Rover 6428

Add Stephen Kerman as a homage to Stephen Hawking

Add Stephen Kerman as a homage to Stephen Hawking  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Stephen Kerman to be added in?

• Yes, Stephen Hawking cameo should be implemented
    • No, Stephen Hawking cameo should not be implemented

Hi

2 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

In a tiny-little Kerbal wheelchair. 

Ain't nobody need no wheelchair in space.

5a988199487ff91e008b462e-750-375.jpg

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Ain't nobody need no wheelchair in space.

Lol! I forgot about that!

Well, yeah; but what about when he EVA's on Kerbin?

6 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Lol! I forgot about that!

Well, yeah; but what about when he EVA's on Kerbin?

If I were him, and got to actually go to space... I would not come back.

• Like 1

Nope. The original Kerbals aren't direct representatives of anybody in particular, and Val is an homage to many different people.  

But I would seriously lobby for a Comnet Ground Station to be renamed in his honor though.  There's one for Bill Nye, and another for Harvestr, this seems to be the place to do memorials within KSP.   This is how KSP seems to honor people who have influenced, but have not directly been involved with spaceflight (although Nye being the president of the Planetary Society....). 

Hawking was never directly a part of any space program (AFAIK), so giving him a cameo role in some of the windows, doesn't really fit in my mind. 

• Like 9

What you could also do is go into your save file using something like Notepad, go down to the Kerbal area, and edit it so you can have a custom kerbal name. That's what I do to get custom names in my games

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What you could also do is go into your save file using something like Notepad, go down to the Kerbal area, and edit it so you can have a custom kerbal name. That's what I do to get custom names in my games

You can also just create kerbals with the F12 "cheat" menu.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

You can also just create kerbals with the F12 "cheat" menu.

True this xD

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Nope. The original Kerbals aren't direct representatives of anybody in particular, and Val is an homage to many different people.  

But I would seriously lobby for a Comnet Ground Station to be renamed in his honor though.  There's one for Bill Nye, and another for Harvestr, this seems to be the place to do memorials within KSP.   This is how KSP seems to honor people who have influenced, but have not directly been involved with spaceflight (although Nye being the president of the Planetary Society....). 

Hawking was never directly a part of any space program (AFAIK), so giving him a cameo role in some of the windows, doesn't really fit in my mind. 

but he contributed a lot to the understanding of the universe

13 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

but it would just be a normal kerbal, not a cameo

Edited by Rover6428
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rover6428 said:

but it would just be a normal kerbal, not a cameo

Kerbal names outside of Jeb, Valentina, Bill and Bob are randomly generated, so you never know what name you will get for your kerbals. In fact, once I got a kerbal named Taco Kerman ^_^

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rover6428 said:

So did a lot of other people, countless others.   Why no memorials for them?  Heck, I'd say Feynman and Sagan would deserve a cameo role before Hawking.    Hawking was a genius, who did some amazing work in the world of physics, but not more than any other physicist who also has ground breaking work.  What made him famous was his disease, and his ability to both continue to work and even survive.   He was a great physicist, but no greater than any other great physicist. 

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Heck, I'd say Feynman and Sagan would deserve a cameo

Are you forgetting about Carl Sagan's face on the surface of Dres?

32 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Are you forgetting about Carl Sagan's face on the surface of Dres?

No, cause I hadn't heard of that one....

Just now, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Either way, I wasn't forgetting, as I don't recall it.   LOL. 

But yeah, It's not that I'm anti-hawking here, I'm not, I just think there are better ways to create memorials within the game rather than Cameo's.   The Ground stations, easter eggs, etc.   That was my real point, and I distracted myself on another tangent. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

But yeah, It's not that I'm anti-hawking here, I'm not, I just think there are better ways to create memorials within the game rather than Cameo's.   The Ground stations, easter eggs, etc.   That was my real point, and I distracted myself on another tangent. 

I understand your point entirely : )

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I guess it does not have to be a kerbalised Hawking

Edited by Rover6428
  • Like 1

Can we get the capability of adding Syllables to whatever random name generator algorithm KSP currently implements? Or atleast get a look at what have they put in the first place?

As for specific people, I vote for the syllables 'Had' and 'Field' be added so we can have some really lucky stuff while at the same time, coming up with interesting names. Rofield Kerman anyone? What about Hadling?

12 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Can we get the capability of adding Syllables to whatever random name generator algorithm KSP currently implements? Or atleast get a look at what have they put in the first place?

As for specific people, I vote for the syllables 'Had' and 'Field' be added so we can have some really lucky stuff while at the same time, coming up with interesting names. Rofield Kerman anyone? What about Hadling?

I agree. A thingy to add random names will help, as well as making it a ton of fun.

I have Hawking station orbiting my SSRSS Earth, of course with Stephen Kerman sitting in the honorary cupola module.

Usually I create most of my relevant Kerbals myself, with the F12 cheat menu.

But not as an astronaut, Hawking was not an astronaut. Which does not mean that there should not be a male kerbal that will represent some real astronaut, just like Valentina is a female character based on a real person.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2018 at 8:21 AM, Gargamel said:

I second this, and there is need for an extra ground station on the peninsula east of KSC anyways.

How about adding some parts to the name generator: 'Ste' as a prefix and 'phen' as a suffix. There's a higher probability that Ste will be paired with Phen than any other name.

Here's an idea; having some asteroids be named after people involved with space instead of the random numbers.

• Like 1