Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Just now, Ben J. Kerman said:

What is going on with the "Don't Click" Thread? I don't want it to be un-locked, I don't really care, but it seems like it has been locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked, and locked for a while, and it seems like even you (The moderators) are surprised. It has just been unlocked again somehow.

You are mistaken. 

Ok. Wait, mistaken about what? I just saw that someone commented on the Don't Click, and I am pretty sure that it was locked yesterday. If you mean about how you don't know what is happening, then I apologize, you know a lot more than me (About the forums, about life, etc.) I am just a little confused. If that is going too much into rule 3.3, then I am sorry, I don't want to cause any trouble. 

Just now, Ben J. Kerman said:

Ok. Wait, mistaken about what? I just saw that someone commented on the Don't Click, and I am pretty sure that it was locked yesterday. If you mean about how you don't know what is happening, then I apologize, you know a lot more than me (About the forums, about life, etc.) I am just a little confused. If that is going too much into rule 3.3, then I am sorry, I don't want to cause any trouble. 

It's a running joke.  It started long before I came on, so I don't know exactly what happened, but we do unlock/lock it frequently and the joke is that it's never been unlocked.  The locking system on that thread works perfectly fine.  It's just toggled.... a lot.

15 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

The very first account created is Jeb's. 

That's not actually true, @Jebediah Kerman's user number is 109744. The earlier user number is 3, which belongs to @aLeXmOrA. My guess is that some administrator played with the join dates to put the official accounts first. I don't know what happened to accounts 1 or 2, but they've probably been lost to the sands of time.

Edited by Dman979
Added clarity.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

The locking system on that thread works perfectly fine.  It's just toggled.... a lot.

Part one of that is correct. Part two is wrong. It's been locked since Ted locked it in 2013.

21 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

What is going on with the "Don't Click" Thread? I don't want it to be un-locked, I don't really care, but it seems like it has been locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked, and locked for a while, and it seems like even you (The moderators) are surprised. It has just been unlocked again somehow.

I have fun trolling the other moderators. I visit it every once in a while and unlock it. Oh, and there are times I will randomly lock it again. It's just become a forum game anyway. And that's the way it should be - kinda like a good gumbo. If it's really good, you enjoy it while you can; you never know when you'll get another opportunity to have another good batch of gumbo. :)

1 minute ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

I think I get it now. You lock and unlock it frequently, but to make it funnier you insist that it has always been locked, making people confused. Got it. Thank you!!

No, it's been locked since Ted locked it in 2013. The other moderators are messing with your head. ;)

Edited by Dman979
Typo

5 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

:D It's good to know that the moderators have a good sense of humor! This will be my last post about that thread so we can keep this thread on topic.

Some of us have a very strong sense of humor. I, for one, have to tone down my humor and sarcasm here on this forum. Between graduate school (I have a Ph.D. and working on the second one), and nearly 8 years in the military, my sense of humor and sarcasm skills are closely intertwined. :blush: :cool:

If you know me, you know I have a very good sense of humor/sarcasm. Almost too good...

To continue this thread in the right direction with a different question, in the moderator UI that was posted on page 231, what does the triangle with exclamation mark (Warning sign? I don't know how to describe that symbol) mean, and what does "ModeratorCP" mean? If that is classified information, I sort of understand.

11 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

To continue this thread in the right direction with a different question, in the moderator UI that was posted on page 231, what does the triangle with exclamation mark (Warning sign? I don't know how to describe that symbol) mean, and what does "ModeratorCP" mean? If that is classified information, I sort of understand.

The "warning sign" and is the icon for the moderator control panel. It's a link that opens the moderator area. 

Just as with the normal notification bell, we get a white number in a small red circle to let us know there are a corresponding number of things that need attention.

We get a notification when a post is in the newbie queue, when a post is reported, and so forth. I cannot go into more detail than that, sorry. 

1 hour ago, Souptime said:

hey i found me a question: what happened to the "*Insert morderator here* unlocked the thread" fearture?

15 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

What do you mean? Asking seriously, not as a joke. :)

I think @Souptime is referring to that thing on the bottom of a thread that had the status of who on the moderator team was doing things to the thread. And the thread in question is probably the Don't Click This thread.

10 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

What do you mean? Asking seriously, not as a joke. :)

There used to be a thing where if a mod would lock/unlock a thread a little block of text at the bottom would say what mod did what

imma whip up a quick drawing

Just now, Souptime said:

There used to be a thing where if a mod would lock/unlock a thread a little block of text at the bottom would say what mod did what

imma whip up a quick drawing

I know what you're talking about.

We had it turned off because we believed it detracted from readability of threads.

8 minutes ago, Stormpilot said:

The first forum game was posted on December 31st 1969. Unless some dude is magical and made this happen by going back in time why is this?

Errors accumulated in the multiple forum upgrades, plus that's the first date that the system recognizes IIRC.

56 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Errors accumulated in the multiple forum upgrades, plus that's the first date that the system recognizes IIRC.

It's the UNIX EPOCH.

On UNIX, the timestamp 0x000000000000000 is January 1st, 1970 0:00:00.000 Zulu (GMT-0 - or Greenwich Time). Since USA is some hours earlier than Zulu (East Cost Time is GMT-5), January 1st, 1970 0:00 Zulu is December 31st 1969 19:00 on the USA's East Cost.

The server hosting Forum is probably on USA, so this explains this date: the posts got their timestamp zeroed (the default value for most uninitialised data), then it was converted to a ISO 8601 datetime localised to some USA time zone.

4 minutes ago, Lisias said:

It's the UNIX EPOCH.

On UNIX, the timestamp 0x000000000000000 is January 1st, 1970 0:00:00.000 Zulu (GMT-0 - or Greenwich Time). Since USA is some hours earlier than Zulu (East Cost Time is GMT-5), January 1st, 1970 0:00 Zulu is December 31st 1969 19:00 on the USA's East Cost.

The server hosting Forum is probably on USA, so this explains this date: the posts got their timestamp zeroed (the default value for most uninitialised data), then it was converted to a ISO 8601 datetime localised to some USA time zone.

Thanks for the clarification. :)