[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 2/13/2022 at 6:50 PM, Beccab said:

The Integrated Program Plan (1969)
Manned martian landing, part two
XGZYEfW.png

This second part of the mission shows on the real focus of the Integrated Program Plan manned mars mission, which is arrival, landing and return. Most of the text here is paraphrased from the original presentation of the IPP to Nixon's space task group which can be found here:
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/19690804_manned_mars_landing_presentation_to_the_space_task_group_by_dr._wernher_von_braun.pdf

The mission starts right from where the last post ended, with the acceleration of the twin spacecrafts  by the two side nuclear shuttles to trans-Mars injection velocity. These are then shut down, separated from the planetary vehicle and then retro-fired to place them on a highly elliptic path returning to the original assembly orbit altitude. After a coast of several days, the nuclear shuttles arrive at the original assembly orbit altitude and are retro-fired again to place them into a circular orbit where they rendevouz with their refuelling depot for reuse in geosynchronous or lunar missions.

Zns6fOL.png

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_03.jpg?w=1024

The ability of man to withstand a zero gravity environment for periods of time exceeding a few weeks was still an unknown at the time. Because of this, the option to provide artificial gravity for the crew during the planetary trip was kept open, and in case early missions indicated the need for artificial gravity the two spaceships could be docked end-to-end and rotated in the plane of the longitudinal axis during extended coast periods.

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_06.jpg?w=1024

During the outbound coast to Mars of approximately nine months, the crew conducts experimental activities such as solar and planetary observations: solar wind measurements, and biological monitoring of the crew, test plants, and animals. At the end of this period, final space vehicle checkout for the Mars orbit insertion maneuver is followed by the retro-fire of the nuclear engine to place the planetary vehicle into an elliptical Mars orbit. The orbit at Mars is elliptical both to reduce fuel requirements for the mission and allow a wider range of planet coverage by optical observations at the cost of requiring a beefier ascent stage on the lander
ETuqahz.png

Reveal hidden contents

MMU inspired from this:
0477_031021_02.jpg

The various Viking landers of IPP provided important clues concerning the existence of life on Mars, but did not fully answer the questions as to the possible pathogenic nature of such life. Hence, on the first manned mission, it was be desirable to obtain surface samples prior to the actual human landing and subsequent contamination of the planet, using 12 sterile sample return probes carried on the transfer spacecrafts.
ROrKk1U.png

9A7uZHF.png

Reveal hidden contents

1979rover2.jpg

Sample gathering and launch:

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_08.jpg?w=1024

Once the analysis has revealed no significant biological hazards, the Mars Excursion Module can then proceed to the surface and the samples could be returned to Earth for more detailed analysis, along with the more selective (but perhaps Earth-contaminated) samples obtained by the crew. It's time for three brave people then board the MEM, undock from the main spacecraft and prepare for reentry
m7S000f.png

Houston, Acidalia base here. The MEM has landed!
0U8HAW8.png

Reveal hidden contents

DuNGMu9VsAEAMz7?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Mars surface activity on the first mission is similar in many ways to the one of Apollo 11. Notable, however, is the much longer stay time (30-60 days per MEM), thus allowing more extensive observations, experimentation and execution of mission scientific objectives. Surface operations include experiments to be performed in the MEM laboratory as well as the external operations on Mars' surface.
fBJrR2P.png

A small, life-support augumentation rover also allows trips to interesting surface features beyond the immediate landing area.

Reveal hidden contents

1091_1022_02.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35520.0;

After 30 days have passed, the crew returns with 90 pounds of samples inside the ascent stage of the MEM and prepares for liftoff. In case the ascent engine doesn't relight and the crew is stranded the second MEM is launched with only one person on a rescue mission; but luckily, that isn't the case here either

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_10.jpg?w=1024

Docking:

At the completion of the 80-day period at Mars, the ascent stage and remaining MEM are discarded and transfer spaceships will begin the return leg of the journey. The nuclear stage is ignited for this propulsive maneuver, boosting each spaceship out of Mars orbit. With the extensive Mars exploration activities behind them, the crew at this point can begin a more thorough analysis of the data and samples gathered at Mars, and prepare for the next major milestone of the trip - a close encounter with the planet Venus.

cIlodow.png

As the twin spacecrafts gain speed and near the closest approach of the Venus flyby, four entry probes are deployed to study the atmosphere of the planet in what is effectively the last phase of the mission before returning to Earth while the crews conduct radar mapping of the surface
B5hfKEF.png

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_15.jpg?w=1024

Two years have passed since the people on board last saw the Earth, and the time has come for the mission to end: the nuclear stages activate for one last time, bringing the crew into LEO to dock to the space base that is waiting for their arrival.
TM9aXj4.png

The year is now 1983: there are orbiters around mars and venus, massive space stations in lunar orbit and GEO, rovers on Mars and more than 50 people have landed on the Moon. And now, the first people in history have returned after setting foot on Mars, with many more to follow.

This is what the Integrated Program Plan was

Oh, and I almost forgot -  here you go
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uH4D8O1CBUDfKZugCmUAIEy0pl9ta3xS?usp=sharing
There's a lot of required mods - Tantares, BDB, OPT, ConformalDecals, Cormorant, Restock, the SSME variants plugin and X-33/Venturestar are the first that come to my mind, but there may be more

I'll try to get it on kerbalx too if necessary

I know I'm a bit late, but could you send a craft file for the MEM over? I love how you've 'BDB-ified' it, and I've been trying to do something like this for ages; it would really help me out! Thanks!

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I'm just going to slide in here and steal the first post of 2024.... working on something more than just text lol, give me a little bit 

YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO COMPLY!!!
Also Happy Earth's Orbit Around the Sun Completion Day!

Here it is, a modern Saturn V take.

