k00b

speedboats, black holes, STOCK helicopters, clouds and etc.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

my christmas list currently (subject to change) is as follows:

black holes randomly generated in outerspace to be probed and offset orbital trajectory and engage peoples brains (for fun obviously...)

speedboats / water based launch site (for more fun) - leading to amphibious flying craft (for EVEN more fun)

STOCK helicopters  (wasd /ijkl - thrust shift ctrl (as in "gamepad / joystick"...) OR just animated rotor cabin with vertical thrust, other pieces, AS THIS HAS NOT BEEN ADRESSED VIA BREAKING GROUND (i appreciate it would be difficult to program a "two dimensional command pod specifically" for this purpose) (for more fun)

clouds self explanatory (lighting is conductive to metal) (for more "drama")

oh and also aliens from space to make the game more realistic.... being extraterrestrial animations to make outer space more engaging - like space worms popping up out of the ground to observe what you are doing... ("building bases on my home are you ???")

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

it would be nice to have a viable helocopter with klaw underneith to transport cargo from one place to the other as part of the missions "transport to island airbase" etc: which would be exponentially more fun then parking two vessels next to each other on kerbin etc in my own humble opinion.

Edited by k00b
because people who don't have ideas for their own, don't like people who do have ideas; because it makes them feel insecure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 and 2 are coming in the DLC that will be out on the 30th.

3 has been discussed forever on these forums. I'm down with them but hope Squad would find an implementation that didn't tank my machine.

4...

1 hour ago, k00b said:

aliens from space to make the game more realistic

wat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

wat?

I don't know why you're confused.  I completely agree.  The game needs little green men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I don't know why you're confused.  I completely agree.  The game needs little green men.

i always imagined them as blue or purple; but then we haven't met yet...

20 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

1 and 2 are coming in the DLC that will be out on the 30th.

they really are adding helicopters or are you just playing with my emotions ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, k00b said:

they really are adding helicopters or are you just playing with my emotions ?

They're adding rotors and with them you can make your own helicopters. I'm basing this off a picture they showed that looked like a drone quadcopter.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, 5thHorseman said:

They're adding rotors and with them you can make your own helicopters. I'm basing this off a picture they showed that looked like a drone quadcopter.

you better not mean this (because that is definately NOT a helicopter);

S875JDY.png

?

that's going to really be fun going *0.5mph in any direction other then upwards... not being of any point in career mode etc etc.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

(if folding wings aren't included then [snip])

*and don't say "oh nooo you can put a jet engine on it" (because that would be pointless).

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2019 at 4:39 PM, k00b said:

you better not mean this (because that is definately NOT a helicopter);

S875JDY.png

?

that's going to really be fun going *0.5mph in any direction other then upwards... not being of any point in career mode etc etc.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

(if folding wings aren't included then [snip])

*and don't say "oh nooo you can put a jet engine on it" (because that would be pointless).

Yes, that's what I mean. Rotors with wings and an infinite number of ways to put them together.

Maybe you need to more clearly define what you want.

Edited by Gargamel
Portions of Quote Redacted by Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yes, that's what I mean. Rotors with wings and an infinite number of ways to put them together.

Maybe you need to more clearly define what you want.

 

On 5/21/2019 at 11:41 AM, k00b said:

OR just animated rotor cabin with vertical thrust [if not helicopter]

already did see post #1 - ([snip] apparently you think 16x elevons is a "helicopter" ??? seriously ????)

...now show me collapsible vertical wings please because you clearly stated:

On 5/21/2019 at 1:37 PM, 5thHorseman said:

1 and 2 are coming in the DLC that will be out on the 30th.

(if there are no foldable wings then that means you are 100% full of it (...as opposed to 50%)

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, k00b said:

 

already did see post #1 - ([snip] / apparently you think 16x elevons is a "helicopter" ??? seriously ????)

...now show me collapsible vertical wings please because you clearly stated:

(if there are no foldable wings then that means you are 100% full of it (...as opposed to 50%)

Okay. You got me. There won't be a "helicopter part" that makes your craft a helicopter.

There also will not be a "collapsible wing part" that you can put on an "airplane part" to make a collapsible wing airplane.

But while you're lamenting these things not being in the game, plenty of others will be making helicopters and collapsible wing airplanes with the parts that ARE in the game.

Edited by Gargamel
Portions of Quote Redacted by Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some posts have been removed or edited.

This is a suggestions thread.  It is fully acceptable to have others debate your ideas, that's the point of this forum: open, intelligent debate and idea building.  But you must also respect other's opinions, and not take their comments to the level of personal attacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 8:41 AM, k00b said:

black holes randomly generated in outerspace to offset orbital trajectory.

Terrible, terrible idea.

Quote

folding wings for spaceplanes from vertical position thus can be deployed from top stages / being shrouded (fine for them to stick out non effective of aerodynamics).

helicopters via concept thievery from battlefield series of games, but simplified (wasd /ijkl - thrust shift ctrl (as in "gamepad / joystick"...) OR just animated rotor cabin with vertical thrust, other pieces, maffematics etc...

