[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Wait!  Do you have documentation for the RS-83/RS-84?   Please share with the class, the only F-1 scale engines I have documentation on are the Pintle TR-106/TR-107, which I would love to see made BDB quality (because they would be a drop in F-1 replacement and smaller)

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Nope. I was assuming you had documents for the RS-83/84. I'm surprised you don't, since the 83 was due to start prototyping phase before cancelation, which means there should at least be technical resaerch documents right? 

I don't have any documents, but Google does pull this up: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20020085363

Which is barely anything really. Doesn't even have a schematic which is really all we would need for the BDB team. 

RS83 is something I've thought about before. I might be interested tbh after Atlas. Theres no orthographic but dimensions and a reasonably clear layout of the powerhead are available. RS84 was made by Nertea for the NFLV revamp btw.

lhaBoRY.png

13 minutes ago, Zorg said:

RS83 is something I've thought about before. I might be interested tbh after Atlas. Theres no orthographic but dimensions and a reasonably clear layout of the powerhead are available. RS84 was made by Nertea for the NFLV revamp btw.

It was? Oh, hey. Yep. There it is. So, I guess BDB won't get its own RS-84?

Atlas J-1U flying MBsat 1 to geostationary orbit. Since we don't have the LNG upper stage or it's engine, yet at least, I decided to use Centaur with an MB-60 in Methalox mode.

I had to use Castor-4A-XLs because by itself, the Nk-33 can't produce over 1.0 TWR

And yes, I am aware the LR-101s would swivel into the SRBs, but I had no overheating warning during flight, so I guess it was fine. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

9lvXneJ.png

0S9Y5G5.png

09tFZmZ.png

gkRUU9l.png

EnR5vo0.png

H2ywKQ8.png

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Made a quick and dirty Verdigris texture. Keep in mind, I have no artistic skill. I literally did this with the Recolor tool in Paint.net. 

It does look amazing, love it! perhaps a candidate for BDB extras? :D

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Made a quick and dirty Verdigris texture. Keep in mind, I have no artistic skill. I literally did this with the Recolor tool in Paint.net.

Your color is, uh, a little strong.

Pylon is in game!

BNeSEcM.png

1 minute ago, Gupyzer0 said:

Not sure about that, chief

Edited by CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

lhaBoRY.png

Something I'd love is a dedicated methalox engine and/or stage, which BDB doesn't have (excluding the optional patch)... but I don't know if there were even any methalox stage proposals back in the olden days at all?

1 hour ago, Gupyzer0 said:

It doesn't look good at all! :D There's obvious errors in the texture, it's too shiny, the color is a little bright. Besides, I have no artist talent. This is just a self-project mod. 

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Your color is, uh, a little strong.

Not sure about that, chief

I know. Like I said, quick and dirty. 

Definitely not. Not unless I try to do a "Good" version, which I doubt I will. lol.

Maybe if I learn how to deal with and understand DDS files properly. Like why are they transparent? Is that the artists doing or does DDS add transparency? 

I literally just opened the file, recolored all the red bits, saved it. Tried to load the game, wasn't in game, trouble shooted for like an hour. Found I forgot some brackets in the config file, fixed that. Still wouldn't load. Says the texture file wasn't found, saw I messed up the pathing. Fixed pathing. Still says can't find the texture. Cried. Googled DDS KSP, found out unity only supports DDS BC1-3, resaved the DDS in BC3. Finally got it in game.... 

Edited by GoldForest

10 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Maybe if I learn how to deal with and understand DDS files properly. Like why are they transparent? Is that the artists doing or does DDS add transparency?

That's because image viewers see the alpha channel as transparency. We use it for shiny-ness; it doesn't look like than when you're working on the .psd files. Honestly you're better off downloading the files from the BDB Google drive once they're up.

6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

That's because image viewers see the alpha channel as transparency. We use it for shiny-ness; it doesn't look like than when you're working on the .psd files. Honestly you're better off downloading the files from the BDB Google drive once they're up.

I'm using Paint.net, which says it has DDS file support built in. 

Also, you guys have a google drive? 

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Atlas J-1U flying MBsat 1 to geostationary orbit. Since we don't have the LNG upper stage or it's engine, yet at least, I decided to use Centaur with an MB-60 in Methalox mode.

I had to use Castor-4A-XLs because by itself, the Nk-33 can't produce over 1.0 TWR

And yes, I am aware the LR-101s would swivel into the SRBs, but I had no overheating warning during flight, so I guess it was fine. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

9lvXneJ.png

0S9Y5G5.png

09tFZmZ.png

gkRUU9l.png

EnR5vo0.png

H2ywKQ8.png

Where is that NK-33 from on the second image? It doesn't look it's it's the ones from Tantares or Restock.

32 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

EstreetRockets does have some good rocket engine models!   I firmly believe everyone should have his Rocket Motor Menagarie.   I utilize several engines from it in my Station building rockets.

