[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

Any suggestions on how to do the waypoint missions on various surfaces?

I have sent a rover to Mun and even at 15m/s (which is probably very dangerous) mechjeb reports the journey as 2 days (10 hours?) of game time. Even at double speed thats a whole afternoon in RL driving around hoping the rover doesnt flip :)

After 2 waypoints i got bored.

Should i be making an RCS hover rover instead to get around quicker?

I did the waypoint mission on Minmus with a rover powered by four little orange radial engines, so it could make sub-orbital hops. That wouldn't work quite so well on the Mun though as the higher gravity means you'd run out of fuel much faster.

Nice. I don't have the time to give career mode the attention needed to do it justice right now, but one I do, you can bet I'll be using this.

Now is the time to start throwing module names of power systems/antennae/docking ports/wheels from your favorite mods if you want them detected. Module names, not part names.

I will be using Near Future too, and I believe the only modules you need to detect to support it are FissionGenerator and ModuleCurvedSolarPanel (both for power systems) - everything else that's relevant uses stock modules, as far as I can tell from digging around the mod's files.

Any suggestions on how to do the waypoint missions on various surfaces?

I have sent a rover to Mun and even at 15m/s (which is probably very dangerous) mechjeb reports the journey as 2 days (10 hours?) of game time. Even at double speed thats a whole afternoon in RL driving around hoping the rover doesnt flip :)

After 2 waypoints i got bored.

Should i be making an RCS hover rover instead to get around quicker?

just to put it into perspective. Oppertunity just broke the rover record by travelling 40 km's

the most effective route between the waypoints i could plot ended up in a 298 km route.

Now i know we travel quite a bit faster than opertunity does and the kerbin system is a sandboxy version of our solar system, but concider opertunity travels at a speed of 4km/earthyear.

Question: for "aerial survey missions on Kerbin", how close do I have to be to accomplish the mission? Within 1 km? 10 KM? 50 km?

Sidebar: i get very few aerial contracts. I get placement of satellites (those could be MCE) and Kerbal rescues, orbiting bases, planet side bases. A nice mixture.

Edited by Apollo13

I'm trying an asteroid recovery mission, but the "Have an asteroid in tow" part of the contract won't complete, even though I definitely didn't start tracking it until after accepting the contract.

I've quicksaved and quickloaded a few times during the mission, so I'm wondering if that's causing issues, as it did previously with rovers?

I have the same issue and have captured 2 asteroids now.

EDIt - I noticed that my mission to build an orbital base thinks I already have one orbiting, albeit without the necessary kerbals. Could it be registering the asteroid capture in the wrong contract?

Edited by Sarayakat

just to put it into perspective. Oppertunity just broke the rover record by travelling 40 km's

the most effective route between the waypoints i could plot ended up in a 298 km route.

Now i know we travel quite a bit faster than opertunity does and the kerbin system is a sandboxy version of our solar system, but concider opertunity travels at a speed of 4km/earthyear.

I agree, the current distance between waypoints can be ridiculous for rovers. Perhaps something like < 3000 meters for the entire trip (5 minutes of travel using the top speed of the slowest rover wheel).

Btw, is it possible for science contract be generated referencing existing "rovers"? Considering that real-life rover operation is more like "Land here, look around, find something interesting, drive there, study it, look around, repeat". Can a Contract be created as followed:

1. Pick an existing rover landed on a planet.

2. Plot new sets of way-point from said rover.

Perhaps even include the rover name in the Contract.

Love this mod, especially the rover and aerial survey missions. That said, I think they could use a bit of tweaking.

The distance between waypoints can be very, very large for the aerials, often spanning kerbin, and flying a spaceplane to all of these can take a very long time of very repetitive play. Once you do one, then it is just a matter of time before you reach the next, you know?

Maybe keep a few of the high altitude waypoints and place them slightly closer together, and then add another type of waypoint mission where they require a much, much lower elevation and are much closer together. This would require a different type of play, and some difficulty maneuvering a plane near the ground.

I have similar thoughts about the rover waypoints- they can take a looong time to reach. The real satisfaction with these missions is that I actually need a rover, but I dont think you need to place them quite so far apart.

As a last suggestion, it would be exceedingly cool of you could take terrain into account when generating contracts. I don't know exactly how unity or ksp work, but looking at scansat there is method to get terrain heighmaps. With those, it wouldnt be difficult to design an algorithm that finds 'interesting areas' to explore, and places waypoints accordingly.

For example, an edge finder operating over biome and/or height would find rugged terrain on the boundaries of biomes. Cool!

Would it be possible for a version to be made available where ground-based Kerbin contracts don't occur? For example, aerial Kerbin surveying, and Rover missions aren't generated, but orbital and station missions are

Would it be possible for a version to be made available where ground-based Kerbin contracts don't occur? For example, aerial Kerbin surveying, and Rover missions aren't generated, but orbital and station missions are

Just click the red-X button, and the mission will disappear. True, another might appear in the near future, though

I've tweaked the logic of several missions, but I am using Hyperedit and I'm putting them through the ringer now to make sure they function properly. I added a cupola request to the facility missions, and you can now click waypoints to set a navball reference on them.

Edited by Arsonide

The areal contracts are overtaking all other contracts now I have about 10 of them lol, even when you delete them new come up.

