What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

18 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

*some assembly required. 

Hey, any landing you can walk away from...<_<

Any landing you can walk crawl be stretchered away from.......

Anyway, in KSP today, I completed the 7 Moho missions. The first 3 were sub-orbital and went well (sorry, no screenshots today....... I was kind of concentrating) and then I did 4 more orbital missions, which were piloted by Valentina and four other kerbals that i forget the name of :rolleyes:

Then I started the Jebedi missions (hint: the 60s NASA Gemini programme but Kerbified). Jebedi 1 went into orbit and Bill Kerman did the first EVA. Soon after, Jeb also got outside. These were quite hairy at points, as I'm not experienced at EVAs. But I got everyone back inside and de-orbited. I tried to get their capsule as close to KSC as possible, and kind of failed, splashing down in the middle of the ocean east of KSC. I'll have to get better at that if I ever want to build a Shuttle...........

Oh hey! A pic of one of my suborbital Moho rockets.

https://imgur.com/Ohiih8L

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Well, I came back to KSP after a long, long time away. Last time I played was 0.9 something I think.

Anyway, I immediately went to building planes(Since I built nothing but planes back then anyway) and decided to see if I can remember how to build one of them, and my old tradition of flying to the north pole.

3GAqwQP.png

1AqGBBd.png

jxUWuVE.png

Man I gotta work on names for my planes.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

This is really handy for documenting missions.  I also always forget to button mash F1 when I'm doing something important.

Looks interesting. I'll take a look.

56 minutes ago, damonvv said:

tgz3MAU.gif

:cool:

EDIT: I have a question. There is a bar above the post editor saying 'your content will need to be approved by a moderator' and all of my posts seem to be hidden for ages. Why is this?

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Haven't done a lot the last couple of days. Engineer Eriemy Kerman busied herself on Christmas day with an EVA to complete construction of the final three Dunacomm satellites, using the remaining parts from two Faux News probe delivery modules docked to MSV Fat Man. Once she completed the work, Eriemy transferred to Next Objective also docked to Fat Man along with the few remaining usable spare parts. Next Objective then departed from Fat Man and made its way to the Dunaport space station, arriving later in the day. Fat Man warped into a polar orbit over Duna after Next Objective was out of physics range and released the probes.

eNGn3Vr.png
Fat Man Deploying Dunacomms Delta, Epsilon and Zeta

After dropping off the satellites, Fat Man maneuvered into a 1.64 Gm parking orbit over Kerbol in preparation for the return trip to Kerbin; she'll reach position for the final warp in about five days or so. I spent a lot of my remaining time on Christmas Day getting the Dunacomm and Ikecomm satellites into their final operational positions. The Scan Queen refinery also entered orbit over Ike, a recharge operation at the Enchova Central refinery on Duna took place, and I leveled up the twenty Kerbals at Dunaport using the station's lab. The final thing that happened Christmas day was the successful landing of the Spamcan 7c at Duna carrying scientists Bobkin, Paley, Stapon and Cordan Kerban at Enchova Central, with the four scientists planting flags.

Cordan somehow wound up with one of my wayward screwdrivers, so he was selected to help refinery engineer Magster Kerman with another attempt to right the nearby Heartbreak Hotel 7 outpost module, which had ran out of gas, tipped over and blew its engine at landing. The new plan involved using the engine from the Jiffy Lube 7 parts delivery module already hooked into the refinery and giving the module some fuel so it could fly itself over to the final position for hooking up to the station. After the two Kerbals maneuvered the engine onto the crane rover Malaise, the two drove over to the module and hooked up a winching cable to a KAS connector port installed on the craft's top end. A quad of spherical RCS tanks were also attached to the rover prior to the 700 meter drive to the module, the idea being to add some extra weight. The extra weight from the tanks and engine, along with the use of a connector port instead of an electromagnet, made the difference:

px01May.png
...and so did a lot of cursing.

The attempt was ultimately successful.

t54t94d.png
A 'Hallelujah' moment, which occurred shortly after an 'oh crap' moment when the winch cable got too short and the module started to lift up the rover instead of the other way around...

