[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

20 hours ago, KimTheKerman said:

I seem to be having a problem.
I am running 2 modules of the Scansat, both state their best orbit height is 70km, I am in a polar orbit around kerbin.
One side gets scanned nice and neatly, but as I swing over to the opposite side, the "hi-Res" and "Multi-Spec" indicators goes from green, to orange, and no scanning on the maps are done.
Specifically the South Pole is not being scanned, eventhough I am flying over it cleanly just as I am with the North Pole.

The orbit is in a 72km Apo and 72km Peri

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm about to post a feature request for this.  What you are encountering is no visible light.  Those sensors only work when visible light is in the FOV.

See next post.

DMagic,  I am loving this new update.  Seems stable and after figuring out all the little things I needed to do to get my old models and scanning back its great.

One feature request, related to the above poster, which I also have the same effect.

Scanner not working while not in visible light.

I get the concept and it makes sense, but it certainly adds to the difficulty.

In my instance I have a Visual satellite scanning the Mun.  Its nearly complete except for slivers of unscanned streaks from north to south pole.

Its because the body goes dark from lack of sunlight when the scan happens.  Eventually I suspect it will all be done as the randomness and inaccuracy of the orbit should shift the satellite over when the next time a chance to scan those slivers comes up.

Screenshot of what I am talking about  ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgnp2qc26ejonhd/SliverScanMun.png?dl=0

The feature request, add a new capability or a new part, Hi Power IR Imager.  Basically a really really powerful infrared flashlight that will augment the Visual parts inability to scan in the dark.

If possible, when that IR is in use and the field in front of the Scanner is in the dark, show in the map as a less than perfect or colored representation of what the normal scan would be instead of a blank sliver.

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, SkiRich said:

I get the concept and it makes sense, but it certainly adds to the difficulty.

In my instance I have a Visual satellite scanning the Mun.  Its nearly complete except for slivers of unscanned streaks from north to south pole.

Its because the body goes dark from lack of sunlight when the scan happens.  Eventually I suspect it will all be done as the randomness and inaccuracy of the orbit should shift the satellite over when the next time a chance to scan those slivers comes up.

Screenshot of what I am talking about  ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgnp2qc26ejonhd/SliverScanMun.png?dl=0

The feature request, add a new capability or a new part, Hi Power IR Imager.  Basically a really really powerful infrared flashlight that will augment the Visual parts inability to scan in the dark.

I understand the frustration, but it all it really does is extend the mapping time (tidally locked moons will be a pain) and forces you to be more clever in how you choose an orbit.  My initial gripe, when this capability first appeared, was that the sensor was still consuming full power, even when it couldn't map anything, which meant I still had to have plenty of batteries to get through orbital darkness.

Regarding a new imager that doesn't require daylight, I'll leave this food for thought:

1) An illumination system - near-infrared, UV, or visible - that lights up the ground from orbit would likely be insanely large and powerful.  Read up on proposals by Krafft A. Ehricke for what were essentially orbital heliostats (https://www.nytimes.com/1977/02/06/archives/huge-space-mirrors-proposed-to-light-the-night.html).

2) A more realistic approach is probably a space-based sensor that operates in the thermal infrared bands, longwave infrared being a good one if you want to go hyperspectral.  Thermal infrared is emitted light, not reflected, so it can work in the dark.  One drawback is your sensor pixels will be noticeably bigger than your average visible light pixel, and your optics size would scale up proportionately (and your mass even more so),  assuming you want the same resolution and field of view in your image.  The really sensitive thermal imagers are also cooled to cryogenic temperatures, which would translate to increased power consumption (some of the ones pointing outside the solar system are cooled with liquid Helium (ex., Spitzer), but no need to get crazy here).

EDIT: Regarding extended mapping time, I haven't looked at a worst-case body rotation period, and how long the generated contracts run.  Something to maybe look into....

Edited by KSPrynk

1 hour ago, KSPrynk said:

I understand the frustration, but it all it really does is extend the mapping time (tidally locked moons will be a pain) and forces you to be more clever in how you choose an orbit. 

Are there any tidally locked moons in KSP?

I'd assume after a standard 90 degree inclination run shifting the orbit inclination to 100 or 80 (or more) for while might solve that.  But even so, a tidally locked moon should still have a fully lit "dark side" at least once per orbit of the host planet.

Hi im not speak in english good, but the traduction of this mod in spanish is bad, i can traslation this mod and have in my computer, If you want I can pass the file to you so you can correct it.

