[1.11] RemoteTech v1.9.9 [2020-12-19]

I play KSP 1.2.1 (on Linux).

1) If I install RemoteTech v1.8.2, will my current geostationary satellites function (but now using remotetech instead of commnet) with the stock antenna's on them? 

2) Does RT v1.8.2 come with any non-stock parts?

3) If i de-install RT v1.8.2, will any of the satellites disappear from my saves, assuming they only have stock parts attached to them? (and also assuming that RTv1.8.2 comes with NO additional parts that are non-stock)

4) If de-installing RT v1.8.2 AND satellites do NOT disappear, will they automatically work again with the ingame CommNet?

Looks like I'm among the first voters. So, here we go:

Spoiler

[#15] Y
[#17] 
[#26] Y
[#27] Y
[#31] Y
[#35] 
[#42] 
[#43] 
[#50] Y
[#105]
[#107] N
[#108]
[#112] Y
[#115]
[#116] N
[#119]
[#120]
[#163]
[#183]
[#187] Y
[#195]
[#220]
[#226]
[#272] N
[#358] Y
[#366]
[#427]
[#435]
[#436]
[#456]
[#462] Y
[#498] Y
[#516] Y
[#532]
[#636] 
[#640] Y
[#702]

In addition, I'd like to all (stock) antennas to have much greater EC consumption when not transmitting. In RT, supplying the comms with power is a challenge in itself while in CommNet it's so trivial.

22 minutes ago, garwel said:

In addition, I'd like to all (stock) antennas to have much greater EC consumption when not transmitting. In RT, supplying the comms with power is a challenge in itself while in CommNet it's so trivial.

I agree, Ive always edited the cfgs to juice-up the EC consumption.... I luv my solar panels...And I also luv symmetry, and a balanced CoM... so most of the time, I end up with much more EC production than I need, so I uice-up the antennas, lights, and other little things that can be "always" on, but not really mission critical, ust to make things more challenging...

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, neitsa said:

@cyberpunkdreams Good idea! I'm not very  familiar with Google forms so if you can make it, that would be great. Let me know if you have done it so I can update my above post. Thank you! :D

Here it is:

https://goo.gl/forms/GlSuxkNSGvenmkRg2

This is the spreadsheet with the responses:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16VI58bQ65MeAzIvIFqHB3C5QyNqmkvxZb2kYrp1wKBE/edit?usp=sharing

If you can give me a Google/GMail account (via PM I guess) I can share the form editor with you too, and that includes a graphical representation of the responses.

I installed the latest version, but I'm still having the same issues with Kopernicus & planet packs. Same problem as the last version - no ground stations on Kerbin.

Nevermind, problem solved. I was trying to load in the 64K preset as I'm running a 6.4x OPM setup, and that didn't work out.

Edited by Vicis
Issue resolved

14 hours ago, Cmaj6 said:

I play KSP 1.2.1 (on Linux).

1) If I install RemoteTech v1.8.2, will my current geostationary satellites function (but now using remotetech instead of commnet) with the stock antenna's on them? 

2) Does RT v1.8.2 come with any non-stock parts?

3) If i de-install RT v1.8.2, will any of the satellites disappear from my saves, assuming they only have stock parts attached to them? (and also assuming that RTv1.8.2 comes with NO additional parts that are non-stock)

4) If de-installing RT v1.8.2 AND satellites do NOT disappear, will they automatically work again with the ingame CommNet?

1) For the first time, the stock antennas on your satellites will reset to the default RT state (editor/launch state aka not extended) so your satellites will float dead . You need to launch their replacements. Orrrr turn on RT's cheat of configuring antennas in event of connection loss.

2) RT has some non-stock parts.

3) Your stock satellites will still be there but see (4).

4) You need to edit this "EnableCommNet = False" in your persistent.sfs to get CommNet back. RT doesn't have the interface option of turn on CommNet anymore (due to the RT/stock conflicts) until RT 2.x 

P.S. Maka a save backup before installing RT if you are not sure

Edited by TaxiService

1 hour ago, TaxiService said:

1) For the first time, the stock antennas on your satellites will reset to the default RT state (editor/launch state aka not extended) so your satellites will float dead . You need to launch their replacements. Orrrr turn on RT's cheat of configuring antennas in event of connection loss.

2) RT has some non-stock parts.

3) Your stock satellites will still be there but see (4).

