All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I wanted to make a 3d printing thread! Anyways, here's a vid on a 3d-printed board game! Post your printer pics and ideas for others to print!
  3. It’s not. It’s smaller. Saturn V is about 1:110, and SLS is 1:160 I think.
  4. The issue with what happened to me here over the past couple weeks is that it wasn’t an opinionated matter we argued over, it was- 1. The definition of something 2. History of something The first time, the guy had a weird definition of something that sounded like something else, so I looked up the dictionary definition to see if I was right. It didn’t match up and I pointed that out. Then he continually changed his own definition until he accused me of not discussing in good faith. Second time, I made stupid statements about something in history. I honestly did not know I was wrong. In fact, other people in the discussion later politely pointed out the flaws in my statements and I accepted I was incorrect and retracted my statement. But before then, this guy- the same guy as with the definition talk- simply says I’m “making walls of words” and again speaks of me “lacking good faith.” This isn’t public policy or favorite foods we’re talking about. If we can’t correct each other when we’re wrong and accept that we’ve been wrong when it comes to facts, how are we supposed to learn anything? Isn’t that what the internet is supposed to be about? For All Mankind had a clip of Tim Berners-Lee praising the then potential value of the internet in the 80s and he spoke of a “more informed electorate.” Obviously politics is politics and it can get nasty in its own right, but what about technical discussions? Discussions about the humanities? I think I’m getting back to my point I made in my long post about climate change. Everyone has armies of rhetoric and data on their side to defend their arguments, and criticism and differing data is “politicized” or has an ulterior motive. If I or others can’t or don’t want to correct or be corrected on facts when we’re wrong, what’s the point of even being here? Just hop in, see if we fit in the echo chamber, hop out if we don’t and then post tweets and occasional witty jokes from time to time? Isn’t a forum all about discussion? I’ve never expected people to change their opinions when I’m criticizing them. But if there’s a fact they’re talking about that’s incorrect, I have a hard time sitting by and letting them be wrong. I wouldn’t want someone on this forum to let me continually make inaccurate statements, and when I did that in the history discussion, I’m glad I was corrected. Considering most of the people who regularly post in the main section of the forum I visit- the Science & Spaceflight section- are also the same people who have espoused the climate change denial arguments I listed in my climate change post in this thread, perhaps I just need to recognize the people there are not who I thought they were when I joined this forum and read about the better forum movement and rules intended to make it a more positive place. The Lounge is cool though, so I’d still visit here. But I can get space news on Twitter and don’t really have any more technical questions to ask people over there, so if it’s just a place to report the news and make jokes from time to time- discussion, while legal, will lead to arguments if anything beyond supportive comments are made, even if someone is incorrect about something- what am I even doing there? I’m also now thinking about how I don’t even really follow much spaceflight news beyond what’s going on in China. I might as well just head over to Sino Defence Forum (where I’m much more conscious of what kind of people they are and how it’s important not to start arguments).
  5. Well, the scope and scale is certainly impressive, and I imagine it costs about as much too… Lego should put out cheap sooty Falcon 9 kits with all pieces except payload having been previously used …
  6. Anyone know if the SLS is at the same scale as the Saturn V? I'm going to get it either way.
  7. I grew up with the original trilogy. When the Phantom Menace was released, I was super excited and rushed out to see it. I just about walked out in disgust when metaclorians were introduced. As many flaws as the series has, that was by far the stupidest decision. Bringing back Palpatine in The Rise of Skywalker is a close second.
  8. Ban for broken dreams 145704262024
  9. Yup, you need a bunch of mods to make Reviva shine as it's just a tiny part of getting IVA to work really nice. I also recommend FreeIVA so you can leave your seat and explore your ship. Come join us in modded land. Use CKAN to automatically install everything. I have over 300 mods, and it's very pretty... and yes, this picture is KSP1. Mods that make this look like this: KSRSS Reborn, Cape Canaveral for KSRSS, EVE (Volumetric Cloud Patreon edition) and Atmospheric Beats for EVE VC, and of course Reviva and it's definitely required mods, plus I think either DE IVA or perhaps Warbirds IVA.
