Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

On 8/4/2018 at 3:46 PM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

> 1499 = 5 dots.

> 499 = 4 dots

> 99 = 3 dots

> 4 = 2 dots

> -1 = 1 dot

There are only 297 members with 5 dots on the forums, but over 126 thousand members with only one dot. Also, you only have to go ~2600 pages in to a ~8000 page member list sorted by post count to reach the last person with just one post. I'm considering learning to use python to scrape post count and reputation to take a look at more of this stuff, but it'd take a while with the 1 search per 2 second limit.

So if I get 1,499 reputation then I get to five dots?

16 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

@JustJim and @Just Jim are different users.

How do you link a pic to a link?

Either paste the image in your post, then CTRL-RMB click it and use the options to add a link, or use the "Link" editor button (looks like a chain) and put something like this into it:

URL:		https://exapmle.target.link.ksp/content
Link text:	[IMG=https://i.imgur.com/zPGxL5V.png]

The result won't embed in your post until you submit it:

zPGxL5V.png

EDIT: To clarify what's going on here, there are the remains of a BBcode parser in this forum software, and <url> is the BBcode tag to embed images.

13 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

So if I get 1,499 reputation then I get to five dots?

That's actually post count, not reputation. I'll clarify that.

If you have more than 1,499 posts (counting the same as the number underneath your avatar and reputation counter, above your location, i.e. all posts except those made in the Lounge), you will have 5 dots.

1400 = 4 dots

1499 = 4 dots

1500 = 5 dots

It might have been clearer to say that you need 1500 posts to have 5 dots, but using greater than symbols is too deeply ingrained in me from computer programming and off-by-one errors.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

37 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I have only 552 posts though. Not 1400. This is now confusing me

I may have messed up something, I'll get right back.

-Automerged post-

37 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I have only 552 posts though. Not 1400. This is now confusing me

3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

1400 was just an example. If your post count is greater than or equal to 500, and less than 1500, you have four dots. I chose 1400 as an example within that range. Your post count is 553, so you are in the four dot range also.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist
Clarified that second half of post automerged

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

-Automerged post-

1400 was just an example. If your post count is greater than or equal to 500, and less than 1500, you have four dots. I chose 1400 as an example within that range. Your post count is 553, so you are in the four dot range also.

Ok, so if I just spam the KSP discussion, Kerbal Network, and other threads I'll get to five dots once I reach 1500 posts? (Not that I would actually do that)

29 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Ok, so if I just spam the KSP discussion, Kerbal Network, and other threads I'll get to five dots once I reach 1500 posts? (Not that I would actually do that)

I think that only posts in the Lounge don't get counted, so yes. Although the dots are completely meaningless, so it wouldn't be worth it.

3 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Is it possible to earn 6 dots?

That is something for "Ask the admins questions about the forum"

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/member-preferences-and-features/user-ranks-r246/

But probably not. Unless it was set to something like 50,000 posts which no user has reached yet.

I was looking to install RSS, but the latest thread on the matter seems to be inaccessible. (image in spoiler)

Spoiler

rMBlUaz.png

I would like to know if this is intentional on the part of the moderators, or if I can find the latest information about that mod somewhere else.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

I was looking to install RSS, but the latest thread on the matter seems to be inaccessible. (image in spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

rMBlUaz.png

I would like to know if this is intentional on the part of the moderators, or if I can find the latest information about that mod somewhere else.

Hmmm interesting! It's not intentional, no. We're looking into it, thanks for pointing it out

28 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

How do you put a user quote in a signature? And how do you put a quote from a different thread into a different thread?

Not sure about signatures, but to quote in a different thread, just press the + to the left of the quote button, then go to the thread you want to quote in, and press the "Quote 1 post" popup in the lower right. Note that it works across tabs.

16 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

WHy?

Because they already take up a lot of space on the pages. 

@cubinator @Deddly and @ManeTI , as for the RSS thread acting up, that's because someone, who is totally not me, screwed up a couple of days ago. This person, who is still not me at all, thought he had fixed it and is embarrassed to learn that he hadn't. He's sorry.