. Original post was an abnormal amount of drag caused by sweeping my wings. : KerbalAcademy (reddit.com)

This post of mine on reddit has more info about this

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I've been using this mod now a few weeks and some observations.

1. Simple subsonic low altitude bank and turn maneuvers feel much more natural. In stock, a fairly high bank angle and elevator angle produces a quite slow turn rate. Stock never seemed right to me. 
  2. Transonic drag is reduced noticeably. I'm not sure which is more "right" but it's easier to transition through 350 m/s in FAR than stock. I see in the custom settings it defaults to 70% drag. After struggling to break the sound barrier with some heavy spaceplanes in Stock, it's easy to notice the difference. 
  3. L/D under 300 m/s seems too good in FAR.  Gliding a spaceplane to land, it seems to glide like it had full fuel when it was almost empty. If I approach at 200 m/s about 1.5 km up and 15 km out...engine off with the gear down... it comes in so fast I can't even land. It soars past the runway still going over 100 m/s. It feels like the plane has full fuel but it's almost empty.  In stock it would barely get to the runway. I changed the realism setting to "full drag, strict area ruling" and it's the same.  Anybody else find the gear drag is too low and/ or low speed drag is too low? I can see this in the editor FARc analysis... the L/D plot only changes a few pixels for gear up/ down.
  4. I had to attempt reentry several times because I couldn't slow down and crashed in #3. One time I forgot to shift remaining fuel forward to compensate for deploying a satellite, I entered retrograde and tried to flip forward and it was unstable... it went in to an awesome supersonic flat spin. Definitely wouldn't do that in stock.  Very nice.

On 6/6/2022 at 12:11 AM, Krazy1 said:

Hi. I've been using this mod now a few weeks and some observations.

1. L/D under 300 m/s seems too good in FAR.  Gliding a spaceplane to land, it seems to glide like it had full fuel when it was almost empty. If I approach at 200 m/s about 1.5 km up and 15 km out...engine off with the gear down... it comes in so fast I can't even land. It soars past the runway still going over 100 m/s. It feels like the plane has full fuel but it's almost empty.  In stock it would barely get to the runway. I changed the realism setting to "full drag, strict area ruling" and it's the same.  Anybody else find the gear drag is too low and/ or low speed drag is too low? I can see this in the editor FARc analysis... the L/D plot only changes a few pixels for gear up/ down.

If you're 15 km out and 1.5 km up and maintain the same speed the whole way in (start at 200 m/s, end at 200 m/s), that corresponds to a L/D ratio of 10, which is about as good as a Cessna 172. Airliners typically have a L/D at their best glide AOA of about 15/1 or 20/1. Assuming an average speed of 150 m/s the whole way, slowing down from 200 m/s to 100 m/s in 15 km corresponds to a time of 100 seconds and a deceleration of 1 m/s^2 (or 1/10th of a gee), so you're not even making a 10/1 L/D there. So I'd say your L/D is reasonable. One big problem is that the mountains to the west of the KSC enforce a fairly aggressive descent rate for prograde reentries landing at the KSC, so if you have a spaceplane with better aerodynamics that a brick, you generally have to take some sort of measures to slow down once you're across the mountains. Airbreaks or spoilers of some type are generally helpful here. S-curves can be your friend: A spaceplane will generally be engineered with a delta planform for high-mach performance, which tends to enhance induced drag at subsonic speeds, so a few high-AOA turns can slow you down quite a bit.

EDIT: What I have found is that FAR planes tend to have both less lift and less drag than stock, so takeoff / landing speeds are often ~50% higher. Building aircraft optimized for short-field performance is often an exercise in frustration. I think some of this may have to do that most KSP airfoils are flat plates (which doesn't have really great real-world characteristics), and often fairly thick ones at that (once again, not great).

Edited by jwbrase