What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Christmas Eve KSP Marathon!! Today our intrepid heroes designed, launched and assembled the parts of the first Moon Station. The station would be the Kerbal's base of operations for exploring the moon and collecting Science. When the first crew arrived and tried to fire up the research lab they discovered the solar array didn't provide sufficient power to recharge the batteries after each night cycle. A new array was designed and launched along with extra lander fuel.

Full Album here: https://imgur.com/a/7qphY

First crew arrives at newly built station. All the power is generated from the singe large solar array.

CaptgW8.png

New solar array arrives on the nose of the fuel tug. Since there are only two docking ports, the lander is temporarily parked about 100m away from the station.

Spoiler

6nFoLkh.png

After dropping off fuel the tug backs away leaving the new solar array attached.

Spoiler

hdxpmjD.png

Lander re-docks and the new solar array is deployed. Moon Station 1 is in business!!

C8bqn1J.png

Edited by Tyko

17 hours ago, FrostedShoe said:

Forgot to add a heat shield or engines that work well enough in an atmosphere to my Duna lander. Luckily it didn't burn up so it was in one perfectly functioning piece when it hit the ground at 1km/s. Was even going too fast to deploy the chutes (the only thing I remembered to put on) so I don't know if they would actually work.

My experience is that Duna's atmosphere is so thin and cool that atmospheric compression heating is almost a non-issue.  You would have to do a really deep aerobreaking dive from interplanetary velocities with really delicate parts for that to be a factor.  

Howdy y'all. Merry Christmas, Happy Yuletide, Seasons Greetings, and a belated okayish Festivus for the rest of y'all. If you're not covered, my apologies.

I've had a slow but productive past week in my KSP save. After last week's shenanigans with craft arriving at Duna both conventionally and via Alcubierre drive, I did a quick situation report of my ships and bases and double-checked what all I wanted to take with me on MSV Fat Man's next trip out to Duna. I already had launched the newly designed Old Bessie 7a heavy fuel hauler and Spamcan 7c heavy passenger lander to take to Duna and determined that I also wanted to haul another Hellhound 7 rover out there for a new Ike contract, a Jiffy Lube parts module to refit the rover Malaise at the Enchova Central refinery already on the Dunan surface, and a craft specifically to haul back from an orbit from Ike (anticipating that contract from experience over Duna). I had time to launch the Jiffy Lube and rover on the 16th, and then last Sunday I sent up tourists Sambur and Johnburry to the Kerbinport space station aboard an Auk II 8-passenger spaceplane; the craft was larger than necessary but I also had a contract to expand the station by that many seats. The two tourists were only headed to LKO, so they were dropped off at the station, the plane was refueled and then set to rendezvous with Fat Man. Similar burns were set up for the rover, Old Bessie, Spamcan and Jiffy Lube, and also for Necessary Evil, which undocked from Kerbinport unmanned.

sF2SqDZ.png
Jiffy Lube arriving at Fat Man (upper left), with Auk II (upper) and the Spamcan's transfer stage (lower right). The Hellhound rover and Spamcan had already docked by this point.

Each craft arrived closely one after another; handling the rendezvous burns was more than a little bit interesting, and getting the Auk docked to Fat Man proved to be more than a little bit interesting (requiring no less than five attempts), but ultimately all six craft docked successfully.

wimJzBy.png
Fat Man with all of her consist finally docked up and ready to warp to Duna. 

Fat Man was then warped into a 1.7 GM orbit over Kerbol, reaching final position for the warp to Duna nineteen days later and arriving successfully in a 400 kilometer orbit over the reddish planet shortly thereafter. The only item of note in the interim was the return of Sambur and Johnburry to KSC 09 via an Auk Ia 2-passenger spaceplane. Upon arrival and plane alignment with the Dunaport space station, Fat Man's consist was unpacked, with the Spamcan and Old Bessie burning for a rendezvous with the space station and the Jiffy Lube sent to land at Enchova Central, landing safely twenty meters from the refinery. An old model Spamcan and Old Bessie were sent up from Dunaport to Fat Man. A Faux News module carrying engineer Eriemy Kerman was also undocked from the station and picked up by Next Objective, which delivered the module to Fat Man for final later delivery to Ike. By the end of the day on Monday, all craft had arrived at their respective destinations.

qcP46lJ.png
Dunaport with new craft docked - the Spamcan 7c is docked upper left, while the Old Bessie 7a is docked to the station's reserve fuel tank. 

Tuesday was the big day - pilot Didrin Kerman had to retrieve engineers Magster and Suus Kerman from Fat Man using Necessary Evil, delivering the two engineers to Dunaport. The two engineers along with pilots Nelny and Lazor Kerman were transferred to the newly delivered Spamcan, undocked from the station and landed within winching range of Enchova Central. As the senior pilot present, Nelny was given the honor of being the first Kerbal to walk the Dunan surface.

pLD6OAs.png
That's one small step for a Kerbal, and...

Of course, he blew it...

9eqqGWN.png
......uh, never mind.

All four Kerbals planted flags, with Nelny and Lazor returning to the Spamcan while Magster and Suus began the refit of Malaise. The refit took quite some time to complete, but ultimately the conversion process was successfully completed.

2gpdaCi.png
Malaise crane conversion complete, with the Spamcan (left) and Enchova Central refinery with Jiffy Lube module attached (right). 

