[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

11 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Many of the docking ports in BDB have a feature called two stage docking. The first stage is a soft docking, bringing the ports into contact but without locking on. The second is a hard dock where the two vessels merge.

Hmm, last night I was doing this, and I could get all three types soft docked, but not hard docked. Now I can get the Kane and MOS-DM hard docked, but still not the CADS (I'm using an active and a passive).

Spoiler

UN2wFX9.png

Soft Docked.

jYAB2dE.png

Retracted. Should be hard docked, but vessels not merged.

s0XjHkm.png

My testing setup. I can get all but the CADS ports to merge the vessels (they have been decoupled).

With all the new people using the mod who haven't been following it through dev, perhaps the docking procedure for each set of docking ports should be added to the manual.

Definitely, I went to the manual first, but couldn't find anything.

On a side note, does anyone know of a mod with soft docking ports 2.5m+? These are fantastic (when they work).

EDIT: I just got the CADS ports to dock in my test setup, but I've done the same thing many times? It is now consistently docking in my test setup. It seems to be that the docking port needs to be fully extended before coming into contact with the passive port. It seams that I was continually extending and then retracting after I attempted to dock.

Edited by Immabed
Figured out how to dock.

1 hour ago, munlander1 said:

No go everything retracted, Tryed to dock and nothing.

I have made a small tutorial for the MOS docking procedure. Try these steps and if it's still not working it may be a bug.

Remember, you may have to switch craft to retract the second ring.

http://imgur.com/a/iGA3S

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

9 hours ago, -VETTE said:

[Snipped]

Look up Saturn MLV on google and you'll see all the concepts. In fact, some variants are even on the craft repo in the OP, with more coming soon(tm).

Edited by minepagan
Oops

Is there a drouge that I some how missed. I looked into the Apollo docking mechanism and i saw a drouge that the probe attached to and pulled the craft together into a hard dock. Is this my problem?

3 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I have made a small tutorial for the MOS docking procedure. 

http://imgur.com/a/iGA3S

And very nice tutorial

7 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Is there a drouge that I some how missed. I looked into the Apollo docking mechanism and i saw a drouge that the probe attached to and pulled the craft together into a hard dock. Is this my problem?

And very nice tutorial

... Yes. :wink:

Busy weekend everyone! I'll try and answer all the other questions tomorrow!

On October 22, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Daelkyr said:

Since Kopernicus has been updated I've been testing out Saturn and Titan rockets in 3.2x and 2x solar systems. The Saturn 1B and Titan II GLV both come in around 5000 m/s delta v. The problem is that this won't reach orbit in a 3.2x system rescale because of the increase in delta v required. The rescale puts the requirement at 5724 m/s, leaving both launch vehicles short of the goal. The x2 scale works for them, although both are squeakers at 4525 m/s. I did end up restoring the Saturn 1B to pre-lessening fuel amounts to have it top out at 5000 m/s.

I don't think this is a bug, just the way things are balanced.

Hide contents

Using KSP Delta-V maps show that an 80km LKO altitude needs 3400 m/s dv.

Caculating an increase in dv by multiplying the base by the square root of the rescale 

LKO (80km)  x1 Scale 3200 m/s dv
LKO (80km)  x2 Scale 4525 m/s dv
LKO (80km)  x3.2 Scale 5724 m/s dv

You are correct that things are a bit iffy for the moment. The folks doing the rescale balancing are being drowned in RL for the next bit or so. It is entirely on the radar, however.

Other factors you may or may not find are that the atmosphere isn't being rescaled quite right, if using Sigma Dimensions. We also don't have FAR yet, either, which I have always run with rescales, and it's throwing me off during testing.

At the current moment, saturn balance for 6.4x is close to working. It's not ready for prime time, but once that one is nailed down, the smaller rescales should be more approachable. Best bet for the mean time is to check the rescale folder in the compatibility folder for hints. GLV in particular has some goodies you may find quite useful... (Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain in the saturn.cfg though ><) Additionally, for saturn in particular, check engine mounts for excess ballast, and feel free to trim from them fairly safely if dV is an issue. Just know that that is all in mega-flux at the moment :) 

tldr, yep, you're right. It's loud and clear on the radar, but time is a factor.

Edited by komodo

*honest applause!*

It looks quite cool, i'm looking forward to taking it through config hell taking it for a spin soon! :D

And, I needed my lol for the day, which the naming theme provided nicely, bravo!

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

~Vega Upper Stage Beta~

-snip-

Oh, a shiny metal rocket stage! Very nice.

But you know what I'd like to put on top of my Atlas, or maybe on a Titan or even Saturn?

