[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

I want to echo everything apollo just said! If there was 1 and only 1 mod I want integrated to stock it would be this. I just don't know why they have EVA without this functionality. MUST HAVE mod!

I would like to offer a suggestion: Provide the ability to store sub-assemblies in a KIS container. Why? Is it realistic?

Yes, it is. For instance, assume a sub-assembly is a folding rover. A KIS container would store the entire rover. Upon landing, the kerbal would remove and deploy it.

This is the exact same scenario as the Apollo Lunar Excursion Module. The rover was folded into a container under the LEM and removed by the astronauts.

I realize that sub-assemblies are a different ball of wax vice just simple parts. So, if you could look at that for vers. 1.2 or so, that would be super.

Dude, you're badly missing the Hangar mod, it does exactly what you described and even better.

vWlM9vWl.png

Edited by Enceos

Dude, you're badly missing the Hangar mod, it does exactly what you described and even better.

That Lander Hangar is exactly the functionality I'm looking for. Excellent documentation on usage as well. Forum Rep point to you, sir.

Now, if KIS could just include Lander Hangar in its functionality...

Edited by Apollo13

That Lander Hangar is exactly the functionality I'm looking for. Excellent documentation on usage as well. Forum Rep point to you, sir.

Now, if KIS could just include Lander Hangar in its functionality...

Well, I didn't test it, but storing the hangar itself in a container can work ;)

That will need 1.1 however (for the inline 20 000L container and the ability to drag parts from the editor scene to container)

Edited by KospY

Well, I didn't test it, but storing the hangar itself in a container can work ;)

That will need 1.1 however (for the inline 20 000L container and the ability to drag parts from the editor scene to container)

Preferred solution would be to store rover directly in the KIS 20,000L container (from either Editor in scene or from sub-assemblies), without requiring Hangar . Kerbal would simply drag-and-drop rover to planet/moon surface from KIS as is done now with parts.

As a work-around, I'll make a "special" rover hangar with 0 volume and 0 mass which can contain a rover of any mass and volume(configured in hangar part.cfg). I'll put a rover into it. Then put the hangar into the 20,000L KIS container. Thus, the volume and mass of the hangar will be equal to the volume and mass of the rover it contains. To deploy, remove hangar from container. Open hangar. Deploy rover from hangar. If need be, I can import the rover hangar .MU file into Blender and create a very small hangar which can contain a rover of any size.

Edited by Apollo13

As for storing the hangar itself in a container, I don't know how the container deals with variable size parts (like in tweakscale), but those hangars can get BIG, you'd need a cargohold sized container to hold those.

Really though, neither one forces you to make a choice, you can either do it with the hangar or construct on site with KAS. Either way works just fine.

Well you can store much in the 20 000L container but not everything ;)

Here's a screenshot :

2lIH4Gq.jpg

Ho and btw, I just finished the user guide update. It will be very helpfull to explain the new features :)

The original KIS container was too large for my Mun/Minmus Lander, so I added another part.cfg to the container and to the containerMount directories in which I simply rescaled to 0.7. Of course, that means the smaller container can hold only 340L vice 1000L. Also, reduced number of items by half as well. (Yeah, I know, should be eight items, not 12. So, sue me...LOL)

Second, IRL, the container would not stick out of the side. So, I used the editor translation tool to embed the containerMount and container into the fuel tank (removing fuel to make room, of course).

DGIenmU.jpg

Oh, the things we'll al do with v1.1... For instance, 20,000L may be too large for some purposes. I plan to import the 20,000L MU file into Blender and cut it in half to create a 10,000L version. Need to convert the MBM files to PNG as well. Already working on an animated version of the current container. This stuff is for my own use only. Tis bad kharma to distro it without permission from KospY.

Sidebar: Kerbals can have 300L when in the vessel. For my gameplay purposes, the most a Kerbal can hold in a vessel is a wrench or screwdriver. He can have full 300L only when he pulls an item from a container while on EVA.

Edited by Apollo13

We're working on it ;)

Looks like parts load up just fine. It's functionality that still needs updated. That's a good thing, at least existing ships/things won't break in the meantime :)

Was this ever made to be compatible with tweakscale in 0.90?

I ask because I think 0.90 will still be used for a while.

Yep it was. You can store scaled parts and take them scaled out. Just drag and drop modified parts straight from your vessel.

Yep it was. You can store scaled parts and take them scaled out. Just drag and drop modified parts straight from your vessel.

There is no way to do this in the VAB/SPH right, just after launch?

Looks like parts load up just fine. It's functionality that still needs updated. That's a good thing, at least existing ships/things won't break in the meantime :)

Will parts stored within containers break/vaporize, or just be unable to be acessed? I hope it's the latter, so I can safely resume my .90 save...

Does this mod work on KSP 1.0?

Wrench and Screwdriver functionality are working in KSP v 1.0. However, the containers cannot be mounted to the container brackets; brackets can be installed, though. Right-click on the command module, and you can load upto 300 liters of stuff into the capsule per Kerbal. So, for now, you can treat the command module as a KIS container.

Edited by Apollo13