Please avoid unnecessary discussions and stick to known facts about the game.

I got your attention? Good. So, after countless threads, interviews, videos, diaries I lost count what in fact, is going to be included in the upcoming game.

So I created this thread to determine it once and for all. Below you can find a (hopefully) well-thought-out list of things we know for sure are coming.

Parts, mechanics, systems, bodies, features, you name it.

Now, the "you" part is important, I can only dig through so much stuff, so I ask you, dear reader, for help. You found something I didn't? Please post it, with reliable source, so I can add it to repository.

The list is going to be of course expanded as more news come in the upcoming months. Some pictures may repeat, as they fit in more than one category.

eCoHcMZ.jpg

credit: cropped version of this picture

Now it's the list!

1. Environment

1.1 Celestial bodies

We know, as it was mentioned multiple times by our dear Nate Simpson, that the game wil include several star systems, with plenty of planets, moons, and Kraken knows what else. As far as I know, specific numbers hadn't been released to the public, but we've seen some of them. What we do know for sure, is that planets will have axial tilt. And while the starting neighbourhood (Kerbin, Mun, maybe more) won't have it for easier learning curve, we can expect some craziness further into the game, possibly going as far as 90 degree tilt, just like Uranus in our system.

1.1.1 Kerbol System

The main, "starting" system known from the first game is going to stay mostly the same (no new additions, no Gas Planet 2, no asteroid belts, nothing) However, the bodies are getting a massive, well, overhaul is small word for that - it's essentially a remake. Let's start with Kerbin. We're getting a very expanded KSC, however, the looks vary from picture to picture. What we know for sure, is that there will be multiple space centers on the planets, and along with the ability to choose one of total four launchpads or two runways (they wil be longer now), we'll be able to launch craft from docks. The launch tower will move to accomodate the size of the rocket standng on the launchpad.

Oh, and probably the most important bit, the KSC buildings will be destructible.

Spoiler

0xXDg7Z.jpg

Z675c15.png

ODaNoO4.png

EWv9PtS.png

mwyTht5.png

zcGE718.png

aHVBLSn.png

rtw7Deh.png

z6snjg1.png

MixHuEj.png

beta-ksc-timelapse-4.png

EEFV683.jpg

qpGOFf9.png

zcXFm4n.jpg

QyiaSUI.png

qEphdjK.png

A5QH7Yn.png

AMi2yoN.png

ss_9f7d31044972b7c6a2ed7cb241dae8c5cbb2b

ss_9254ff2b95e192ed5d7259a59fd92e298aec3

ss_24402a808b2f4ad9da9fb04dd5e41e526fb2f

VDolxfI.png

YY6L87r.png

The Mun stays roughly identical, with big and small craters and gray surface. Well there's actually quite a difference after recent update, and I expect this level of detail to be kept on every single body in the Kerbal universe

Spoiler

CfdOHym.png

DaJ0KKM.png
CDtNo5R.png
UKTzSOh.png
q6EhQGd.png
i7buvkn.png

caO7nCH.png

RSmPL9V.png

Minmus got shiny. Of course, it's frozen after all. Now it's made of glass! The team on a meeting with a scientist couldn't figure out how the ice would stay on the surface this close to a star without dissipating. So the tiny moon is still shiny, but glassy.

Spoiler

vBDGKbH.png

5E3YAGi.png

sujwl7C.png

T5Pjy6d.png

rutUNFP.png

We got Moho, I repeat, we GOT MOHO

Spoiler

4XfJYC7.png

Gilly. Not much to say, looks better and that's it so far. A LOT BETTER.

Spoiler

3mhJHGw.png

s2aGVsO.png

ti1unXX.png

HNiMEwx.png

ss_b70c97419a4fe39f231b8eaadc6e43027006a

Eve. Now the first picture from orbit is quite old and by looking at shots from the surface below you can probably tell that it'll look much better than that.

Spoiler

bJBLRDFXBfGH7focLp45kQ.jpg

AeFH08s.png

iqu5jqf.png

9CBZJ56.png

0JAqbEX.png

HDrn1NB.png

Duna, now there's plenty of pictures, looks like very significant changes happened.

