KSP2 Hype Train Thread

47 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

And then what, interstellar update, one of the most anticipated thing since the announcement, comes with one (1) engine, maybe in few sizes? Only because everything else doesn't fit with "interstellar" theme and thus should be available on first release? I said it before, Orion fits with way too useful part of the engine chart. Nertea didn't even mention it in his diary.

I mean, definitely not everything on the first release. It'd be interesting to spread it out: add more capable nuclear and/or electric drives along with the science update, early fusion drives with colonies, and once interstellar comes out we get larger scale fusion drives along with, say, more efficient Orion drives (thermonuclear perhaps?), torchship-style interplanetary fusion engines with higher thrust but less efficiency than their interstellar counterparts, etc.

Edited by obney kerman

8 hours ago, GoldForest said:

So, what do ya'll think we're going to get tomorrow or Monday in the form of a sneak peak? That's assuming they follow the pattern I've noticed of posting something every 2 to 3 days. 

Airplane flying around KSC - 1/20

Duna Transport - 1/23

Rocket on launchpad - 1/25

Reusable Rocket - 1/27

??? - 1/29 or 1/30

I  want to see some floaty things at this point, there's a dock in some of the videos we've seen of the KSC. It would be great to have boat parts confirmed.

6 minutes ago, Nirgal said:

I  want to see some floaty things at this point, there's a dock in some of the videos we've seen of the KSC. It would be great to have boat parts confirmed.

Nate has mentioned aquatic features of planets a lot. There's a slight possibility of boat parts being in game. 

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Idk why they're waiting until interstellar to give us Orion Drives. 

Orion Drives are only good for interplanetary trajectories, not interstellar, from what I understand at least. 

Well, most Orion drives. The Orion Battleship might be suitable for interstellar travel due to it being literally the size of a small state, but they aren't showing the Orion Battleship. They're showing on of the smaller Orion Drives. 

It would make more sense to give us Orion drives at launch of EA or at least with Colonies with orbital construction. 

Orion battleship was an 20 meter diameter, around 3000 ton model (Note: 3000 ton is an destroyer, battleships is +30K ton). 20 meter was also the outer planet design for going to say Saturn in a couple of years. 
10 meter was the light version, it could be put in an suborbital trajectory by an Saturn 5 and go to mars or asteroids. 
It was some calculation of an multi kilometer diameter ship, using gigaton pulses. This was calculated to be interstellar capable. No detailed design ulike the 10 and 20 meter ones. 

Over to KSP 2, I Agree Orion pulse nuclear would be needed for colonization.
You will likely need to transport thousands of ton to other planets, note that resource mining is still not planned in the game until after interstellar. 
It would be nice to get from EA but most for fun and getting used to them. 

14 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Orion battleship was an 20 meter diameter, around 3000 ton model (Note: 3000 ton is an destroyer, battleships is +30K ton). 20 meter was also the outer planet design for going to say Saturn in a couple of years. 
10 meter was the light version, it could be put in an suborbital trajectory by an Saturn 5 and go to mars or asteroids. 
It was some calculation of an multi kilometer diameter ship, using gigaton pulses. This was calculated to be interstellar capable. No detailed design ulike the 10 and 20 meter ones. 

Over to KSP 2, I Agree Orion pulse nuclear would be needed for colonization.
You will likely need to transport thousands of ton to other planets, note that resource mining is still not planned in the game until after interstellar. 
It would be nice to get from EA but most for fun and getting used to them. 

https://nextbigfuture.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2018/09/orions2.jpg

I was talking about this big boy. Around 55m. 

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

ISRU will come with the resources update. 

I know, but even a very basic mining and fuel converting part would greatly augment the range of our crafts.

But even if there is no basic mining in the first stages of EA, we can still send fuel depots like pre 1.0 KSP.

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

ISRU will come with the resources update. 

I don't think we should have to wait for Resources update.  KSP had basic ISRU - all Resources is going to do is work with the Colonies mini-game so that you can build stations and automate processes (likely like a Satisfactory-lite).  Certainly it is going to be a more complex roll-out. 

