Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Cabin in the Woods was a great movie... Too bad 2020 has thus far had the brilliant idea of trying to re-enact as many of it's scenarios as possible... :0.0:

So, more waiting for Chinese parts. More tracking shenanigans. One item was ordered on May 22. It arrived on May 28, a mere 6 days from China. I'm shocked... Ehh... And apparently so was tracking. It said the package had not yet even shipped out, and as such, I didn't have the button to confirm receipt of the order. Do you have any idea just how hard it is to get through tech support when a bot filters most questions out, and you're complaining about the fact that you DID receive the package, and that everything is perfectly fine and quite awesome... but you still need help...

>Here is our FAQ, if you still require assistance, please describe how I may help you.
"Yes, I need help with a problem on your website"
>Please describe the nature of the problem.
"I received a package but tracking says it never shipped, and I can't confirm receipt of the order"
>Do you wish to request a refund for a package that did not arrive?
 "No, The package arrived! I do NOT need a refund."
>If you received a damaged package, you can open a dispute "Here" to request a refund.
"No refund! I can not Confirm receipt of the order! The Confirm Order button is missing.
>If your package has arrived safely, and you are satisfied with the product, click here to see how to confirm receipt of your order.
"No! I can't confirm receipt because the button is missing. There is a tracking error."
>If you received the wrong product, you may request a refund by opening a dispute.
"Tracking says the package did not ship. This is an error. I have the package."

"Help"

>Here is our FAQ, if you still require assistance, please describe how I may help you.
"Help me..."

:confused:

This went on for a few cycles, till I found the magic combo of words to move past that stage and into an actual help ticket. It was resolved pretty quickly, fortunately.

As for the remainder of the parts, one order has garbage tracking that may not update in a timely manner (as in, it too may not update till after I receive the item.), and the other's tracking says the destination is Romania... Even though it *clearly* displays my correct address below. :huh:

The good news is I look to be on the final stretch toward finishing my custom mechanical keyboard, after literal years of it sitting, unfinished, merely because I don't know how to program the thing. Unfortunately... Well, I just told y'all 'bout the shipping oddities.

Edited by richfiles

You're a good person to trouble yourself with "confirm receipt".

On this front, I'm experiencing a weird issue with my 3D printer. A feature that should have been 2 mm in Z axis ended up being only 1 mm. X and Y are fine. Entire thing which should be 3 mm tall ended up being 2,14 mm. I know to expect about 1 mm compression in the first few layers (I still haven't figured out the reason, but I believe it's purely mechanical issue), but final layers should be spot on, so I'm a bit confused.

Little update regarding my yesterday's incident. While I did not lose any pressure during the night, the noise coming from that thing drove me mad so I finally stopped by the dealer during the mid-afternoon. It turned out all the tire's layers got perforated by...

Spoiler

4anseoC.jpg

Seriously, how on earth does it ended there?! Anyway, I kept it for my little collection of road-debris-killing-my-wallet I started three months ago.

FWw8jWm.jpg

Just wrote a physics exam. Long story short, it was a catastrophy, I got lots of things wrong even though it was about a topic I already knew a few things about before it was even addressed in class - oscillators, pendulums, interference, things like that. The exam wasn't even so difficult, I could have solved all tasks if I just had more time (which I officially should've gotten anyways to compensate for AS).

I made some really fundamental errors and while my grade might still be acceptable, perhaps 10-12 / 15, I know I could have handed in an exam that would yield a perfect grade, and it's a massive disappointment that I didn't.
I really cannot be happy with anything other than 15/15, especially in physics and even more so in the topic the exam was about. Like I said, I knew a lot about it beforehand, all lessons were really just repetitions and I didn't learn anything new. I could have and I should have done better.

Edited by Delay

1 hour ago, Delay said:

all lessons were really just repetitions and I didn't learn anything new. I could have and I should have done better.

It's something I'm pretty much concerned with since I've restarted studying. Looking for a license in aviation safety, I had to take seven classes related to aviation (duh!) for the last two years, and more are still to come. Yet, I haven't learned anything new since then, as I already owned a PPL in the past and got some hours in my log. The lack of new material means that I see no challenge there and don't review/study. I came out with scores of min. 85% to max. 95% in each class, and I know that 100% could be reachable to me, but I'm just not interested in going back to what has already been done. I consider those courses as a boring and costly form of memory refresh.

Negative things...
nEgAtIvE tHiNgS!

Take Two

I called it that they'd stick their foot in things back when they first bought KSP. Take Two is going to continue to tighten the reigns around KSP 2, and I don't like it.
That's all I have to say about that, cause anything more and it will just make me sad and angry.

