Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

Here's more about the size I'd suggest. Uses only TL2 stock parts (LR79-NA-11 with LR101x2, S1.5400/11D33, Hydrazine and NTO/UDMH RCS,). Requires what RO requires (parts beyond stock are Proc Parts, Proc Fairings, VSR, RemoteTech).

The payload is ~550kg, a Ranger Block III core with two solar panels, a dish, and two antenna, with four of the smallest RCS and (of the 550kg) about 400+kg is hydrazine, so you're looking at probably 2500m/s in it. Lots of station-keeping. You should only need 9300m/s so the payload capacity can probably stretch to 600kg or more for LEO. If you use nearly all the hydrazine in the payload, you could probably do a Molniya orbit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvw8sfj9x9blz58/Example.craft?dl=0

In the VAB
JGwSPnAl.png
Note the real delta V is slightly lower since this is shown with half the fairing sides present.

Flight is a simple gravity turn, pitching below prograde near burnout to not get too high an apogee (don't go beyond 2-3 minutes to apogee on the first stage). Second stage will need to pitch above prograde once time to apogee is below 30s or so, or apogee rises above 180km. You should easily be able to do a 200x200 orbit with no relights, though the stage does support relighting (use the 4x seps in it for ullaging, or the built-in RCS).

33 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@CliftonM you appear to have your RS-27s reversed. The -27A should be on the core and the sea level config (H-1SaturnIB or RS-27) should be on the boosters. Also, you would do much better IMO with only 5 core RS-27As not 6 (4x in a cross and one in the center) and a core stretch of another 45t of propellant (I used a Tantares Proton Upper Stage tank and refilled it with kerolox). That raises payload to ~14.5t.

@MysteriousSteve yeah, that lifter is about 15x (or more) as much as you need, if the payload is going to be less than a ton...

BTW, that's not my booster...  I just put it on KerbalX to get the mods.

8 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Here's more about the size I'd suggest. Uses only TL2 stock parts (LR79-NA-11 with LR101x2, S1.5400/11D33, Hydrazine and NTO/UDMH RCS,). Requires what RO requires (parts beyond stock are Proc Parts, Proc Fairings, VSR, RemoteTech).

The payload is ~550kg, a Ranger Block III core with two solar panels, a dish, and two antenna, with four of the smallest RCS and (of the 550kg) about 400+kg is hydrazine, so you're looking at probably 2500m/s in it. Lots of station-keeping. You should only need 9300m/s so the payload capacity can probably stretch to 600kg or more for LEO. If you use nearly all the hydrazine in the payload, you could probably do a Molniya orbit.

Flight is a simple gravity turn, pitching below prograde near burnout to not get too high an apogee (don't go beyond 2-3 minutes to apogee on the first stage). Second stage will need to pitch above prograde once time to apogee is below 30s or so, or apogee rises above 180km. You should easily be able to do a 200x200 orbit with no relights, though the stage does support relighting (use the 4x seps in it for ullaging, or the built-in RCS).

Awesome stuff! The reason the booster was not originally optimized for the payload was that we had a bunch of designs to be made, running from 1 to 15 tonnes, and all the way up to some SHLVs. It was going to be too much work to make individual designs, do we made a bunch of stock models.

And btw, the booster design credits go to @Joco223.

And it's awesome to have your expertise, Nathan!

Edited by Dman979

10 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Yes.  http://twitch.tv/cliftonm

For the stream, I'm not going to be able to do the voiceovers, etc at the moment, but I'll have audio from KSP.

@MysteriousSteve - Can you get that DMP mod control file?

I have no idea where it is, i don't actually think I have it, are you sure it is in the client install and not just the server?

@MysteriousSteve that seems...a bit under-delta-V'd. That nine and a half minute upper will incur enough gravity losses that you'll need more than 9.3km/sec anyway, let alone the 9.0km/sec provided by just the lower and upper stages during their combined 12.5 minutes burn. Also you probably need more than just those RCS thrusters for roll control during lower stage burn, but it might be ok.

What upper stage engine are you using, anyway? I don't recognize it...

Just now, MysteriousSteve said:

I have no idea where it is, i don't actually think I have it, are you sure it is in the client install and not just the server?

Yes, it's in client.  You need to go into options - export whitelist.  It'll be alongside your ksp application, not in GameData.

Just now, MysteriousSteve said:

Yep, noteI do have a couple of other mods installed that we haven't officially added.

I know, but they're optional.  Please send it to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.