[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Would it be possible to make a 2.5m Atlas-V boattail/engine mount to use with other engines? Feels weird to have an external pipe that leads nothing.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LilTajine said:

Hey @Zorg , just wanted to inform you, it does seem that the Atlas V heavy side nodes are unavailable when we select them, they don't seem to appear, is it normal? OBV not Game breaker, just wanted to know

The toggle only toggles a single node, which is used for attaching the radial cores to the decouplers. The decouplers are surface attached to the central core with no nodes. You can also surface attach the radial boosters to the decoupler, there's invisible attachment colliders on the decoupler which provide the correct distance from the core stage.

3 hours ago, OHN said:

Would it be possible to make a 2.5m Atlas-V boattail/engine mount to use with other engines? Feels weird to have an external pipe that leads nothing.

Generic engine mount is already planned afaik

Edited by Rodger

26 minutes ago, BorfoandShnogs said:

Hello! Since the GEM-63XL SRB was recently added to the mod's development branch, I was wondering if this also means we'll be seeing the Vulcan come to BDB in the near future, as well as the Centaur V upper stage?

@NoLifeJordan has a vulcan mod for KSP Link

1 hour ago, BorfoandShnogs said:

Hello! Since the GEM-63XL SRB was recently added to the mod's development branch, I was wondering if this also means we'll be seeing the Vulcan come to BDB in the near future, as well as the Centaur V upper stage?

No plans for Vulcan. The XL was just an easy modification to the model and something fun to play with. 

5 hours ago, OHN said:

A generic separate mount for use with other engines is planned. Both with and without pipe. Probably with 1,2 and 4 node options. 

3 hours ago, BorfoandShnogs said:

There's also this:

23 hours ago, GoldForest said:

So @CobaltWolf and @Zorg, what's next on the agenda for you guys after X-15 and Atlas?

Another Titan update? More probes? 

Maybe X-37B for Atlas V? Strangely enough, there is no mod for it, so we have to resort for kitbashes such as above (beautiful one BTW!).

On 6/8/2024 at 2:11 PM, GoldForest said:

So @CobaltWolf and @Zorg, what's next on the agenda for you guys after X-15 and Atlas?

Another Titan update? More probes? 

RE Titan, I do not presume to speak for the BDB team, but in my opinion the art still holds up mostly WELL... a few minor nitpicks that might be made better but it is already of the same basic art generation as the new Atlas V parts...

I would rather see some of the more oddball stuff not in "publics mind"  things like the Titan Transfer vehicle (which is an honest to goodness weird alternative to Transtage)  or baring that, maybe some ab-historic parts that fit the current Atlas/Delta/Titan art styles.   We can always use more interesting parts..   RE new rockets, don't see a need.   We have two good mods for Vulcan.  And well this is a mod mostly about the 60s,70,80s space flight and 80s is BARELY there.   Atlas V and latter Delta IV were "larks" if you will that do not fit with the timeline on their own of the rest of BDB.

Posted (edited)

1UH73EA.png

@Entr8899@GoldForest

This is just someones random artwork (I doubt the MSFC tag is legit)   But this is all I have AT THE MOMENT

Yes that is a Titan LR87-AJ-9 (I specifically remember it being a -9 because better low altitude thrust then the then only AJ-11 High altutide bell, Latter the AJ-11 got 2 bells.)
The tanks are IIRC 2nd stage Titan II tanks 2 each oxidizer and 2 each Fuel  The interstages are GONE and structural re-enforcement rings are added.

Edited by Pappystein

13 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

RE Titan, I do not presume to speak for the BDB team, but in my opinion the art still holds up mostly WELL... a few minor nitpicks that might be made better but it is already of the same basic art generation as the new Atlas V parts...

Titan indeed holds well, and doesn't need a graphic revamp.

However, it follows the stock "butt+engine - decoupler" logic, and not the modern BDB's "butt - engine - interstage" logic. Basically, it needs a "re-cut", so to speak.

Posted (edited)

Ok Followup.   Had a quick discussion with some other people on the Shuttle Booster and also referenced my copy of Jenkins on Shuttle.

The name is Titan Liquid Booster Module   TLBM or LBM.   The art in my previous post is MOSTLY Legit.   Two tanks would actually be shorter than the other two to avoid excess gaseous vapor in the tanks during acceleration.  Long story short, it was designed to make Shuttle a Polar orbitable vehicle without going to extremes in weightloss.  Instead we got light weight ET and Extra Light Weight ET and Composite SRM.

MzVIOjG.png

If you look closely you can see that the bottom left and upper right tanks are longer than the Upper left and lower right.

Edited by Pappystein

Posted (edited)

bLZJNNJ.png

So I didn't have a B-70 for this... But I thought I would share the B-70 + X-15D launcher.     But I did do THIS:

Spoiler

JL9NzON.jpg

This is literally All I could build that would carry the X-15 aloft as a plane.  that is 16 of the 0.625m Dia Jet engines... Parachute is for post separation recovery of the carrier by StagedRecovery (it was recovered via powered landing so Yay)

dsdtb5y.jpg

Surprisingly, using the X-15A's tail-plane as a canard on the X-15D made it into a superior glider.   This is me returning after my first launch.  KSC is directly under the X-15 in this aircraft   Note if you do this DISABLE PITCH on the elevons as it will cause the X-15 to snap roll!  (controls probably need to move a little faster with less amount of movement for the Elevons, I need to test that further)

my8KtwJ.jpg

Launched via SuperRedstone (quad A-7 rockets + Castor I SRMs)   The bulk of Super Redstone is standard tankage, but just above the Quad A7 I switch to the 1.25-1.5m Thor tank to get the Quad A7s what they need.   Full Pitch DOWN needs to be applied at launch in this config (the Rocket is tipping 1 click or about 5 degrees on it's back    If you don't apply Full pitch down you flip over and belly flop (literally land on the belly of the X-15... about 800 yards/meters away from the Launch pad facing the VAB.... Not a fun flight for Poor Jeb.

