[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I’m using the version of scatterer bundled with the volumetric clouds version of EVE and I’ve been having issues with Z-fighting with ship flags and other decals.

I had a similar issue with Scatterer conflicting with Waterfall in the past and i can’t remember the fix or if I have it applied, can anyone help?

EDIT: it's an issue with temporal antialiasing, I must have turned it back on by mistake

Edited by zakkpaz

• 2 weeks later...

I have been debugging for hours and so far I am just too inexperienced to figure out the issue.

There is another thread where people are experimenting with volumetrics and new configs for JNSQ. I went ahead and added deferred rendering on there. Everything works great except for sunlight somehow passing through kerbin as shown in the screenshots. 

If anybody more knowledgeable could give me a hint as to what the issue might be I would appreciate it.

I see that Blackrack has the note for Kopernicus, "Mostly compatible, some planet packs have issues with the terrain shader of the homeworld," but I am unsure if that is related to the issue.

PUIVAHE.png

Edited by shifty803
typo

22 hours ago, shifty803 said:

I have been debugging for hours and so far I am just too inexperienced to figure out the issue.

There is another thread where people are experimenting with volumetrics and new configs for JNSQ. I went ahead and added deferred rendering on there. Everything works great except for sunlight somehow passing through kerbin as shown in the screenshots. 

If anybody more knowledgeable could give me a hint as to what the issue might be I would appreciate it.

I see that Blackrack has the note for Kopernicus, "Mostly compatible, some planet packs have issues with the terrain shader of the homeworld," but I am unsure if that is related to the issue.

PUIVAHE.png

Just found out its due to scatterer eclipses, I'm testing a fix now and will update scatterer when it's done. You can disable eclipses at the moment but will need to restart the game to actually fix it.

Question about scatterer (and deferred rendering and volumetric clouds) VS CKAN:

Everything's working great in-game, but CKAN is mad about Scatterer conflicting with another Scatterer:

Inconsistencies were found:
* Scatterer 3:v0.0876 conflicts with Scatterer
Error during installation!

No big deal, but it throws errors when I try to add other things in CKAN and I just wonder if I did something weird.

In-game everything is great, except for the intermittent dark areas on planets seen from high alt, which i think i saw was a known issue.

Posted (edited)

Hey I have a question! So, Scatterer and EVE are made to be compatible obviously, but there's one visual quirk that bugs me when I use both the EVE clouds and Scatterer. When scatterer is enabled, it completely changes the lighting for the cloud layer. Here's a couple images to show what I mean. I really prefer the lighting of the first one, and it feels more realistic as well. But when a scatterer atmosphere is present, suddenly the lighting becomes flat and the shadow becomes sharp. This is especially jarring and apparent in real-scale solar systems for some reason. Is there a way to control that kind of lighting? I think having softer shadows would be really nice.

Edited by rheaunderstars

Posted (edited)

@blackrackbug report:

Installing the new deffered rendering mod I'm getting this weird visual bug where everything looks washed out and overexposed, there is also a ton of glare/haze around the sun. I suspect it's caused by deffered rendering because removing deffered rendering fixes the issue, although it does look very similar to a bug I had when I first tried the new true volumetrics. Back then I was able to fix it by turning off all Anti-aliasing except for TUFX. Now though, no combination of settings for stock AA and TUFX seem to affect what is going on at all.

Here is my log: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/eltbohvtkepekmsqarc7c/Player.log?rlkey=jnzulnesyltsystwqe2jfjagr&dl=0

I am using RaymarchedVolumetricsEarlyAccess01_07_24, the fixed dll for volumetrics v4 from the deffered compatibility page and blackrack's TUFX profile. Here is what it looks like:

K9ST6Tn.png

EDIT: I believe I've tracked down the conflict to the Night Shift mod which changes how lighting in editors works. Might be worth adding to the compatibility chart on git.

EDIT2: I found out that the scatterer sunflare mod on ckan conflicts with the new deffered rendering in editor as well.

Edited by Errol

On 7/6/2024 at 10:31 AM, Errol said:

@blackrackbug report:

Installing the new deffered rendering mod I'm getting this weird visual bug where everything looks washed out and overexposed, there is also a ton of glare/haze around the sun. I suspect it's caused by deffered rendering because removing deffered rendering fixes the issue, although it does look very similar to a bug I had when I first tried the new true volumetrics. Back then I was able to fix it by turning off all Anti-aliasing except for TUFX. Now though, no combination of settings for stock AA and TUFX seem to affect what is going on at all.

