Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

14 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

The CSS appears to have been misplaced! The forum is in plain text! Seems to still be usable though....

There is an update in progress. Should be done soon, if it's not already.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GrouchyDevotee said:

Hello,

I keep receivingpop-up notifications that I have received a reply, but there isn't a reply I can see. Nothing in the bell shaped notifications, no red message indicator, and I haven't blocked anybody.

Last one was from a "Zetan"

They're doing some forum software fine-tuning and updating. Expect minor weirdnesses. 

Was also going to ask.

IIRC though, the decision was just to stick to liking last time this came up. So I guess its just minor fixes and what not? Maybe?

11 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

If they added more options, for example "wow", how would rep work?

I imagine it wouldn't be any different.  Any reaction would increment it.  Or, if we got negative reactions (which I doubt), then only the positive ones would increment?

I doubt we'll see any changes.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

Those aren't new, they're just not hidden anymore.

New to the forum. I am on another forum site which uses the same software... and I knew they were there. But... here... and they're not even KSP formatted!

What is this great blasphemy!?

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I see now the notification is "reacted to" instead of "liked", and hovering over the like button seems to hint at a pop-out menu that is empty.

Are we getting more reaction, or just sticking to "liking"?

The other forum I speak of has a lot more options other than "likes" Not meaning to promote the other forum, but it is here: www.simtropolis.com

Are my eyes going funny or did the forum just get even uglier?
* Activity page has acquired a "The search index is currently processing" space-waster at the top, does this mean anything at all? Is it going to go away?
* What's with this "Newsletter" thing that pushes all the actual content to the left? What's wrong with RSS? Can I turn this off?
* Why has the "[foo] liked a post in [bar]" notification become "[foo] reacted to a post in [bar]", despite "like" remaining the only possible "reaction"?
* My profile (and the username mouseover preview) is now adorned with some hideous abstract art space wastage at the top of the page, what is the purpose of this? Can I turn it off? Can I nuke it from orbit?

Edited by steve_v

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

* My profile (and the username mouseover preview) is now adorned with some hideous abstract art space wastage at the top of the page, what is the purpose of this? Can I turn it off? Can I nuke it from orbit?

Do you mean the part where some people have a background picture (Where I have the Borg cube in mine)? 

If that's what you mean, then yes, it's simple to remove it by going into your profile and clicking the button at the top-left. 

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

Do you mean the part where some people have a background picture (Where I have the Borg cube in mine)?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

it's simple to remove it by going into your profile and clicking the button at the top-left. 

There's no button in the top left. If you mean the button in the top right labelled "Cover Photo", there's an "upload photo" button, but there's no "remove wasted space, I don't want a photo or a default eyesore" button...

Ed. This?
Screenshot_20180425_230647.png

Or is there some other "remove" button I can't find?

Edited by steve_v

15 hours ago, DAL59 said:

If they added more options, for example "wow", how would rep work?

The same as it does now. I'll explain below @Geonovast's comment...

16 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I see now the notification is "reacted to" instead of "liked", and hovering over the like button seems to hint at a pop-out menu that is empty.

Are we getting more reaction, or just sticking to "liking"?

On the other forum where I am a member of, there are a variety of options available to interact with what a forum user has posed. There are likes, love, sad, haha, no, yes, thanks and maybe a few other things (the other forum is down at the moment, so I cannot be more precise and list all of them). Regardless of what is clicked in response to a post, every interaction using those are counted as a reaction to the post. An example would be this post here could get three "like" and three "no" interactions. The forum software, as it was explained on that forum long ago, will add +6 to the reputation counter. Once any sort of interaction is recorded, it is counted and no amount of "no" responses or "sad" responses would be able to lower the reputation of the poster. 

They are using the same forum software as this one.

17 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

An example would be this post here could get three "like" and three "no" interactions. The forum software, as it was explained on that forum long ago, will add +6 to the reputation counter.

Yay, let's add more silly interactions and make forum reputation even more pointless. :rolleyes:
If one were to add a "-rep" to the existing "+rep" function, at least the reputation counter might serve some purpose. But counting "dislike" reactions the same as "like"? What would be the point?

I thought rep might serve as a guide to how reputable a member is (i.e the concept it is named for), and therefore how likely to be useful a post is, but we seem to have been diverging from this into "random meaningless forum cookie" territory for some time... How about we just do away with it altogether, and stop showing a pointless and misleading "reaction counter" on every profile?

7 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Yay, let's add more silly interactions and make forum reputation even more pointless. :rolleyes:
If one were to add a "-rep" to the existing "+rep" function, at least the reputation counter might serve some purpose. But counting "dislike" reactions the same as "like"? What would be the point

I agree with your point here. It does absolutely nothing when additional options are added. In fact, under the old forum software, I feel the rep system was a much better system. Not only could you assign points (a scale of 1 to 5), but there was an ability to explain why you were giving points to someone.

9 minutes ago, steve_v said:

I thought rep might serve as a guide to how reputable a member is (i.e the concept it is named for), and therefore how likely to be useful a post is, but we seem to have been diverging from this into "random meaningless forum cookie" territory for some time... How about we just do away with it altogether, and stop showing a pointless and misleading "reaction counter" on every profile?

Naw, don't get away from it. I give rep to mod makers, new forum members, and those posts I feel are deserving of it. I use it as an encouragement mechanism. But others have their own reasons for giving people rep points. And it's really no big deal to me. In fact, it's better to have this ability to add a quick reaction than anything else.

OK... on the subject of forum reputation... and the new changes to the forum, I just found something interesting that is either new, or I just wasn't aware of it. I just clicked on my rep number, and it took me to a "Reputation from Just Jim" page.

This is what I never knew before. According to this, I have given out a grand total of 8,454 likes, and received 11,133 likes... OK, awesome!

But here's my question. There are also two other icons showing, a red down arrow, and a face with confused bulgy eyes... I have one of each. Maybe the down arrow was a warning??? But I'm not sure I ever got one, other than one or another of the moderators occasionally pm'ing me... lol. :rolleyes:

Anyone know what those are?

Edited by Just Jim

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

In fact, under the old forum software, I feel the rep system was a much better system.

Agreed.

Just now, adsii1970 said:

I give rep to mod makers, new forum members, and those posts I feel are deserving of it.

Likewise. But adding rep for negative reactions breaks this completely, I'd prefer no rep system at all to a -rep function that does the opposite.

Just now, YNM said:

Don't think a negative rep would work -if it really is inappropriate, just report it.

The purpose of negative rep would be to show your personal dislike of a post. It is separate than reporting an offensive post. Just because you disagree with a post does not mean you should report the post unless it is, in content, violating the forum community rules.

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK... on the subject of forum reputation... and the new changes to the forum, I just found something interesting that is either new, or I just wasn't aware of it. I just clicked on my rep number, and it took me to a "Reputation from Just Jim" page.

This is what I never knew before. According to this, I have given out a grand total of 8,454 likes, and received 11,133 likes... OK, awesome!

But here's my question. There are also two other icons showing, a red down arrow, and a face with confused bulgy eyes... I have one of each. Maybe the down arrow was a warning??? But I'm not sure I ever got one, other than one or another of the moderators occasionally pm'ing me... lol. :rolleyes:

Anyone know what those are?

I found that about a week ago, I think. I've graded so many papers that time has become irrelevant. Oh, by the way, what day is this?

I also found the gives and likes thing, which is new, pretty cool.

I don't have the other things you're discussing, the whole red arrow and face with confused and bulging eyes... so I don't know. And I've got plenty of warnings, so that's not the reason...