What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 0:54 AM, Kuansenhama said:

I tried to make a Kopernicus Planet.

BwPfyoJ.png

Keyword: Tried. I still can't figure out why the lighting is 90 degrees off from the planet. Much less anything else.

Oh, that's an easy fix! Just make the Normal map half transparent! :P

Heh... Second post, felt like reporting in what I've done for TODAY. Alright, so I pretty much got a Kerbal stuck in EVA in Eve Orbit (fitting for my profile picture). Sorry Sigler, I don't feel like sending a rescue ship. Though I have to say... That launch while the ship was spinning at max speed and ejecting Sigler into space, then leaving him there... That was cool. Now... What to do about Sigler... And his ship...

On 6-3-2016 at 1:54 AM, Kuansenhama said:

I tried to make a Kopernicus Planet.

BwPfyoJ.png

Keyword: Tried. I still can't figure out why the lighting is 90 degrees off from the planet. Much less anything else.

There are two ways to fix it:

- Set the transparency of the normal map to 50% (can be done using GIMP)

- Export the normal map as DXT5_nm (can be done with Photoshop or GIMP (I recommend GIMP because it's free and works just as good))

However, for issues with your Kopernicus masterpieces, I recommend asking for assitance on the main Kopernicus thread, I'm sure the Kopernicus experts like @Thomas P. and @KillAshley are more than happy to help.

Kopernicus thread:

4 hours ago, MatttheCzar said:

I struggled with PQSs to make Laythe green.  It paid off!

BtnRqI1.png

2neKd7m.png

Looks pretty good! How did you do this? Patch Laythe's LandControl mod, or added HeightColorMap? Because this looks amazing!

58 minutes ago, HorusKol said:

Jeb's getting fed up with tourist launches  - but they're raking the funds in...

Val has been busy sciencing out in space between Kerbin and Mun

Same.

Not much. Built a boat, did a Tourist contract, flew my T-38 style jet plane to the south pole and completed a Seismic research contract.

Didn't do much today (too much Master of Orion), tried to move the texture from the old Dark Reddish/black Interstellar radiators over the new, pure black ones and failed abysmally for over 2 more hours.

So I went to the modding part of the forum (where I never ever had any luck), and made a post requesting help.

Who knows, maybe this time someone can fix something for me... :P

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/133724-request-model-swapping-working-pivot/

[EDIT] 
With the help of @Randazzo providing a link with the missing pieces of the puzzle (to customize said Radiators to one's liking both in color and glow effect)  and the awesome original work performed by @zzz back in July 2013 (!), I was finally able to wrap the last part I needed to tweak and complete my 'Parts Repository' in prevision of KSP 1.1 (and here's to hoping it does not break all of them, lol).   A huge HUGE thank you to both of them, and to the Interstellar mod people for putting out a great mod from which I had the Idea of getting the radiator from.

I am one happy dude right now !

[EDIT #2]
Here's my completed personal Part's pack... Look below the picture for a Left-to-Right parts listing)

hoyqj22.png

Ke-111 Cockpit -- Lightable glassy cockpit for two.  You can't really ask for better (SXT)
Kn-2 Cabin -- Fell in love with that one back in December trying to reproduce the "Scott's Feather" craft. 3 Kerbals, great view again. 1,25m to boot ! ( Kerbonov Pack )
M27 Cockpit -- I call this one my Truck cabin.  First got this waaaaay back.  It was my first modded cockpit (great view, lightable, 2 Kerbal). Used on my Mün science rover. (B9 Aerospace)
FAT-460 Swept Aeroplane Main Wing -- A missing link between 2 stock wings. 300 LF in one wing and relatively light makes them useful on most flying rovers (SXT)
e50 Electric Rotor -- I had this once (I think) for my first Boom plane in 0.25.  Now I got it again, perfect for atmospheric worlds exploration, and with TweakScale it fits everything (SXT)
RCS Block RV-424 -- Named for my namesake's number, this takes the stock 4way RCS block, enlarge it by 100% and uses LFO mix instead.  Really potent, but the fuel really flows (240 ISP).
Kaliaguine Nuclear reactor -- Named after the RL friend (the Physics teacher) that convinced me to mod one using the stock powercell code.  Works really well on Uranium (RL stats too).
FMnT280 -- My all time love, my very first mod.  It's more than 4 times heavier than the regular LV-N, but thanks to THR/ISP performs equal to 4 of it's smaller cousins. Heat patched-in. (KommitNucleonics)
NIV-18 Curved solar panels --  Always good on rovers, and do not break with air (or Kerbal) friction. (NearFutureSolar)
TKS Solar Array -- A favorite medium solar panel of mine (COSMOS)
Balka Solar Panel (Single) -- Huge solar panels rated for 200 ec/sec around Kerbin.  Really fragile and certainly not rated for any atmospheres. I use it mostly for space station or motherships. (COSMOS)
Heat Radiator -- Man these took me forever to fix (about 3 days or 6 hours,see the beginning of this post), equal to the big stock radiators.  I just loved the look so it was worth the effort (Old Interstellar part)
Origami Antenna -- from the mod of the same name.  with RemoteTech I always make that one my big, badass antenna... This thing can send/receive from Eeloo, but is endgame tho.
LY-10 Small Landing Gear -- This is going away in 1.1 and is my favorite wheel of the game (with the rugged, electrical one).  So I moved it over in a folder, will have to be fixed comes 1.1 for sure.
Balka Solar Panel (double) -- Same as it's little brother, but 400 electric charge.  Fixing it's pivot and all bugs took a few hours (was broken because lack of updates). (COSMOS)

