[1.3] The Plugin Workshop - Small plugins of varied function

Crzyrndm

MJ/KER TWR issues is just not something I can fix. It's new stock functionality and it's not going to be an easy one for them to support either

I'll fix the resource issues this weekend, sounds like I did something stupid

I frakking love the SRB thrust limiter! My favorite general-purpose rocket design is two liquid-fueled stages with two solid boosters to assist the first stage. Your plugin grants a pleasantly easy-to-use means of fine-tuning the radial boosters; it's simple, intuitive, and effective. Great mod.

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Crzyrndm I got a report about NullReference exceptions from someone who is using KWRedux, FAR and DynamicDeflection.  The nulls are in the Dynamic_Controls.  I'm copying the post below.  They did include a log file.

Anything particularly unusual about those parts? Stock control surfaces + FAR seems to be fine which makes this really odd because there shouldn't be anything about a part that should break it (currently waiting for KWR to download so I can test myself)

EDIT

@linuxgurugamer Seems like a missing MM patch, FAR is installed but I'm still only seeing the stock control surface module in the MM cache

Edited by Crzyrndm

5 hours ago, Crzyrndm said:

Anything particularly unusual about those parts? Stock control surfaces + FAR seems to be fine which makes this really odd because there shouldn't be anything about a part that should break it (currently waiting for KWR to download so I can test myself)

EDIT

@linuxgurugamer Seems like a missing MM patch, FAR is installed but I'm still only seeing the stock control surface module in the MM cache

I'm not sure I know what you are referring to.  I've never looked at the MM cache, so to help me, what should I be seeing there?  would this be a FAR patch?

Be sure you followed the instructions, the install isn't complete until they have been followed.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

could someone give a more descriptive explanation of what SRB Variable Thrust Limiter  does?

Stock KSP gives you the option to adjust a booster's thrust. The booster then runs at that thrust throughout the entire burn, so TWR increases dramatically. This can cause problems with excessive TWR near the end of the burn.

This mod adds a second tweakable slider for SRBs, giving you the option to set both the beginning thrust and end thrust. The booster will smoothly change the thrust level between those two points. I believe the most common use will be to give a booster a high initial thrust, then taper off to a lower final thrust, in order to extend the overall burn time and avoid excessive TWR. That's how I always use them, anyway. With a little bit of planning and practice, you can make an all-SRB first stage that will smoothly accelerate at two to three Gs throughout the entire burn.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not sure I know what you are referring to.  I've never looked at the MM cache, so to help me, what should I be seeing there?  would this be a FAR patch?

Be sure you followed the instructions, the install isn't complete until they have been followed.

Are you possible referring to something like this (from B9):

@PART[B9_Aero_Wing_Procedural*]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @MODULE[GeometryPartModule]
    {
        %forceUseMeshes = True
    }
}

Oh, I think I see.  In FAR, they have a patch for the KW3mPetalAdapter, but nothing else.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

19 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you possible referring to something like this (from B9):

@PART[B9_Aero_Wing_Procedural*]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @MODULE[GeometryPartModule]
    {
        %forceUseMeshes = True
    }
}

Oh, I think I see.  In FAR, they have a patch for the KW3mPetalAdapter, but nothing else.

Ok, I figured it out, but still have to figure out the correct values

I realize there have been a lot of changes recently and our heads are all kind of spinning, but...

(In reference to my question I asked about the RW saturated mod over-riding ability to tweak reaction wheels). I noticed you added some features that show max reaction wheel potential, but not the option to reach that potential (there's a cruel joke in there somewhere). Maybe it does already without a user interface?

