3/24 Discord AMA - Nate Simpson - SUBMIT QUESTIONS HERE

Dakota

What plan is in place to accomodate players who want to build rockets without stuctural engineering constraints (all the "no wobbly rockets" requests), and those players that enjoy the additional structural/mechanical engineering challenges?

In response to someone asking how the AMA will be held:

https://discord.com/channels/1039959585949237268/1039965578754007060/1087499419022278697

• it'll be through a Discord stage, so everyone will be able to listen in. we'll be taking notes on Nate's answers and will publish them as text afterwards as well

(this is from @Dakota btw) I'll be watching the server eagerly! Will be a fun watch :D

Hey Nate,

Of the features that have NOT been publicly released but only internally tested, which is your favorite and why?  Which have been the most challenging to develop?

Also, I saw several new parts in the EA trailer.  Can you confirm that every part we see in the trailers will be in the game?

I don't have any game questions, I just want to know what happened from the start of the project to the EA release.

That's the biggest thing a lot of us are wondering, but are unlikely to ever get an answer on.

On 3/18/2023 at 6:53 AM, gussi111 said:

1] Can we expect that at some point in the future, as new updates improve performance, computers that are below the minimum requirements will be able to run the game decently?

Dakota said this would be the case; very excited to see if I'll be able to run KSP2 someday!

Will Science be similar to KSP1 where you would just landing run some experiments and then leave for the next biome or will it be more focused on visiting specific sites on planets and moons for unique science and unique science blurbs that give you insight into the planets and moons of the planets your visiting?

A number of off topic posts have been split into a new thread, found here:

This thread is specifically for questions about the AMA, if you would like to discuss anything else, take it to another thread.   

I like the new SAS controls in surface velocity mode for up, down, north, and south. Are there any plans to expand on this to allow the player to dial in an arbitrary heading?

Are there any plans for persistent rotation in stock KSP2?

Edited by Ashandalar

Nate, a question for you - did you include an ability for celestials to have rotation axis that is not perpendicular to the orbital plane? It was a major pain in the behind in KSP1 because engine simply didn't support such concept, so for real solar system we had to "fake" this by artificially tilting ecliptic plane. I really hope we won't have to do the same in KSP2.

On 3/20/2023 at 3:32 PM, Stoup said:

it'll be through a Discord stage, so everyone will be able to listen in. we'll be taking notes on Nate's answers and will publish them as text afterwards as well

In the meantime, children and geriatric politicians have figured out how to livestream on YouTube and Twitch simultaneously...for FREE.  Platforms that might actually get an audience. I could figure it out, and I'm such a Luddite, I only have a cell phone because it was required for my job.

Q: What sort of ISRU system will be added eventually and how complex will it be? For example, if you were to want to refuel a ISV around a planet such as Jool, assumedly you'd harvest the gas giant for gas to refuel the vehicle - how would this work in KSP2

6 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

In the meantime, children and geriatric politicians have figured out how to livestream on YouTube and Twitch simultaneously...for FREE.  Platforms that might actually get an audience. I could figure it out, and I'm such a Luddite, I only have a cell phone because it was required for my job.

I just checked and the Intercept discord has over 41,000 members with over 9,000 online right now. That's a pretty big audience! 

45 minutes ago, Periple said:

I just checked and the Intercept discord has over 41,000 members with over 9,000 online right now. That's a pretty big audience! 

The reddit has 1.5 million members.  I'd be surprised if this forum has less than 100,000. 

Edited by RocketRockington

1.why procedural tanks were not implemented into the game or they going to implemented in the future? procedural wings are a thing, so i cant see the reason why not

2. on multiplayer, it seems that its going to be limited for few players, any chances that in the future this number grows for a MMO style experience or that out of question?

3. with ksp 2 there always this promise of make the game accessible, but the requirements put the game out of reach for most people, so i want to know how much optimization right now the dev team thinks they can squeeze, and how much you think would you be happy with 2x,4x,8x,etc to make the game accessible for most people? 

4. I want to know if with the colony system there would be the possibility to create truly cities and infrastructure for planets? im talking planet wide roads networks or cities kilometers across, not only outposts

Not a question but:

Please PLEASE for god's sake, don't combine part thermal mass with resource thermal mass. (if it's implemented at all)

Resource thermodynamics  should be separate from part thermodynamics with heat transferring between each other. Vitally important for boiloff mechanics, whether it's because you choose to implement boiloff or to allow mods to properly an realistically implement boiloff mechanics.

That's been a pet peeve of mine ever since KSP1 implemented resource  thermal mass.

Edited by Starwaster