[1.8.x] DMagic's Modlets - Most KSP 1.8 Updates [10-29-2019]

DMagic

so.. science relay.  this is awesome.  I'm not sure it's 100% working the way it's supposed to, but it's not a game-breaking issue... here's what I did.  Tell me if this looks normal or not please :)

1. built a LKO space station (~150km) with hitchhiker:::KSPIE science module:::hitchhiker  (obviously other parts, but that's the core of it.  KSPIE sci module holds 10k data and 1k science.  Hitchhikers aren't supposed to hold any.  I'm also using USI-LS, so the hitchhikers are there for their insane habitation multiplier.
2. put 2 scientists in the science module.  Nobody else is on board (there's a probe core for piloting)
3. Sent an unmanned probe to Moho which gathered a lot of science
4. Used this mod to relay the science (I am using the commnet, stock currently until RT updates) back to the space station

Now the weird part, I go back to the space station.. the data isn't there in the science module... instead it's in the second hitchhiker as experiments that I have to review and click 'add data'.  this is an *unmanned* hitchhiker.. I have to "review stored data (12)" to get the science into the lab.  Is this how it's supposed to work?
Either way I got like... 6000 science out of a single unmanned probe to a single biome on moho, so that was nice.

20 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

@DMagic is basic orbit better than KER? Does it have many of the same features like displaying your actual height from the surface? I'm thinking of installing

KER has more features, for example dV and temperature readouts. If you look at image in OP, then you will see that Basic Orbit has readouts for orbit, target and maneuver. If you need only these three parts of KER, then go for it and try this modlet.

@The-Doctor Not better just different. The purpose of Basic Orbit is to give you the information you need, when you need it; and when I say "you" I mean "me". :sticktongue:

The other aspect that distinguishes it from KER or MJ is that it really only gives you information that can be found in stock KSP, most of which is hiding behind the map node icons. There are a few extra bits that can't readily ascertained from stock KSP, some of which are the orbital parameters for the specific orbit contracts.

I also intend to update it with a few fixes and more post-maneuver node information, apo/periapsis after maneuver burn, etc...

It very specifically does not provide dV during flight. I may someday create a sort-of companion mod that adds a dV calculator for the editor (I've been waiting for KER to update before really thinking about that, since I would just borrow their dV code), this would likely include TWR and atmospheric vs vacuum info for all planets.

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

@The-Doctor Not better just different. The purpose of Basic Orbit is to give you the information you need, when you need it; and when I say "you" I mean "me". :sticktongue:

The other aspect that distinguishes it from KER or MJ is that it really only gives you information that can be found in stock KSP, most of which is hiding behind the map node icons. There are a few extra bits that can't readily ascertained from stock KSP, some of which are the orbital parameters for the specific orbit contracts.

I also intend to update it with a few fixes and more post-maneuver node information, apo/periapsis after maneuver burn, etc...

It very specifically does not provide dV during flight. I may someday create a sort-of companion mod that adds a dV calculator for the editor (I've been waiting for KER to update before really thinking about that, since I would just borrow their dV code), this would likely include TWR and atmospheric vs vacuum info for all planets.

KER is updated

These seem to be working fine in 1.2.2. 

Basic Orbit has an error when you load a vessel that has a maneuver node that it has already passed. You'll have to either delete the node or turn off the maneuver panel in that case (the error is harmless, but does spam the log with exceptions). Passing by a maneuver node in flight is fine, the problem only seems to happen when loading a vessel that has already moved beyond the node. I'll see about updating it soon.

Let me know if anyone runs into problems with the other mods.

Edited by DMagic

Maneuver Node Evolved version 2.2 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It is updated for KSP 1.2.2 and contains some fixes for snapping maneuver nodes to specific locations, along with error checking to prevent moving the node to an impossible location.

It also has an option to turn off the connection lines between the windows and buttons, is some cases they can get a little weird and it might be annoying to have them on. And it fixes some text overflow problems.

It is listed for AVC (and probably CKAN) as only supporting KSP 1.2.2; it should work fine in 1.2.1, there is just a minor problem when trying to save the settings file while creating a new game; the core aspects of the mod should be ok.

Basic Orbit version 5.0 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It should work on any version of KSP 1.2.x.

It adds several readout modules to show the post maneuver node orbit parameters, these only apply to the first maneuver node.

