[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

On that note, I am really hesitant to call it Gemini just because then there's an expectation that I make the other parts.

Two things come to mind, both based on the same nugget of thought: how hard is the technique of having multiple attach nodes? The nugget will be clear in a moment, but perhaps the heatshield could have a 1.875 m snap + "skirt", as well as a 2.5 m snap + skirt, for those of different opinion on launch vehicles. (I ask after the difficulty, because I hate requesting extravagant features :wink:)

nugget #2 wonders if it could adopt a vegetarian name as long as it's not seen as too derivative, but as a fitting tribute. 

Just one Kerbalnauts opinion ^^

(and yeah, this editor sucks on iOS: it manages to break the new cursor mechanism they've added, even :()

Edited by komodo
B/c editor ****ups

2 hours ago, komodo said:

Two things come to mind, both based on the same nugget of thought: how hard is the technique of having multiple attach nodes? The nugget will be clear in a moment, but perhaps the heatshield could have a 1.875 m snap + "skirt", as well as a 2.5 m snap + skirt, for those of different opinion on launch vehicles. (I ask after the difficulty, because I hate requesting extravagant features :wink:)

nugget #2 wonders if it could adopt a vegetarian name as long as it's not seen as too derivative, but as a fitting tribute.

The pod is 1.5m, so 2.5m would look a little silly. Right now the heatshield includes 1.25 and 1.5m adapters. I might just take them off the heatshield, and make them into three separate adapter decouplers (1.25, 1.5, 1.875) for it...

Karrot?

2 hours ago, davidy12 said:

@CobaltWolf, have looked at the parachute?

No.

Rutabaga? Turnip?... Not quite sexy enough though. Maybe as a subtitle. (Acronym?) Hmm. Parsnip? Daikon would be perfect if it hadn't have been used already ><

itd be funny though; it'd be the third part I've "named" in a mod, and the second vegetable, doh!

A 1.5 m craft makes total sense, ignore my pondering on decouplers in that case. At one point I remember FAR threw fits at parts with more than one node, but I don't know if nuFAR with its voxel-y goodness still does.

KARROT... Kerbaled Active Rendezvous and Rescue Orbital Transport? ... I'm not so good at acronyms, apparently, :blush:

10 hours ago, komodo said:

Rutabaga? Turnip?... Not quite sexy enough though. Maybe as a subtitle. (Acronym?) Hmm. Parsnip? Daikon would be perfect if it hadn't have been used already ><

itd be funny though; it'd be the third part I've "named" in a mod, and the second vegetable, doh!

A 1.5 m craft makes total sense, ignore my pondering on decouplers in that case. At one point I remember FAR threw fits at parts with more than one node, but I don't know if nuFAR with its voxel-y goodness still does.

KARROT... Kerbaled Active Rendezvous and Rescue Orbital Transport? ... I'm not so good at acronyms, apparently, :blush:

I think I'll just leave it as Karrot until someone thinks of a better name.

13 hours ago, davidy12 said:

@CobaltWolf: It keeps deploying (the chute) to the side. And I never land safely. 

PS: Could you add tweak scale for the Mercury parts?

I know. I said it wasn't working. Several people asked for a download so they could help with configs.

I usually don't do tweakscale until I get around to polishing for release. I don't try and leave the dev releases playable.

edit: @Davidy12 apparently I cant tag on mobile. So me a favor, go to the parachute config and in the very last module, for fully deployed drag, crank it up to 30 or so and see if it makes a difference.

Edited by CobaltWolf

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

edit: @Davidy12 apparently I cant tag on mobile. So me a favor, go to the parachute config and in the very last module, for fully deployed drag, crank it up to 30 or so and see if it makes a difference.

Alright @CobaltWolf, I'll try it. 

Also it deploys to the side when I first deploy it.

Edited by davidy12

13 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Yeah, still doesn't work. @CobaltWolf. You really need to take a look at it to understand what I mean. 

@davidy12, you shouldn't be so pushy with this. Did you see what he responded about the parachute earlier? He released it so others can help with the config, not the other way around like you are doing.

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I know. I said it wasn't working. Several people asked for a download so they could help with configs.

6 minutes ago, cxg2827 said:

you shouldn't be so pushy with this. Did you see what he responded about the parachute earlier? He released it so others can help with the config, not the other way around like you are doing.

Thanks @cxg2827. Yes, as I've said I know the parachute doesn't work, I tried for several days to fix it to no avail. I have not had time to work on the mod since posting the update.

@davidy12 don't worry about it. In the future I'd appreciate reading my posts a bit closer though, as I did state several times I knew that there was a problem. Thanks for looking into the issue though. :) That was the easiest of the possible solutions, so it probably goes deeper.

Also I feel like we don't need to tag people in every. single. post. I already get updates when this thread is posted to, I don't need extra notifications haha.

On 2.12.2015 21:22:31, CobaltWolf said:

Thank you! Is that how you tag people here now? Yes, a big thanks to @passinglurker for his Bloeting Corp parts. They still show up in game as Bloeting, which also appears as a contractor. As for your questions,

1) BRiunsK.png

2) The top node and the RCS are exactly 0.625m. I don't know about the stock pod but they should function with the other things I've been working on, like the two man pod.

3) The pod is a bit squat for Mercury. That's part of the original design of the Hermes, and I can't change it without completely remaking the pod geometry, which I didn't want to do. I already remade the RCS (since it doesn't have the Tantares one now), parachute, and LES. At any rate, I kinda like it. I like my Kerbal replicas slightly squat + cute.

