[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

OH I forgot about this part. Wish it was a docking piece itself instead of being a row of parts nodes. Though it's probably supposed to go with the flat construction ports that also got added, the small ones.

The Near Future suite (I think NF Construction but it could be in a different portion) has linear docking ports in at least 2 different sizes. That may or may not satisfy your current docking needs.

1 hour ago, DeadJohn said:

The Near Future suite (I think NF Construction but it could be in a different portion) has linear docking ports in at least 2 different sizes. That may or may not satisfy your current docking needs.

Taco is using one of the NF docking ports. I was just wondering why they didn't use the actual S-II docking ports, and they just forgot about it. 

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

Will the Titan first and second stage fuel tanks be consolidated into B9PS length switches too?

Give it time, Rodger has to create whole new configs for the parts, and it can be a lengthy process making sure you get everything correct.  Seems they are doing the most difficult parts first, i.e. the engines since they have so many part switches to them. The Tanks should come next. 

Also @Rodger, The interstage seems to start on No fairing, just the decoupler, but the model displays the Titan II interstage.

Edited by GoldForest

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Give it time, Rodger has to create whole new configs for the parts, and it can be a lengthy process making sure you get everything correct.  Seems they are doing the most difficult parts first, i.e. the engines since they have so many part switches to them. The Tanks should come next. 

Yeah it's going to take some time for the dust to settle on these changes, there's a lot to do.

Also worth pointing out, there's a subtle but key difference between GitHub commits that are for playing with, and GitHub commits that are us passing half-done updates between each other. (The latter are often mine...)

18 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah it's going to take some time for the dust to settle on these changes, there's a lot to do.

Also worth pointing out, there's a subtle but key difference between GitHub commits that are for playing with, and GitHub commits that are us passing half-done updates between each other. (The latter are often mine...)

True, but those updates are mixed in with each other most of the time, so you got to take the half-done parts with the "For playing" commits. Besides, lets me play with the shiny new parts and comment on things you need to improve on them, even though you probably already did that. :P Note: I don't comment on parts unless it's a major bug that should be fixed ASAP. I'm just joking around with the comment.

Edited by GoldForest

Just now, GoldForest said:

True, but those updates are mixed in with each other most of the time, so you got to take the half-done parts with the "For playing" commits. Besides, lets me play with the shiny new parts and comment on things you need to improve on them, even though you probably already did that. :P Note: I don't comment on parts unless it's a major bug that should be fixed ASAP. I'm just joking around with the comment.

Reporting bugs will liquid me off, but finding a bug years later that everyone knew about but didn't tell me will liquid me off more.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

It will get done when it gets done.   Honestly I appreciate that you and the rest of the team are transparent this way.    I am sure it leads to aggravation but over all the simple clarity of what you are doing when you are able to post it is a positive thing to my mind

So I have spent 9 hours on and off today working on the hypergolic Patch.  Turns out... my patch never worked as intended (and either I was too stubborn or no one informed me of such an issue.) 

Current status is I have everything working as intended.  Kerolox is Kerolox,  LH2 is LH2 and AZ50 is AZ50... EXCEPT I still have to work out the LR91 because the Verniers are their own thrust transform and my patch currently RANDOMLY fixes one of them.

It aint true unless there are photos.   Red (Chayrol red) tanks are AZ50 filled, Orange tank is LH2/O (engine was setup wrong it works fine) and White and Black is Kerolox

byNvZC1.jpg

Left two Engines are LR87_Single
Then next to are the LR91s (you can't really see but the Verniers are burning on one of them... like I said that part of the patch still needs "WORK"
Then LR87AJ5K,
LR87-AJ-9
LR87-AJ-5
LR87-AJ-11A with Foil insulation
The Orange tank is LR87-LH2 but I accidentally had it set on LR87-AJ-5
Then LR91-AJ-11K(1Vernier)
LR91-AJ-11A (1 Vernier)
and finally Transtage