Hola, no hablo bien en inglés, pero la traducción de este mod en español es mala, puedo traducir este mod y tenerlo en mi computadora. Si lo desea, puedo pasarle el archivo para que pueda corregirlo.

@KSPrynk A simpler solution is just to edit the config of the higher tech versions of the multispectral and hi-res resource scanners so that they don't require the surface to be in daylight.

2 hours ago, SkiRich said:

Are there any tidally locked moons in KSP?

Isn't the Mun tidally locked?

@Pabliski11 Any corrections or improvements to the translations are welcome. The best way to handle is to make a pull request for the files on GitHub. Just messaging with a set of corrected files would also work.

Hi there!

I really enjoy this mod! Being able to send up a satellite and watching the mapping happening in real time was very satisfying. And after playing for a while you can upgrade your scanners (that gives better resolution). But it seems that the VS-11 has the same resolution as the VS-3. Is this intentional or is it on my end? I had high hopes to be able to zoom in on the spacestation and wave to the camera.

Thank you for your mod in any case.

Love the DMagic addon. I do have a small issue though after the latest upgrades and I expect it is something I am doing wrong

KSP version is 1.9.1.2788

the SCANsat is 1.1.20

I have accepted a low resolution scan for Kebin

I have installed on the satellite the R-EO-I and the MS1 multispectral scanner

it is in a near polar orbit at 80km

but it does not complete. Do you need the logs or something else supplied?

I am at a loss in how to complete this, and therefore other contracts, in the future

8 minutes ago, IanCanberra said:

I have installed on the satellite the R-EO-I and the MS1 multispectral scanner

it is in a near polar orbit at 80km

but it does not complete. Do you need the logs or something else supplied?

Scansat works differently than stock scanning. Scans happen over time instead of instantly like in stock. Each scanner part has different characteristics which affect the orbit you’ll need to use to scan a body efficiently:

1. Minimum and maximum altitude. Scans only happen while your satellite is above the minimum altitude and below the maximum altitude.

2. Field of View (FOV) is the angle of the scan beam. A larger field of view scans more ground in each pass.

3. The type of scan. Optical scanners only work when the surface is lit.

Scansat comes with an excellent guide in the KSPedia. It’ll show you how to scan efficiently 

Some feedback:

I'm getting an error in the logs and I think it causes my game to just plain old halt and terminate.  Not even a graceful crash.

The error says it cannot find a directory and sure enough the directory is missing.

Version of scansat v20.1

Game is 1.9.1

I created the directory and the settings.cfg file was created on the next boot of the game.

You may want to put in a routine to buiild the dir structure if its missing.

Message repeats quite a bit. But below is the text.

[LOG 03:10:59.552] [SCANsat] Error while saving settings file from [E:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64_Data/../GameData/SCANsat/PluginData/Settings.cfg]
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SCANsat\PluginData\Settings.cfg".
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x00164] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)
  at System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName, System.String header) [0x00000] in <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0
  at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName) [0x00000] in <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0
  at SCANsat.SCAN_Settings_Config.Save () [0x00020] in <9cf62b26bd1745c8ac93bcaa7703d75d>:0 

5 hours ago, IanCanberra said:

...after 1 week in orbit the scan % would be above 0%...

It took me a while after first installing the mod to realise that you have to select the part and "start scan" in order for anything to happen.  Just a thought! (you don't have to admit to being a klutz like me...)

Looking at the MS-1 Multispectral Scanner under Scan I see SCAN  Status: All Scanning Disabled

However I have comms to KSP, over 500 Electrical charge units and in daylight

The Stop scan: Multispectral is available as is the Analyze Data:

Still nothing after 4 days game time

I am doing something wrong I am sure

2 hours ago, IanCanberra said:

Looking at the MS-1 Multispectral Scanner under Scan I see SCAN  Status: All Scanning Disabled

However I have comms to KSP, over 500 Electrical charge units and in daylight

The Stop scan: Multispectral is available as is the Analyze Data:

Still nothing after 4 days game time

I am doing something wrong I am sure

Check the settings tab of the ScanSat map.  See if overall scanning is truely disabled.

Hello @DMagic

2omOvgK.png

I also have this problem I don't know why but these parts now are disabled... :(

[1] I digged  a bit in files and found that in :

MULTI.cfg

• name            = SCANsat_Scanner24
  • (...)
  • TechRequired        = Unresearcheable

This explains all...

