Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

31 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

No, crafts already launched will not be affected. And the same is true for asteroids (only those already spawned)

This means that you could potentially lose them inside atmospheres or even planets :)

alrighty, thanks.  i'll try to give everything extra clearance before resizing!

brilliant mod by the way; i've been wanting a non-rss method of doing this for years.

Edited by antgeth

5 hours ago, antgeth said:

might i request the ability to adapt solar power to distance rescaling?  panels are pretty much nerfed at more than 2x.

Wouldn't that qualify as breaking the laws of physics?  Power should always scale as r-2

Edited by blowfish

11 hours ago, blowfish said:

Wouldn't that qualify as breaking the laws of physics?  Power should always scale as r-2

i don't mean a different curve, just a different base light output.  as it is, in a 3.2x system, i need to use a gigantor to get any meaningful amount of power.

14 hours ago, antgeth said:

might i request the ability to adapt solar power to distance rescaling?  panels are pretty much nerfed at more than 2x.

6 minutes ago, antgeth said:

i don't mean a different curve, just a different base light output.  as it is, in a 3.2x system, i need to use a gigantor to get any meaningful amount of power.

this is how solar power works in KSP:

no matter what the distance of kerbin from the sun is, the sun power will be changed by KSP to make sure the solar powers provide a certain amount of Ec/s at kerbin.

so rescaling a system does't change the Ec/s provided by solar panels.

if you want to change that, there is a parameter that can be changed in kopernicus to do that.

It whouldn't make sense to add a parameter in SD because it would just be a redirect to that Kopernicus parameter.

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body[Sun]
	{
		%ScaledVersion
		{
			%Light
			{
				%luminosity = 1360
			}
		}
	}
}

1360 is the stock value, you can change that to whatever you might prefere

8 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

Amazing Mod!!! I can't wait till it works in 1.1.3. I've tried to use it and I get errors like crazy. Great work @Sigma88. I think I remember some talk about a collaboration with the Kerbal Konstructs and Kerbinside guys a few pages back, how is that going?

You can try downloading the "newDimensions" branch off of github. That might work in 1.1.3 (might)

As for Kerbal Konstructs I am afraid @AlphaAsh has put development on hold, and I'm not even sure if that mod works in 1.1.3 (I haven't had time to test it)

Anyways, SigmaDimensions should handle resize of konstructs as best as possible :wink:

19 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

Amazing Mod!!! I can't wait till it works in 1.1.3. I've tried to use it and I get errors like crazy. Great work @Sigma88. I think I remember some talk about a collaboration with the Kerbal Konstructs and Kerbinside guys a few pages back, how is that going?

Seems to work fine In KSP 1.1.3

On Sunday, August 07, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Sigma88 said:

this is how solar power works in KSP:

no matter what the distance of kerbin from the sun is, the sun power will be changed by KSP to make sure the solar powers provide a certain amount of Ec/s at kerbin.

so rescaling a system does't change the Ec/s provided by solar panels.

i asked because the gigantor was putting out ~7ec with 95% coverage in kerbin orbit.  i guess it's an unrelated bug.

People following my mods probably have noticed that I haven't been very active lately. This is because I am seriously burned out of modding KSP.

The whole process feels more like a chore than an hobby and it's definitely something not worth wasting my limited free time at the moment.

This is why I have not been very active lately and won't be very active in the nearest future as well.

It is most likely a temporary phase, motivation will probably come back in some weeks or months. I have also arranged for other people to take over in the very unlikely scenario I decide to abandon the mods, so don't worry, nothing will be lost.

I will also keep reading the threads of my mods and reply to people, the only thing I won't do is add stuff to the mods themselves.

Have a nice summer everybody :wink:

PS: 

SD is very complex and it requires 100% focus to be worked on, I thank everybody who gave feedback because SD is what it is thanks to all the precious feedback I received.

Even if the mod is not officially updated to work with 1.1.3 THIS VERSION will most likely work very well in 1.1.3

so I'm not leaving you without a working version of SD at least :D

PPS: @antgeth feel free to pm me so we can sort out that bug you encountered and make sure it's not caused by SD

Edited by Sigma88

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Laguna said:

Ok, this might be a dumb question, and it's probably covered somewhere, but what's the procedure to use SD for both a general rescale and then apply some additional planet/moon-specific changes that will make those specific objects bigger than the general rescale?