Either I'm just not good at the game, or Super Mario 64 is the most difficult game in history. So many unnecessarily stupid deaths and I'm stuck everywhere not knowing what to do or where to go!

I won't look up a walkthrough, I want to play through the game myself, no matter how long that might end up taking.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Either I'm just not good at the game, or Super Mario 64 is the most difficult game in history. So many unnecessarily stupid deaths and I'm stuck everywhere not knowing what to do or where to go!

Hazy Maze Cave?

Just now, cubinator said:

Hazy Maze Cave?

Had to look that name up, I chose German at the start of the game. You don't see that stuff in modern games anymore, do you? Being able to select that language like that? Two complaints on one day, who would've thought?
Anyways, that's one of them. I'm talking about all of the first 8 worlds, except for world 5, which I can't find for whatever reason. Either that or it's the first Bowser fight.

I like how the game allows you to get the stars out of order and how it encourages exploring. Except that sometimes the hints at the start of each world are so obscure that they're barely even a hint!

Woke up with acid reflux... :o
Really regretting not taking that antacid last night... :/

And I get the compressor noise... Fine... But why the heck are the simple blower fans in an air conditioner SO LOUD!
I've heard so many fans and filters with quieter high speeds than the medium speed of every AC I've ever owned!
Is it not beyond reason to ask AC designers to consider reducing decibels a design feature? :huh:

I suppose the reason I was noticing my AC last Saturday, was because it was constantly running, and my apartment was constantly heating up. By Sunday, it was awful, and by Monday, I'd nuked my bank account and bought a new AC, as it was very clear that it was not working anymore. To be fair, I got 8 years out of it. It was just a pain to install. Also a pain... My best friend and mother both had their ACs fail them. All on the same day. Hottest this year, of course. Helped my friend install his, and my mother's is a central air unit, so someone has to come out and look at it.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:41 AM, Delay said:

all lessons were really just repetitions and I didn't learn anything new. I could have and I should have done better.

School.

I’m so glad I’ve been off since Thursday of the week 2 weeks before Memorial Day.

Got my hands on CR2025s. Now I can finally repair my GB cartridges and save, at last!
Pji1wqT.jpg

Not sure that's going to work...
Bonus complaint is that I almost destroyed my Pokemon Blue cartridge the first time I opened it because I didn't know that to open these cartridges, you first slide the top half off by about half a centimeter and then you can remove it.

Spoiler

Now, to be fair - some of my games (conspicuously only the GBC/GBA titles) do indeed use the 2025s instead of 1616s for SRAM/clocks/what-have-you, so the money isn't completely wasted.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog.

The man will be there to feed the dog.

The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment.

Warren Bennis

When I put the summer tires back on our truck a few months ago, I seem to have misplaced the key-socket-thinkamajigger for the lock lug nuts. After going through my garage and the truck yet again, I still can't find it! :mad:

Also, we recently got a vinyl tri-fold tonneau cover we ordered from Costco. It came with some bonus stuff, like cleaner and a light to stick in the bed to be able to see what's hiding in there. But the light doesn't work. Oh, the LED works, when I jumpered the battery leads straight to the LED leads. So the button or the postage-stamp-sized circuit it's attached to doesn't work. And I'd have to break or desolder some solder to get a better look at the other side of the board. Too bad, it would have been a handy little freebie, but it would be too much hassle to make it work, needing parts I don't have.

E Shifting gears to a different topic, today, a Jool-bound ship somehow missed the SOI transition. To go back and fix that negates my Eve ascent mission from Kerbin launch to Eve orbit insertion, as well as my Eeloo departure burn. Not too bad, but still. At least I have the .craft file for the Eve mission now, and I know it can reach orbit with a bit of wobbling. That Eeloo mission had also previously missed its SOI transition when it was supposed to arrive at Eeloo, but I didn't lose much other progress that time. I guess I need to babysit those SOI transitions now...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, Selective Genius said:

be sad

I don't see the problem.

You wanted to not see the sun.  You didn't see the sun.

Given how rare and amazing it is, I'm sorry you missed it.  I hope you'll get a chance again.

Apple made the official announcement... They are transitioning from Intel x64 CPUs to in house Apple manufactured ARM CPUs.

This is the end of Hackintoshes.
This is the end of any support for the last decade and a half of legacy software, including games.
Gaming on Mac is going to be an even worse situation than it already is...Porting won't just be between two x64 platforms, but now x64 vs ARM.
This is the end of Mac repairability and upgradability... I mean, this was happening already, but this just doubles down on serialized components and lockouts.
Mac OS will be incorporating more elements of iOS... Eww... :huh:

I guess I better get used to the awful trash that is Windows, or learn to Linux.