A nice hydrolox stage with expander cycle engines and balloon tanks with a 2.5m option.

Like, you know, something that used to be in your pack until you decided that the textures weren't pretty enough...

2 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

But you know what I'd like to put on top of my Atlas, or maybe on a Titan or even Saturn?

A nice hydrolox stage with expander cycle engines and balloon tanks with a 2.5m option.

Like, you know, something that used to be in your pack until you decided that the textures weren't pretty enough...

*Insert Reaction Image of Morgan Freeman pointing up with the caption: He's right you know*

4 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

1 hour ago, akron said:

*Insert Reaction Image of Morgan Freeman pointing up with the caption: He's right you know*

Yeah yeah. Waiting to feel inspired to finish those; the models are mostly done. And they'll be easier since I don't have to do an engine along with them. (at least, not at first; I still need to finish the two extending RL-10s).

Meanwhile, I now have a Patreon page! A couple people asked me about setting up recurring donations to BDB, hopefully this makes it easier! Unfortunately I can't give much in the way of rewards for patrons - as before, WIP screenshots are posted as soon as they're at a point where I'm ok with people seeing them, and new parts are uploaded to Github as they become playable. This is really just for people that want to help support my work. :)

Wolfy, is it possible to add a fuel switch to the two Apollo service modules to allow LFO/LF/LH/LHO ?  The part by itself is really nice and it would be nice to use it with other engines as well (LH2 engines and nukes, plus the stock NERV).

4 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Wolfy, is it possible to add a fuel switch to the two Apollo service modules to allow LFO/LF/LH/LHO ?  The part by itself is really nice and it would be nice to use it with other engines as well (LH2 engines and nukes, plus the stock NERV).

Definitely possible, just something that someone needs to sit down and do at some point. I'd also like to have a full monoprop config, since there were some proposals for basically just sticking 4-8 extra Marquarts on the base of the SM to use as OMS, making it closer to Gemini. I'm making a dual linear Apollo RCS block (basically the rectangle shaped base, but with 2 coming out the... idk, normal direction? It's a linear thruster lol) for that purpose.

MOCyk6R.png

Also, speaking of LHO service modules...

JXgXA7k.png

Yep on the mono. SSTU used to have monoprop versions of the Apollo/Soyuz/Orion SMs and now uses Aerozine/NTO along with matching engines. Such a fuel switch would give a lot of options with other mods/engines, as that service module body of yours is really nice looking and has the opening compartments to hide ugly stuff under.

CryoEngines uses B9PartSwitch with some cfg files for assigning fuel types. I can see if I can set it up for BDB using @Nertea's plugin, but you'll have to ask him if you can use it regarding licensing etc.

7 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Yep on the mono. SSTU used to have monoprop versions of the Apollo/Soyuz/Orion SMs and now uses Aerozine/NTO along with matching engines. Such a fuel switch would give a lot of options with other mods/engines, as that service module body of yours is really nice looking and has the opening compartments to hide ugly stuff under.

CryoEngines uses B9PartSwitch with some cfg files for assigning fuel types. I can see if I can set it up for BDB using @Nertea's plugin, but you'll have to ask him if you can use it regarding licensing etc.

We had B9 configs made when we decided we were going to natively include hydrolox engines, but we've moved to WBT. Right now tanks use the full window UI (like on Angel's MOLE/Skylab, for configuring the labs), but I can/will move them to using another module of his that just has the one-button switcher in the right click menu. I'll need to write some custom tank types for the service modules I think, since they have a bunch of different resources.

Hi guys! I have just restarted a career in 1.2 now that my modlist is complete and I have started to use this awesome mod by @CobaltWolf. However, I got some troubles with the antennas and the new stock KerbNet. Basically I am wondering why the antennas provided in the early nodes of the tech tree like the Belle B81 or the KD2 antenna cannot serve as a relay.

These two have the exact same characteristics as the Communotron yet they won't help me control a probe even on the very launchpad (I am running this career in Hard mode: no control at all if there is no signal).

Am I doing something wrong? Let's say I'm just using a very basic setup like an "Obelix" probe core and a B81 antenna, why can't I control this craft at all?

39 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

We had B9 configs made when we decided we were going to natively include hydrolox engines, but we've moved to WBT. Right now tanks use the full window UI (like on Angel's MOLE/Skylab, for configuring the labs), but I can/will move them to using another module of his that just has the one-button switcher in the right click menu. I'll need to write some custom tank types for the service modules I think, since they have a bunch of different resources.

Does this mean you might use his code module for a wet workshop??? That would be awesome!