4) As you can see in the screenshot, it does indeed work. They're part of the parachute module, which splits right below the white stripe. I know that's not where the real parachute goes, but it was the best way I could split it up for KSP. I was planning on putting some science in the RCS module. Perhaps a goo pod? Materials bay? I'm not sure. It's a bit late now to make it have an animation, but the science is more of an afterthought. I'm also hesitant to include too much science in parts that aren't science modules, just because that's not how the game works and so it makes the parts feel slightly cheaty IMO. Bear in mind I usually just clip my science parts into the pod haha.

5-ish) Which panels? If you could highlight them in paint or something that'd be really helpful haha.

EDIT: Have a screenshot from a suborbital hop.

GkGzTJ6.png

Hi CobaltWolf, wow, i looks very scale ! very professional work!  how you make some great awesome texture designs I still have a lot to learn to.

10 minutes ago, RaendyLeBeau said:

Hi CobaltWolf, wow, i looks very scale ! very professional work!  how you make some great awesome texture designs I still have a lot to learn to.

Are you asking how I texture? I'm not sure but I'll post as if that's the case. I really don't think mine are particularly good. But every one is better than the last, and sometimes I am surprised at how well a texture falls in place.

Generally speaking, just pay attention to the stock textures. Porkjet's in particular, which would be (for example) the MK3 shuttle parts. I also recently started referencing Ven's textures for the rocket parts, so hopefully mine will fit in with his. Don't be afraid to open up other people's textures and look at them, and then emulate them yourself.

If you use Photoshop, I can upload a couple PSD files for you to look at. Things make a lot more sense when you can see the layers. If not, I was planning on making a thread soon-ish over on the Modeling + Texturing board to share the tips/techniques I've learned thus far.

P.S. I really hope all this translates to... French? I believe? I hope it translates well and you can understand just fine. :) If anything doesn't make sense I can try and phrase it differently.

EDIT: Also, it seems as if I will indeed need to rearrange the modules on the mercury capsule in order to get the parachute to work. It's probably for the best, since then the rCS (this lab keyboard won't let me type a capital r!!!) / parachute module will be more useful, useable with the Karrot and stuff. And then the science + antenna module will be useful for the early game manned science.

I will have some time tonight to work, but I don't really feel like working on the Mercury / Gemini, except maybe for a bit of texturing. I am in a texturing mood. I want to finish revamping most of the Rocket (omg it let me type it!) Expansion textures, and the rl-10 textures, and then move on to trying to model the Agena parts and get an untextured version in game by the end of the night. Huzzah!

Edited by CobaltWolf

Aight guy's here's another dev update. I tried to eek out some stuff... Don't expect anything new, but I'd suggest taking a look at the various fuel tanks from the mod, as well as the RL-10. :) Also, I threw cobbled together a new setup for Mercury. The RCS module now has the chute, and the cap has antennas and eventually science. It works physically but not visually, the parachute deploys sideways

Grab it here.

I see you took note of me using your parts in my Atlas IIAS rocket (whose launch I filmed in KSP) :) 

However, I'm working on either most of, or the entire Atlas-Centaur family, starting from the 1960's.

For now, what I have pictured are the last three models of 1.5-stage Atlas rockets designed by General Dynamics:

clttc26.jpg

10 minutes ago, fs10inator said:

I see you took note of me using your parts in my Atlas IIAS rocket (whose launch I filmed in KSP) :) 

However, I'm working on either most of, or the entire Atlas-Centaur family, starting from the 1960's.

For now, what I have pictured are the last three models of 1.5-stage Atlas rockets designed by General Dynamics:

Very cool! Make sure to grab Venom's RealPlume configs from the OP if you want them to look even better.

13 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Are you asking how I texture? I'm not sure but I'll post as if that's the case. I really don't think mine are particularly good. But every one is better than the last, and sometimes I am surprised at how well a texture falls in place.

Generally speaking, just pay attention to the stock textures. Porkjet's in particular, which would be (for example) the MK3 shuttle parts. I also recently started referencing Ven's textures for the rocket parts, so hopefully mine will fit in with his. Don't be afraid to open up other people's textures and look at them, and then emulate them yourself.

If you use Photoshop, I can upload a couple PSD files for you to look at. Things make a lot more sense when you can see the layers. If not, I was planning on making a thread soon-ish over on the Modeling + Texturing board to share the tips/techniques I've learned thus far.

P.S. I really hope all this translates to... French? I believe? I hope it translates well and you can understand just fine. :) If anything doesn't make sense I can try and phrase it differently.

EDIT: Also, it seems as if I will indeed need to rearrange the modules on the mercury capsule in order to get the parachute to work. It's probably for the best, since then the rCS (this lab keyboard won't let me type a capital r!!!) / parachute module will be more useful, useable with the Karrot and stuff. And then the science + antenna module will be useful for the early game manned science.

I will have some time tonight to work, but I don't really feel like working on the Mercury / Gemini, except maybe for a bit of texturing. I am in a texturing mood. I want to finish revamping most of the Rocket (omg it let me type it!) Expansion textures, and the rl-10 textures, and then move on to trying to model the Agena parts and get an untextured version in game by the end of the night. Huzzah!

yes my friend,

that was my full seriously about textures, I do this only for a few months.

"a thread over Modeling + Texturing with tips/techniques"  wow ! sounds good, very good I can not wait any longer !!

-  no you dont need to translate anything to French my friend-   

Thus , the Mercury-Gemini scale-surface structure details at your fingertips Real, very good work ! 

I wish you much fun in the development of your mod's !

thnx a lot ! cheers Raendy  :)

9 hours ago, fs10inator said:

clttc26.jpg

Amazing! I love these