Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

12 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

For something more interesting, Mt. Chimborazo in Ecuador is farther from the Earth's center than Mt. Everest, while not being as high above sea level as Everest is. I guess I can't resist to point out interesting geography facts.

It's also the best location on Earth for a ramp launcher for spacecraft. 

Hong Kong is somewhere still using bamboo scaffolding. Mainland China, just across the river from it, banned the use of bamboo scaffolding in 2000 and replaced it with metal. Have to say, I do hope that they will phase out bamboo scaffolding as soon as possible. Because bamboo + fall protection nets + flammable liquids = torch. Some of them is God damn big torch

4 hours ago, steve9728 said:

Hong Kong is somewhere still using bamboo scaffolding. Mainland China, just across the river from it, banned the use of bamboo scaffolding in 2000 and replaced it with metal. Have to say, I do hope that they will phase out bamboo scaffolding as soon as possible. Because bamboo + fall protection nets + flammable liquids = torch. Some of them is God damn big torch

Did not know that it had been banned.  Was a real 'skilled labor' feat for folks to build and tie all that together.   I've seen shows on it and was simply amazed that people would rely on that much craft, so very high up!  Figured it was China-wide given the ubiquitousness of bamboo.

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Did not know that it had been banned.  Was a real 'skilled labor' feat for folks to build and tie all that together.   I've seen shows on it and was simply amazed that people would rely on that much craft, so very high up!  Figured it was China-wide given the ubiquitousness of bamboo.

Do some "deep dive" on social media and I find that in some rural village, when the villagers build their own houses, some of them also using bamboo. I guess no one would have bothered if no one had reported it. Or even they also don't know it's been banned. 

However, one of the disadvantages of metal scaffolding is that there is a certain chance that the tubes and connectors will be stolen and sold as scrap. I still remember one day after school when I was kid, "Dad, why are those two guys running with such long steel pipes?"

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/all-the-biomass-of-earth-in-one-graphic/

Spoiler

Biomass_v9.png

Humans 0.06 Gt

Livestock 0.1 Gt

Wild mammals and birds 0.01 Gt.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2204892120

Spoiler

pnas.2204892120fig02.jpg

If all become vegan, the livestock  becomes useless and would be eliminated.
The wild animals would be eaten in turn by the increased population of local humans, but replace the domesticated ones on former pastures, in less by orders of magnitude amounts.

So it would be ~0.1 Gt of vegan humans vs ~0.01 wild beasts, 10:1.

Thus if vegans win, the human becomes almost the only significant mammal on Earth, and the only kind of self-domesticated cattle as well.

Eat the meat, save the planet.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 5/16/2023 at 10:02 PM, steve9728 said:

Do some "deep dive" on social media and I find that in some rural village, when the villagers build their own houses, some of them also using bamboo. I guess no one would have bothered if no one had reported it. Or even they also don't know it's been banned. 

However, one of the disadvantages of metal scaffolding is that there is a certain chance that the tubes and connectors will be stolen and sold as scrap. I still remember one day after school when I was kid, "Dad, why are those two guys running with such long steel pipes?"

People building / renovating their own houses or farms are rarely is up to code even in the west, lots of Darwin awards stuff  here, stepladder in an front loader on an tractor is a trend. 
I say the main downside of bamboo is that it has more variations and flaws and require more skill to do well than steel. 

Sometimes removing the scaffolding is optional. One guy in my army squad worked for an scaffolding company and they was scaffolding an oil platform. The previous platform sunk so they had been under high workload but now they was done and was removing it, on morning boss told them to stop removing scaffolding and focus on more expensive stuff. Then the alarm sounds you grab the most expensive stuff and get out couple of hour later they heard that he called the dive alarm :)  

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

The 3000-years-dead Egyptian pharaoh Ramesses II has a(n expired) passport.

(spoilered because the image is kinda big)

Reveal hidden contents

42741164_2302733256435105_18416308664139

Weird that he chose to publish it on the internet without any redactions. Isn't he worried about identity theft?