On 7/2/2024 at 10:51 PM, DaveyJ576 said:

Hello! To answer your question, I thought I would post pics of my Saturn I Block 1 rockets. Building these is relatively easy, but you have to go outside of BDB to get the right parts. I used a combination of BDB and Stock/Restock parts and Tweakscale to build these. If you are new to KSP you will be amazed at what you can build if you have the right parts mods!

o4zlsqd.jpeg

This represents Saturn I flights SA-1, 2, and 3. I usually short fuel the first stage in order to get semi-realistic historical flight performance. The top two parts are Stock/Restock, the middle cone is actually the BDB Soltan nose cone. The rest are BDB parts with a fairing to represent the tapered portion above the first stage.

nq3zVTw.jpeg

This is flight SA-4. The "2nd stage" tank is the same one used for the S-IV stage, just with the white paint scheme. I put on some ullage motors and retro rockets to get close to the historical configuration. The upper parts are the same as the SA-1 version. Play around with the parts and you will get it!

By the way, if you use a lot of parts mods like I do, I can highly recommend the mod Janitor's Closet. It allows you to filter out the parts that you don't want to see in the VAB, without actually deleting them. The mod really helps to sort through the thousands of parts that I have in my VAB. It is invaluable.

damn thats good

31 minutes ago, Ganyymeede said:

I did the worst thing imaginable to an Atlas SLV-3C.

Hide contents

Biltikg.pngzTLvU0p.pngv9aR9ZU.png

Nice job making sure the boosters were attached to the skirt and interstage. 

I wonder if irl the boosters would have gave enough rigidity to the Atlas to be viable.

Also, that pour skirt during booster sep...

Also also, no insulation Centaur... cursed.

Edited by GoldForest

19 hours ago, munman19 said:

How do you deploy the LRV? The hinge at the very bottom isn't working. I might just be bad at robotics though.

Do you have Breaking Ground?

4 hours ago, Ganyymeede said:

I did the worst thing imaginable to an Atlas SLV-3C.

That is so cool yet makes me so uncomfortable. 

Finally started work on the switches for X-15. Here's the black inconel variant, which will be joining the default blue.

A6ewko2.png

And here's the ablative-coated version for X-15A-2, perhaps better known as the 'white X-15'.

jOOmHZE.png

There's a lot of work left to do for the ablative version to really nail the look of the real thing, but this is a good start I think.

C6jBaCd.jpeg

A small detail, but my copy of Hypersonic noted that there was a different pitot tube affixed to the ablative-coated version. I've included that in the switch. I'll have Rodger look into increasing the thermal tolerances of these part variants; I doubt adding ablative to all the parts would be good in game but might be fun for recreations...

L2cS9Jb.png      atefjp1.png

These switches aren't available for all parts yet, and as I said the ablative version is subject to further improvements. Things like multiple drop tank paint variants will come later down the line.

DbenWtn.png

h3WVNel.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 minutes ago, Socowez said:

I see this word everywhere to refer to a shade of red, but why is this word only used around BDB? did you guys just make up a word for a color? Google only returns KSP stuff

It's a reference to Dylansemrau's mod Chrayol Design Org. - ISRO Mod, which adds India's rockets. The Chrayol has a red and white paint scheme. 

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Finally started work on the switches for X-15. Here's the black inconel variant, which will be joining the default blue.

And here's the ablative-coated version for X-15A-2, perhaps better known as the 'white X-15'.

There's a lot of work left to do for the ablative version to really nail the look of the real thing, but this is a good start I think.

A small detail, but my copy of Hypersonic noted that there was a different pitot tube affixed to the ablative-coated version. I've included that in the switch. I'll have Rodger look into increasing the thermal tolerances of these part variants; I doubt adding ablative to all the parts would be good in game but might be fun for recreations...

Looks great! Great job as always!

And wait... White Ablator? Really?