But I can see basic mining parts coming with the Science update so that they can test systems before the roll out of the more complex ideas they have for the full fledged ISRU and resource-gathering-and-shipping plans for later updates. 

one thing i really hope, and i do mean really hope is during the "Colonies" stage that things like kerbin citys will exist, the land is baren for the amount of kerbals we send out without snacks

it would fit somewhat them using the colony parts due to a sifi type living thing, but it will be a living nightmare to produce tons of citys just on kerbin

(i already see me doing this if there isn't a limitation)

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

https://nextbigfuture.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2018/09/orions2.jpg

I was talking about this big boy. Around 55m. 

Link does not work 
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns2.php#orionbattleship
Diameter was 26 meter and weight 3600 metric ton so a bit larger than I remember.  Site is bad at sectioning content, some of above and below anchor, still 30 meter is the largest for the detailed plans I can see. 
And you would obviously build an 10 meter first, perhaps an even smaller prototype, then that work you work of an larger designs. 
The purpose of the large ideas is to show that this path is not an dead end but rather that ISP increase with size. 

Just now, magnemoe said:

Link does not work 
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns2.php#orionbattleship
Diameter was 26 meter and weight 3600 metric ton so a bit larger than I remember.  Site is bad at sectioning content, some of above and below anchor, still 30 meter is the largest for the detailed plans I can see. 
And you would obviously build an 10 meter first, perhaps an even smaller prototype, then that work you work of an larger designs. 
The purpose of the large ideas is to show that this path is not an dead end but rather that ISP increase with size. 

you had me at a auto 5inch gun

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Hm... I am probably not atomic bomb engineer, but I think that nukes pulse units are not scalabe smaller that for 10m orion.  The smaller the nuke pulse unit the smaller fission element. The smaller fission elemet the more complicated fission system needed.  

3 hours ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

The edge of the roadmap seems to be some sort of moon, with the dark spots being craters. Also it’s very pixelated compared to the other pictures.

(I don’t have a picture, but if you look at the last square you will see what i mean)

According to the steam page there will be “More star systems and hidden anomalies” in addition to what is already listed in the roadmap. My guess is these will be at least part of the unknown roadmap. Very excited for what possibilities will be delivered as part of the “hidden anomalies” ….. rogue planet, worm hole, the occasional interstellar whale ….. opps, pretty sure that is spelled with a k, khale. 

2 hours ago, Grandhobbit said:

According to the steam page there will be “More star systems and hidden anomalies” in addition to what is already listed in the roadmap. My guess is these will be at least part of the unknown roadmap. Very excited for what possibilities will be delivered as part of the “hidden anomalies” ….. rogue planet, worm hole, the occasional interstellar whale ….. opps, pretty sure that is spelled with a k, khale. 

No worm holes.  Intercept Games explicitly said, no worm holes. 

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

It could be, but Intercept said "No theoretical stuff that might or might not exist." 

But thankfully, we have 

void-warranty-logo-with-watermarks.png

No  stuff that might not be possible.. except kerbals being able to walk with those heads :P

On 1/28/2023 at 9:32 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I don't think we should have to wait for Resources update.  KSP had basic ISRU - all Resources is going to do is work with the Colonies mini-game so that you can build stations and automate processes (likely like a Satisfactory-lite).  Certainly it is going to be a more complex roll-out. 

But I can see basic mining parts coming with the Science update so that they can test systems before the roll out of the more complex ideas they have for the full fledged ISRU and resource-gathering-and-shipping plans for later updates. 

I'd like to get IRSU too, but not the dumbed-down version of KSP1.

Even if they plan to replace it later down the line, same for science and everything else. I want them to take their time to properly design and implement every system and avoid place-holders as much as possible. There's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

My hype had give down drastically because of the lack of interesting reveals and creative marketing. Everything in KSP2 except how the parts look (amazing) just feels like it's a compromise. I'm just tired of players finding excuses for underwhelming visuals and lack of info about the new features. Guess I'll just see what the early access release has to offer and get hyped for KSP1 mods.

Edited by Vl3d

13 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

My hype had give down drastically because of the lack of interesting reveals and creative marketing. Everything in KSP2 except how the parts look (amazing) just feels like it's a compromise. I'm just tired of players finding excuses for underwhelming visuals and lack of info about the new features. Guess I'll just see what the early access release has to offer and get hyped for KSP1 mods.

I don't care for the marketing, but a few daily screenshots per weekday would have been a nice boon.