Spoiler

2GePHgl.png

t68cBCU.png

dQALVCW.png

YdlXW0z.png

Yxg2qAv.png

W4cV86o.png

MFHdo4v.png

QY0mrNw.png

nhLVwP4.png

B0tsBjW.png

Dres was presented by Nate himself, and with ridge in the middle it looks a bit like Iapetus. The famous canyon is still there. And it has a tiny ring!

Spoiler

dres1.thumb.jpg.84e02a99dca0f8953ec04a54

dres2.thumb.jpg.9a4dd59b1dcf6ef3b0b6c69a

dres_canyon.jpg.ae09adfd352746e1b39161c7

OGyPxL2.png

G5tZEEW.png

Ek1uaHf.png

NfBu9Mz.png

Jool system, that's a big one, and there's few things to see. We got a peek at Laythe, Vall, Bop, Pol and Jool itself, which has actual moving volumetric clouds.

Spoiler

TK89Jo1.png

fTyrf7w.png

7kvAxOm.png

bqxzApo.png

xwRf3cn.jpg

zjY9hvj.jpg

Feen8XqXoAMzPmj.jpg

ss_7f7fad7e387f9267d48640edd0dd71cbb2582

m3ECsPY.png

wPsLAqc.png

wq3c7Sn.png

6xcAVVt.png

fNBGx3d.png

bUFN46k.png

n64GtIP.png

ss_075746834e7c2a20a0046a4c6352720af1dd3

MnpXINS.png

VzmjAIu.png

8hm9JcN.png

Fk5PR8n.png

zqZwWx0.png

1Ek5ILA.png

1St0i04.png

KoDqmDF.png

bjtMvL8.jpg

Eeloo, looks like it has gone through few changes since the first reveal in 2019 and the last.

Spoiler

5I2UfMa.png

H6Q7aPT.png

Bd8ZqHm.jpg

lk29Rdv.jpg

zaYNiYB.png

jzIknXr.png

1.1.2 Debdeb system
It is a young star system, and currently we know of four planets there:

Charr. Now it is said that it's "a heat-blasted world of iron", the innermost planet in the system.

Spoiler

W8UbKBO.png

Glumo & Merbel (yes, Merbel, not Merble, confirmed by Nate) a gas giant with rings and it's icy moon we've seen in the trailer.

Spoiler

ZOccTCH.png

C713bMa.png

Gurdamma, a young terrestrial planet that's still experiencing heavy asteroid bombardment, much like Kerbin did billions of years ago. Water on the surface and atmosphere, but with no oxygen. It has a moon, Donk. It has a very short day and is comparable in size to Kerbin. Keen eye will notice patches of lava on the surface (volcanos?). In fact, we did get a peek at this planet quite a while ago, while people thought is was Laythe. The picture I'm talking about is the last here, you can see how level of detail has changed over time.

Spoiler

zhFU3y4.png

dDemfBp.png

5tyUgas.png

bcAhgnF.png

WIB285K.png

Oe3SgcB.png

i8DOst8.png

D5mioXw.png

KQCYA28.png

AMX9vwK.png

S0M1i9w.png

gaVH06a.png

7n090N9.png

6tzGcPP.png

ESHS33v.png

image.thumb.png.aa3d12c72f18d134112d0707

j3Il08K.png

kOXuPd0.png

YjWBHf3.png

1.1.3 Other exoplanets

Now, we don't know where these new bodies are going to hang out, but we do have some pictures.

Rask and Rusk, "a binary pair locked in a dance of death", so close to each other that tidal forces rip them apart. Should be fun. And as far as we know, the only binary system using different physics system than the well known from first game 2-body. "in the case of Rask and Rusk, we’ll be calculating the gravitational pull of multiple bodies on our Kerbal vessels, so that developing a stable orbit in complex conditions like a binary planet system becomes a new and exciting challenge! In addition, attempting a landing on Rask or Rusk will be a different experience depending on the location of the sister planet in relation to your target for touchdown, and yes, there will be an astable Lagrage point between the two planets (if we pull this off correctly)"

Spoiler

f81acfcbafa940f4d9f2a85437859df89b396f96

cVPzc4n.png

FAxeJmO.png

PJYhIOM.png

VAgdFmI.png

Skutt. A rocky body of irregular shape that could fling you out into space if you tried to land on the far end of it. That implies very fast rotation.

Spoiler

mm8DGkK.png

AHzK3CU.png

W4cdXPy.png

Ovin is a terrestrial super-Kerbin, 60% larger than Kerbin with a gravity of 4G’s. Ovin has no tall mountains - this is a smashed, scorched landscape. 

