[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Exciting test run for scientists in the planned Eve flyby - Saturn I lifts off with a centaur upper stage converted into a relay satellite and a small lander using a PIBS upper stage as a deorbit engine. The landers bus is from an old agena stage that was scrapped. Currently in a 6 day elliptical equatorial orbit awaiting the right time for detachment and deorbit maneuver while keeping the centaur relay available for exploration of Gilly if dV permits :cool: First time for one of my BDB-inspired probes to make it to Eve

3iMlG5C.png

xKDZ8A1.png

22 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

People are asking you to remove the pics from your quotes so they don't bloat up the thread. I'd appreciate it as well.

And yes, the legs will also be available separately.

I was having a bit of fun rendering it, so I decided to do a bit more... now I feel like I have to make one for everything! T.T

re4xTMB.png

GIMME THAT LANDER RIGHT NOW.

1 hour ago, _Augustus_ said:

GIMME THAT LANDER RIGHT NOW.

No.

1 hour ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

@CobaltWolfAlso, in the latest release, what happened to the extending-nozzle RL10 and the old RL10?

Dunno.

More Saturn V progress. Trying to get all the little chips and scratches in to break it up a bit. Can't wait to finally get some normal and spec maps on this thing...

fKlY4RH.png

L4rhR0b.png

@CobaltWolf: Got something else to show you:

CNKEk6e.png

384P8BF.png

Found these in one of the linked documents

The latter of which I've been trying to find a good image of the wheels from the side, but so far no luck. 

Honestly @CobaltWolf: if you do the MOLAB, just make the wheels slightly different mesh wise from the LRV, and scale them up.

EDIT: 

michelin_lunartire01.jpg

I found this on just a google search of "Lunar Roving laboratory." Looks similar but not exact.

Edited by davidy12

21 minutes ago, akron said:

How about a tiny bit more color variation on the F1? A little bit of bronze on the nozzle and lighter, more silver on the exhaust manifold that wraps around the nozzle. Just to break up the dark grey a bit with some highlights and what not.

Like in this picture.

Looking good, yo.

I'll see what it looks like with proper normal and spec maps, but it does definitely need a bit more juice right now.

I finally flew my Ranger mission, after numerous crashes and several reverts due to catastrophic issues.

Spoiler

2CgGSUi.png

Launch of Ranger 1 on an Atlas-Agena rocket (Screw you, I'm calling it by it's real name).

U0A3sEx.png

TLI with the Agena. Gotta say, this Agena is pretty nice, I look forward to using it with Project Gemini.

FSRpLzd.png

Ranger on the trans-lunar voyage. It has a digital camera, a gieger counter, and a micrometeorite detector on board.

TmWTPjS.png

Closing in on the Moon. The Ocean of Storms is prominently visible in this photo, along with a small sliver of the far side, nearly shrouded in darkness.

w7RbcJg.png

I wasn't planning on attempting an impact with this mission. I'm new to dealing with the inclined orbits of RSS/SSRSS, so I decided to use the mission to attempt a much closer flyby of the Moon instead, with a pass over the far side. Fortunately, this is exactly what happened. I was able to fine-tune the approach with the Agena and make mid-course corrections with Ranger's engine.

is0oKhX.png

After the flyby Ranger began the next phase of its mission; to enter a heliocentric orbit and continue to transmit to Earth as long as its hardware holds out. While still in Earth's gravitational influence it made one last burn with its engine, speeding up its departure and setting the perihelion of its final orbit around the level of Venus.

Saturn hype tax:

Spoiler

1973-KSC-373C-545-29.jpg

25888612886_dd38821ea9_b.jpg

Apollo_11_Lunar_Module_Eagle_in_landing_configuration_in_lunar_orbit_from_the_Command_and_Service_Module_Columbia.jpg

Gumdrop_Meets_Spider_-_GPN-2000-001100.jpg

Well, more like a Saturn hype image dump, but it's fine, hype is hype, no matter how large.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well, I had big plans for this evening - but a phone call from work has whisked my friend on a flight to Chicago to manage a concert! I guess it's for the best - more time to work on BDB :rolleyes:

Streaming on Twitch right now!

That explains why you didn't respond on Steam. I swear I checked Twitch and you weren't streaming.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@pTrevTrevs nice pics! Why did you turn the batteries for the backsides faced out..?

I just built the same probe the other day (not nearly as nice as his) and I did exactly the same thing the first time. They look backwards when you put them on correctly.

3 hours ago, Jso said:

I just built the same probe the other day (not nearly as nice as his) and I did exactly the same thing the first time. They look backwards when you put them on correctly.

21 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

This is basically it, they didn't look right when they were on the way they were supposed to go.

Ok, I see. A couple months ago I changed the part.cfg's description to try and avoid confusion, and I forgot to upload it to Github. I just made the edit but I feel like the wording could be clearer.

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/master/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/bluedog_rangerBattery.cfg

1 hour ago, Cdw2468 said:

Looks great, I didn't see it on the roadmap

It's not mine.

EDIT: Hey, forgot to post some pics from last night! The S-II engine mount got a bunch of work done, and is most of the way there! I need to add some more greebling to it but I'm glad with this basic version. J2 still isn't done, don't worry.

ldVtDYM.png

Tmxh13w.png

EDIT2: Tried to make some quick adjustments to the textures, I think I like the tan tank ends better. Also added some more wires to the exterior.

dxzjVIT.png

Edited by CobaltWolf