UORgGmZ.png
Engine refit - successful.

Once the engine was fitted to the module and the rover's fuel transferred, Malaise backed off with the two Kerbals aboard. With 700 m/s of delta-V available, the module was easily able to take off and land within winching range. After returning to the refinery, Magster hooked up the module, the five Kerbals at Enchova Central punched their respective tickets at the refinery's lab, and then the four Kerbal scientists returned safely to Dunaport, transferring to Necessary Evil docked at the station. I have three more expeditions of Kerbals to land on the Dunan surface at the moment, and I'm debating as to whether or not I want to go ahead with a fuel run now or later. I probably should just for safety's sake...the station's pretty much out of reserve fuel at this point. It's just that I haven't landed the heavy Old Bessie fuel lander on Duna just yet...

5 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

That lander tipping over episode kind of reminds me of The Martian. You know, at the start (or in the middle in the book) when the Mars Ascent Vehicle is about to tip over.

Edited by RealKerbal3x
Removed the screenshots and writing in the quote

30 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

EDIT: I have a question. There is a bar above the post editor saying 'your content will need to be approved by a moderator' and all of my posts seem to be hidden for ages. Why is this?

Hello and welcome!

Due to the severe spamming we get on this forum, new users have to have their first few posts approved by moderators so we can get a chance to ban spammers before their spam appears. Unfortunately, a shortage of sober moderators over the holiday season has led to a few approvals being delayed.

I think this is the last post of yours that needed approval, and from now on your posts will appear immediately.

2 hours ago, softweir said:

Hello and welcome!

Due to the severe spamming we get on this forum, new users have to have their first few posts approved by moderators so we can get a chance to ban spammers before their spam appears. Unfortunately, a shortage of sober moderators over the holiday season has led to a few approvals being delayed.

I think this is the last post of yours that needed approval, and from now on your posts will appear immediately.

Oh, great, thanks! Though it seems sensible that the moderators check that any people new to the forum aren't spammers.

4 hours ago, Mignear said:

Well, I came back to KSP after a long, long time away. Last time I played was 0.9 something I think.

Anyway, I immediately went to building planes(Since I built nothing but planes back then anyway) and decided to see if I can remember how to build one of them, and my old tradition of flying to the north pole.

3GAqwQP.png

1AqGBBd.png

jxUWuVE.png

Man I gotta work on names for my planes.

I’m not that good either. My first plane was called Planey Plane Mk1.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

The program lost two astronauts yesterday on the lunar surface at approximately 09:30 KST...

During a tricky descent onto a hilly section of the Moon's Midlands the crew discovered their planned landing area was full of slopes in excess of 45 degrees. While attempting to divert to a different landing area the pilot, Wehrton Kerman, overestimated his craft's TWR. By the time he realized his mistake it was too late and the lander impacted with the lunar surface at ~50m/s. Both Wehrton and scientist Mac Kerman died on impact. KSC Director Tyko expressed his deepest sympathies to the families of the lost (assuming Kerbals have families and aren't hatched or something... :) )

Wehrton and Mac, you'll be missed:

oulms2F.pngGe44svc.jpg

During the after incident review I discovered this great NASA PDF explaining in detail how the descent trajectories of the Apollo LEMs were planned. It's a pretty cool piece of history and has some great insights. Maybe I should have read this first.

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/nasa58040.pdf

35 minutes ago, Tyko said:

The program lost two astronauts yesterday on the lunar surface at approximately 09:30 KST...

During a tricky descent onto a hilly section of the Moon's Midlands the crew discovered their planned landing area was full of slopes in excess of 45 degrees. While attempting to divert to a different landing area the pilot, Wehrton Kerman, overestimated his craft's TWR. By the time he realized his mistake it was too late and the lander impacted with the lunar surface at ~50m/s. Both Wehrton and scientist Mac Kerman died on impact. KSC Director Tyko expressed his deepest sympathies to the families of the lost (assuming Kerbals have families and aren't hatched or something... :) )

Wehrton and Mac, you'll be missed:

oulms2F.pngGe44svc.jpg

During the after incident review I discovered this great NASA PDF explaining in detail how the descent trajectories of the Apollo LEMs were planned. It's a pretty cool piece of history and has some great insights. Maybe I should have read this first.