Spoiler

eKTGW5k.png

xoZzz05.png

u7QYmT2.png

KHSzTDo.png

h6KyHUh.png

ITNTZ3q.png

ufMDj7X.png

Puf is the always watching eyeball (and it scares me to this day, and will forever). All we know is it has polar caps, and the rest of the surface isn't frozen, so I doubt that it's tidally locked to the star.

Spoiler

lKJr7K6.png

Lapat appeared only twice and rumor says it has vegetation on the surface. And clouds.

Spoiler

qKv6Klb.png

qJuvVt5.png

1.2 Terrain & visual effects

That is something we really want to see, after decade of looking at, let's face it, very bland environment.

1.2.1 Ground

Tired of seeing smooth hills, two patches of grass per square kilometer and rocks you can clip through? KSP2 comes to the rescue. We're getting redone ground that sure would be interesting to explore, and look at. Mesas, hills, canyons, meadows... And yes, terrain scatters have collisions now.

Spoiler

t68cBCU.png

M9Za06s.png

7048784_image(1)(1).png.726d8423336ccef4

1Ek5ILA.png

ti1unXX.png

TSLNhJo.png

1.2.2 Rings.

Yes we're getting them, and they're not only a 2D plane you fly through. There are rocks inside them, so plan your trajectory. They also cast shadows, and receive shadows from the planet.

Spoiler

C3ArYwk.png

eKTGW5k.png

image.thumb.png.aa3d12c72f18d134112d0707

AGAuKzG.png

NfBu9Mz.png

1.2.3 Eye candy.

Shiny stuff! Explosions! Reflections! PBR! Lights! VFX! Waves! CLOUDS. The game will look nice. Things are going to look different depending on the surroundings. Engine plumes are based on type of engine, fuel they burn etc. Explosions we will see willl be different each time, and will depend on various factors, like where they are (vacuum? atmo?), what's inside the tank that's exploding, how much fuel is inside etc.

1.3 Interface

1.3.1 HUD

That's a subject to change. So far we've seen several iterations, while kinda similar to each other, there were a lot of changes to the style. Look at differences. It's worth mentioning that the plan is to make it much more useful than the one in first game, and more ergonomic. However, we'll be able to move its elements around, like if for example you'd want to obstruct the bottom of the screen and not see where you're landing, you can put the navball there.
The Map view has been also completely overhauled to better present important bits of information, like spheres of influence, maneuvers, spots on the orbit path etc. And there is an integrated burn timer, for more precise maneuvers.

Spoiler

6ToKwkc.png

3UmQxrfTsm9zLVXD9YJ3GQ.jpg

I3OUdok.png

KHAdSIF.png

oEE8KN3.png

YZslH26.png

7D5Mbp1.png

B0tsBjW.png

1.3.2 VAB

That's a big one. Because we won't have just one VAB on Kerbin, as we explore the solar system and beyond, so we're be able to switch between different buldings on different worlds. Sorting, filtering, searching have been improved, as well as the subassembly system. Now we'll be able to save not just one rocket, but a whole workplace, for example with different upper stages on the same lifter - all in one file. We're also getting some new buttons which, as far as I remember, weren't explained. Yes, there were some speculations (a breakdown by ShadowZone for example, and my own edit of the picture below) but it's still open. Another new feature is a blueprint view. Makes, among other things, arranging symmetry in easier way than in old 3D view.

Spoiler

KciivOG.pngsyY6QlV.png

Note: we see here that Swivel is now a methalox engine, which makes this fuel like a basic one.

2NY6hEd.png
images-7.png
sP5PZpD.pngwEhDxM2.png

d5SctEO.png

kukGcXZ.png

NV6FJ3G.png

yTlXpon.png

z6fJOtd.jpg

dRW0sv7.png

1.3.3 Animated tutorials

The whole tutorial section is getting an overhaul. No more boring wall of text by Wernher von Kerman. We're going to see animations. To get the message through better, they're gonna use metaphors so they're easier to understand for someone who doesn't get physics. And more than that, the tutorials will be contextual. Let's say you're launching a rocket with the intent of docking in orbit. So your mission profile contains few elements. Building, launching, gravity turn, circularizing, rendezvous, docking. If you have trouble with any of these, you don't have to watch a 10 minutes-long video by Scott Manley, you can just stay in the game and watch a tutorial that covers that specific part of the mission you have trouble with. So all in all, tutorials, if I read that correctly, last 47 minutes total. Not that anyone would just sit and watch from start to end, that's why they're contextual. Plus, I see some popculture references.

