Jump to content

Kerbal Space Program ESA 1.10 update #SharedHorizons


Recommended Posts

Very cool!  Continually amazed at the life that gets injected into this game.

I had the pleasure of making a Rosetta recreation back in the day when it happened. 

I also saw a press conference with the Rosetta team where a reporter asked the inevitable KSP question and one of the scientists said she liked the game.  I pinched my nose and reluctantly made a twitter, and tweeted my screenshot of Rosetta telling her how proud I was of them and that I was following along at home with my dumb KSP version.  She actually replied and liked or whatever you do to posts and I got a warm fuzzy inside.  It was a charming little connection with a real scientist doing real science stuff half a wold away.  Thanks KSP!

Some of my old Rosetta & Phillae shots from back in 2014:

 

8nFyknD.jpg

 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=342297979

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=342296252

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=342296611

 

Edited by klesh
made links into links. wysiwyg editor strikes again!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its pretty obvious, now, that the collaboration was started when the Mainsail got redone to look like a Vulcain motor but it still doesn't answer why SQUAD chose to make it the Mainsail rather than the Skipper. If you end up making a 2.5m diameter Ariane 5 replica with 2 Pollux SRBs and a Mainsail core the thing is going to jump off the pad and hit Mach 1 before you even know whats happening. With a 2.5m version you're looking at 1500m/s left when in orbit with a payload of 10 tons but you get a TWR off the pad of 2... which quickly ramps to 3 after a few seconds. Which is WAY too much.
 
I guess it depends on scale. The Mainsail is 2.5m but, really, if you're doing an Ariane 5 build it would be more accurate to use a diameter of 3.75m... which means the launch TWR with a Mainsail and 2 of the biggest Clydesdale SRBs is actually not bad (around 1.3), however, this is with around 30 tons of payload and gets you into LEO with around 2500m/s of dV left when in orbit. The Ariane 5 in reality can only get around 10 tons to GTO.

So scale is the problem. But its always been the problem.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Poodmund said:

Its pretty obvious, now, that the collaboration was started when the Mainsail got redone to look like a Vulcain motor but it still doesn't answer why SQUAD chose to make it the Mainsail rather than the Skipper. If you end up making a 2.5m diameter Ariane 5 replica with 2 Pollux SRBs and a Mainsail core the thing is going to jump off the pad and hit Mach 1 before you even know whats happening. With a 2.5m version you're looking at 1500m/s left when in orbit with a payload of 10 tons but you get a TWR off the pad of 2... which quickly ramps to 3 after a few seconds. Which is WAY too much.
 
I guess it depends on scale. The Mainsail is 2.5m but, really, if you're doing an Ariane 5 build it would be more accurate to use a diameter of 3.75m... which means the launch TWR with a Mainsail and 2 of the biggest Clydesdale SRBs is actually not bad (around 1.3), however, this is with around 30 tons of payload and gets you into LEO with around 2500m/s of dV left when in orbit. The Ariane 5 in reality can only get around 10 tons to GTO.

So scale is the problem. But its always been the problem.
 

Good point

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AHHans said:

Any guesses if we get any new parts for this update? I mean we already have the Vulcain 1 (aka Mainsail) and SRBs. And the Terrier (or if you want it bigger the Wolfhound) would make a decent Aestus look-alike

They don't really care about duplicates though. Now we have both Skiff and Rhino for J-2; and Twin-Boar and Mammoth for F1

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

I'm willing to hazard a guess that there will be some kind of Columbus analogue added,

Me too, but I think they only do what they mentioned: Ariane 5, Rosetta and Bepicolombo

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Forgotten said:

Does this mean Console users are also getting the SRB update?

yes, which means that this is an even bigger hype for us! :D

Edited by Dirkidirk
Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, I wonder what engine enhancements and new parts we'll see to enable this?

i.e. ability to orbit asteroids, tiny surface harpoons (Philae mini-claw?), potential new science instruments (Alice/OSIRIS/VIRTIS/MIRO/CONSERT/RSI/ROSINA/MIDAS/COSIMA/GIADA/RPC & APXS/CIVA/CONSERT/COSAC/MUPUS/Ptolemy/ROLIS/ROMAP/SD2/SESAME)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

they are adding comets maybe they will be an actual celestial body(Required for rosetta to work)

no?????????? Lol?????????? Probably just special asteroids????????????? If you want a celestial body learn Kopernicus smh. Ur a cute lil kspnerd.

anyway, after reading, these will clearly be new scenarios. HIP TRIAN!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEET MYSELF INTO the SUN YEAAAH

9 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

yes, which means that this is an even bigger hype for us! :D

aight! I don’t play console but ur my friend so good for you!! (Personal opinion the Shrimp is the best thing to be added to KSP ever)

Edited by HansonKerman
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great news! I've been dying to see more updates to 1.10 since the orange jool post (which despite being an april fools joke, the planet still looks amazing redone) and I've been hoping to see some more pictures of potentially redesigned planets. And I'm always a sucker for new parts as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Yellowburn10 said:

This is great news! I've been dying to see more updates to 1.10 since the orange jool post (which despite being an april fools joke, the planet still looks amazing redone) and I've been hoping to see some more pictures of potentially redesigned planets. And I'm always a sucker for new parts as well.

I agree with you.Orange Jool looks lovely!:D(New DLC: Orange  Jool    $9.99;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 11:28 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

You just wait- Kopernicus will update to 1.9.1 on the 30th of June :rolleyes:

I might try adding the new parts from 1.9.1 to a 1.8.1 game and if that works (and there are no massive game engine changes) then I’ll do the same with the new 1.10 stuff when that gets released.

 

Unrelated- what is Wehrner doing in space? Or does Jeb/Bill/Bob wear glasses now due to too many unplanned disassemblies/flight reverts/staring at the sun for too long?

Can't be Wehrner - no pencil thin mustache!

I guess he could have shaved, but who would ever shave a mustache like that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Personally I'm inclined to think it's Kadbury!

I cannot let this question be undecided. So I started a poll in a thread dedicated to this very issue. Follow the link below and help us decide this all important question once and for all!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In case there is any uncertainty, Milka≠Milka, and Cadbury≠Cadbury, but Milka=Cadbury.
Both were bought by Kraft Foods and now are just shadows of their former selves, or so I'm told...

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is extremely cool! New parts are nice (a Soyuz-style capsule visually compatible with the spherical pods would be cool and Ariane parts are always welcome), but I'm most looking forward to the comets and, I hope, a fully visually refreshed Kerbolar system... and perhaps a few remaining irritating bugs squashed, like the one with mirror symmetry and collapsing light landing legs?

Thanks SQUAD for keeping the flame burning. I'm much more hyped for this than I am for KSP2 at this point!

Link to post
Share on other sites

+2 :rep:

Good to know release date for 1.10 - very helpful for those who mod.

Looking forward to more teasers!

On 5/18/2020 at 4:53 PM, Angel-125 said:

Please say it is so! A proper comet (or comets plural) in game that we could explore and that didn't look like an asteroid would be truly awesome!

this.

On 5/18/2020 at 5:10 PM, EchoLima said:

Squad also said on Twitter that comets will be added.

+1 :rep:

On 5/18/2020 at 5:51 PM, Kergarin said:

Does rosetta mean we will get harpoons??

if not - gives @IgorZ impious to update KIS/KAS to include harpoons again!

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...