What he said. I wish there was a way you could enable or disable contracts by type. It sucks when you not interested in a certain type of contract and all but two offered are those. If it makes you feel better, your not the only mod having such a problem. I think there needs to be more contract 'pools' based on type or such. So there would be separate tabs for rover missions, aerial missions, space station or base missions...etc and players can just ignore or better yet disable what they are looking for.

What he said. I wish there was a way you could enable or disable contracts by type. It sucks when you not interested in a certain type of contract and all but two offered are those. If it makes you feel better, your not the only mod having such a problem. I think there needs to be more contract 'pools' based on type or such. So there would be separate tabs for rover missions, aerial missions, space station or base missions...etc and players can just ignore or better yet disable what they are looking for.

I've already fixed this issue, it will be in the patch I will be releasing later.

I've released version 0.51a on KerbalStuff. Here are the changes:

Added support for modded parts in some contracts, including:

Antennae from AntennaRange and RemoteTech.

Power Systems from from Interstellar, Modular/Orbital Kolonization, and Near Future.

Wheels from Firespitter, and landing gears now count as well.

Enhanced state tracking in many contracts, due to a bug in stock code, docking ports will no longer need to be open, just present, in station and base contracts. The mod support will also alleviate some confusion with the "Station Systems" objective. ARM contracts got a practical overhaul internally, as they were not functioning. Please keep me updated on if you are able to complete these contracts or not. I am in testing, but the more feedback the better. Also keep me updated if they complete for no reason, and when they do so.

No more than two contracts of any given type by Fine Print will appear on the contract board at any given time.

Aerial waypoints now appear in the same general area. It is still a decent range, but they will be in the same hemisphere. Aerial rewards reduced by 25% to compensate.

Rover waypoints now appear in much smaller areas, and there are less of them. To compensate I have doubled their rewards. Still looking for feedback on these.

You can now click on waypoints in the main map, this will cause a navigation icon to appear on your navball to assist you in completing your contracts. If you have a navigation waypoint set, you can click the same waypoint to disable it, or it will disable whenever you complete an objective at that waypoint.

Stations and bases will now occasionally request a cupola viewing port.

Slightly increased the rate at which exceptional station contracts will ask to be built into new asteroids.

Gave significant station contracts a very rare chance to ask to be built into new asteroids.

Slightly increased the rate at which exceptional base contracts will ask for a mobile base.

Gave significant base contracts a very rare chance to ask for a mobile base.

Aerial contracts should not appear until later in the technology tree, as I don't think Kerbals can flap two canards fast enough to make it to the south pole.

I'm trying an asteroid recovery mission, but the "Have an asteroid in tow" part of the contract won't complete, even though I definitely didn't start tracking it until after accepting the contract.

I've quicksaved and quickloaded a few times during the mission, so I'm wondering if that's causing issues, as it did previously with rovers?

I'm getting this problem too. The objective to get it into orbit is fufilled, just not the tow objective.

I've released version 0.51a on KerbalStuff. Here are the changes:

Added support for modded parts in some contracts, including:

Antennae from AntennaRange and RemoteTech.

Power Systems from from Interstellar, Modular/Orbital Kolonization, and Near Future.

Wheels from Firespitter, and landing gears now count as well.

Enhanced state tracking in many contracts, due to a bug in stock code, docking ports will no longer need to be open, just present, in station and base contracts. The mod support will also alleviate some confusion with the "Station Systems" objective. ARM contracts got a practical overhaul internally, as they were not functioning. Please keep me updated on if you are able to complete these contracts or not. I am in testing, but the more feedback the better. Also keep me updated if they complete for no reason, and when they do so.

No more than two contracts of any given type by Fine Print will appear on the contract board at any given time.

Aerial waypoints now appear in the same general area. It is still a decent range, but they will be in the same hemisphere. Aerial rewards reduced by 25% to compensate.

Rover waypoints now appear in much smaller areas, and there are less of them. To compensate I have doubled their rewards. Still looking for feedback on these.

You can now click on waypoints in the main map, this will cause a navigation icon to appear on your navball to assist you in completing your contracts. If you have a navigation waypoint set, you can click the same waypoint to disable it, or it will disable whenever you complete an objective at that waypoint.

Stations and bases will now occasionally request a cupola viewing port.

Slightly increased the rate at which exceptional station contracts will ask to be built into new asteroids.

Gave significant station contracts a very rare chance to ask to be built into new asteroids.

Slightly increased the rate at which exceptional base contracts will ask for a mobile base.

Gave significant base contracts a very rare chance to ask for a mobile base.

Aerial contracts should not appear until later in the technology tree, as I don't think Kerbals can flap two canards fast enough to make it to the south pole.

I approve :D

I'm getting this problem too. The objective to get it into orbit is fufilled, just not the tow objective.

This was fixed in 0.51a, go download! I was keeping track of asteroids by using their tracking time, but I guess that doesn't get updated, so now I keep track of them by their seeds. I tested it with Hyperedit thoroughly, swapped between vessels, jumped around to different scenes and objectives, it works.

What a visual. Ha!

It woudl be cool if we had waypoints appear on scansat map.

I can look into it, but I will say that while I will internally support other mods, I will not create dependencies on them.

I can look into it, but I will say that while I will internally support other mods, I will not create dependencies on them.

SCANSat will probably have to support you, not the other way around. I think he takes PRs, though.