Spoiler

JEA7kw3.png

TRNEdCL.png

loTxFLC.png

pJwCHbr.png4R9t8zb.pngFigure-7.pngdngPEec.png

dUxiZOZ.png

Pu8wEWD.png

7enHsUf.png

2. Gameplay

2.1 Colony mechanics and off-world construction

Right, so while the main point of the game, as pointed out by devs, is still flying rockets, but colonies will play a big part here, as they are our window to interstellar voyages.  At first, our bases you have to be brought from Kerbin and assembled, inflated in place, but once we get access to ISRU (more below) we'll be able to construct more parts, expand the colony, and even assemble new spaceships. And it's not only ground-based, because we'll be limited by the size of new VAB, but orbital shipyards will also be a thing. From there we will be able to create ships few times the size of Kerbin's VAB, capable of reaching insane velocities on interstellar travels. On the other side of the equation, there wil be a new way for colony construction. BAE (I love the name though), Building Assembly Editor.

Spoiler

t68cBCU.png

sujwl7C.png

I29IM4U.png

ui3eR0e.png

f3PMjUA.png

YdlXW0z.png

5E3YAGi.png

kc3rJLX.png

pxumrIj.png

2.2 Resource extraction

Yes, resources. No more magical Ore -> Liquid Fuel+Oxidizer plus Monoprop. We're going wider. Unless I missed something, so far we are aware of five types of resources. Xenon, metallic hydrogen, helium-3, methalox and good old monopropellant. Plus two the devs have not revealed yet. And we obviously can't create resources out of thin air, so we have to extract them (from atmosphere? ground? synthesise in some other way?) and process to something usable. From the parts we know, there's deep resource scanner, which is quite large. Also, those resources will be used to develop new technologies.

Spoiler

image.png.6e150f01ff3db5307c7e17f5b87c04

DQUnXgD.png

loIQmpO.png
ooDybpl.png

2.3 Life(?) support of some kind and other things affecting Kerbals

That's a tricky one. While I know that nothing has been officially confirmed take that back, we have some translated info "I can say so much that the need to keep Kerbals alive is a feature we're going to introduce now" , so I'm kiiinda taking this too far, but come on. These in a picture below must exist for a reason. Also, we know that different form of radiation will have some effect on Kerbals.

Spoiler

M9Za06s.png

2.4 Automated resupply missions/delivery route system

To keep the game entertaining and not make it too repetitive, once we've done particular mission at least once - like, for example, drive a rover to dig site, load some materials, drive back and unload; or. take a payload of xenon from surface base to orbital shipyard for vessel contruction - we'll be able to set it to work continuously without our attention, in the background, so we don't have to spend countless hours flying the same rocket there and back again only to transfer 420 tons of xenon.

2.5 Discoveries

During normal progression, we won't be able to see every single body the game will have to offer. No, we would see stars, but planets would have to be discovered - most likely by some sort of a telescope - and then, more info would appear as we get closer and finally land on the surface. Good, more unknown.

2.6 Asteroids!

Yes they exist! Look like below aaand that's pretty much all we know.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.704503e293bda0e982f69a57

3. Parts

There will be many, many more parts. Around 600 currently, with probably more to come after release. Also the team said that most of the original parts are making their way into the new game, plus all the parts we've seen in the trailer are also actual assets in the game. So yeah there was a lot of stuff. And like, just look above, how many new things you see. Mindblowing if you ask me.

3.1 Engines and propulsion

Metallic hydrogen engine. Early video tells us also about atmospheric, water-cooled version, let's see if that makes it to the final version.