4) You need to edit this "EnableCommNet = False" in your persistent.sfs to get CommNet back. RT doesn't have the interface option of turn on CommNet anymore (due to the RT/stock conflicts) until RT 2.x 

P.S. Maka a save backup before installing RT if you are not sure

Thank you very much for your reply! I'll install it tonight! :)

@TaxiService or @neitsa or anyone that is working on this part of the mod, take a look :

http://prntscr.com/dcxuk7

tried both first release of 1.8.1 and now 1.8.2, none of the probe cores with built in antenas allow activation and use of RCS (no matter the fuel or rcs part, stock or not, all the same) neither in orbit nor on launch clamp !

15 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

@TaxiService or @neitsa or anyone that is working on this part of the mod, take a look :

http://prntscr.com/dcxuk7

tried both first release of 1.8.1 and now 1.8.2, none of the probe cores with built in antenas allow activation and use of RCS (no matter the fuel or rcs part, stock or not, all the same) neither in orbit nor on launch clamp !

This picture and short description are not good enough to find out why. Please pass your log and save file according to this guideline plus the mod name of that weird cube thing.

8 hours ago, TaxiService said:

This picture and short description are not good enough to find out why. Please pass your log and save file according to this guideline plus the mod name of that weird cube thing.

That cube thing is my own mod, but i tried remote tech + stock ksp and it's the same, you can easily reproduce the problem :

1- use a sat core (anyone you like)

2- put stock RCS tanks

3- put any stock rcs

4- you can use antena for orbit or because the prob core has internal antena, you can try it on the launch pad

5- launch the vessel as it is

6- try activating and using the rcs, it will fail

because it happens in stock + rt, reproducing it is really easy and because my instance of the game is heavily modded, i don't think that log file would be as easy as you guys trying this on the stock yourself !

also that wierd cube thing, is my mod called JSat, only a part mod u know :wink:

Edited by Jiraiyah

1 hour ago, Jiraiyah said:

That cube thing is my own mod, but i tried remote tech + stock ksp and it's the same, you can easily reproduce the problem :

1- use a sat core (anyone you like)

2- put stock RCS tanks

3- put any stock rcs

4- you can use antena for orbit or because the prob core has internal antena, you can try it on the launch pad

5- launch the vessel as it is

6- try activating and using the rcs, it will fail

because it happens in stock + rt, reproducing it is really easy and because my instance of the game is heavily modded, i don't think that log file would be as easy as you guys trying this on the stock yourself !

also that wierd cube thing, is my mod called JSat, only a part mod u know :wink:

Well. There's definitely something that RT breaks there. The RCS does work but only with shortcut key 'r'. Can't toggle it from UI with mouse. 

5 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

the thing is that, on my side, even the 'r' key is not working !

Somewhat different results then. Same thing with SAS too btw. After installing RT I can't toggle it with mouse either but for me it works thru shortcut.

//edit (after a bit more testing)

Those do work with a manned craft so the problem is with probes.

It was easy enough to reproduce but here's output_log.txt anyway if that helps. Had clean install and just added RT and module manager.

Edited by Varsi
Didn't want to spam messages.

6 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

@tomek.piotrowski with seti's remotetech config, will I still have signal delay? They said they turn it to false, can I turn it back?

take a look at it's config file, there is a line saying EnableSignalDelay, if it is set to false, then there won't be any signal delay, set it to true to have the signal delay back

12 hours ago, Varsi said:

Well. There's definitely something that RT breaks there. The RCS does work but only with shortcut key 'r'. Can't toggle it from UI with mouse. 

The fact you can't use the buttons on the navball (you have to use key bindings instead) is there since at least 1.7.0. Something changed in KSP at some point (around KSP 1.0 release). There are multiple issues about that (#605 and #646 at least) and it would require a big amount of work to be able to use those buttons through the UI. We plan to fix this issue for the RT 2.x  branch.

12 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

the thing is that, on my side, even the 'r' key is not working !

Hmmm there's definitely something wrong if key bindings don't work. I remember testing this for RT 1.8.2 but the conditions under which I made my tests might be different from yours. I'll made a new test.

9 minutes ago, neitsa said:

The fact you can't use the buttons on the navball (you have to use key bindings instead) is there since at least 1.7.0. Something changed in KSP at some point (around KSP 1.0 release). There are multiple issues about that (#605 and #646 at least) and it would require a big amount of work to be able to use those buttons through the UI. We plan to fix this issue for the RT 2.x  branch.

Hmmm there's definitely something wrong if key bindings don't work. I remember testing this for RT 1.8.2 but the conditions under which I made my tests might be different from yours. I'll made a new test.