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/nasa58040.pdf

:( We salute you Wehrton and Mac.....

Edited by RealKerbal3x
I wish there was a saluting kerbal emoticon

Today the Callisto Lander entered into its orbit around Callisto.

Although I managed to hit Callisto with a relative inclination of -0.1 degrees and at my apoapsis , I was not able to land.

aJk3V8f.jpg

Fine tuning my approach

2lxZsu4.jpg 

I wanted to use all of my fuel, so I had to time the stage separation very precisely

WB40KvB.jpg

At this moment I realized that I dont have enough fuel for a landing :mad:

0eQl9OV.jpg

Capture !

xhkVnEp.jpg

Low Callisto orbit, 64km x 70km

Well at least I can farm the science from every biome :P and a newer version of this vessel is on its way to Jupiter

5 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Haven't done a lot the last couple of days. Engineer Eriemy Kerman busied herself on Christmas day with an EVA to complete construction of the final three Dunacomm satellites, using the remaining parts from two Faux News probe delivery modules docked to MSV Fat Man. Once she completed the work, Eriemy transferred to Next Objective also docked to Fat Man along with the few remaining usable spare parts. Next Objective then departed from Fat Man and made its way to the Dunaport space station, arriving later in the day. Fat Man warped into a polar orbit over Duna after Next Objective was out of physics range and released the probes.

eNGn3Vr.png
Fat Man Deploying Dunacomms Delta, Epsilon and Zeta

After dropping off the satellites, Fat Man maneuvered into a 1.64 Gm parking orbit over Kerbol in preparation for the return trip to Kerbin; she'll reach position for the final warp in about five days or so. I spent a lot of my remaining time on Christmas Day getting the Dunacomm and Ikecomm satellites into their final operational positions. The Scan Queen refinery also entered orbit over Ike, a recharge operation at the Enchova Central refinery on Duna took place, and I leveled up the twenty Kerbals at Dunaport using the station's lab. The final thing that happened Christmas day was the successful landing of the Spamcan 7c at Duna carrying scientists Bobkin, Paley, Stapon and Cordan Kerban at Enchova Central, with the four scientists planting flags.

Cordan somehow wound up with one of my wayward screwdrivers, so he was selected to help refinery engineer Magster Kerman with another attempt to right the nearby Heartbreak Hotel 7 outpost module, which had ran out of gas, tipped over and blew its engine at landing. The new plan involved using the engine from the Jiffy Lube 7 parts delivery module already hooked into the refinery and giving the module some fuel so it could fly itself over to the final position for hooking up to the station. After the two Kerbals maneuvered the engine onto the crane rover Malaise, the two drove over to the module and hooked up a winching cable to a KAS connector port installed on the craft's top end. A quad of spherical RCS tanks were also attached to the rover prior to the 700 meter drive to the module, the idea being to add some extra weight. The extra weight from the tanks and engine, along with the use of a connector port instead of an electromagnet, made the difference:

px01May.png
...and so did a lot of cursing.

The attempt was ultimately successful.

t54t94d.png
A 'Hallelujah' moment, which occurred shortly after an 'oh crap' moment when the winch cable got too short and the module started to lift up the rover instead of the other way around...

UORgGmZ.png
Engine refit - successful.

Once the engine was fitted to the module and the rover's fuel transferred, Malaise backed off with the two Kerbals aboard. With 700 m/s of delta-V available, the module was easily able to take off and land within winching range. After returning to the refinery, Magster hooked up the module, the five Kerbals at Enchova Central punched their respective tickets at the refinery's lab, and then the four Kerbal scientists returned safely to Dunaport, transferring to Necessary Evil docked at the station. I have three more expeditions of Kerbals to land on the Dunan surface at the moment, and I'm debating as to whether or not I want to go ahead with a fuel run now or later. I probably should just for safety's sake...the station's pretty much out of reserve fuel at this point. It's just that I haven't landed the heavy Old Bessie fuel lander on Duna just yet...