  10. Mission Update: - No Kerbalnaut Left Behind - Foreword: The mission is at an end. I think, collectively between this mission and the establishment of K.G.01 and 02 - that I have squish everything I can from Kerbin SOI - It is time to break out into the Kerbol Solar System in earnest. It was quite nice change of pace to build and fly Search And Rescue planes to pick up lost kerbals - experiment with how much Δv is needed to fly the distance. It took a few iterations to get the planes right - but the 3rd generation hit the mark I think. Mission Tasks: A. Develop a SAR seaplane - Success B. SAR mission for the crew of the crash landed SSTO Spaceplane - Success C. SAR mission for the crew of crash landed MLKO - Failure. D. Develop SAR land plane - Success E. SAR mission for the crew of the crash landed SAR sea plane. - Success Lessons Learned; Lessons Identified: Section A: SAR plane V1 take off from the boat launch. I have read that quite a lot of people found it challenging to make a seaplane. Once my SSTO splash landed a few KM off the coast of KSC I thought it was an ideal time to give it a go. I must say that it was a bit finicky to get the plane buoyant enough to float - the SAS strong enough to keep the nose from diving down and the engines air intake big enough to feed the engines. All in all the plane went through 3 design stages: Make a plane that could take off from the water, and fly straight. Give it wheels to be able to take off from a runway + extend the range. Update vehicle from Lessons Learned; Lessons Identified on Section C - range extension, as well as giving it a docking port for refuel capabilities. Model 1. The first step was making the plane buoyant enough. To my annoyance I quickly found out that the nose cones does not give any buoyancy what so ever. Only the the fuel tanks gives buoyancy. The prototype 1 were using the MK2 nose cone for the front and the back, angled slightly up. I had to add a empty MK2 JFT-400 on either side of the nose cone to make it buoyant enough. See spoiler for reference: The plane was now buoyant. It was time to find the right engine. I started by powering the plane by 2x J404 engines - the lift to weight ratio would have been fine for wheeled flight of a runway - but I quickly found out that you need a good lift to weight ratio to get out of the water. I replaced the engines with 2x J33. They needed bigger air intakes, so I added 2x Mk1 Diverterless Supersonic Intake + the circular intake and a XM-G50 Radial Air Intake - giving them more than enough air (otherwise I found that one engine would be starved of air before reaching speeds were the air intakes would suck in enough air for both engines to work) This gave me speed enough - but a new problem arose. The fact that the engines were placed higher than the center of mass, meant that they would work as a leaver, pushing the nose down. I added RCWs until the SAS had the strength to keep the nose up and clear of the water. But the plane kept getting heavier and longer. which meant that it was harder to lift off. to reduce length I replaced the front Nose Cone + the empty front MK2 JFT-400 for a single empty RF-AD-800. - lastly I angled the wings 4° to help the engines push the plane up and out of the water. The Result was this: The plane would now leave the water - but as soon as it was airborn the tilt of the wing would force the plane down - to counter this downward motion I deployed the two center control surface on the wings by 15° and deploy the tail control surfaces at -2°. See figure in spoiler. The plane now flies straight (to the point were you can auto pilot it) and I completed the first test flight - picking up the stranded Kerbals on the SSTO without issues. Its stall speed is was around 30-40 m/s - which is also the speed you need to land on the water with to not blow up. I added 2 aero breaks to help slow down for the water landings. Model 2: After a successful mission I had to get it to fly much longer to reach the desert. I figured an easy way to get more range would be to fill the empty tanks with fuel and give it wheels. Taking off from the runway and flying would mean that by the time It had to be boyant again, the tanks would be empty. After a test - I found that I needed more fuel so I added 2 drop tanks. That gave it a total Δv count of 57.500 Δv. See spoiler to see the addition of wheels and tanks. I was hoping that would be enough for the mission to the desert and back - alas I was short by ~100km. This mission proved that the plane would benefit