Revert and here is my landing...  Noticed this on the first landing of this craft but missed the opprotunity to take the picture...

3DiNU9R.jpg

Because I was doing EXACTLY what the parachutes say I should be doing!

FWIW the NAA Proposal to turn XB-70 #3 into a Space launcher included a Gemini Launch vehicle... utilizing a Highly modified Titan II First stage and a directly attached Gemini capsule   

Edited by Pappystein

Posted (edited)

Small QoL request here:

dEPvef5.png

Can we get an optional booster node on the OTHER side of CCB?

Because reasons. Six of them, to be precise.

Raceway and pipe shouldn't clip... I think.

Edited by biohazard15

@Zorg So next is CELV, yeah? Or are going to save that for later?

I don’t want to bug you when you just gave us something new to play with but I’m really looking forward to that one.

I honestly don't think Titan needs a refresh, is looking quite good and works fine.

There are still other probes and vehicles to do IMHO. Perhaps early missiles or even probes of the 70's / 80's / 90's. Pioneer venus, Voyager, Galileo and others. Also some other Hughes probes and commercial satellites of the 60s and 70s :D Maybe some Mariner Mark II stuff . . .

Yeah, somehow I want even more probes but I'm very happy with what we have right now, BDB is amazing. And now that we have Mariner 8/9 :cool:

4 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Small QoL request here:

dEPvef5.png

Can we get an optional booster node on the OTHER side of CCB?

Because reasons. Six of them, to be precise.

Raceway and pipe shouldn't clip... I think.

The heavy decoupler will fully work with surface attachment too, theres special invisible colliders so surface attaching a radial core will correctly attach to the decouplers. Your plans are already technically feasible, though the decoupler struts will probably clip. And anyway the node is positioned so the posts at the bottom of the decoupler align with the SRB mounting holes on the radial core engine mount too, so more nodes in any other position won’t be suitable anyway.

3 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

@Zorg So next is CELV, yeah? Or are going to save that for later?

I don’t want to bug you when you just gave us something new to play with but I’m really looking forward to that one.

It is on the to-do, though maybe only the tankage, may be keeping the current engine mount. 

6 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I would rather see some of the more oddball stuff not in "publics mind"  things like the Titan Transfer vehicle (which is an honest to goodness weird alternative to Transtage)  or baring that, maybe some ab-historic parts that fit the current Atlas/Delta/Titan art styles.   We can always use more interesting parts..   RE new rockets, don't see a need.   We have two good mods for Vulcan.  And well this is a mod mostly about the 60s,70,80s space flight and 80s is BARELY there.   Atlas V and latter Delta IV were "larks" if you will that do not fit with the timeline on their own of the rest of BDB.

I wasn't saying the Titan needs and update. I was just throwing that out there as a spitball list. 

Did Someone Say XB-70 mothership?

dKD5rev.pngThe original isn't mine, I cant find a download link and sadly I can't figure out how to add variable geometry wings, but...u06xwn7.pngstill...lk0FLcz.pngeven if it does cook the crew...IzH0uuN.pngI like it.

Edited by zakkpaz

I started a new install in KSRSS Reborn with Blackrack's clouds. After getting all my mods re-installed I started to get this error:

jgLRwj8.jpg

I tried re-installing BDB and realplume to see if it would resolve the issue but neither worked. I could've sworn I've seen someone else with this error in the past, but I couldn't find it when searching.

Here is my KSP Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/i2hxpuesbp29ofpkvbl06/KSP.log?rlkey=9h3wwgs9une7iz8h6ur5e45su&st=bb4mxmmx&dl=0

And my MM Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/k6wp963oci4v0rcho3p44/ModuleManager.log?rlkey=ryvniubez2cex7r84044zizl3&st=kid0dbiv&dl=0

Edited by Spike88

1 hour ago, Spike88 said:

I started a new install in KSRSS Reborn with Blackrack's clouds. After getting all my mods re-installed I started to get this error:

jgLRwj8.jpg

I tried re-installing BDB and realplume to see if it would resolve the issue but neither worked. I could've sworn I've seen someone else with this error in the past, but I couldn't find it when searching.

Here is my KSP Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/i2hxpuesbp29ofpkvbl06/KSP.log?rlkey=9h3wwgs9une7iz8h6ur5e45su&st=bb4mxmmx&dl=0

And my MM Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/k6wp963oci4v0rcho3p44/ModuleManager.log?rlkey=ryvniubez2cex7r84044zizl3&st=kid0dbiv&dl=0

Oh I've been getting this same error, but haven't had any issues with it.

Atlas V stage and a half. Skirt jettison at 50% fuel remaining in lower tank. (I set the top tank to drain first). Or 3.1Gs. This leaves Altas with a 1.10 TWR and just under 2 minutes of fuel. Sustainer engine is a H-2 upgraded variant with more thrust. Can get an Agena into a 150km x 150km equatorial orbit.  

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

DbPzVix.png

QqgY3Gi.png

HMECOua.png

B1POdgm.png

bQ4yciI.png