I find it interesting that Mars, seems to be as jinxed as Duna is. About half the probes NASA has sent to mars has failed in some way, and in KSP I have actually had about the same luck. I guess it's because I tend to underestimate Duna, it seems so harmless with it's thin atmosphere and relatively low gravity. The thing is that the atmosphere is too thin for effective aerobraking and parachutes are almost dead weight, while the gravity is weak, but not as weak as on Mun or Minmus, so you pick up quite a bit of speed on the way down.

After a RUD of my laptop a week & a half ago, I've actually got it working except for a cracked screen.  It wasn't bad enough to prevent me loading up KSP & I just did a quick orbital tourist contract.  Amazing how much fun that was after not playing KSP for nearly two weeks.  I even brought them back in one piece this time. :D

Came back to KSP recently, in my third career game. Unlike the last two games, this time I'm determined to do the things I've never done, which is explore bodies outside of Kerbin SOI thoroughly, as my previous games would always wind down by the time I'd send my first trash can probes to Duna and Eve. This time I've set the science and money returns to 120% to make the game a bit less grindy and be able to get to the other planets a bit sooner. I'm determined to send a manned mission to Eeloo using TAC LS, which will involve sending stockpiles of supplies to the orbit of that planet before the actual crew.

Anyway, one other thing I've never done in my previous games is capture an asteroid. Thus, I picked up a contract to capture a Class A, built the Taker and.....failed miserably. I spent too much delta v trying to get the intercept at a Pe of 75 million meters, only to in the end realize that the Taker's puller design doesn't have the engines spaced far enough from the rock or wide enough from the center of the ship (really, I thought Class A's were smaller), thus stranding itself by having the engine exhaust hit back at the asteroid and nullify the thrust they produced.

T239Vcz.jpg

Using lessons learned, the Taker II design was born. Not only is it a pusher instead of a puller, it has much more delta v to begin with, and the whole design is built around having the engines as close as possible to the asteroid, in order to make it more controllable when its center of mass is imbalanced by the asteroid. Four Terriers instead of a Poodle also enable varied thrust via thrust limiters, in case of COM imbalance, however I never needed to resort to that in the end. The design performed splendidly and got back to LKO with fuel to spare for rendezvous with my soon-to-be-launched station. The arm holding the asteroid is detachable from the rest of the craft, and this unit has RCS and a probe core to be able to maneuver itself to a station docking port.

wOTCXUD.jpg

UfvUdFe.jpg

I will soon use the Taker II's forgivable design to build the Seizer, a much larger version of the same craft that will hopefully be able to capture a class E, which we'll outfit with parachute modules in LKO and bring back to KSC.

Edited by ROXunreal

After getting Atmospheric Autopilot (a fly-by-wire and cruise flight mod) I've been messing around with planes a bunch. My current favorite is the K-3X, a sub-sonic endurance aircraft for exploring Kerbin. Internal tanks give it about 5 hours of flight time at cruise, and drop tanks provide another 3 hours. Cruise speed and altitude is 220-250 m/s at 8 km and it's capable of circumnavigating Kerbin with about 2 hours worth of fuel remaining.

I think it's pretty!

Spoiler
LeIBXgM.jpg
6S3D1Vq.jpg
1DYlxYa.jpg
2ENhtCq.jpg
3IixmLM.jpg
SM964aJ.jpg
jtRwatd.jpg
0g9hrgH.jpg

Edited by BadOaks

Today I updated my basic Tie Fighter design on Kerbal-X.  The new craft file has better performance, more firepower, lower part count and an overall better design than the original.  You can download the new file HERE.  I also am working on several new tie and X-Wing variants (all craft are pure stock VTOL replicas).

New Tie Fighter

No automatic alt text available.

Resistance X-Wing

Tie Inquisitor

Z95-Headhunter

Image may contain: ocean, water, outdoor and nature

- Jett

Spent hours rescuing Kerbals I had sent on Science missions to Duna and the Sun with a mk2 SSTO that had only one Nerv for space (6 RAPIERS but all the oxidizer was used for the final push to orbit). I think a redesign is needed, it practically flies itself to orbit so I could probably swap out some RAPIERS for Nervs.