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Zxb07Kp.png

ZmFQSxS.png

Engine just won't work man, it just won't work. Engine stuck! ENGINE STUCK! PLEASE! I BEG YOU! (Free Kerbal points to those that get the ref)

AiErjs7.png

Finally! This bug is annoying! The engines just spent a minute doing that stuck in a boot loop bug... I had to listen to the engine ignition sound on repeat for a minute... my ears are now bleeding.

C65tBPZ.png

I9OnHh0.png

Qfc7pzl.png

wMBmVVt.png

hzP5V1x.png

"Jeb, where's the ocean?" - Bob and Bill. 

hQFH58U.png

Mare Smythii

FLO on the moon - circa ~2005. 

image.png

This is my own personal kitbash of FLO - it's a damn cool concept but I get why it was canned. 

Craft files are available upon request! All that's needed is Restock, Planetside Exploration Pack, and procedural parts.

P.S. if it's possible could we get some all white paintjobs for the Saturn tanks/interstages and all blacks for the interstages? Would be useful for recreating the Comet (FLO HLLV) paintjob. And would make me feel less guilty about using Saturn parts late into a KSRSS career save LOL

first lunar outpost comet vehicle artist concept

Edited by Pxtseryu

13 hours ago, Pxtseryu said:

P.S. if it's possible could we get some all white paintjobs for the Saturn tanks/interstages and all blacks for the interstages? Would be useful for recreating the Comet (FLO HLLV) paintjob. And would make me feel less guilty about using Saturn parts late into a KSRSS career save LOL

Seconding, new paint options are always cool.

13 hours ago, Pxtseryu said:

Oo, what's that thing? Looks vaguely AI generated or photoshopped.

21 hours ago, Pxtseryu said:

Mare Smythii

FLO on the moon - circa ~2005. 

image.png

This is my own personal kitbash of FLO - it's a damn cool concept but I get why it was canned. 

Craft files are available upon request! All that's needed is Restock, Planetside Exploration Pack, and procedural parts.

Definitely would like those textures too! 

13 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Seconding, new paint options are always cool.

Oo, what's that thing? Looks vaguely AI generated or photoshopped.

6 hours ago, Pxtseryu said:

Nope, render of the Comet/FLO HLLV when the project was being conceived.

I believe it was an old-school hand photo edit, but the only copies of it floating around are much smaller res. If I had to guess, someone used AI to upscale it. Here is the copy I have:

YrxHSx4.jpg

Does anyone know what causes this glitch? Id assume its an issue with the DeployableEngines plugin but ive already made sure said plugin is up to date.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/oh2w9ooqt5wbi54lywhgq/KSP.log?rlkey=c1kyjr9l4kr04r49r9cr9t634&dl=0

Modlist: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/r63p83ljz9pswpsrwbmsh/modlist.txt?rlkey=mb357kmjnucqaensq6kpr3vo4&dl=0 (Be warned, its a LOOOOONG one)

1 hour ago, tmccreight651 said:

Does anyone know what causes this glitch? Id assume its an issue with the DeployableEngines plugin but ive already made sure said plugin is up to date.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/oh2w9ooqt5wbi54lywhgq/KSP.log?rlkey=c1kyjr9l4kr04r49r9cr9t634&dl=0

Modlist: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/r63p83ljz9pswpsrwbmsh/modlist.txt?rlkey=mb357kmjnucqaensq6kpr3vo4&dl=0 (Be warned, its a LOOOOONG one)

Yeah, I've experienced this quite a number of times, almost every launch with a engine that has an extendable nozzle from BDB. IDK what causes it, but I found what sometimes fixes it is throttle down/off and then wait, or play with the throttle. Time warp also seems to trigger it a lot, so make sure you're outside of time warp when deploying the engine. 

I don`t know if this is the reason. But you have Interstellar Fuel Switch and B9 Part Switch together. As far as I know, the two don't work particularly well together because they both do the same thing. I may be wrong here, but I have already read something about it.

21 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

I don`t know if this is the reason. But you have Interstellar Fuel Switch and B9 Part Switch together. As far as I know, the two don't work particularly well together because they both do the same thing. I may be wrong here, but I have already read something about it.

So if i uninstall one will the other take its place or will that break my craft?

40 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Yeah, I've experienced this quite a number of times, almost every launch with a engine that has an extendable nozzle from BDB. IDK what causes it, but I found what sometimes fixes it is throttle down/off and then wait, or play with the throttle. Time warp also seems to trigger it a lot, so make sure you're outside of time warp when deploying the engine. 

Yeah, that's why i usually just replace the extending engines with a fixed engine with similar stats. But that's annoying because then my ISP suffers.

17 minutes ago, tmccreight651 said:

So if i uninstall one will the other take its place or will that break my craft?

You can test it with a new savegame. I only have B9 PartSwitch and don`t have such problems with extendable engines.

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

Yeah, that's why i usually just replace the extending engines with a fixed engine with similar stats. But that's annoying because then my ISP suffers.

49 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

You can test it with a new savegame. I only have B9 PartSwitch and don`t have such problems with extendable engines.

It's definitely not interstellar fuel switch, I can tell you that. I don't have that mod and I still get the bug. It's a bug inside BDB, the models or deployable engines. But we need deployable engines for the engines to work, so it's unfixable really... 

7 hours ago, tmccreight651 said:

Had this happen before too so I'll big-bold my fix:

To fix the engine deployment bug, hold alt and turn to 4x physical time warp, then press x to end the warp, and the engine should successfully activate.

On 1/3/2024 at 4:38 PM, tmccreight651 said:

IFS is outdated and completely obsolete. I don't know whether it's causing this issue but I can guarantee it will be causing other issues for you. There is never a reason to have it installed.