from having just slightly more Δv - but also a way to refuel. Which lead to the final model: Model 3: By extending the pontoons with NCS 200 fuel tanks + some other minor tweaks(I found out I had flown without Methane in the two Mk1 Diverterless Supersonic Intake) , I increased the Δv count to 66.000 enough to theoretically fly 1500+km 140 m/s in ~4000 m altitude. When configured for water flying - the Δv counter is at 29.100 - and its take off speed is ~49 m/s. Section B: The SAR plane arrives at the floundered SSTO. After the plane had been developed it was a pretty simple to go pick up the lost kerbals. See spoiler section for detailed rundown: et voila - The Kerbals of the crash-landed SSTO was safely back on the beach of KSC. Section C: A map view at the time of dropping the drop tanks - gives quite the impression of the distance that needed to be covered. ~15.013km in total The next mission would turn out to be a lot more demanding. - The distance that had to be travled back and forth were quite long. several hours long. Unfortunately the vehicle was to heavy to be able to fly on 3x time warp (I could not get it to fly straight, but once the flight had been lightened on the way home, it was possible) - So I actually spend a saturday afternoon flying from KSC to the Pod in the desert. fortunately the plane was so stable that I could run it at 70% power and have it fly between 3000m and 4000m altitude. I just had to adjust every once and a while - because of the curvature of Kerbin. It gave a lot opportunity to admire the volumetric clouds, lighting etc. around Kerbin. After 526 km of flight it was time to drop the tanks and see how much the mass savings would improve the Δv counter: After the drop the Δv counter went from 37,538 to 40,368 - saving 170 Δv. I was starting to worry about the success of the mission. The plane had gone a little shy of a 3rd of total distance, tour - retour, and spend (if my math serves me right) spend around 33% of its total Δv. Which in theory should mean that I would be fine - however theory and real life seldom lines up - any deviation from an optimal outcome would mean the flight got short of target. And spoiler alert.. The plane would end up about 101 km short from the runway at KSC on its 1412km journey. Any way after a long journey the plane arrived at the stranded MLKO pod to the cheering of the crew that had spend a day or two in the desert. Pilot Shepke Kerman gives a safety instruction before boarding the flight. Landing the sea plane proved to be a delicate matter - the 4° angle of the wing means it can be quite difficult to perfectly line up the wheels to the surface - you see leveled flight means that the fuselage is angled 4° down. And with the snug placement of the wheels, you need to land on quite horizontal to the surfaces, to not blow up a pontoon or lose a wheel. After a few attempts and reloads I figured the approach and optimal speed. (around 30-40 m/s like on water and close to perfectly leveled to the ground) It made me think that maybe in the future the plane would not be so suited for land operations(not all terrain is as gentle as the desert). But being able to take off from a runway fully loaded to land on water once fuel had depleted the floats - still merited the wheels. Now began the tour home. - Where the tour west to the desert had meant a slow passing of the day - the tour back would result in catching up with the dark quite quick. The SAR Seaplane reaching night time - short before flying over the western shore of the continent KSC is located on. It was here I was starting to debate with myself weather I should press on for KSC or attempt a night landing. I decided to press on until the vehicle had 500 Δv left - as I knew that I might be in need for a powered landing, so fully depleting it would not be advisable.. Fortunately I had anticipated needing lights for landings at nights - so the plane was equipped for night landings. That being said.. not being able to judge if it was a suitable place to land, before a few meters off ground.. still made it a spicey experience. A crashlanding was completed, only destroying some of the landing gear in the process: For a detailed walkthrough of this mission leg - see spoiler section bellow: Section D: Version 1 of the SAR land plane on Runway 1 KSC. Making a land plane was not difficult compared to the Seaplane - I could remove the 4° angle of the wing, and subsequently the ÷2° of the control surfaces on the tail - meaning it was a lot easier to balance the plane. That