Dres is probably the most ignored planet in KSP and for good reasons, it costs more dV than Bob or Pol (mainly Tylo's fault) and gives less science (I think) than the mentioned moons.  And overall does not offer anyting that the Jool system can't (in terms of science and funds.) The solution, give Dres moons. To justify the cost of getting to Dres, these Moons should be small and easy. The innermost moon Lun should be a radius of 85 km  (just under half of the mun) and be a cratered grey rock. The second moon out named In should be a little smaller than Minmus at 50 km and be grayish blue. The dresteriod region should have a ring system (Haumea likes this) with 1 Gilly sized moon. The outer region could have up to 5 Gilly to Bop sized moons, some with inclined or retrograde orbits. These changes could make the Dres system a good alternative to Jool or act as a stepping stone for less experienced players to help them unlock more techs before going to Jool. Dres has so much potential! Please give Dres some love devs. 

Edit: In this scenario Dres would have it's radius increased from ~ 130 km to ~ 185 km (mass would be adjusted too)

Edited by catloaf
Learned how small Dres is, turns out Lun would be only slightly smaller than Dres! (Lun and Dres radius tweaked)

I'm all in for this! But it might be to best wishes to leave the Kerbol system untouched especially since now there will be two games with Dres and it will quickly get confusing why one Dres has moons and one doesn't. My suggestion would be to make a ring system where all the Drestroids are and have maybe two Shepard moons but nothing out of the blue...

...That will get Dres noticed again

6 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I'm all in for this! But it might be to best wishes to leave the Kerbol system untouched especially since now there will be two games with Dres and it will quickly get confusing why one Dres has moons and one doesn't. My suggestion would be to make a ring system where all the Drestroids are and have maybe two Shepard ?moons but nothing out of the blue...

...That will get Dres noticed again

I think the Kerbol system was never complete. There were were lots of good ideas that were never implemented. However, an "extended solar system" dlc could be a good idea for ksp2. It could contain this as well as gp2 and another planet. I think that Eve {Gilly has reported this post,} Eeloo and Moho also deserve new moons. The dlc could also include discoverable moons too. Squad could reimplement the feature, or they could be released simultaneously. Maybe purchasing the ksp2 dlc would give you a code to unlock it in ksp1. It could also be an official Kopernicus planet pack.

Edited by catloaf
I think they should make all the planet's have a reason to exist before adding new ones.

There are a few mods that give Dres some company- one adds a little moon called Spud, another makes Dres itself a moon of a larger planet- as well as the slightly older XPC that adds moons to several stock planets (2 for Eve, a Trojan behind Ike for Duna and a couple for Eeloo as well). You could also take a planet pack (for example, Minor Planets or Dwarf Planets) and bodge some configs to put some moons around Dres yourself, although this might take a bit more work and require more changes than just the orbits.

On 6/25/2020 at 6:50 PM, catloaf said:

However, an "extended solar system" dlc could be a good idea for ksp2.

With a good selection of parts (as seen in Making History or Breaking Ground) I wouldn't be against an extended solar system for KSP 1.

If KSP 2 does not have at least a couple completed solar systems or plans for a couple solar systems for free, I will have to consider not purchasing the game.

One of the things they have advertised with KSP 2 is interstellar travel. I understand if the dev's of KSP 2 do not "complete" Kerbin's solar system if KSP 1 does not. With interstellar travel being a selling point of the game, I do expect other solar systems to visit and from everything I have seen it's clear that is the route the devs are taking, 

• 1 month later...

Ok, how many moons do you want, I will not do too many though, max of 3, but moons will orbit dres(so it has a purpose, the largest will be the size of minmus, the smallest will be similar to pol in size and mass, the moons need to be small so dres could have them in orbit.

may also give moho 1 moon and eeloo 2 this way these planets are more worth visiting.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2020 at 7:54 AM, kspnerd122 said:

Ok, how many moons do you want, I will not do too many though, max of 3, but moons will orbit dres(so it has a purpose, the largest will be the size of minmus, the smallest will be similar to pol in size and mass, the moons need to be small so dres could have them in orbit.

may also give moho 1 moon and eeloo 2 this way these planets are more worth visiting.