When using an EVA Kerbal or a vessel marked as a rover, there are several changes that will prevent flickering of the readout modules. This was particularly noticeable on low gravity planets where there were frequent transitions between the landed and sub-orbital states. Now it will only show the sub-orbital readouts when the vessel is more than a few meters above the surface. This behavior can be overruled by selecting the Always On toggles for the readout modules.

It also fixes some bugs with showing the maneuver node panel with no target selected, and some potential bugs with impossible numbers.

Can I make a small feature request for Maneuver Node Evolved?

In stock, when you need to make a Next Orbit adjustment, you often need to make many.  So you hover over the Next Orbit button, and click a bunch of times in a row very quickly.  Good times and happy rendezvous results.

With MNE, you pin the menu and float the mouse up to Next Orbit.  Press once and instantly, the arrangement of the buttons changes: the topmost button changes from Next Orbit to Previous Orbit, and Next Orbit is now the second row, below where your mouse is pointing.  If you absentmindedly click the space that began as Next Orbit multiple times, you may end up cycling back and forth from Next Orbit to Previous Orbit for a while before noticing that nothing is changing.

I propose that Next Orbit always be the top button, and when the Previous Orbit button needs to be created (after the first Next Orbit click) it be slotted in the second row.

Thank you

Edited by fourfa

Another feature request for Maneuver Node Evolved.

First, I am really liking this mod because it fits SO well with the stock feel. However, a feature that I think would be extremely nice to have... A button, say in the Manual DeltaV Input window, to circularize the orbit.

I have been using Precise Maneuver for awhile now, but the only features I really use on that is the disconnected gizmo (which is extremely helpful) and the circularize orbit button.

In the interest of discussion - I have also seen others complain about that button in Precise Maneuver. I think on the theory that autopilot mods should be autopilot, and manual maneuver editors should be manual.

(FWIW I use Mechjeb all day long and often use the Circularize function there)

To be clear, I don't mean make a button to actually circularize your orbit. Just set the maneuver node to circularize, nothing with autopilot. I guess when setting up an orbit, I tend to try to get it perfect... and takes me so long that ive passed the node :wink:

Updates for Maneuver Node Evolved, KerbNet Controller, and Science Relay have been released.

These fix errors with some of the sliders in the settings menu. The problem is specific to KSP 1.2.2, but the fixed versions should work fine in 1.2.1.

Maneuver Node Evolved has a fix for the order of the Next/Previous orbit buttons, the Next Orbit button should no longer be displaced by the Previous Orbit button when the window is updated.

As for the addition of more advanced maneuver features, I'm inclined to agree with @fourfa. That feels like something that is a little outside of the scope of this mod. It also has the potential for feature creep; there are several similar features that could be added: plane change, or minimal insertion orbit for instance.

Science Relay has a fix for a bug when a transmission to another vessel is aborted; this bug prevented regular transmission to Kerbin if the transmission to another vessel was aborted or cancelled due to lack of EC.

@DMagic Hello, first off i just want to say thank you for your hard work, i have been enjoying your mods very much. I had a quick suggestion for future a update on Maneuver Node Evolved. If it is possible, could you incorporate a circularize option/button that could be snapped to AP, PE or even at node creation (Just to be clear, Not a Auto Pilot, Just a Auto Node set up so i can precisely perform a circularize burn myself). In any case, it was just a thought i had and if its possible for you to create i would greatly appreciate it,  Thank you once again Sir, keep up the amazing work.

@DMagic I would like to create a flexible docking port for my Heisenberg airship's gondola/rover parts that uses your flexible docking ports modlet. Users would download your modlet and use the port I make to do things like create trains. Can you shed some light on how I could do this? Thanks for making such great mods. :)

@Rough Draft They should be compatible, but mostly redundant. There are some possible issues that could arise from moving or editing the maneuver node from one mod that might interfere with trying to move or edit it from the other.

@Angel-125 That's a bit of a daunting task, most of the complexity comes from the models, not the code, and they are very complex.

You can look at some examples here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7qh29soz2bto54/Flexo Examples.zip?dl=0

Each part is made of a model that incorporates multiple animations. The rigging required to setup these animations is quite complex. If you want, you can make a model and I can go over what needs to be added and how it should be rigged, or if it is suitable to working with the mod.