[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Out of curiosity, and this more goes for the thread regulars and not people just now coming across the mod, but do you actually need those names changed in order to understand what parts go where? :P

I don't, the pictures in the manual and part descriptions are usually good enough. What I'd really like is an optional patch that changes all the fictional names to real names.

Just now, PickledTripod said:

I don't, the pictures in the manual and part descriptions are usually good enough. What I'd really like is an optional patch that changes all the fictional names to real names.

Wha... I... T-Th-That's what we're talking about.

On 10/14/2016 at 0:17 AM, CobaltWolf said:

I accidentally switched gears again.Y'all should start learning to take what you can get from my now, I'm a rebel with no release roadmap cause.

Kānaloa! Note that it still has the Apollo decoupler in these shots. It will be replaces with a same height/size control block without a decoupler. You also get AARDV Tug once that control block is in, since it's just sticking an Apollo docking port directly on top of it in place of the cargo module. I guess the block 2 version has a CADS port instead?

Yeah, Block II Aardvark (like the Block IV Mission Module) has a CADS port on the station side. See here.

On 7/20/2016 at 5:50 PM, akron said:

ETS: The Original?

23562877.jpg

Oh boy...you wouldn't believe the number of times I've seen that book. If Workable Goblin and I had had any idea how popular Eyes would end up being, we would have worked harder on coming up with a title that was more Google unique. On the other hand, if we'd thought that, we might have done more work to make some of the less well-justified changes in Part I better, and then it'd be butterflies all the way up. Back on the gripping hand, it's not like the working title for my new project is a lot better at the moment...

On 7/20/2016 at 11:51 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Probably not going to do that. There is little to no external differences. Unless @e of pi shows up to justify it... :P

I'm here, a bit late getting to notification. :) Anyway...yeah, they're pretty much identical. There's some cockpit control changes between Block III+ and Block IV, but nothing particularly externally visible. I wouldn't recommend bothering.

On 10/18/2016 at 11:58 AM, Angel-125 said:

I came up with the Aardvark after realizing that I needed a way to rearm my fighters. To speed things up, I used as many models that I'd already built as possible, like the service module and the 15-foot station model segment. I did a lot of research and discovered that Japan's cargo freighter had a section open to space, and found a pdf on NASA's AARDV. Putting it all together, I came up with the Aardvark. Then I realized that the missiles could be fired from their rotary storage rack, so the resupply craft could be a missile boat as well. Vigilance then had a way to become a missile cruiser and a carrier. :)

USAVVigilancecallouts.jpg

Good luck flying Vigilance, she's probably unbalanced, heh. :) Anyway, I did a lot of research for Contact Lost to make it semi-plausible (ignoring the fact that captured fire elementals powered the nuclear reactors- the existence of magic is a highly kept secret). My guess is that ETS had the same research and inspiration. It doesn't take much to put two and two together, especially when NASA has an acronym like AARDV. There is a lot of research material out there to draw from, and of course that research influences KSP as well. :)

Yeah, it looks like a case of convergent evolution in design and pun. In both cases, the material was too good to get used only once. :) I think yours is longer--it looks like it uses a stock Block II SM, where mine uses the shorter LEO-only SM from Block III/III+ in Eyes? You definitely have solar panels while Aardvark and Apollo in Eyes stay with solar arrays through constantly being the lowest priority any time they upgrade (since the upgrades tended to line up with other massive expenditures like Spacelab, Freedom, etc).

Edited by e of pi
The quote interface is annoying.

1 hour ago, e of pi said:

Yeah, Block II Aardvark (like the Block IV Mission Module) has a CADS port on the station side. See here.

Oh boy...you wouldn't believe the number of times I've seen that book. If Workable Goblin and I had had any idea how popular Eyes would end up being, we would have worked harder on coming up with a title that was more Google unique. On the other hand, if we'd thought that, we might have done more work to make some of the less well-justified changes in Part I better, and then it'd be butterflies all the way up. Back on the gripping hand, it's not like the working title for my new project is a lot better at the moment...

I'm here, a bit late getting to notification. :) Anyway...yeah, they're pretty much identical. There's some cockpit control changes between Block III+ and Block IV, but nothing particularly externally visible. I wouldn't recommend bothering.