Spoiler

1WW84Gv.png

JfL5J8I.png

Xx54rb2.png

gwyscu5.png

Orion-kind engine. Powered by nuclear explosions against a pusher plate. Real world concept. Not for use in proximity of, well, anything. It's nuclear explosion after all. Note that there are few sizes of that engine, and one of them is now officially named! Right below:

Spoiler

NPR_Putt_Putt_Engine_Pre_Alpha.png?w=529

6BP0Ce9.png

xjr7mDI.png

7jRZjUN.png

cj0kWp9.png

"Torchship" engine, basically endgame thing. Quoting "the holy grail, it is a torch that you ride, screaming white death"

Spoiler

ao0hl9K.png

Daedalus-style engine. In short words, a fusion engine based on another real life concept, theoretically capable of reaching significant % of lightspeed. We've seen it multiple times, usually near a shipyard somewhere near the orbit of Vall and flying by Glumo. It is said that it will use brachistochrone trajectories to get to places. As in, accelerating for one half of the journey, and decelerating for the other half.

Spoiler

V3Sj5kN.png

D1DsHdQ.png

rhm0rtd.png

Nuclear Engine for Rocket Vehicles - UpScaled, or NERV-US. "a 2.5m part that, like the new NERV, runs on liquid hydrogen fuel. The engine has 2 modes: Low-thrust, high-ISP mode that uses liquid hydrogen in the same way that the NERV does. High-thrust, low-ISP mode that burns both liquid hydrogen and oxidizer (think of this as an afterburner that dumps LOX into the nozzle itself for extra kick) In low-thrust mode, a large vacuum-rated nozzle telescopes downward, extending the overall nozzle length. In high-thrust mode, the nozzle is short.

Spoiler

xlpJ84b.png

IeqlNbv.png

xlpJ84b.png385994675_Jun25ShowAndTell.png.b6ce062d4

Plasma engine. Based on real life ideas, mid tech engine, which was described in detail here.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1fd217d27866c19a04b28e41

Mammoth-II, "packing all of the performance of the old four-nozzle Mammoth into one very powerful package"

Spoiler

XnjYOVH.pngkyTjZoD.pngcH4rcUx.pngOxIdEGv.png

zc04OMK.png

Alongside NERV, there's also yet-to-be-unveiled SWERV(?), a large size nuclear engine.

And new 3.75m low thrust engine, Poodle's large cousin, Labradoodle.

3.2 Power generation

That's the freshiest piece of information we got. "New power generation modules for colonies! Your nuclear power options will progress from compact fission reactors [tiny one in the middle] to giant fusion tokamaks to next-generation Z-pinch fusion reactors." Also if you look closely, you can find a Kerbal in the picture. Just if you wondered about the scale of these things. There will be also more, smaller generators to fit on spacecraft. Below, geothermal plant and wind turbine. Yay renewable energy!

Spoiler

mcUuvkJ.png
GBC155v.png
MM01aUA.png
c9wxgJL.png

3.3 Colony fuel factories

We know of five types of fuel factories. "From smallest to largest: Methalox Fuel Factory, Monopropellant Fuel Factory, Xenon Fuel Factory, Helium-3 Fuel Factory, and Metallic Hydrogen Fuel Factory. How does it work? LASERS, of course!"

Spoiler

loIQmpO.png

3.4 Procedural parts

Quite a big change, eh? But yes, some parts like wings and radiators will be procedural, up to certain point. Wings will go with control surfaces right in them. No more fiddling with elevons and trying to figure out why they want to attach in wrong axis. And every edit will show how it affects how the vessel flies, how it affects its aerodynamics etc. Radiators are editable in every direction (I'm assuming on 2D plane). Wings are editable in all sorts of ways, thickness, length, control surface size, angle etc.

Spoiler

EZ59gnn.png

NV6FJ3G.png

yTlXpon.png

9YdIF3J.png

wd9Dzr6.png

hvpZwaE.png

ETT79m2.png

MxLh95l.png

A8rJUCO.png

kVZMSUr.png

EG2quty.png

3.5 Other known parts

Runways/roads! Using a set of straights, corners etc we'll be able to build whole cities to walk or drive around

Spoiler

n4D7KmK.png

Rover wheels with working suspension

Spoiler

bUFN46k.png

n64GtIP.png

2CoMcN4.png

vBZrxCb.png

MnpXINS.png

Orbital launch clamps, for releasing your ship for a voyage into space (from space)

Spoiler

86yRRvc.png

3.6 Color-coding and painting

We will be able to pain our ships. Not much to say about it, but I think it could be important in multiplayer, and to make your way through 15 ships docked to your station, so you know wchich one goes where. Another quote from Nate: "the color controls in the VAB allow for application of color on a whole-vehicle or a per-part basis. You select your default color scheme when you start a new game, and your vehicles automatically have that color scheme. But I've found that you can make some incredibly cool-looking vehicles by changing the color of individual parts"

