Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

12 minutes ago, YNM said:

Put 'em in words, that's what the posts are for.

This has actually struck me as funny! Here's why...

We've created "short cut" messaging lingo to make it easier and quicker to communicate, such as LOL, ROTF, KMA, IMHO, and the like.

We have microwavable meals, drive-thru liquor stores, drive-thru dry cleaners and restaurants...

And you expect someone to take the time to sit down, to actually think, and then come up with a witty reply to a forum post they don't like? :P

I agree, but for many, the art of conversation is dead.

(Apparently not for me, I am well known to be a forum member capable of giving a long and verbose reply that can derail a post. Any of the moderation would tell you that! :D

8 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

And you expect someone to take the time to sit down, to actually think, and then come up with a witty reply to a forum post they don't like? :P

There's always the

Spoiler:huh::P:confused:

:P :huh: :confused:

pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png

:wink:

On a second note, HOW IN THE HELL DOES THIS FORUM NOT ALLOW UNICODE EMOJI ??!?!?!?!!111!11!!1!!!?

Edited by YNM

I tend to visit this forum via an activity stream of the forums I care about, and for the past 2-3 days (I've been on vacation so not actively checking every hour like I normally do :) ) that stream has either been totally bare or only had 1-2 items in it, and at the top are the words

The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete.

Also, I notice that instead of being told that someone liked my post, the forum tells me that someone "reacted to" it.

I see no announcements here so I'm wondering, did something go wrong? Is it just me? Is there a big upgrade/change in the works? Did I miss the announcement? How many licks does it actually take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

17 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

How many licks does it actually take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

Two apparently, as that's how many times I had to click on the 'like' button for that thumbs-up I gave you before it registered.

Forums have been very wonky lately. I would make the statement 'things have changed', as 'updated' tends to imply new and better functionality ... which ain't so here.

52 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I tend to visit this forum via an activity stream of the forums I care about, and for the past 2-3 days (I've been on vacation so not actively checking every hour like I normally do :) ) that stream has either been totally bare or only had 1-2 items in it, and at the top are the words

Better than the way it used to be where there wasn't a message and the feeds were just empty.

Also, I notice that instead of being told that someone liked my post, the forum tells me that someone "reacted to" it.

Looks to me like the software supports other reactions, but @SQUAD just hasn't set anything else up.

I see no announcements here so I'm wondering, did something go wrong? Is it just me? Is there a big upgrade/change in the works? Did I miss the announcement? How many licks does it actually take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

I got the impression that under IPS that it's Invision that manages everything - so it could also be that Squad doesn't get a choice of when upgrades happen (and if it's not well managed, they may not even get clear notification before it happens).

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

Yes.

There's no button in the top left. If you mean the button in the top right labelled "Cover Photo", there's an "upload photo" button, but there's no "remove wasted space, I don't want a photo or a default eyesore" button...

Ed. This?
Screenshot_20180425_230647.png

Or is there some other "remove" button I can't find?

Sorry, I was on mobile at the time and the button is on the left. It's interesting that you only get the option to upload a photo. I get the option to:

Remove photo
Reposition photo
Upload photo

Perhaps "remove photo" would revert it back to what you don't like. I suggest uploading a plain black picture, in that case.

10 hours ago, steve_v said:

* What's with this "Newsletter" thing that pushes all the actual content to the left? What's wrong with RSS? Can I turn this off?

If you are using any of the custom KSP forum themes from userstyles.org, (there are several browser extensions besides Stylish that can use them), then you should be able to add this snippet to the CSS, to make that column on the right, containing the ""Newsletter" box, disappear:

/* remove right sidebar column on Activity pages */
   #ipsLayout_sidebar 
   {
	display: none;
   }

I'm messing around trying to address some of the other issues you mentioned, and a few other repositioning/resizing/cutting out wasted space stuff in a few other places, in my Darkblack KSP Forum Theme.

Edited by Stone Blue

There are also two other icons... 

Functions the software supports which we're not using, such as post downvotes. 

What's this new 'Reaction' thing? 

They're simply "likes." The updated forum software changed the name, but they work the same way. 

Also, some overlapping threads have been merged because all the issues you're seeing are just part of updating and tweaking update settings. 

3 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Functions the software supports which we're not using, such as post downvotes. 

They're simply "likes." The updated forum software changed the name, but they work the same way. 

Also, some overlapping threads have been merged because all the issues you're seeing are just part of updating and tweaking update settings. 

Just a little issue I found, it said 'Sorry, there was a problem reacting to this content'. What does that mean?

Also I've just noticed that I didn't get a notification when someone quotes me in a topic, and I can't see the name of someone when their post has been quoted by someone else. Is this just happening to me?

10 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I don't have the other things you're discussing, the whole red arrow and face with confused and bulging eyes... so I don't know. And I've got plenty of warnings, so that's not the reason...

OK, here's a picture of my "Reputation page". I drew two big red arrows next to the icons in question.

I'm not sure what either the down arrow or the googly-eyed icon is... especially the googly-eyed one. That's the one that really caught my attention... What the heck is that supposed to mean???

d6sncbG.png

Edited by Just Jim

31 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK, here's a picture of my "Reputation page". I drew two big red arrows next to the icons in question.

I'm not sure what either the down arrow or the googly-eyed icon is... especially the googly-eyed one. That's the one that really caught my attention... What the heck is that supposed to mean???

Can you hover over them and a text descriptor pop up? I've never seen them before...

@Just Jim I’ve got one of the downvotes too. I think these are artifacts from when the last big update was actually occurring, and they hadn’t finished setting up the new reactions system so some of these oddballs got thru before they were disabled. I remember (briefly) being able to use some funny reactions before they finished the update. 

20 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I’ve got one of the downvotes too. I think these are artifacts from when the last big update was actually occurring, and they hadn’t finished setting up the new reactions system so some of these oddballs got thru before they were disabled. I remember (briefly) being able to use some funny reactions before they finished the update. 

Then who downvoted him?

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@Just Jim I’ve got one of the downvotes too. I think these are artifacts from when the last big update was actually occurring, and they hadn’t finished setting up the new reactions system so some of these oddballs got thru before they were disabled. I remember (briefly) being able to use some funny reactions before they finished the update. 

2 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Then who downvoted him?

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

A very foolish man indeed. :huh:

Awww, thanks!

But seriously... besides wondering what google-eyes mean, now I'm curious... and more than half amused... about that down vote. I have over 11,000 up votes... and 1 down vote... I can't help but be super-curious what it was for? Emiko? Something else I was maybe ranting about??? Hmmmm...... <_<

11 hours ago, Deddly said:

Perhaps "remove photo" would revert it back to what you don't like.

It does. It reverts it to some horrible pink thing.
Why do we need some random space-wasting bandwidth-wasting image on the profiles anyway? What purpose does it serve?

11 hours ago, Deddly said:

I suggest uploading a plain black picture, in that case.

Indeed. This is suboptimal at best though, as it doesn't stop a pointless image from loading, or reclaim the wasted space at the top of the page.
I don't want a "cover photo". I don't want a "profile photo" either for that matter. Other forums work just fine without such frivolous waste.

This new forum fails the Taft test, miserably.

Edited by steve_v

9 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What's this new 'Reaction' thing?

This forum engine has the ability to add other reactions other than a "like" to a post.  Other forums I frequent have included things like "Thanks" "LOL" or "Surprise".   I'm happy with just a like. 

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

... Other forums I frequent have included things like "Thanks" "LOL" or "Surprise". ...

That ability was present the first time we moved to this engine I think. Guess during those moments that's when some of us got them. Like the "angery react" stuff someone suggested during the "vacuum of power".