Squadcast Summary (2016/03/18) - A German, a Mexican, and a Netherlander walk into a bar

MiniMatt

4 minutes ago, Navy2k said:

Yes you can!

It's named after the back fin that looks like a sword.

In an original German "Berliner" there is jam instead of jelly.

And why do I feel the cold breath of Kasper in my neck?

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I just thought it would make sense, as there is the swordfish, which has a similiar looking feature.

Back on topic (before the mods get nervous):

4 hours ago, MiniMatt said:

Stream Two

2m Chris/Porkjet has been working on the IVA masks that DasValdez revealed earlier to better get existing IVA assets working in 3D

So @pizzaoverhead was right. I just wonder how this is any different from doing this in a 3d modelling program. I like it though.

12 minutes ago, Navy2k said:

In an original German "Berliner" there is jam instead of jelly.

Jam, jelly...gold jacket, green jacket...
I just find the whole things hilarious given how often I have heard that and never knew :D

Edited by Glaran K'erman

Just now, Glaran K'erman said:

Jam, jelly...green jacket, gold jacket...
I just find the whole things hilarious given how often I have heard that and never knew:D

Jelly is made from fruit sirup/juise and jam from the whole fruit, that simple ;)

2 hours ago, Lordherrmann said:

Wait guys, I thought we call Orcas Killerwal and Narwhals Schwertwal. Kann ich so wrong sein?

Ne, killer whale is more of an english/american name, while schwertwal is the german one. 

Not sure what Narwhals were called, thought as well they got some other name. Maybe I'm just thinking of Hammerheads.

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

By the way I just listened to that speech again and holy cow.

Holy.

Cow.

German is an excellent and precise language, i love it.... spell it with dedication: Heilige Kuh (Holy Cow) :wink:

This thread is going soo far off track ...

Orcinus Orca, aka Killer Whale, Blackfish, Schwertwal (in german), Späckhuggare (in swedish).

Apex predator in all oceans, kills great whites for fun and feeds on their nutritional livers (though it's uncertain if they complement with a nice chianti).

The name 'killer whale' is supposed to be a bit of an error in translation, since they are more "whale killers" (orcas and humans are among the few species known to prey on whales).

There's a story about a group of scientist researching  great white behaviour outside the Californian coast, and they replayed a recording of an orca vocalisation for the group they studied.

The group hastily evacuated the area (ruining that season of research), one was gps-tagged and later showed up outside Hawaii.

The vocalisation was from a panicking orca calf basicly shouting "MUMMY!"

On 3/18/2016 at 5:04 AM, MiniMatt said:

39m plan is for console to have parity with PC moving forward whilst noting the certification process will likely add some lag to the console releases

Well this is frankly disappointing and shows exactly why everyone freaked when they announced the console ports :/

It's essentially marketing speak for "we will hold back the PC version to the limits of the weakest console we ported to... Which is the wiiu... So yeah home you weren't looking forward to new planets or surface features to explore... "

what's next? That they'll stop development at the end of the current console generation cycle?

11 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

It's essentially marketing speak for "we will hold back the PC version to the limits of the weakest console we ported to... Which is the wiiu... So yeah home you weren't looking forward to new planets or surface features to explore... "

I can't speak with any authority for what will actually happen, but this is not at all how I interpreted what was said. 

I took it as "when a new update is ready, pc will get it first, closely followed by consoles. The delay being because of the certification process." 

It really has nothing to do with not adding features because the consoles can't/won't support those features. 

12 minutes ago, BLUESTREAK said:

Did anyone take notes of what was said on last night's Squadcast? It was a bit late to watch in the UK...!

I watched some of it. The part I saw was about how well the game performed, when it wasn't froze up splitting threads or something like that.

1 hour ago, Otis said:

I watched some of it. The part I saw was about how well the game performed, when it wasn't froze up splitting threads or something like that.

Yeah, that sort of sums it up.  Much improved performance, and a laptop was used for the stream too (though not exactly a 'budget' model).  They launched some BIG stuff with very good framerates.

There was a delay when staging as the ship got divided into separate threads.  The most noticeable was a very high part count ship with a very high part count launch tower (about 600 parts total iirc), as the launch clamps detached it split the shipping into one thread and the tower into another.

Based on what I saw in the stream, I sincerely hope that there's some sort of toggle for splitting the threads. Sitting through a multi-second pause during every staging event during ascent is going to get old REALLY fast.

Further optimization would be fine too...

And for the record I'm really looking forward to 1.1!

3 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Based on what I saw in the stream, I sincerely hope that there's some sort of toggle for splitting the threads. Sitting through a multi-second pause during every staging event during ascent is going to get old REALLY fast.

That was my thought as well. It's fantastic that the game runs so smoothly while flying with high part count vehicles, but multi-second pauses during every staging event are going to be extremely frustrating. Especially since my preferred rocket design has half a dozen staging events just within Kerbin's atmosphere. Hopefully this is a work in progress and the current staging lag can be massively improved.

Aside from that, I'm totally amped for 1.1 based on what I saw yesterday. Bring it on! :D

Will be interesting to see how this plays out for space stations and docking. My laptop starts to have problems when the part count gets to high on my orbital stations. So, I'm looking forward to being able to build stations without having to incorporate Ubiozur Welding created parts. But, if there is gonna be a freeze up when bringing together 2 semi-large crafts, well, that'll kinda suck. I guess it'll come down to whatever saves the most time and whether or not we will have control over how the game uses this new thread sharing capability. I'm hoping that the freeze ups will not even be noticeable for my playstyle, for I rarely build anything that comes close to the part counts used in the squadcast.

4 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Further optimization would be fine too...

And for the record I'm really looking forward to 1.1!

Shouldn't need a toggle, IMHO. It should use the same logic as other events and not split threads while the active vessel is "under acceleration," thrusting or in-atmosphere. That's when a hiccup is most apparent. When we're in orbit or landed these events aren't so time-sensitive and we can put up with it better.

Edited by pincushionman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.