Spoiler

leyXTWG.png

6BP0Ce9.png

MCuJKoM.png

rSXYvQM.png

image.png.225042d6925e3582a3df4b6e875c8f
xHCJBXB.png
k6g02Oc.png

dRW0sv7.png

ApahFAY.png

zRuyBlR.png

z6fJOtd.jpg

4. Kerbals(wip)

4.1 New animations

Talking about in-game animations, their reactions for player's actions will be determined by their traits. We will still have courage and stupidity, but that's what we know so far.

Spoiler

ouAMIiX.png

vrGOMXv.png

4.2 Population growth

5. Multiplayer

5.1 Agencies and game modes.

As of now, we know of two modes in multiplayer - cooperation or space race. In coperation mode, players will be working inside a single agency, contributing to one space program. In space race, each player will be controlling their own space agency, each one located in different place on Kerbin, competing with each other, basically going for "who's first". Or sabotaging each other launches, or whatever else they can come up with.

5.2 Cooperation in construction

We will be able to swap and exchange our VAB/SPH workspaces between other players, which means, essentially, that you could use someone else's launch vehicle with your rover at ease.

5.3 Trading resources will be possible.

And probably any other interaction with other player's ships, colonies etc.

5.4 Kerbal emotes

Aside from default idle animations, we should be able to control what they show.

Credits:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/195263-show-and-tell/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/200602-developer-insights-4---ksp2-engineering/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187315-kerbal-space-program-2-master-post/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/197951-finally-peeled-that-gold-foil-off-the-windows/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/197513-xenon-and-on/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/195206-pc-gamer-article-is-now-online/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187421-ksp2-flight-ui-from-developer-story-trailer/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187802-pax-west-pre-show-info-dump-thanks-to-nomrbond-for-bringing-this-to-our-attention-all-credit-goes-to-them/

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/205123-nate-simpson/content/&type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187318-hopes-and-wishes-for-ksp-2
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/200104-show-and-tell-new-power-generation-modules-for-colonies/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187606-some-more-ksp2-footage/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/200486-show-and-tell-colony-fuel-factories/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/201765-show-and-tell-pol-terrain-work/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/202101-show-and-tell-mun-terrain-work/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/202735-show-and-tell-the-kerbal-space-center/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/202990-show-and-tell-creating-new-parts/

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/203719-show-and-tell-gurdamma/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/203310-show-and-tell-new-lantr-engine/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/204240-show-and-tell-terrain-progress/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/209147-show-and-tell-mammoth-ii-engine
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/208746-developer-insights-14-part-creation/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/209566-developer-insights-15-writing-for-kerbal-space-program/
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/209962-show-and-tell-jool-flyby/

Edited by The Aziz
phew2.

24 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@The Aziz Good idea to organise our knowledge of KSP 2 features. Maybe you should add something about the xenon factories mentioned in the Xenon and On post, perhaps under resource extraction?

Thank you, I've been meaning to do this for few days now but time wasn't cooperating.

And yes, I will add that, there will be also the rest of resources we find in the game (as in, so far, MH and whatever the nuclear engines use, unless there's something else I missed).

Edited by The Aziz

20 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Don't forget the kerbals!

What about them? The new animations and their reactions will be included of course, is there something else?

20 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Seems like we're getting full PBR shading throughout the game.

That's covered in "eye candy", though I didn't name it. The short clip is still linked there.

4 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

As Nate said "Kerbals will celibate by.. increasing their population.''

..you sure it was celibate? :wink: But yes, that will go into colony mechanics.

Thank you so much for taking your time to do this repository. The hype train is still running!!

With 1.11 out we can ask ourselves whether the EVA building and repairing characteristics will appear in KSP 2 (especially due to the number of sequences with Kerbals breaking things (although you'd need more than 1 repair kit to repair a whole colony:wink:)). 

This might seem more controversial but having an evolving environment with Rask and Rusk possibly colliding.