being said - the SAS really wants to rock the plane up and down when flying.. to the point were the plane crashes. I found that if I limit the range of motion of the control surfaces from its maximum of 20° to 10° the plane will fly stable. How ever to land at low speeds the surface needs at least 15° to keep the nose up. Another thing that were important to me were that the Land and Sea version of the SAR plane could refuel each other. It meant that both planes sported the same front, and subsequently the same cockpit (but it's fine, it gives them synergy). I decided to give the plane a probe core - since the Sea plane was full, and I did not want to fly twice. I figured I could fly it without crew and be fine. Stats: Δv and take off speed no drop tanks: 58.450 Δv - 67 m/s Δv and take off speed drop tanks: 75805 Δv - 84 m/s Section D: The last crew of The Minmus Expedition finally safely back at KSC. after 26 min of flight, and 202 km covered the crew was safely back at KSC - the final Kerbalnauts of The Minmus Expedition was home after 55 days away from the safe confines of KSC. See spoiler section for detailed walkthrough of this mission leg: MISSION_ACCOMPLISHED Thank you all for indulging me in my adventure. I can safely say that I am looking forward to do my Duna Mission ark - were a lot of the scope will be launching very small vehicles and probes. I got my fare share of big elaborate vehicles on this mission. See you soon!
  11. 6694 Or X = (½ × 13388) + (√10000 × 3) - (1000 ÷ 2) + (169² - 168²) - (13380 ÷ 2)
  12. Coming May 15th, for the Lego/Artemis lovers here:
  13. Back in the Korean war this was standard for helicopter medevac as you could not fit an stretcher inside the two man cockpit. It was also realized giving trauma treatment during medevac significantly increased the survival chance after serious incidents. 25 years ago I studied engineering and the student dorms was previously only used by nurse student because we was next to an hospital. One spring night I woke up in shock an binding light filled the room and it was very noisy. It was an medevac helicopter using our high rise as an visual aid toward the hospital. It I had someone with something critical like an stoke I would also gone in very tactical, the students just start drinking again
  14. Today
  15. "Well, lads, smoke 'em if you got 'em. We're going to be crashing into Jool in a few days - we're out of fuel" "No we're not, we've got 350t of fuel in the tank at the front of the ship. Let's just flip the tank around, redock it and fuel up?" "Oh, we could totally do that... but without fuel, we can't plan for that" "Things are going to get mighty bumpy for a while and then we might crash and explode" "But I don't wanna explode; can't you just tap the RCS thruster in 2d 41m 50s?" "I could, but we're out of methalox" "RCS don't use methalox" "Look, you know that, I know that, but _do they know that_?" "Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades" Giving me feedback that I'm not looking like I can make a burn/turn/alteration is nice. But telling me I can't *plan* anything because I have no fuel could easily be a Windows Vista feature. I know they're called Maneuver Nodes, but they are also defacto timeline markers, especially when you're flying multiple vessels concurrently.
  16. Where is the CelestialRescaleLocalSettings.cfg file located? Or I just didn't understand how to use this mod? (Nevermind, I think I got it)
  17. The Jiuquan launch pad doesn't seem to scale down after deleting the RealScale patch
  18. he crashed in an SSTO, unfortunately. How about @Kerb24?
  19. Magic being something a few have is pretty common idea. Not unrealistic as in you need special properties to become an fighter pilot and its far harder to compete in the Olympics. In high fantasy like Elder scrolls there magic is common ordinary peoples like an farmers might know some healing spells and some spells to resist bandits or animals as an shield but they mostly used weapons. Its an skill thing. during WW 2 US has an benefit in that an significant faction of their recruits could fix cars. http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff300/fv00214.htm obvious Freefall reference. Yes it was an idiotic thing to add, just point device and say the force is strong in him. Do not try to explain magic or advanced just make it make sense in universe . The prequels got lots of hate but they did not try to hyperspace ram their own ass as an main strategy so end up looking good today.
  1. Load more activity