Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Due to the slowdown caused by the pandemic, we've been slow at work (I'm a machinist making parts for aerospace, infrastructure, and the DoD).  Luckily the owner of the company has been very cool about it, having half the crew work last week, and the other half the previous week.   This week we're doing half days, 6-12 and 12-6.   I come in today at 12 (doing half days is really weird, I haven't worked a shift this short in decades).  I go over to my personal toolbox, a nice shiny tower box with lots of cabinets and drawers, and find the old man who barely speaks English (This is a very ethnic shop, lots of Eastern Europeans, most of them very very cool people, this guy is.... well not one of them), has been using the top of my tool box as a cutting board for his lemons.    That's right, he's been cutting up lemons, with a not overly sharp knife, on top of my nicely painted tool box.    Without a cutting board.

The lemon juice and pulp was all over the top of the box, a lot of it had run down into the lid and top couple drawers.  Luckily, none of it got on my precision gauges (They're probably worth $2k for the gauges alone, let alone the rest of the tools I keep in there), but I still had to spend 20 minutes scrubbing the box down to get all the sticky off.    Then when it dried off, I see the knife has scratched through the paint deep enough to reach the underlying steel....... and citric acid has been sitting on the top of that for who knows how long.    Had a few choice words for him, which feigned to not understand. 

To top it off, the piano hinge that holds the lid on is captive, meaning I can't easily remove the lid to buff it down and re-paint it, I'll have to take the whole top half of the box home and tape the hell out of the thing. 

Yeah, it's a tool box, it's meant to get used and abused, but only within the normal aspects of the job.   Just a reminder kids, personal tools and boxes in a shop setting are off limits to anybody that doesn't have specific permission to use them.   Even if I'm only borrowing a pen from a coworker's box, I make sure I tell them immediately I did so, and return it promptly.    No personal tool, unless specifically said so by the owner, is ever open for general shop use.  

And you never negligently use a personal tool.  

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

And you never negligently use a personal tool.  

I was taught to always return a tool in better shape than it was in when I borrowed it. Corollary, a tool you lend someone will be returned broken, if at all.

Our company is a small one, so not many folks here, but stuff like that still happens, so, finances permitting, when I buy myself a nice new thingy that proves to be very good, I get a couple more of them to spread around. Lowers the chance of me not finding my own when I need it. Costs more, but saves a lot of aggravation in the long run. Examples: screwdriver set, exacto knives, mechanical pencils, steel rulers, magnetizer/demagnetizer, etc.

Just bought a ruler with bubble levels and a set of those stepped universal drill bits (needed to drill drainage holes in plastic).
I bought these for the sole purpose of coaxing the universe into allowing me to find the ones I already own.

I just dropped a new order for parts for my perpetually delayed DIY mechanical keyboard and my Kerbal Instrument panel. My last order appears to have never even shipped out at all. Very annoying, but given the ongoing craziness going on in the world, I can kinda understand that some places might not be able to fulfill orders. Still, it is beyond excruciating to wait for an entire month before finding out nothing's gonna show anyway, cause it never even got loaded onto the slow boat. Each failed order is another month of delay... :(

Even worse, just because I have extra free time, or the inclination or ambition to sit down and work on a project now, doesn't mean that will be true when the parts I hurriedly ordered actually arrive a month later... Or two months, as is this situation, thanks to being forced to re-order...

Edited by richfiles

So, my wife took the kids to Sportsman's Warehouse because they had sandals on sale, she wanted to see if they had any they liked. She found a pair my daughter really liked, but they didn't have her size in stock at the store, they only had it in stock online. But they had free ship-to-store, so she came home, ordered them online, and had them shipped to the store. And we waited. And waited. And waited. Today, a week after we ordered, they still hadn't shipped. We called customer service. It turns out they shipped all the ones they had in stock to the stores. So we can just go and pick a pair up at the store, right? No. It's a ship-to-store order. So we have to wait until the store put a pair of them back on the truck, ships it back to the DC, then the DC marks it as a ship-to-store order, then it gets shipped back to the store, and then we can go pick it up.

This future is stupid, I want a new one. :mad:

So I'm beginning to think that when the cat was on her adventures, the noise I was hearing on the roof—which I thought was the cat—was in fact a skunk. I think there is a good chance it is living in one of my chimneys.

My roof is very accessible, my house is actually sort of bermed into the hillside, on the uphill side of the house it's ~3 steps to the roof.

