Dislike Reactions

Gapone

22 hours ago, Lisias said:

And a even bigger one to ones that know how to appreciate a good prank! :)

(that last one? I'm still laughing!) :D 

@Lisiasevery single forum member is helpful and kind. This so-called, planned dislike button is not even required. It is really a bad idea. As the rest were saying it will really disappoint the person who gets the dislike.

44 minutes ago, Nigel Cardozo said:

This so-called, planned dislike button is not even required

There are no plans for a dislike button.  Aside from the April Fool's joke, there never have been, and never will be.   

3 hours ago, Nigel Cardozo said:

@Lisiasevery single forum member is helpful and kind. 

Sorry, you are wrong. There's at least one member on this forum that is not helpful and kind. Me.

I'm just helpful. :D 

Edited by Lisias
oh, forget it. =P

• 3 years later...
On 1/7/2019 at 6:16 PM, Snark said:

Debating opposing points of view is useful and constructive.  It's an important part of how we learn.  But it only works if people do it constructively, i.e. it's not about just yelling "NO!" at anything we don't like, but rather, to explain why we believe what we believe.  If you disagree with someone, actually disagree and explain.

Shouldn't we remove the like button and make people explain why we agree with something? Genuine question, genuine curiosity.

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Shouldn't we remove the like button and make people explain why we agree with something? Genuine question, genuine curiosity.

No, why? People have been using the like button for years, everyone understands it, it's popular, it can't be used to abuse and discourage, there's basically no downside. Works great and serves a useful purpose for the community.

Whereas removing it and forcing people to have to type stuff out would just create a bunch of fairly low-content posts saying things like "nice!" that would clutter the forum and get in everyone's way. Very often, there isn't a complex reason "why"; nothing wrong with simply expressing appreciation.

8 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Back in the old BBCode forums, you used to be able to add a message when you gave people reputation. It wasn't required, but it was a nice thing to do and I still remember some of them. :)

If there was a way to do that on IPS I'd advocate for it in a heartbeat, but I don't think there is.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.