I forgot to put 2 parts on that exposition thingy :
 - the Trio solar array -- (1 part is 3 Gigantor's worth, but is very pretty) - NearFutureSolar
 - And the T95 Bear alike engine -- ("KA-TP12M "Bear" Turboprop" which I converted to LFO use instead of LF+atmospheric Oxygen). Great ISP/THR but limited altitude. (SXT).

All these parts had all their bugs / compatibility issues fixed (if any) and made roughly stand-alone so I do not need the full mod for a part or 2.
That being said, I'd like to thank any and everyone that made these parts for KSP, and that helped "restoring" them thru the updates.

Edited by Francois424
One happy dude, thanks guys !

Landed a bit rough on mun with a mining ship.

Ended up somewhat bellyflopped and a little bit exploded, and not enough gyro to stand up with.

Engineer + Power Screwdriver = Solution

Take things apart

KSP_Mun_crash_disassembly.png

Put 'em back together.  Some may call it ugly, but if it gets a Kerbal home alive, it is pretty.KSP_Mun_crash_reassembly.png

In this case, he's not going home, he's going to continue the mission and refuel the space station and upgrade the mun-minmus polar comms link.

Not to be outdone by Triop and his, admittedly, great looking planes......

screenshot54_1.png

My version of a Northrop T-38. Not quite the shape of one, but it's inspired by that plane.
Twin modified J-20 Juno engines (60 kN each), Mach 2.1 top speed, goes 2200 km's on 350 units of fuel.
Weighs in at a measly 4.9 tonnes.

YAY! Here's a personal first. After many months of failing hardcore over and over again, and "going back to the drawing board" I finally got a working SSTO spaceplane design:

wLQGdft.png

Basically I'd been trying to design my spaceplanes all backwards. The thing I finally figured out is that once you launch and have the apoapsis where you want it, you've got about two minutes to finalize orbit or you end up with an SSTC design instead. High-efficiency engines don't cut the mustard.

The configuration is 6 Whiplash engines for atmosphere, and a Poodle with the Rockomax 1440 tank for orbit. And the big tailfins for wings in order to get the Imperial markings. :cool:

1 hour ago, Draconiator said:

81f93cb60bba3e922c524227f4a60dfe.png

Refueling on Minmus before I head to Duna.  Probably will NOT refuel like this again though, it takes WAAAAY too long....

Thats...a lot of RCS thrusters and reaction wheels. Why so many?

RCS is more effective when placed at the extremities - the closer to the center of gravity you put them, the more it's like trying to drive a car by grasping the center of the steering wheel.

-Jn-

10 hours ago, GeneralVeers said:

wLQGdft.png

Grats on a lovely spaceplane!  Looking at the engine configurations, I would estimate that this is one of the "aggressive ascent" types.  Those six Whiplashes will produce almost too much thrust for the lower atmosphere, so you would have to get up quickly before the spaceplane self-incinerates.  The Poodle seems like just the right balance of weight, size, thrust, and efficiency for this kind of design, so that seems like a good choice.  Though looking at its fuel tank, it does make me wonder, do you have a "lip" between that tank and the passenger compartments?  Because that might introduce some unwanted drag.  There should be a Mk2 to 2.5m fuel-bearing adapter that ought to fit there and make it a little more aerodynamic without other major structural changes.  

Edited by Fearless Son

14 hours ago, MatttheCzar said:

Yeah.  I tried to adapt the old texture, but it didnt work out.  Now, think less Duna, more Dune.

If that truly was Dune, there would be no surface liquids.  Shai Hulud would not tolerate them.  The sandtrout will find them, and the Little Makers will encyst them.