BMoscato

Aliens or alien technology on other planets?

It would be cool if there were aliens on distant planets in the game where you can interact and gain technology or items.

• Like 2

Kerbal Space Program is a game about designing rockets and progressing a space program. Not about seeking new life and new technologies, when we already have RnD. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BMoscato said:

So, what's the purpose in real life of our space program?

Exactly! Good rhetorical question 

15 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Exactly! Good rhetorical question 

Not true, I wasn't being dramatic nor did I posed a question that I did not expect a response to. I understand that KSP is a sandbox game and part of the fun is creating a vessel that can make the journey to distant planets and explore them for resources and possible habitation. I was questioning the possibility of encountering intelligent life on our journeys to far off planets.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-is-taking-a-new-look-at-searching-for-life-beyond-earth

I would say no to finding inteligent  alien life.But i would like to find remains of cities and maybe a few animals that could damage your ship.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

I would say no to finding inteligent  alien life.But i would like to find remains of cities and maybe a few animals that could damage your ship.

By animals on an alien planet, do you mean aliens? Joking... I agree, remains of alien cities or civilizations would be cool.

4 hours ago, BMoscato said:

So, what's the purpose in real life of our space program?

Well, given KSP is supposed to be an analog to our current space programs, if not slightly advanced in some areas, lacking in others, the concept of interstellar travel is right out the window in a stock game.   While I personally hold out hope there is other life somewhere in our solar system, and we will discover it within my lifetime, it will have no real affects on the space program, in terms of KSP gameplay.   There are already icons within the stock game that hint at alien life, but none is present within the system.

So in order to find intelligent life that we could interact with, that would require interstellar travel.   That is not feasible within the stock game.  There are no other stars to visit, let alone planets.   The technologies that are required to go interstellar do not exist within the game.   Although, an argument can be made that since stock does not have a life support mechanic, that kerbals are immortal and can easily survive the long time frames required to make the journey.   But I find that to be completely unrealistic and immersion breaking. 

There is already a mechanic in the game to allow for the acquisition of advanced technologies within the stock game, the Green Monoliths.  

If this were to be added to the game, it should be done as a mod.  Working with the planet packs, a civilization could be created on some of the distant ones.  Landing near one would enable the access to a variety of new techs, which would be part of the tech tree, but so costly that they would be unobtainable by normal means (of course, leave it to the KSP player base to take that as a challenge "Here, hold my snacks!"). 

Perhaps, perhaps, this would make for a really nice DLC.   If they did it right, it would avoid my arguments that pre existing mods would negate most sales of a DLC, so they could actually turn enough profit to make it worth the development costs.    It would also serve as a platform for other planets packs to be based on, similar to the mission builder editor. 

But then, that goes back to my original argument, how to get there?  The stock game just isn't set up for that time of game play. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Perhaps, perhaps, this would make for a really nice DLC.   If they did it right, it would avoid my arguments that pre existing mods would negate most sales of a DLC, so they could actually turn enough profit to make it worth the development costs.    It would also serve as a platform for other planets packs to be based on, similar to the mission builder editor. 

But then, that goes back to my original argument, how to get there?  The stock game just isn't set up for that time of game play. 

Combining aspects of KSP-I and Near future mods, as well as adding in a binary to Kerbol. But it would need to be original, and feature things mods don't have, or at least improve on what mods offer.

However, finding ancient bases over the Kerbol system would be a nice DLC too... discovering a strange humanoid civilization that wiped itself out long before you got there. Could be a neat story pack (Optional, so you could explore it however you want, to keep the sandbox parts of KSP)

Squad has always firmly said that there will be no aliens in KSP.

So, your guess is as good as ours if it will be added.

• Like 2

There already are aliens in KSP. The crashed UFOs! (I know it's an easter egg but it still counts as 'alien' kinda)

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

6 hours ago, BMoscato said:

By animals on an alien planet, do you mean aliens? Joking... I agree, remains of alien cities or civilizations would be cool.

You may want to check out Val...

And you can get modded worlds too:

bYey5VV.png

AsTTCES.png

(can be a bit hard to see, but its an airstrip)

ZZbV4Q2.png

Edited by KerikBalm
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 6:34 PM, KerbolExplorer said:

I think the same, it would be more interesting to find remains of alien life that makes you think: What happened to the aliens? why the remains still here? etc

also by doing this we could have exploration ships to find remains of life and do science stuff

• Like 1