Yeah, it looks like a case of convergent evolution in design and pun. In both cases, the material was too good to get used only once. :) I think yours is longer--it looks like it uses a stock Block II SM, where mine uses the shorter LEO-only SM from Block III/III+ in Eyes? You definitely have solar panels while Aardvark and Apollo in Eyes stay with solar arrays through constantly being the lowest priority any time they upgrade (since the upgrades tended to line up with other massive expenditures like Spacelab, Freedom, etc).

I bet you don't have fire elemental-powered fusion reactors though. :wink:

20 hours ago, IronCretin said:

Does anybody know the real name, or a name I could use for the Gemini supply pod?

20 hours ago, Drakenex said:

"Gemini Supply Craft" Sounds OK to me

I can perhaps answer your question, although it may be a bit of a let down. I sketched out what would become the Leo-M-ARP "Augustus" pod based on a basic render Cobalt made on a lark ages ago. As it turned out, @TimothyC later found an interesting NASA document and after I had dug through it (the report was 226 pages long) I found an odd reference. There were separate references to both "Striped Gemini" (Normal Gemini but with out seats or life support and remote guidance added) and a proposed "Specific Design". We had inadvertently created a stand in for the Specific Design. The trouble is this, it was only ever called just that, Specific Design and nothing like it ever made it to even the design phase. As a result we have no idea what it would have looked like or what it would have been called. The other thing that I learned from this and other documents was that most references to Cargo Gemini or Supply Gemini were in fact referring to the unmanned Striped Gemini or the manned Ferry/Supply Gemini. So @IronCretin the answer to your question is that its real name (or as close as I can find) is Specific Design.

The NASA document for reference. Link

(P.S. I like references.)

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

14 hours ago, e of pi said:

Yup! I believe we were wondering about the AARDV Tugs that would have been used for Freedom. They would have had to be CADS since they'd be docked to the ports that the Apollos would eventually dock with.

Yeah I had no idea about that book until someone posted it. I'll have to keep a watch for your new project!

I knew you'd show up eventually. :wink: I solved it by adding a second version of the capsule with the stats changed, and giving it the matte white Skylab style thermal control paintjob. I then made it so the player can switch between the matte white and the classic base metal appearance, on both capsule, thanks to  @Angel-125's plugin.

13 hours ago, e of pi said:

Occasionally! @Workable Goblin is actually around more, protected by the anonymity of nobody ever remembering he helped write ETS, which has always bugged me.

Well thanks for tagging him! Maybe he'll see it. I think around here it's mostly just cus everyone knows that you have an account here, and you tend to be more public/talkative whenever I see you. I have two co-authors that people forget about a lot too :wink:

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I knew you'd show up eventually. :wink: I solved it by adding a second version of the capsule with the stats changed, and giving it the matte white Skylab style thermal control paintjob. I then made it so the player can switch between the matte white and the classic base metal appearance, on both capsule, thanks to  @Angel-125's plugin.

Yeah, the only major visual difference is between the original Block I/II Apollo (with the long lunar orbital SM) and the shorter LEO-only SM of Block III, III+, and IV. And then the one with solar panels for Block V.

3 hours ago, e of pi said:

Yeah, the only major visual difference is between the original Block I/II Apollo (with the long lunar orbital SM) and the shorter LEO-only SM of Block III, III+, and IV. And then the one with solar panels for Block V.

Yup! I mostly made them default to different paint jobs so that they could be told apart in the VAB part list. All the other bits (SMs, MMs, solar panels, different HGAs, etc) are coming soon too. :)

2 hours ago, Jall said:

Launch of SA-9

Very nice!

~Update~

Look-y what I found...

x32chgN.png

Hrmmmm.... Wonder what it could be for?

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yup! I mostly made them default to different paint jobs so that they could be told apart in the VAB part list. All the other bits (SMs, MMs, solar panels, different HGAs, etc) are coming soon too. :)

Very nice!

~Update~

Look-y what I found...

Hrmmmm.... Wonder what it could be for?

Uh...what exactly did you find?