Accessibility to as many players as possible by making the release not too intensive for a computer. (https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/dev-diaries/developer-insights-4-ksp2-engineering/)

Lagrange points (for Rask and Rusk at the very least https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/dev-diaries/developer-insights-4-ksp2-engineering/)

Trading in between colonies (in multiplayer https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/dev-diaries/developer-insights-4-ksp2-engineering/)

Tutorials (maybe put a bit more emphasis on that in your list https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/dev-diaries/developer-insights-5-ksp2-tutorial-animations/)

Other small details I noticed that might be true:

• its probably just the animation but there are
    • footprints of the Kerbals on EVA
    • visible sonic waves
    • might be a heads up display (possible 1 person gameplay?)
    • the ability to simulate gravity (with the rotating ring)
  • actual space telescopes for observing distant objects (talks with James Webb project scientist)

38 minutes ago, Still Stuck in Orbit said:

With 1.11 out we can ask ourselves whether the EVA building and repairing characteristics will appear in KSP 2 (especially due to the number of sequences with Kerbals breaking things (although you'd need more than 1 repair kit to repair a whole colony:wink:)).

My guess is that it will be more of an early game sort of thing.

SO, when you first land on the Mun, you might need to fix your landing legs or antenna with a kit you brought with you, but once you have a colony, you can manufacture those parts.

38 minutes ago, Still Stuck in Orbit said:

This might seem more controversial but having an evolving environment with Rask and Rusk possibly colliding.

Unlikely. They would have to simulate collisions, which would be super intensive, not to mention it removes two planets. Plus, in a binary system, it's much more likely that the planets would tear each other apart with gravitational forces. You can see in the trailer that they have lava on the sides facing the other planet; this is the same phenomena that would destroy the planets, if it happened.

Also, in terms of mechanics, the devs said they are going to use the same drag cube system as KSP 1

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

54 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

My guess is that it will be more of an early game sort of thing.

SO, when you first land on the Mun, you might need to fix your landing legs or antenna with a kit you brought with you, but once you have a colony, you can manufacture those parts.

Definitely agree although it would make this economically difficult and mean the Kerbals would have to go around with spare parts. The EVA building could be done in ship yards but it still seems like a really enriching property that opens up so many more possibilities. I'm also wondering what kind of new specialization might come up and how they could actually tie into the game play more.

There are two UI choices, but you want to pick one. Why not both? There should be a "UI Style" button in the main menu settings that cycles through the options. Because of this, there should be room for mods to add more UI styles, perhaps even the KSP1 UI.

Here's a source for Nate Simpson describing something that sounds like life support without wanting to actually use the word life support:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187606-some-more-ksp2-footage/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-3660173

And here's Nate Simpson briefly confirming automated flights. He adds that resource collection e.g. mining missions can also be automated. I wonder how that would work with asteroids.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187318-hopes-and-wishes-for-ksp-2/page/37/&tab=comments#comment-3812496

2 hours ago, InfernoSD said:

Here's a source for Nate Simpson describing something that sounds like life support without wanting to actually use the word life support:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187606-some-more-ksp2-footage/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-3660173

And here's Nate Simpson briefly confirming automated flights. He adds that resource collection e.g. mining missions can also be automated. I wonder how that would work with asteroids.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187318-hopes-and-wishes-for-ksp-2/page/37/&tab=comments#comment-3812496

I'm hoping it goes something like the machines that put that one machinist out of a job in Vonnegut's Player Piano. Turn on your KAL 10,000 MCU's record function, fly as best as you can from point A to B, hit stop, and let that flight recording serve as the template for all the automated runs of that route. Better make sure your escape asymptote's lined up nice and tidy with planetary prograde and your gravity losses minimal the first time around, or you'll be flushing a lot of resources down the drain with every run. Else get better ships or a better understanding of spaceflight, and re-record those runs to be more efficient down the line.

Alright I'm back after short break (turns out I'm capable of doing the big internets only on weekends now, eh)

On 2/2/2021 at 2:55 PM, Still Stuck in Orbit said:

Accessibility to as many players as possible by making the release not too intensive for a computer. (https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/dev-diaries/developer-insights-4-ksp2-engineering/)

Lagrange points (for Rask and Rusk at the very least https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/dev-diaries/developer-insights-4-ksp2-engineering/)

Trading in between colonies (in multiplayer https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/dev-diaries/developer-insights-4-ksp2-engineering/)

Tutorials (maybe put a bit more emphasis on that in your list https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/dev-diaries/developer-insights-5-ksp2-tutorial-animations/)

Other small details I noticed that might be true:

• its probably just the animation but there are
    • footprints of the Kerbals on EVA
    • visible sonic waves
    • might be a heads up display (possible 1 person gameplay?)
    • the ability to simulate gravity (with the rotating ring)
  • actual space telescopes for observing distant objects (talks with James Webb project scientist)

About these, fair point, I shall expand the line about twins, and of course there will be a whole paragraph about multiplayer. Tutorials part, yes, I will also take a longer look at it.
Sonic waves are effects I remember from first game I believe, so that's normal. And yes, the rotating ring will be in game, it was clearly visible somewhere in prealpha footage. Also yes, discovering planets through telescopes etc is confirmed by Nate.