Edited by tater

I hate when people activate the "Make an Offer" button on ebay, but then are clearly not interested in ANY offers... Item for sale for $40... I see it's been listed at least twice in the past, with no bids... $40 isn't actually a bad price. Asking only $3.86 for shipping... I click the Make an offer button and offer "How about $40 flat, shipping thrown in."

Turned down in a matter of minutes. :huh:

What, did you think I was gonna offer you $60, and beg for your personal acceptance and respect? Why activate the dumb button if you're clearly not actually interested in any offers made! :mad:

Edited by richfiles
I think I understand why it didn't sell the first two times...

1 hour ago, richfiles said:

I hate when people activate the "Make an Offer" button on ebay,

I've been seeing that more and more.  Had one that countered my offer at $0.24 below what it was listed for.

At least they countered.  I hate when I send an offer that I think is reasonable (20% off or less) and they don't even counter, just flat out decline.

That button isn't free.  They paid to put it there. 

28 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

That button isn't free.  They paid to put it there. 

Paying for things you will never use and deny the function of them when they get brought up?

Sounds like several ideologies I could name, at the risk of being accosted by the mods.

Edited by Fraston

22 hours ago, tater said:

So I'm beginning to think that when the cat was on her adventures, the noise I was hearing on the roof—which I thought was the cat—was in fact a skunk. I think there is a good chance it is living in one of my chimneys.

My roof is very accessible, my house is actually sort of bermed into the hillside, on the uphill side of the house it's ~3 steps to the roof.

Sounds like a stinker of a situation 

I have to read the Medieval history of my country, among other things for certain examinations that I would appear in near future. And every chapter has the same ending:

And thus, the Invaders won again.

Cities were ransacked, your wealth stolen,

Temples were destroyed, your culture broken.

Your monasteries burned, ashes left behind,

Death in front, Buddha was the last thing on your ancestor's mind.

Your ports became rich, after every battle

Because your own people were sold like chattel !

Great dynasties were lost, their people oppressed

Most were lost to war, famines destroyed the rest.

All while your people became meatshields,

To serve the Invaders in their 'Next Great Conquest'.

Casualties were in millions, with monetary and cultural losses,

Destruction of Dharmic religions, Forced conversion of the masses.

But do not get discouraged, for it is but one page,

In the 800 years of your people's oppression. Accept this with rage!

Forgive, but do not forget. Or this will happen again,

And again, and again, and again.

And then some.

Apart from a few solitary sparks of joy, there's not a single ray of hope in 800 years of my country's history. 20-25 generations of my people knew nothing but death and destruction. I had no idea we were damaged in such a manner.

My text books called these invaders 'Unifiers' of our country... But does painting a new map of a country with the blood and tears of those countrymen, is it really worth it? Do borders have more significance than the Rights of Man? Had humanity sunk so low, that it found nothing wrong in the atrocities committed? And if such atrocities were part of the 'culture' and 'normal behavior' of Mongols and other invading forces, then how, just how did anything and everything that is Holy tolerate such monstrosities? 

Why did You forsake your people, when they never doubted Your Divinity? Just why??????

I need to take a nap, I don't think I can continue studying history for any longer. I would rather focus on Geography and Political science instead... 

It was a correct day, generally talking. While being on my way back home, I enjoyed a bit of time with my car and decided to take one of the bridges linking the peninsula to the mainland. I was just ten minutes away from my place when I heard some kind of "tac-tac-tac-tac-tac-tac..." from the rear right. I thought I must have lost a part at first, so I stopped as soon as possible.

Here is where the noise was coming from:

Spoiler

lF761sT.jpg

9hPkH7w.jpg

I changed all tires less than a week ago.

KZ9A4SL.jpg

@XB-70A No idea what that is, that being said I don't even have a driver's license (yet).

Here, have that as my complaint of the day: I could've gotten my license in May already, but COVID-19 messed with everything and now I'm months behind.

5 minutes ago, Delay said:

No idea what that is, that being said I don't even have a driver's license (yet).

Looks like a dental implant has fallen from a dentist's car. Seriously though, I have no idea neither. Could be one of those large hard plastic screw. Anyway, they are covered for the first two years, so I'm good to pass by a store in the next days. It's just so annoying as they are brand new.

11 minutes ago, Delay said:

Here, have that as my complaint of the day: I could've gotten my license in May already, but COVID-19 messed with everything and now I'm months behind.

Germany, if I'm remembering well?

39 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, that tire will have some good bite now...

Okay, yesterday I found your pun pretty good, but that one is just... better :lol:

Thanks, it gave me a smile.