20 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I did a bunch of research on Big G for my article a couple years ago (titled Twins no More, it is on the github link below if you want to download it.)   Much of my source material was thanks to Dewayne Day the author of the article you linked.   As I recall, there was never a decision to go with a retractable or fixed Docking Port.  Both were discussed.    

The old FASA mod by Friznit did do a retractable one and as I remember he had nothing but problems with it for the longest time.   It was made long before B9Part switch was a thing after all, and even predated almost all other inflatables in KSP.

The Drawaings Cobalt was using (As I remember from one of his dev/modeling streams) was of the fixed docking port.)   So BOTH are correct as far as I am concerned.

Ah, alright then. As has been brought up multiple times, research on Big G is not easy :D Thanks for the info :)

J1-U mount is now available as a general use 1.875m mount. This is in addition to the Atlas III rd180 derived one. Features 1 to 4 nodes and 3 shroud lengths ( style based on a model of the J1U). Pipe can be toggled off of course.

pXYVxSN.png

ejfp4q3.png

wwHVykG.png

fQ1EzSK.png

fHLWbvl.png

hBGCPkT.png

tVN1huY.png

TPkwnCy.png

2 minutes ago, Zorg said:

J1-U mount is now available as a general use 1.875m mount. This is in addition to the Atlas III rd180 derived one. Features 1 to 4 nodes and 3 shroud lengths ( style based on a model of the J1U). Pipe can be toggled off of course.

hBGCPkT.png

I guess I should have just waited a day, huh? 

Also, drop tank agena with a centaur control probe... kinda cursed... I love it and hate it at the same time.

You said you're only doing the engine mount and not the LNG stage right? 

Can someone link something about the RS-X engine?

All I’m getting from google is dead links, car reviews and a single paragraph from astronautix.

5 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

Can someone link something about the RS-X engine?

All I’m getting from google is dead links, car reviews and a single paragraph from astronautix.

RSX.pdf

I'm sure @Pappystein can possibly help you more. 

Edited by GoldForest

I seem to be having a bit of trouble getting the Titan II GLV off the ground in 2.5 rescale, it works fine until I go to separate the 2nd stage and then it begins tumbling uncontrollably, I'm wondering what might be causing this. I have tried using primer vector guidance, and smart A.S.S. to no avail

https://imgur.com/a/0vq4bfY

50 minutes ago, Birdman31 said:

I seem to be having a bit of trouble getting the Titan II GLV off the ground in 2.5 rescale, it works fine until I go to separate the 2nd stage and then it begins tumbling uncontrollably, I'm wondering what might be causing this. I have tried using primer vector guidance, and smart A.S.S. to no avail

Used to happen to me too, the solution was to hotstage the second stage like in real life, basically starting the second stage engine at t-minus 2-3 seconds before first stage shutdown and staging as soon as MECO happens. This allows the stack to maintain constant acceleration and prevents it from tumbling, which I assume happens because of the sudden deceleration from separation.

Edited by Legolas5533
Clarity of text

14 minutes ago, Legolas5533 said:

Used to happen to me too, the solution was to hotstage the second stage like in real life, basically starting the second stage engine at t-minus 2-3 seconds before first stage shutdown and staging as soon as MECO happens. This allows the stack to maintain constant acceleration and prevents it from tumbling, which I assume happens because of the sudden deceleration from separation.

I never hot stage and I don't have this problem. 

21 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I never hot stage and I don't have this problem. 

Oh dang, for me it's practically mandatory, must be a problem on my end then. I am using CRP and usually launch to a 90km orbit most of the time, that may be the issue.

Edited by Legolas5533

1 hour ago, Birdman31 said:

There does seem to be some slight instability with drag, and if you stage while lower in the atmosphere the stage will want to wander off prograde... Not quite full tumbling though, and the engine gimbal should be plenty to control it. And shouldn't be an issue high in the atmosphere. PVG will possibly exacerbate the issue with how it tends to fly at higher AOAs after a while, but if you've also just tried holding prograde with SAS, it really should be fine. And your pic is while in vacuum too, so it seems like perhaps some other mod/patch has broken the engine's gimbal? Would need your KSP.log to see more.

You could try activating the RCS (via right-click menu) on the nose of Gemini, on the 'Reentry Reaction Thrusters', and see if that is enough to regain control.

31 minutes ago, Legolas5533 said:

Oh dang, for me it's practically mandatory, must be a problem on my end then. I am using CRP and usually launch to a 90km orbit most of the time, that may be the issue.

90 is a little low, that's just basically 5km away from the atmosphere. I never shoot for anything lower than 100km.

Your PVG settings can also play a role. You can try shooting for a 75m/s gravity turn start speed and a 0.4 degree per second turn.

Edited by GoldForest