They are adding moveable (motorized, or freely moving, your choice) joints +hinges+ servos+rotors in the next DLC. With those you can take small wing sections and put hinges on them, and make your own foldable wings.

With the rotors, you can build your own helicopter.

On 5/22/2019 at 1:39 PM, k00b said:

you better not mean this (because that is definately NOT a helicopter);

S875JDY.png

?

that's going to really be fun going *0.5mph in any direction other then upwards... not being of any point in career mode etc etc.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

(if folding wings aren't included then [snip])

*and don't say "oh nooo you can put a jet engine on it" (because that would be pointless).

[snip]

That *IS* a helicopter.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/helicopter

"helicopter, noun, he·li·cop·ter | \ ˈhe-lə-ˌkäp-tər , ˈhē-\

Definition of helicopter: an aircraft whose lift is derived from the aerodynamic forces acting on one or more powered rotors turning about substantially vertical axes"

Its a quad copter, but still a helicopter. Its not like a chinnok isn't a helicopter because it has 2 main rotors and no tail rotor (where a tailrotor is a rotor which provides thrust in a substantially horizontal access to counteract main rotor torque).

Quad-copters are helicopters.

Also, it doesn't take much imagination at all to look at that picture, and imagine 1 rotor with much larger blades, and a smaller tail rotor.

And putting a jet engine on a helicopter is pointless? I guess many many pointless helicopters have been made then:

Sikorsky_X-wing_diagonal_view.jpg

XH-51A-1.jpg

XH-59_U.S._Army_demonstrator.jpg

XH-59A_helicopter_in_1981_(3).JPEG

Eurocopter_X3.jpg

^Those are turboprops, which are technically a class of jet engine, similar to turbofans, just with fewer, bigger blades and no shroud^

Bell_533_engines_wings.png

Bell_533a.jpg

 

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 1:07 AM, k00b said:

already did see post #1 - ([snip] apparently you think 16x elevons is a "helicopter" ??? seriously ????)

 ...now show me collapsible vertical wings please because you clearly stated:

There are going to be pistons, hinges, rotors, and actuators. If you can't build collapsible vertical wings with those, that's your problem. You can most certainly build a helicopter with them. A conventional layout with a single main rotor and a tail rotor to counter torque might be tricky to control since you only have one throttle setting so presumably you'd have to adjust the tail rotor power through its own control but then real all-manual helicopters are a bit of a handful too. However you could always make it a twin-rotor with contra-rotating rotors. I look forward to seeing if rotors are stackable, which would allow a layout like on the Kamov Ka-50. That would be cool. (And yes quadcopters are most certainly helicopters.)

If you want a ready-made helicopter, you will be able to download them from KerbalX or Steam Workshop once people have made them. Or you could always go play something else, there are plenty of games with them in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I look forward to seeing if rotors are stackable, which would allow a layout like on the Kamov Ka-50.

From what I've seen, it seems they will be stackable...  at least they look like they are designed to be able to be placed inline inside of stacks.

But I think you'll need to use 3 rotors. 1 for clockwise spin, 1 after that to cancel out the spin, and then a 3rd for counterclockwise spin.

I was hoping that they'd have a rotor where the ends don't rotate, only the center, but from KSP Loading's "under the spotlight", where they showed many of the new parts, such a part wasn't too be found.

Although, maybe the torque doesn't depend on speed, and 2 rotors can accomplish it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

There are going to be pistons, hinges, rotors, and actuators. If you can't build collapsible vertical wings with those, that's your problem. You can most certainly build a helicopter with them. A conventional layout with a single main rotor and a tail rotor to counter torque might be tricky to control since you only have one throttle setting so presumably you'd have to adjust the tail rotor power through its own control but then real all-manual helicopters are a bit of a handful too. However you could always make it a twin-rotor with contra-rotating rotors. I look forward to seeing if rotors are stackable, which would allow a layout like on the Kamov Ka-50. That would be cool. (And yes quadcopters are most certainly helicopters.)

If you want a ready-made helicopter, you will be able to download them from KerbalX or Steam Workshop once people have made them. Or you could always go play something else, there are plenty of games with them in them.

a quadcoptor is a "rotary winged aircraft" or else it would be called a "helicopter"... (serves them right for making up names) "octabladed hexacopter"...; as a spade is a spade; a helicopter is a helicopter.

thankyou for the reply though; you sell the dlc quite well although as above i maintain it is pointless going 0.5mph on kerbin with a mass of parts (as opposed to a "helicopter")... (although i like playing career mode)

now there is just the aliens, clouds and black holes to make in that case... (people are seemingly forgetting the helicopters are a minor part of the post...)

Edited by k00b
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Terrible, terrible idea.

 

you don't like any spontaniety in your computer games ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 11:41 AM, k00b said:

black holes randomly generated in outerspace to offset orbital trajectory.

 

Ah, yes, because I love to redesign my pre existing rockets and have to launch all new probes/orbiters/stations because the newly added black hole screws with my orbits in my save so that they deorbit or get pulled into the black hole. 