On 4/6/2016 at 0:37 AM, Crzyrndm said:

It's a tweakable everything addition (not stock) hence why it isn't a part of SSRW currently. I was intending to add it at some point in the past, but it would appear I got a little distracted and it never made it. Added to the 1.1 update feature list

SSRW will get attention tonight. Working through things in order of which blows up more obviously currently :wink:

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, I figured it out, but still have to figure out the correct values

To clarify completely, when FAR is installed the plugin is looking for the FAR control surface module "FARControllableSurface". When I installed KWR (although I only dropped the gamedata folder in, nothing else...?) and then opened the MMcache file after observing the errors (text editor, ModuleManage.ConfigCache), the part KWFin still had the stock module "ModuleControlSurface". Since the plugin couldn't find a valid control surface module it spat nullrefs everywhere (a problem in and of itself, but the root cause is incorrect part setup)

Edited by Crzyrndm

57 minutes ago, Crzyrndm said:

SSRW will get attention tonight. Working through things in order of which blows up more obviously currently :wink:

To clarify completely, when FAR is installed the plugin is looking for the FAR control surface module "FARControllableSurface". When I installed KWR (although I only dropped the gamedata folder in, nothing else...?) and then opened the MMcache file after observing the errors (text editor, ModuleManage.ConfigCache), the part KWFin still had the stock module "ModuleControlSurface". Since the plugin couldn't find a valid control surface module it spat nullrefs everywhere (a problem in and of itself, but the root cause is incorrect part setup)

Thanks, I was able to figure it out and just released a new version of KWRedux with the fix.

12 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

I realize there have been a lot of changes recently and our heads are all kind of spinning, but...

(In reference to my question I asked about the RW saturated mod over-riding ability to tweak reaction wheels). I noticed you added some features that show max reaction wheel potential, but not the option to reach that potential (there's a cruel joke in there somewhere). Maybe it does already without a user interface?

Oops, forgot to make the editor bar visible in the editor... :confused:

Still in firefighting mode :confused:

edit

@Svm420 I may have already done so. Multiple discharge resources is def supported (the default cfg has 2 after all), and I think the setting "dischargeTorque" in the config.xml file should create torque when using resources to discharge (I don't recall testing it though, so could be interesting)

Edited by Crzyrndm

@Crzyrndm

Alright spent some time doing some testing and the mod doesn't work at all for me. :huh:

Here is log and here is cache. This was on 100% stock 1.1.2 windows 64bit install. Latest RW, MM, and hyperedit

No matter what I always had 0 torque available, but was able to move with RWs as if it was just stock with no loss of torque/saturation. Activating momentum discharge ,when I had that active, did nothing. The button toggled and remained that way till I toggled it back with no change in avail. torque or resource quantities. Hope I am not crazy, not sure why it would flatout not work for me. I tested with just a mk1pod on the Launchpad sandbox save.

Edited by Svm420

Why, why, why...

1) part is never "activated" so functions are never called and it just behaves as a normal wheel with no modifications
2) moving functions so as to not require activation breaks the base reaction wheel (presumably because hiding private implementations of the functions)
3) move to a separate module and things don't load

tl;dr
Random roadblocks...

9 minutes ago, Crzyrndm said:

Why, why, why...

1) part is never "activated" so functions are never called and it just behaves as a normal wheel with no modifications
2) moving functions so as to not require activation breaks the base reaction wheel (presumably because hiding private implementations of the functions)
3) move to a separate module and things don't load

tl;dr
Random roadblocks...

Well glad to hear I am not crazy. I figured it was just a case of I was the first to actually test in game and found it. Good luck with the fix :wink: 

2 hours ago, Crzyrndm said:

Mind testing this. I think I got it, but then again the random failure rate with this mod is just way too high...

Tested the RW module work perfectly AFAICT however the momemtumdischargethruster is broken so I was not able to test torque discharging. It seemEd non functional because there was no button in the RW window to discharge, and activating an action group set to "toggle thrust", on a mk1pod which has no RCS so it was obviously the module, did nothing though the AG toggle has been broken for awhile if I remember right. I think it would be a great addition if you get that working correctly to rename he action group toggle for momentum discharge.

Edited by Svm420

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.