What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

9 hours ago, DiamondExcavater said:

What mods are you using? extra planatery launch pads looks different, and the flumes are amazing

I'm using several of the Wild Blue industries mods.

• Pathfinder for the base and launchpad. The launchpad and some base parts gain EL features.
  • Buffalo, the rover mod, for the probe bodies. Included with Pathfinder.
  • DSEV for station parts and the majority of the probe control craft, and the orange tank in the probe launcher.

The plumes are custom. I didn't make them bug I rigged them myself. My mod, Thor Tech, changes the plumes for the stock aerospike and the RAPIER (and gives the aerospike what it's been missing forever, greater Isp and gimbal). Better pics of it here: 

26 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

How the actual kraken is your computer not a melted mess of plastic and metal...

Even bigger question: How am I able to play KSP at all on my PC? It has a CPU from, like, 1998!

3 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

WOW, now that has to be the most spectacular discombobulation ever.

Im guessing you had "no crash damage on", as i was expecting it to look more like this.

PF19v8g.png

The aftermath is in the spoiler.

Hide contents

9jHOM4g.png

That's a 170m long seaplane-tender exploding all at once after a collision with a piddly little fuel-tank (it's a really old pick).

Truly the Kerbal way.

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

a4n4NMf.png

As a result the performance changed as follows:

• Max climb rate changed from 2.9m/s to 6.5m/s.
  • Max forward speed changed from 29m/s to 71m/s.
  • Max flight time increased from 25 minutes to 45 minutes (flying at sea level, economy cruise).
  • Max range increased from 30km (island airfield) to 90km (flying at sea level, economy cruise).
  • Max range at full power: 140km (autopilot at 1 degree, steady climb).
  • Ceiling: 5800m.

How do you get more range on full power than economy cruise?

Fired up my old 1.2.2 RO/RP-0/RSS install after eight months.... to finish a bit of business before upgrading to 1.3.1.

It was something I should have done a long time ago, I even wrote a bit of a mission report of the endeavour and left it untouched for a long long time, shame on me.

But today, finally, I landed my first kerbals on Mars!!

tQp9zu9.png

Those of you familiar with RO/RP-0 know how hard that is. For those of you not familiar with RO/RP-0 - it's super hard :D Probably the most complex and difficult mission I've ever undertaken in KSP.

To be honest, I'm pretty proud of myself :rolleyes:

If you're interested in more details, and want to see how I prepared for the mission, here's the series of reports, which I promise to finish soon.

Michal.don

5 hours ago, Delay said:

No, Intel Core 2, apparently. With 2.13 GHz.

I played KSP for more than a year on a Core2Quad 2.7 GHz.  Even a Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz ought to give a tolerable play experience, if you have at least 4 GB RAM, a decent video card, and a willingness to turn down some graphic settings and adjust your physics step rate.  There is a certain "playing on a potato" vibe if you get any slower than that, though...

I finally unlocked all science nodes up to 90 points with no upgrades in my hard career save.  I have missed patched conics SOOOOO much.  Had enough cash to upgrade the launch pad, mission control & tracking station once my science was unlocked. 

Thanks to Barquetta Comm/science sat with a telescope in Mun polar orbit, sent back loads of sweet, sweet science:

FXkqnwo.png?2

Then I checked out some anomaly contracts that I just added.  I never knew the island control tower was climbable.

kjgFiST.png?2

Then Jeb got sent out into the desert to check out another one.  He's only a 1-star pilot, and apparently landing in the mountains was beyond his ability.  Just had to make a "quick" 3km trek through the desert to get to the temple.

fADP3p7.png?2

40jtCyH.png?2

After all that science & exploring, it was time to launch one of a pair of new Titan-1 MPVs (Multi-Purpose Vehicle) for a rendezvous & dock around Kerbin contract.  Didn't have time to finish that today, though.  But it was great getting back into 1.8m parts now that the 18 ton limit was gone.  This was a redesign of an old standby, with some new parts added in.  Both flew straight & true, so the first 4 Kerbonauts are all in orbit, waiting on the rendezvous maneuver.

YuC3AYh.png?2

I got sloppy. I launched three relay satellites to Eeloo on ASAP trajectories, they'll arrive in about 2 years. But when adding braces to between the booster stage and interplanetary transfer stage, I structed them in such a way that if the craft is under acceleration during the staging, the braces smash off the transfer stage's radiators. Of course I didn't discover this problem until all three were in holding orbits, but I managed to get the third one underway without busting the radiators. The other two will be fine. The load is split between 9 Nerv engines, so they won't overheat during the 10+ minute deceleration burns when they arrive at Eeloo orbit. And I have to say the smashings were fairly spectacular.

7g2wta6.png

So much debris.

hlbaXqS.png

This is what is supposed to happen. I had to throttle down the craft until the braces had drifted out of reach of the radiators.

96 meters, 96 meters......96.

i ferried four tourists to the mun in a hitchhikier capsule, on the return i crashed landed on a mountain, the craft tipped on its side, jeb gets out to plant a flag and the hitchiker starts rolling at 2ms, it rolled for 96 meters with jeb running behind it, was kind of funny but i dont think the tourists expected to get the dirty laundry experience free of charge.
eF4MJjw.png?1
we stopped on the black arrow.....

oh and i returned with 560 science, polar orbit of the mun + eva + almost every single biome = success. what should i spend it on? im thinking about the next fuel upgrade, or the claw, or the one that gives the biggest fairing.
lXePy6c.png

Edited by putnamto

Big thanks to @Mark Kerbin for showing his S-152 Flopper.  Inspired me to take a crack at a seaplane, too, but pure stock.

This is Mink.  400 kallons fuel capacity and can lift off water with a full load.  Mach 1.02 (KER) at 6,500 m drawing 0.14 kal/sec, which makes the range about 1,100km.

XCSEYBi.png

I have a real dilemma about Airplane Plus now.  Especially all those lovely prop engines!

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

Big thanks to @Mark Kerbin for showing his S-152 Flopper.  Inspired me to take a crack at a seaplane, too, but pure stock.

This is Mink.  400 kallons fuel capacity and can lift off water with a full load.  Mach 1.02 (KER) at 6,500 m drawing 0.14 kal/sec, which makes the range about 1,100km.

XCSEYBi.png

I have a real dilemma about Airplane Plus now.  Especially all those lovely prop engines!

Neat!

Now it’s your turn to put the craft file on kerbalx. :P

39 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Now it’s your turn to put the craft file on kerbalx

It's up!  Just click the KerbalX sticker in my signature.

(I haven't been able to run KSP with Airplane Plus in a 1.4 version yet, but just gave it a good try in order to fly your Flopper.  I'll spend more time on this on the weekend.)

Also, I installed Airplane Plus and built Mink (in 1.3.1) attempting to avoid the new parts but the small stubby nose and the wing connector I leaked in.  Ah yes, and the "short boom".  It looked really good.  I had to pull them out and now the tail-plane particularly looks kinda horrid.  But I'm pretty happy with the performance!

zJg7ods.png

Edited by Hotel26