Perhaps a moon a little smaller than Minmus named Lun, textured like a greyish blue Dres, orbiting in between the surface and the Dresteriod ring, and a Gilly sized moon in the Dresteriod belt. Maybe when 1.10 kopernicus gets more mature, comets could be placed around dres to represent minor moons.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, kerbiloid said:

Dres is just the most realistic celestial body in KSP.

A boring piece of stone, nothing to look at, like most of them irl.

Yes, It looks exactly like a moon from JNSQ.

4 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Perhaps we give Dres several smol moons that could make going to each of them a mini jool-5?

Why not spice that up? I remember once seeing a mod where Gilly (or some other body, I don't remember) not only replaces Ike as the moon of Duna, but does so at such a low orbit that its SOI is constantly caressing the upper edge of the atmosphere, making it highly challenging to get a stable low orbit or even to aerobrake without accidental GIlly gravity assists messing up your trajectory.

With Dres, do the same thing but with over half a dozen small moons on wildly different high-inclination and possibly high-eccentricity orbits to create a chaotic mess where you literally have to weave through the moons' SOIs to land on the planet. I'm thinking all of the moons are asteroids Dres recently captured that either haven't had time to settle down on the ecliptic yet or are in the process of being ejected from Dres orbit due to the constant chaotic gravitational tug-of-war. We could even emphasize that by having two of the small moons on orbits that are not only extremely close to each other but actually intersect each other, not colliding yet due to orbital resonance but being on track for a collision in a couple centuries.

Edited by Fraktal

5 hours ago, Fraktal said:

Why not spice that up? I remember once seeing a mod where Gilly (or some other body, I don't remember) not only replaces Ike as the moon of Duna, but does so at such a low orbit that its SOI is constantly caressing the upper edge of the atmosphere, making it highly challenging to get a stable low orbit or even to aerobrake without accidental GIlly gravity assists messing up your trajectory.

With Dres, do the same thing but with over half a dozen small moons on wildly different high-inclination and possibly high-eccentricity orbits to create a chaotic mess where you literally have to weave through the moons' SOIs to land on the planet. I'm thinking all of the moons are asteroids Dres recently captured that either haven't had time to settle down on the ecliptic yet or are in the process of being ejected from Dres orbit due to the constant chaotic gravitational tug-of-war. We could even emphasize that by having two of the small moons on orbits that are not only extremely close to each other but actually intersect each other, not colliding yet due to orbital resonance but being on track for a collision in a couple centuries.

Alternatively, you could put comets and the large moon in the dresteriod belt. That way the comets and dresteriod are scattered, essentially creating a unique system in each save (since unlike planets, comets are not on rails) Imagine how cool it would be to get a system that you are the first and last person to every receive that Dres system. Of course this will only be possible if modders can place comets wherever they want, because comets have been created in kopernicus 1.10, I imagine it would be possible even now with a script.

Edited by catloaf

On 6/27/2020 at 4:29 AM, KerikBalm said:

The asteroids in orbit don't count?

if not, then this is going to be one sad little asteroid lol. Was doing a mission, putting up a comm sat in deep orbit roughly as high as eeloo's and noticed something in my tracking station. an unknown object <visited it just prior to making this post, and it still insists on being called unknown lol> around dres. Went there, and yup, its an asteroid.

ZMGB95F.png

On 8/10/2020 at 6:18 AM, kerbiloid said:

A boring piece of stone, nothing to look at, like most of them irl.

On 8/8/2020 at 4:54 PM, kspnerd122 said:

So the solution to a boring ball of rock not being worth visiting is to add smaller boring balls of rock around it?

22 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

So the solution to a boring ball of rock not being worth visiting is to add smaller boring balls of rock around it?

"The place of nothing to look at, twice".

"Two nothings by the price of one."

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.