The rover was then driven over to the Heartbreak Hotel outpost module, which had ran out of gas and tipped over on landing (the reason why the rover's refit was required). The mission to right the module ultimately failed, unfortunately; I had failed to consider all the difficulties involved in using a thirteen tonne crane rover to lift a twenty-two tonne outpost module. I have yet to make another attempt to move the module, but intend to do so at the next opportunity. In the meantime, Nelny's walk cleared the remaining Explore Duna contracts - I picked up the first Ike exploration contract, to orbit and return a craft from orbit. Ike-bound craft had their burns planned, with a Boop-Boop probe put into orbit for contract (also fulfilling the first 'Orbit Ike' contract). Two more parts test contracts were cleared on Tuesday.  

Fat Man warped to Ike on Tuesday, and upon arriving in a 320 kilometer orbit Eriemy began construction of the six Ikecomm satellites stowed aboard her Faux News module. The Alpha, Beta and Gamma satellites were deployed successfully and the rest of Fat Man's Ike-bound consist was unpacked.

sADB0vn.png
Didn't I already do something like this already?

Fat Man then warped into a polar orbit, and after completing final construction, the Delta, Epsilon and Zeta satellite were also deployed.

PSbDCgl.png
Fat Man with the three communications satellites already deployed and nearly out of physics range.

I spent the short amount of time I had to play the game on Thursday placing the Ikecomm satellites and making final arrival burns for several Ike-bound craft from the First Duna Expedition, with a Spamcan 7b and Heartbreak Hotel module making orbit by the end of the day. Fat Man also returned to an equatorial orbit over Duna that day. I will complete the construction of the final Dunacomm satellites in equatorial orbit over Duna, have Next Objective undock from Fat Man with Eriemy aboard and return to Dunaport, then have Fat Man warp into polar orbit to deploy the remaining satellites before returning to Kerbin. I've still got three craft from the First Duna Expedition inbound - a Hellhound rover, Strange Cargo and the Ikeport space station. I'm considering going ahead and skipping ahead to the arrival of those craft, but if I can advance the Ike exploration contracts before they get there, so much the better. The last Duna to Kerbin warp only took nine days to complete, so I think there's time to do everything I'd need to do there before Jeb and company arrive.

Of course, I've got to find time to play the game - haven't actually played since Thursday, and with good reason. Maybe I'll get back to the game later this week, but in the meantime, I plan on fully enjoying the Christmas holiday.

So I'll close this how I began it - Merry Christmas, y'all.

Edited by capi3101
hit the post button too soon; needed to finish adding the screenies...

Hi everyone, this is my first post!!!!

I bought KSP earlier and I completed two missions in my sandbox save that are based on NASA's Mercury programme- Moho 1 and Moho 2. I'm basing my space programme on NASA's right from the start, so I'll eventually do some Apollo-style missions, which should be fun if i can pull them off.

I thought this would be a good thread to put a post for the first time as people are on here a lot and I hope that I'll meet some new people. Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

(Side question: how do I post images? I'd like to show rather than tell you guys what I've been up to.) 

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

(Side question: how do I post images? I'd like to show rather than tell you guys what I've been up to.) 

Welcome to the addiction forums.

The forums themselves don't support images, unfortunately, so every image you see here is linked in from an external image sharing site. A lot of us (myself included) use imgur; there are a few others.

32 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

The forums themselves don't support images, unfortunately, so every image you see here is linked in from an external image sharing site. A lot of us (myself included) use imgur; there are a few others.

I personally use Discord.

parrot.gif

Edited by DeltaDizzy

a4sfJP8.png

I've been working on a little movie for the past few days, and this Stanford Torus is part of it. Unfortunately, it tends to explode, and when it does not, even as a single welded part, it spins itself and tends to get... Rearranged so to speak.

HjV7JTK.png

Additionally, I finally released the fusion ship I designed. In the distance are a pair of O'Neill cylinders I have made for the same project as the Torus.

15 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Thanks :):) Though it would be even better if you could post pictures directly on the forum. 

Testing out a Duna lander in the style of the Lunar landing module:

LqJR0gj.jpg

With chutes it takes very little to safely land on Duna - less than 400 dv, some landings half that. 

A two stage lander creates an interesting design issue that I haven't figured out how to get around yet:

2HVXKiI.jpg

Launching using the ascent stage causes a big fireball as the staging decoupler explodes... but wait:

JSNyK6A.jpg

The lander is still intact... although someone who was in a hurry to take pictures forgot to raise the ladder, d'oh.

It's all good, made it to orbit.

gYK9MLh.jpg

Welp, I got four of the little green dudes stranded in an elliptical orbit between Kerbin and Eve after I completely underestimated the necessary delta-v for a trip to Moho. So I had to build an even larger ship to send extra fuel up there so they can get back home. Good thing they had hibernation pods installed before they left.

Here they're zooming past Moho at 6 km/s with about 2 km/s delta-v left:

gO5fd4z.jpg

There was a small landing craft and LFO tank that I had to ditch after draining them of fuel in a desperate attempt to gain some extra delta-v:

CtjeCgu.jpg

Launching the "small" rescue craft:

RLqMBYs.jpg

Rendesvouz with the ship containing 4 extremely bored Kerbals:

UKZdV7G.jpg

Finally back in Kerbin orbit after being stranded in space for 5 years, poor little guys:

zxdpK7J.jpg

Finally back on Kerbin soil, they don't seem very happy with their trip:

FxIssXl.jpg

Edited by Mjarf