On 2/3/2021 at 7:23 AM, InfernoSD said:

Good catches about both. Though, I'd rather have original footage from the interview (as we know, sometimes people like to put in other's mouths words they didn't say) than dubbed in German and translated back to English. Well I guess I can't complain and I shall be happy with everything we have.

With all that covered, to the Secret Lab!
to post editor

EDIT: oh there's a new video. Nice.

Edited by The Aziz

27 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Instead of doing a massive forum thread, or in addition to, perhaps filling out the KSP wiki?   I don't edit wiki's, so I'm not sure what that would entail. 

I don't use the wiki, except for planet pages from time to time when I need geostationary orbit info, for several reasons - one of them may be the fact that wiki is, which is strange for such large community as this one - outdated and/or incomplete for a long time after changes in the game (for example, pages for probe cores from ESA collab update are still nonexistent). So I have no interest in working on it.

However, if someone wants to do so, feel free to use the collected info above. It's gonna be easier now that they're all collected in one place, instead of 50.

10 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

My list of new named and new unamed planets was lost. But instead of trying to revive that, I will try to get information for u here.

F for your loss, I actually wanted to use some of that info (mostly, pictures to be honest) but they were gone. Though I haven't found much more about the bodies except for what I already included, but hey, if you find something new, you're welcome.

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Instead of doing a massive forum thread, or in addition to, perhaps filling out the KSP wiki?   I don't edit wiki's, so I'm not sure what that would entail. 

It's hard to make a wiki for a game that isn't released yet. We could start some pages for things like new planets and ship parts with a few pictures. However someone should make the decision on how the wiki will be organized for KSP2 before any significant work is done. Will concepts like Kerbin or the MK1 Pod get a separate page for each game, or will they be on the same page split halfway, or will a second wiki be started just for KSP2?

Anyway I think this thread will be a great resource for anyone trying to get up to speed on what we know so far. If you try to Google for "what we know about KSP2", you'll get outdated reddit posts, short articles from news outlets, and an outdated video from Scott Manley. This thread already beats them all by a mile.

Can you add a section about the music? The latest Show and Tell (Power Generation Modules) is the first time the game's music is revealed and that's quite significant! The music that was in previous videos (Next Gen Tech and Kerbals) was made by a different company. They were specifically made for said videos, it's extremely unlikely they'll be in-game.

7 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

I mean. I have found many parts through all KSP2 ore alspha game play of recognizable parts. Should I present them?

I'd rather see new parts, but if we know something about them, what's their purpose etc. Avoiding kind of "part x, probably does y, fits in z". Raw facts please.

I see no point in posting all recycled parts from ksp1 since we more or less know what they do and look like, even if they were remade.

57 minutes ago, Thundy said:

Can you add a section about the music? The latest Show and Tell (Power Generation Modules) is the first time the game's music is revealed and that's quite significant! The music that was in previous videos (Next Gen Tech and Kerbals) was made by a different company. They were specifically made for said videos, it's extremely unlikely they'll be in-game.

That could go there but it's gonna be a workinprogress for a long time, since we know literally one piece of music. Things like music changing depending on situation (which community really wants) is still unknown I believe.

12 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I see no point in posting all recycled parts from ksp1 since we more or less know what they do and look like, even if they were remade.

Nate Simpson told me that some parts from KSP won’t make it to KSP2.

Most, if not all, of the parts from KSP1 will be finding their way into KSP2. In a few cases, some of the parts don't make as much sense within the new tech progression, and those parts have been omitted. Fortunately, there are many, many new engines. We think you'll be happy with what you can do in the new game. If we discover at some point post-release that an omitted part is problematic for a lot of people, we would of course re-examine that decision. :)