Honestly, what purpose would they serve in the current system? Even with OPM thrown in it's still way too small. I understand you could use black holes for science, but even then, you're going to have to GREATLY expand the stock system to make these interesting and bearable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, k00b said:

i maintain it is pointless going 0.5mph on kerbin with a mass of parts

How did you get an early release of the DLC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

But I think you'll need to use 3 rotors. 1 for clockwise spin, 1 after that to cancel out the spin, and then a 3rd for counterclockwise spin.

I'm planning on surface-attaching a cylindrical piece, putting a rotor on each end, and then offsetting and flipping the bottom one to the top.

Beyond that, I need to write some KRPC scripts to add and subtract to blade pitch via action groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, k00b said:

a quadcoptor is a "rotary winged aircraft" or else it would be called a "helicopter"... (serves them right for making up names) "octabladed hexacopter"...; as a spade is a spade; a helicopter is a helicopter.

A quadcopter is a type of helicopter, like a biplane is a type of airplane.

As to airspeed, I have no doubt people will make various types of helicopters with all kinds of performance characteristics. Personally I’m hoping it’ll be possible to make an autogyro. Which isn’t a helicopter but is very cool.

(Also I vote no on the aliens and especially black holes although clouds would be nice.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, k00b said:

you don't like any spontaniety in your computer games ?

There's plenty of room for spontaneity without randomness... particularly extremely unrealistic randomness.

The only thing this would do is cause random mission failure, or make everyone overbuild by massive amounts because of the excess dV they need.

If you just want to be forced to have larger dV budgets, then play a scaled up system like I do.

The suggestions for random part failure are better than this, because 1) its more realistic, and 2) you can build redundancy into designs 3) it may be fixable with a properly trained engineer (in some suggestions)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

The suggestions for random part failure are better than this, because 1) its more realistic, and 2) you can build redundancy into designs 3) it may be fixable with a properly trained engineer (in some suggestions)

Random part failure would be interesting but IMO that's something that's best left to mods. KSP is inherently wacky and playful. Part failure is hardcore. A genuinely hardcore space sim that strives for realism is a different beast altogether, and we already have that with Realism Overhaul. There are mods I would like to see brought into stock -- KIS/KAS for one -- but I think it's really important to retain the touch of whimsy that makes KSP so charming.

In fact in my view some of the parts introduced in Making History went too far: the command modules that incorporate decouplers or RCS jets for example aren't really parts anymore in the sense that they ought to be. A part ought to serve a single function; combining several functions into one makes it a subassembly, not a part. 

So yes to stock KIS/KAS, yes to more realistic aerodynamics, yes to Lagrange points, yes to ground effect, yes to nuclear reactors, yes to clouds and various other visual upgrades, but nay to militarisation, random black holes, part failures, aliens, warp drives, or complex subassemblies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

I'm planning on surface-attaching a cylindrical piece, putting a rotor on each end, and then offsetting and flipping the bottom one to the top.

Beyond that, I need to write some KRPC scripts to add and subtract to blade pitch via action groups.

Well, I was thinking of something with an fairing... Since you can enable the truss structure. The way you propose probably looks nice, but it will have drag penalties. In all cases, you are looking at 3 parts for 2 rotating sections.

I think the new axis groups will let you simultaneously and incrementally change the blade pitch... I *think*.

 

16 hours ago, k00b said:

with a mass of parts (as opposed to a "helicopter")

I know things that can keep part count down ate good for performance... But still, everything in ksp except the kerbals themselves is either a mass of parts, or non-functional.

How boring would this game be if you had 1 part rockets, and 1 part helicopters....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Well, I was thinking of something with an fairing... Since you can enable the truss structure.

Ooh brilliant, that should certainly permit Ka-50 style contra-rotating rotors. So going to steal that idea!

Edit: hmm... if these work like I think they work, wouldn't it be possible just to anchor an I-beam on the fuselage and then anchor two rotors to the I-beam, instead of stacking them on each other? That should allow contra-rotation also...

Edited by Brikoleur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

an i-beam, or as @FleshJeb suggested "surface-attaching a cylindrical piece, putting a rotor on each end, and then offsetting and flipping the bottom one to the top"... structural fuselage (that's the cylindrical piece he's got in mind?), I-beam, whatever...

I was also thinking: if you can attach parts to the top and bottom of the rotor (the part that is fixed to the part it is attached to, and the part that spins relative to what it attached to). Then I can attach one set of blades to the bottom of the rotor, and 1 set of blades to the top, then I put that on top of an unpowered/free spinning rotor.

If so, the torque from the top rotor should cause the base (with its attached blades) to spin the opposite direction, thus two sets of rotor blades should spin opposite directions, and the lower rotor (rotating freely) should prevent torque from going to the main craft. 2 Rotor parts, 2 sets of blades (but only 1 rotor motor's worth of power, so the 2nd free spinning rotor I'd make the smallest, lightest option).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can the docking ports be attached to the moving parts?
To make a foldable docking arm or so.

Say, to park a pressurized rover (with a passive node in the side wall) near a land base, then expand a wide arm (with the pressurized passway and an active node at the end) from the base module, bend it under arbitrary angle(s), and attach it to the rover, letting the crew pass.

Edited by kerbiloid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.