There should be  a README.txt file inside the Sigma/Dimensions folder

At the bottom there are examples on how to do just that

Be careful that the syntax changes between the latest release and the development versions / pre-releases

5 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

There should be  a README.txt file inside the Sigma/Dimensions folder

At the bottom there are examples on how to do just that

Be careful that the syntax changes between the latest release and the development versions / pre-releases

Thanks, I knew about that example, just realized I had it backwards--first apply the specific changes to set things where I want them, then do the general rescale. :)

5 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Hi! Great mod! :D Is there anyway to know what delta v I'll need if I scale the bodies by 2x and the distances by 4x? Thanks in advance. :)

it should be pretty simple if you know the formula, I don't remember it, but I bet if you look on wiki you should find what you are looking for

@Sigma88 I hope your motivation returns for 1.2, as I really (although only recently) fell into love with the idea (and thus your mod) to move things around a bit without changing to much or requiring a lot of other mods for the game to still work.

2x Kerbin still plays well with the standard parts even in career mode. But I was always bother a bit by the short flight time to Mun. Moving everything further out let me stumble over a couple problems though:

1. Without a significant multiplier for Kerbol (Sun) it is no longer visible from the outer planets - x50 is not even enough for it to be visible from Eeloo! Has anyone figured out the relation between size of a body and distance of its visibility?

2. AP/EP is measured above "sealevel" of the parent body, no? So it should never be necessary to increase the orbit of e.g. Moho for it not to be swallowed by the star, yes?

3. Has anyone readily available the function that lets me calculate the size of Mun needed to create a full eclipse on Kerbin for an specific size and distance of Kerbol (Sun)?

I'm not sure what you mean with issue 1

if you use a plain 2x resize  and 2x rescale you should not see any difference whatsoever between stock and rescaled system

(the only difference would be that your kerbals and parts are not scaled 2x)

2. Apoapsis and Periapsis are displayed as distance from ground but the number KSP stores to define orbits is "semiMajorAxis" which is relative to the center of the planet (or in this case star) so you need to make sure the Sun doesn't "eat" moho

3. some good 'ol trigonometry should do the trick, iirc you need to have the same distance over radius ratio

meaning that       Mun Semimajoraxis / Mun Radius = Kerbin Semimajoraxis / Sun radius

PS: I know that the kool kids like to kall stuff with all kinds of kool names, but when it comes to SigmaDimensions the names you use actually matter, so be sure to use the proper name for the sun, which is "Sun" otherwise the changes will not apply.

PPS: also, the K word [censored] me off :)

Edited by Sigma88

4 hours ago, StephanVonKermann said:

Hey I love your mod but I have problem with scansat at the wrong altitudes. I have a max of 47 km for the radar scan is there a fix.

If you have version 0.5.0 there is a parameter scanAltitude for scansat. 

scanAltitude Altitude limits for orbital scanners is multiplied by the "Resize" and "scanAltitude" parameters.

Default value = 1
Can be set to any 

5 hours ago, StephanVonKermann said:

Hey I love your mod but I have problem with scansat at the wrong altitudes. I have a max of 47 km for the radar scan is there a fix.

I can't remember if I ever got to fix scansat compatibility accounting for the new scansat behaviour.

I will need to take a look at the code, but I can't give you an ETA since I'm pretty busy at the moment

sorry

On 14.9.2016 at 3:24 PM, Sigma88 said:

I'm not sure what you mean with issue 1

if you use a plain 2x resize  and 2x rescale you should not see any difference whatsoever between stock and rescaled system

(the only difference would be that your kerbals and parts are not scaled 2x)

2. Apoapsis and Periapsis are displayed as distance from ground but the number KSP stores to define orbits is "semiMajorAxis" which is relative to the center of the planet (or in this case star) so you need to make sure the Sun doesn't "eat" moho

3. some good 'ol trigonometry should do the trick, iirc you need to have the same distance over radius ratio

meaning that       Mun Semimajoraxis / Mun Radius = Kerbin Semimajoraxis / Sun radius

PS: I know that the kool kids like to kall stuff with all kinds of kool names, but when it comes to SigmaDimensions the names you use actually matter, so be sure to use the proper name for the sun, which is "Sun" otherwise the changes will not apply.

PPS: also, the K word [censored] me off :)

1. Maybe it is a limitation of the graphics engine, but the star was not visible from Jool - or if it was then it was really tiny and not visible against the skybox.

2. Darn, so I will have to complete that Excel sheet in the end ... :P

3. So ... How many digits after the comma/point (depending on cultural preference) can your mod deal with in the factors?

PS: I know, hence the (Sun) behind my Kerbol - which was the name for Kerbin's star I learned the first time I visited the forums and grew up with so to speak. :wink:

PPS: You do not want to be kissed? :D

1 hour ago, KerbMav said:

3. So ... How many digits after the comma/point (depending on cultural preference) can your mod deal with in the factors?

that does not depend on my mod, it depends on the internal structure of mm and ksp I guess.

when I need accuracy I usually go with whatever the max number of digits excel can handle (I think it's probably 15)

shouldn't be a problem anyway