[2] It seams that was this commit that hide the old parts: (which means that this was done release 20.1):

https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/commit/01f8e5e56db766fab2af17b4b775cf3a1798dc42

So the SCAN release 18.14, is ok.

[3] I am wondering now, how this mod is usable now :) ?

There is any video explaining this so deep changes?

Most of my spaceships use these ones (also on image), cant use all of them, what are the new upgrades/replacements for them now?:

• SCANsat.Scanner
  • SCANsat.Scanner24

I will downgrade my installation to release 18.14 until I understand how this new version for 1.9.1 works :)

Thank you.

Edited by pmborg

On 6/25/2020 at 1:20 PM, IanCanberra said:

What do you see when you look at the R-EO-1?  What you are describing for the Multispec sounds as though the scanning for that might have been entirely completed - you won't see a %  progress as you don't have the contract for the Biome scan, and unless you have changed map type in the ScanSat GUI you might still be looking at an empty elevation map instead of a completed biome map?  Perhaps the R-EO-1 still needs a "Start Scan"?

How do the low and high res versions of the same scan interact for contract purposes?

For example, if I accept a low res contract, then take the the high res contract while waiting for the launch window, when I send my probe does the high scanner suffice to get the low quality data or do I need 2 scanners?

(If I need 2 scanners, then that introduces an issue with the SCANsat map interface. Let's say I've done a 60% low scan of a planet before the satellite is ruined by an accidental moon encounter. I launch a new craft with only the high scanner and complete 100% high. I'd be stuck with 40% low incomplete but can't see where it is on the map because the high scan data color overwrites the low scan color.)

On 6/27/2020 at 1:36 AM, eatU4myT said:

What do you see when you look at the R-EO-1?  What you are describing for the Multispec sounds as though the scanning for that might have been entirely completed - you won't see a %  progress as you don't have the contract for the Biome scan, and unless you have changed map type in the ScanSat GUI you might still be looking at an empty elevation map instead of a completed biome map?  Perhaps the R-EO-1 still needs a "Start Scan"?

I see the same. Disabled scanning. I see the same in the VAB as well for the Dmagic scanners. Have put up a satellite with SAR-X, VS-3 Advanced high resolution, SAR-C and MS-R MultiSpectral. I have installed over 4000 units of power and large solar panels Still showing Disabled for all of the scanners and no results after 3 days.

For people with scanning disabled:

W6HQg27.png

The only way that message should be displayed is for the background scanning to have been turned off. Go to the settings menu and turn it back on.

@DeadJohn For that specific instance the best way to measure the scan percentage of the lo resolution altimetry scan would be to open the main map, only activate the lo res scanner, then look at the percentage shown there:

Jr5l6NG.png

Any decent orbit of the planet will eventually generate enough of the scan to complete the contract.

Edited by DMagic

@DMagic,

Got the following error in a game which had Scansat upgraded:

[SCANsat] Error while saving settings file from [R:/KSP_1.9.1_Tetrix/KSP_x64_Data/../GameData/SCANsat/PluginData/Settings.cfg]
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "R:\KSP_1.9.1_Tetrix\GameData\SCANsat\PluginData\Settings.cfg".
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x00164] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)
  at System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName, System.String header) [0x00000] in <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0 
  at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName) [0x00000] in <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0 
  at SCANsat.SCAN_Settings_Config.Save () [0x00020] in <9cf62b26bd1745c8ac93bcaa7703d75d>:0 

I checked, and there was not a PluginData folder.  The error happened multiple times.

I'm guessing this may be a result of the upgrade, not sure.  But you may want to add a check for the folder's existence, and create it if not there

I don't know if this has been covered before. I have tried searching but I couldnt find anything that helped.

Im on ksp 1.8.1 with Scansat 18.14 and MKS 1.3. Amongst MANY others.

Ive done full scans with all 3 scansat parts, but nothing with the btdt scanner. I have the stock surface scanner on my rover below. I have also got a m700 in orbit.

For the resources on the big map and the planet overlay, I cant see the MKS specific resources.  I can see some, I have Ore, Alumina, Mopedantte,blutonium, explodium etc. Which I believe are coming from part of the Wildblue line, and the scansat ones; biome, terrain, are fine.

For the resouce scan settings, I have biome lock on, the other 3 are ticked off (require narrowband, disable stock and instant scan). 

Is there something else I need to do. That Ive missed?

Many thanks