[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Hi, does anyone know how to fix this weird glitch near the horizon? It's like the ocean shader ends before the horizon.

I'm using EVE, Scatterer and Spectra. (But it's also present with AVP), I have it in all the planet pack (Stock, After Kerbin, GPP, KSRSS)

https://imgur.com/a/sjWu9Bp

KSP 1.12.5 on Linux

KSP.Log: https://mega.nz/file/1ogFVKqZ#hexvUpa2lTiJlKSOLw_O8kF32Z_uodVAvgWxeXEcYug

Player.log: https://mega.nz/file/R8JRzaYb#mHmcwbftIsokGNX6Bmdq3EwGIsKznXfP1rUTIaCPmzY

How the hell do you write configs for planets? I'm just trying to get atmospheric visuals for OPM but I'm slowly losing my mind trying to figure out how to even do this or where to even begin because I can't find a single tutorial and the documentation is out of date by a year and oh god please help me I've been struggling for almost an hour

Is this a bug? A setting in Scatterer? A setting on my nVidia control panel?

If I removed Scatterer it goes away.

If I zoom super close (only really possible in flight scenes, not space center) it stops flickering. When I do zoom in super close the "event horizon" of solid/flickering sweeps across the texture, so it's definitely a "distance from the camera" thing.

That's Tundra Space Center's Launch Pad 34 if that helps.  It seems to have a plane above the visible "asphalt" which has a "blast" texture on it. It's a dds file, and has alpha transparency.

Edited by tg626

Log

Scatterer throwing some NREs

Events in log: Game is started, save is loaded, "Fly" a craft already on the default LaunchPad, Quit to main menu, quit game.

Edited by tg626

• 3 weeks later...

I have Kerbalism installed and the radiation belts vibrate/shake back and forth (more noticible on time warp) and its a great distraction to the eyes...any ideas what causes it?

Update SOLVED: I have solved this thanks to LGhassen getting back to me on GitHubb. If anyone else experiances it open up Scatterer (Little blue ord icon) and diable anitaliasing.

Edited by jebalicious
Fixed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 6:25 AM, NaviG said:

I'm polishing the look of ksp, somebody knows a way to avoid the cascade-effect on shadows, so they're on highest quality all the time when in distance range?

I don't think you can eliminate shadow cascading (that's part of the render engine), but you can adjust the cascade resolution and distance between steps in Scatterer settings (Space Center menu screen)

2 hours ago, Ryan Ranjan said:

Scatterer mod is not working. The atmosphere and water is white, and it looks terrible. Is there a way to fix this? (KSP Version: 1.12.1)

There might not be enough info in your description to do much, although I'm sure a solution exists.  The devoted fans and author/maintainer of this mod might need supporting information, so please help yourself by following the guidelines in the the thread below for all problems you're reporting.

Any help with the KSC showing up when zooming out in space?  It happens with mods and without(happens on the latest version).  You can see it in like a black/grey color through clouds/atmosphere.  You can also see it in the wireframe setting.

Here is a pic with only Mechjeb(for quick testing) and Scatterer.  It's hard to see on the picture, but it's very obvious in-game and especially obvious with cloud mods as it will go through the clouds like it is layered.(Fresh install of both the game and the mods, nothing edited at all.)
Screenshot-3.png

Screenshot-4.png

Edited by PresidentCash
Adding it was a fresh install.

13nd44n.png

dA7sgZE.png

Heya, im having an issue with scatterer, for some reason the darkside of kerbin isnt actually dark when looking at it from the mun's surface. I'd also like to add that the visible parts is the seabed of kerbin.

Edited by funnelton

On 5/5/2023 at 12:25 AM, NaviG said:

I'm polishing the look of ksp, somebody knows a way to avoid the cascade-effect on shadows, so they're on highest quality all the time when in distance range?

Set scatterer to the very high setting, check the wiki if you don't know how

On 6/3/2023 at 4:01 AM, PresidentCash said:

Any help with the KSC showing up when zooming out in space?  It happens with mods and without(happens on the latest version).  You can see it in like a black/grey color through clouds/atmosphere.  You can also see it in the wireframe setting.

Here is a pic with only Mechjeb(for quick testing) and Scatterer.  It's hard to see on the picture, but it's very obvious in-game and especially obvious with cloud mods as it will go through the clouds like it is layered.(Fresh install of both the game and the mods, nothing edited at all.)
Screenshot-3.png

Screenshot-4.png

This is a stock feature

2 hours ago, funnelton said:

13nd44n.png

dA7sgZE.png

Heya, im having an issue with scatterer, for some reason the darkside of kerbin isnt actually dark when looking at it from the mun's surface. I'd also like to add that the visible parts is the seabed of kerbin.

This is a stock bug with reflections, nothing to do with scatterer. If you disable the game's reflections it goes away.

It's supposed to show the KSC through the clouds as well?  When leaving the planet's gravity I can still see it through the clouds and atmosphere as well.  It's much more obvious in-game, I'm not sure why the screenshot makes it look so small.  If you want, I can get a screenshot of it showing through the clouds.

Edited by PresidentCash

10 hours ago, PresidentCash said:

It's supposed to show the KSC through the clouds as well?  When leaving the planet's gravity I can still see it through the clouds and atmosphere as well.  It's much more obvious in-game, I'm not sure why the screenshot makes it look so small.  If you want, I can get a screenshot of it showing through the clouds.

I never paid attention but it probably renders on top of everything in local space (like the ship does) while the rest of the effects are in scaled space. I personally don't care because I barely see it.

If you really want to you can make a mod that hides it when/after transitioning to scaled space.

Edited by blackrack

Great contributions to KSP's general appearance! If possible, I would like to learn how to tweak the "extinction" effect. My goal is to have the clouds near the Kerbin terminator more brightly colorful, both in map view and in flight mode. Can you point me in the right direction?

On 6/7/2023 at 12:39 AM, blackrack said:

I never paid attention but it probably renders on top of everything in local space (like the ship does) while the rest of the effects are in scaled space. I personally don't care because I barely see it.

If you really want to you can make a mod that hides it when/after transitioning to scaled space.

Ah ok, well thank you anyways!   

On 6/2/2023 at 9:01 PM, PresidentCash said:

Screenshot-3.png

Screenshot-4.png

I've been playing KSP since version 0.24.2, and the KSC has always been visible from space for as long as I can remember. I'm pretty sure that's a stock feature.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this issue has been reported on the E.V.E. thread before, but this seems to be caused by scatterer. Basically, the visor reflections from texture replacer don't show the scatterer textures, making the sky in the visor a dark, solid black and no water textures. Everything else (including the clouds) are visible.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I switch between the VAB and the spaceplane hangar, I get an error that pops up in the top right. I've checked my KSP folder and gamedats folder but there is only one folder of Scatterer. Does anyone know what causes this? For some reason It's not letting me insert an image of the error or upload logs, so the error text is: [Scatterer][Error] Destroying duplicate instance, check your install for duplicate folders, or nested GameData folders.