Here is my log: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/eltbohvtkepekmsqarc7c/Player.log?rlkey=jnzulnesyltsystwqe2jfjagr&dl=0

I am using RaymarchedVolumetricsEarlyAccess01_07_24, the fixed dll for volumetrics v4 from the deffered compatibility page and blackrack's TUFX profile. Here is what it looks like:

K9ST6Tn.png

EDIT: I believe I've tracked down the conflict to the Night Shift mod which changes how lighting in editors works. Might be worth adding to the compatibility chart on git.

EDIT2: I found out that the scatterer sunflare mod on ckan conflicts with the new deffered rendering in editor as

Edited by shifty803
Deleted

On 7/11/2024 at 8:23 AM, Errol said:

You quoted me and didn't say anything at all. Did you have a point to make?

Yeah, I meant to say that Blackrack was going to release an update that fixes some planet texture issues. Maybe not related.

Unfortunately, when I install the 0.0877 update it breaks my volumetric clouds, which is weird. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. For now I have reverted to 0.0876.

Edit: Seems like you need the "other" scatterer version from his google drive, as opposed to the github one. It's been a while, I forgot...

Edited by shifty803

Anyone using the deferred rending mod.. experiencing weird shadow effects / blackouts.

Read the compatibility guide pushed out with the clouds. The only texture replacer supported is a forked version of Textures Unlimited.

Shaddy and Unforke TU cause the render to produce on the front only. Do not know what it means.. and most of you know this already.. just seeing some questions similiar to a problem that was resolved with this.

https://github.com/LGhassen/TexturesUnlimited/releases

Hello,

I have a question. I had issues with waterfall plumes when using scatterer with TAA.  They were flixckering wildly - as seen here:

And reported here

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/103963-wip19x-112x-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-00838-14082022-scattering-improvements-in-game-atmo-generation-and-multi-sun-support/?do=findComment&comment=4139088 

Since TAA and SMAA got updated, I want to know, if these are fixed with the newest version as well.

Currently I am not near my computer to test it myself. 

Another possible compatibility bug with deferred lighting?

I've just noticed doing night launches that Engine Lighting does not illuminate the clouds at all. I can't remember if it was like this before the deferred lighting mod came out, but either way, it would be a massive improvement to how dramatic night launches are.

Hi, guess im wondering if this is intentional or not, but sometimes the game gets really dim (usually on kerbin) and the terrain almost perfectly blends with the water due to the lighting, using the latest version of scatterer that comes with volumetric clouds.  Changing ambient light does work but whenever the terrain lights back up again its blinding so it is not a good solution.

I know the ground should dim a bit with cloud cover but this happens even when above the clouds and I was wondering how to disable/reduce this, thanks.

Both pics roughly taken at noon: https://imgur.com/a/3v5lk1r

Edited by Rulingmoss55

• 3 weeks later...
On 12.01.2024 at 02:28, AleksandrLXXXIV said:

Всем привет. Такая проблема. Я специально оставил только "разброс", чтобы его было видно.

3737637.png

Если отключить эту функцию, ошибка исчезнет, но исчезнут и ее последствия.

673576.png478686.png

Пожалуйста, помогите мне.

проблема не решена

21 hours ago, AleksandrLXXXIV said:

проблема не решена

the problem is not solved

Please include an English translation for all posts outside of the "International" subforum.   Thank you. 

Пожалуйста, включите перевод на английский язык для всех сообщений вне подфорума "International". Спасибо.

Hey, I've got a problem with the mod.

When I'm orbiting at a certain altitude of Kerbin, the atmosphere and the ocean look completely white even on the night side of Kerbin.
This white coat isn't visible when I'm at the KSC, on the ground or at a high enough orbit.

Captura-de-pantalla-7.png

As you can see here, the planet is pale like a snowball.

Captura-de-pantalla-12.png

But when I'm far enough, or when I'm on the Tracking Station, the KSC or in the atmosphere, the planet looks fine.
How do I solve it?

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone.

MxCk7jl.png

Small issue, when downloading Scatterer from CKAN with AVP on this happens to all the bodies. Scatterer breaks completely and the stock bodies lose their atmospheric shaders when viewed from a medium-high distance.

Ylrw47a.png

Here's my modlist. Please help!