Tu-141 crashes in Zagreb

Shpaget

1 hour ago, DDE said:

The munitions [...] were Tu-141s.

Do we have any sort of confirmation for this that doesn't come from the government channels? I don't know what else might have been used, and I don't know why this would be a fabrication, but recent experience has shown that you can't trust the official information even when there is absolutely no reason to lie about it.

56 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Do we have any sort of confirmation for this that doesn't come from the government channels? I don't know what else might have been used, and I don't know why this would be a fabrication, but recent experience has shown that you can't trust the official information even when there is absolutely no reason to lie about it.

I don’t know about the sources of that, but in any case, there are alternatives.

CNN proposed the 1000km range indigenous cruise missile that was teased around October could have been used. They appear to have pulled that idea out of nowhere (on their own), but it is plausible.

8 hours ago, K^2 said:

Do we have any sort of confirmation for this that doesn't come from the government channels?

Of course there's not. The only source is satellite imagery, and it's only good enough to show evidence of blasts (and hence give an idea of CEP that's pretty bad for a locally-launched and controlled drone).

7 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

CNN proposed the 1000km range indigenous cruise missile that was teased around October could have been used. They appear to have pulled that idea out of nowhere (on their own), but it is plausible.

It's fairly logical speculation given the style of the attack. Its warhead would be a little bit on the lighter side, but so is the damage done.

Props for calling it a cruise missile when CNN still sticks to the "loitering munition" nonsense, it definitely doesn't apply to a Geranium equivalent.

52 minutes ago, DDE said:

Of course there's not.

Figured I'd ask, since we keep seeing pictures being shared all the time from what should be secured sites. Opsec is a skill and most people don't have it. I haven't seen anything yet, but a photo of some shrapnel from one of the locations hit would be far more reliable than a news article, especially if geotagged. (Because, no, really, opsec is that bad.)

2 hours ago, K^2 said:

Figured I'd ask, since we keep seeing pictures being shared all the time from what should be secured sites. Opsec is a skill and most people don't have it. I haven't seen anything yet, but a photo of some shrapnel from one of the locations hit would be far more reliable than a news article, especially if geotagged. (Because, no, really, opsec is that bad.)

No shrapnel. Dyagelevo has leaked two, scratch that, three images.

Spoiler

c0o3KGvFFIA.jpg?size=768x893&quality=96&

Note a Kh-22/Kh-32 on the central hardpoint. It's likely the attack was timed to target fully laden bombers.

The others feature a major pool of blood under a tanker truck, so, not posting them here.

Edited by DDE

On 12/6/2022 at 11:33 PM, K^2 said:

Good enough?

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2022/12/07/ukraine-used-home-modified-drones-to-strike-russian-bases-00072936

• 1 month later...

Something flying at 50 m and carrying an OFAB-100-120 was shot down in the doldrums near Kaluga, one oblast over from Moscow. The same day a crashed Tu-141 was found at Shevchenkovskoye on the Ukrainian side of the border. Looks like part of a twin salvo.

https://t.me/warjournaltg/20366

Edited by DDE

• 3 weeks later...

Adygea - few details available for now, though, but it definitely looks like a Strizh or Reys

https://t.me/muratkumpilov/4229

No details on today's bogey above Saint Petersburg. Belgorod shootdowns were small and slow UAVs.

Edit: and the one in Kolomna was a propeller-powered UJ-22.

Edited by DDE

• 4 weeks later...

People, we've been letting this thread continue because it's current events and related to aerospace, but we do need to avoid the subject of politics. Some comments removed, and please keep it that way because we'd rather not have to shut the thread down. 

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

...smells like 'false flag'

Officially it was an air defense drill.

An extremely disruptive, unprecedented drill.

From all the options, a literal bogey seems like the most credible one. Or a balloon, I hear those are the latest fashion in 2023.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.