KSP2 EA: EVA construction

Vl3d

Simple question: are EVA construction mechanics included in EA at launch?

[snip]

I'm fairly certain EVA construction will not be included in EA at launch. Have not heard even a whisper of this.

Edited by Vl3d
Redacted by moderator and myself

To address the actual topic: if we get something akin to KSP1's EVA Construction Mode in KSP2, I would expect it to appear in phase 3 of early access, which deals with, quote, "orbital vehicle construction". (Source) Of course, it really depends on how that construction is implemented in practice.

If it doesn't appear during early access at all, then maybe it'll appear in a future update or DLC.

Edited by Streetwind

58 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

To address the actual topic: if we get something akin to KSP1's EVA Construction Mode in KSP2, I would expect it to appear in phase 3 of early access, which deals with, quote, "orbital vehicle construction". (Source) Of course, it really depends on how that construction is implemented in practice.

If it doesn't appear during early access at all, then maybe it'll appear in a future update or DLC.

"Orbital Vehicle Construction" refers to the orbital VAB we'll be able to create in orbit around a star, planet or moon. 

But I do agree that EVA construction will come with colonies. I imagine some modules might need a kerbal there to do something. Maybe not as extreme as connecting power cables or water lines, but something akin to opening inflatable modules, etc, which might need a special tool. 

Some content has been redacted and/or removed, due to making things overly personal.

Folks, please try to confine your discussion to the game, not your fellow posters in the forum. The way your peers choose to express themselves is not your concern, and it's not appropriate to discuss their attitudes or motivations.

In addition, please refrain from any public discussion of moderation, per forum rules 3.2, 3.3, and 3.4. If you have any concerns about someone else's behavior, please file a report. If you have any concerns about moderator action or inaction, please raise the matter privately with us and we're happy to discuss.

Thank you for your understanding.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

"Orbital Vehicle Construction" refers to the orbital VAB we'll be able to create in orbit around a star, planet or moon. 

But I do agree that EVA construction will come with colonies. I imagine some modules might need a kerbal there to do something. Maybe not as extreme as connecting power cables or water lines, but something akin to opening inflatable modules, etc, which might need a special tool. 

Makes me wonder if you can modify an ship in the orbital  VAB? As in dock it and edit? Not very relevant at the space center in ksp 1 but would be nice in space

Just now, magnemoe said:

Makes me wonder if you can modify an ship in the orbital  VAB? As in dock it and edit? Not very relevant at the space center in ksp 1 but would be nice in space

If it isn't in game, I'm sure a mod will add the functionality. After all, KSP 2's modding scene will be out of this world. Pun intended. Intercept is unlocking so many new doors for modders, that I can't wait to see what they do with the new tools and code at their disposal. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

You'll be able to modify the station itself with the BAE, and that's confirmed.

Using it to move docked crafts to the orbital VAB to edit them? Recovering, storing, editing, and reusing named crafts should totally be in the game.

Especially later in the colonial game when you have to mine the resources for everything you build, if they have a craft reuse system they can play with what you get back from dismantling crafts (instead of giving you back 100% of the resources).

15 minutes ago, Master39 said:

You'll be able to modify the station itself with the BAE, and that's confirmed.

Using it to move docked crafts to the orbital VAB to edit them? Recovering, storing, editing, and reusing named crafts should totally be in the game.

Especially later in the colonial game when you have to mine the resources for everything you build, if they have a craft reuse system they can play with what you get back from dismantling crafts (instead of giving you back 100% of the resources).

Makes sense then I think of it, an docked craft is part of the orbital dock. As in the dock is just an orbital base who can modify itself. 
Put some large engines on it for profit, yes you will need some mining ships docked to it. You also need kerbals but they replicates in KSP 2. 
Now I expect this to be an heavy structure closer to 1000 ton than 100 and this is obviously dry mass. But not as large as the starship launching station in the intro as it had lots of storage who you build at the target. 

Technically, we've got Orbital Construction now, in KSP1.

An Orbital VAB lets you build a ship/station in a complete piece. Much easier to do, much easier to build 'symmetrically', less wasted parts and fuel. We're building on what we have now, which is what's meant to happen with a sequel.

1 hour ago, stephensmat said:

Technically, we've got Orbital Construction now, in KSP1.

An Orbital VAB lets you build a ship/station in a complete piece. Much easier to do, much easier to build 'symmetrically', less wasted parts and fuel. We're building on what we have now, which is what's meant to happen with a sequel.

Well kerbin is in orbit, the benefit of building in orbit is that you don't have to launch it and don't have to design it to be launched. 
The extraterastrial launchpad mod let you build stuff in orbit or on other bodies in KSP 1. I tended to make Minmus main base into an shipyard with it. 

On 1/17/2023 at 1:48 PM, Master39 said:

I'd like this to be a component in the game but what's the point when time is not a factor? 

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I'd like this to be a component in the game but what's the point when time is not a factor? 

Keep in mind that:

1) I hope construction in colony isn't instantaneous.

2) even if it was I'd like to name and store my planes and them having a story.

Even without that it would allow the Devs to make the recovery by scrapping down to parts/resources not 100% encouraging actual reuse and refurbish and creating a gameplay loop.

1 hour ago, Master39 said:

Keep in mind that:

1) I hope construction in colony isn't instantaneous.

2) even if it was I'd like to name and store my planes and them having a story.

Even without that it would allow the Devs to make the recovery by scrapping down to parts/resources not 100% encouraging actual reuse and refurbish and creating a gameplay loop.

I feel like I need to see the devs idea of the games form of economy to make a judgement on this. Even if time isn't a factor maybe resources could play one. For instance, if a colony is made to specialize in a specific resource and that leaves it without the ability to produce certain parts of craft that land there this would become a useful mechanic.

That said, I get the idea of a ship developing lore and a history of its own and would like that as well even if it isn't gameplay affecting.