Oh now i see, the r key is working actually, but something interesting, take a look at this :

http://prntscr.com/ddj8b0

as you see the color is dim, that is why I didn't noticed this in my own game because the gui is smaller, also, that color gave me a thought, can it be that your mod is causing a duplication of nav ball gui or some kind of gui overlay that is almost transparent but at the same time stops the mouse click on itself and not letting the click to pass through? that would explain the color on the gui and the mouse click not working !!!!

Edited by Jiraiyah

2 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

Oh now i see, the r key is working actually, but something interesting, take a look at this :

http://prntscr.com/ddj8b0

as you see the color is dim, that is why O didn't noticed this in my own game because the gui is smaller, also, that color gave me a thought, can it be that your mod is causing a duplication of nav ball gui or some kind og gui overlay that is almost transparent but at the same time stops the mouse click on itself and not letting the click to pass through? that would explain the color on the gui and the mouse click not working !!!!

Ok @Jiraiyah I understand now. No, technically the color is dimmer because the GUI is locked. If you can read C# it happens here: if you don't have local control of the vessel (i.e. the vessel is not crewed), RemoteTech is locking the KSP GUI so clicks don't pass through and never get to KSP. The original intent was to tell players that the vessel was not under direct / local control.

The plan for RT 2.x is to remove all the locks altogether and "hijack" the KSP buttons so RT knows that they are pressed before the click goes to KSP, push the command (e.g. SAS, RCS, Light , Gears, etc.) on the vessel flight computer and when the delay time is elapsed, pop the command and execute it. It requires quite an amount of code to do that (and more code means possibly more bugs lurking around :p) and we alos have to play nicely with other mods locking the GUI (MechJeb is one of them), so we haven't made it possible yet since we took RT maintenance.

Nonetheless, this is a planned feature for RT 2.x.

6 minutes ago, neitsa said:

Ok @Jiraiyah I understand now. No, technically the color is dimmer because the GUI is locked. If you can read C# it happens here: if you don't have local control of the vessel (i.e. the vessel is not crewed), RemoteTech is locking the KSP GUI so clicks don't pass through and never get to KSP. The original intent was to tell players that the vessel was not under direct / local control.

The plan for RT 2.x is to remove all the locks altogether and "hijack" the KSP buttons so RT knows that they are pressed before the click goes to KSP, push the command (e.g. SAS, RCS, Light , Gears, etc.) on the vessel flight computer and when the delay time is elapsed, pop the command and execute it. It requires quite an amount of code to do that (and more code means possibly more bugs lurking around :p) and we alos have to play nicely with other mods locking the GUI (MechJeb is one of them), so we haven't made it possible yet since we took RT maintenance.

Nonetheless, this is a planned feature for RT 2.x.

got it. thanks sir. and i think the 2.x will be awesome release and everyone will understand if new bugs show up.

@neitsa, @TaxiService

Unfortunately rl caught up with me on the weekend, so I could not check it out earlier.

About the 1.8.2 functionality:
All works well when I start a new game.
However when eg I start a game only with remote tech and then later want to add additional ground stations using the example config from the for modders help page, there is no apparent option to do so. I can go to "presets" and overwrite, which does the thing I want it to do, but for players unfamiliar with the workings, it looks like that there is only the option to overwrite with the default remote tech settings (thus not the MM added ground stations which is actually done).

About the 2.0 feature poll
There are two simple axes to rate many of the opinion features: complex vs simple and hard vs easy
1. For the first one, the preference for default implementation is "simple" for obvious reasons. One just has to look at stock commnet to figure out why a complex range model is a bad idea. You need a spreadsheet/calculator to know about the range of two dishes communicating with each other, if one of them is not KSC (for which the values are displayed in the right-click context menu of the part). Therefore I hope no one plans on making #115 square cube law the default rule...

2. The preference for hard vs easy as a default is a matter of personal preference.
Until now, the default was "hard", since people who wanted it easy would use antenna range (or non) anyway. And people who wanted something in between antenna range and "hard" remote tech could do that by changing the config, manually or by installing mods. Since you plan to make the flight computer separate anyway and stock commnet exists, I see no reason to change that.
The worst thing you could do, is making the default a mix of hard and easy so that everyone has to adjust rt settings and check all the time whether there is a majority driven change of the defaults again.
Commnet + FC = simple, RT = hard by default (signal delay, only ksc, need to point antennas, no connection = no control even over antenna, etc). Of course rt can do the opposite and start simple and people have to tweak it to make it harder. But then go to the other extreme (no signal delay, many ground stations (or the whole planet as ground station), all omni antennas, need connection only to transmit science, etc). Making anything in between the two extremes the default will result in perpetual uncertainty and confusion, when the default depends on the flavor of the month majority/maintainer opinion. And (video/written) guides/playthroughs will always be out of date, adding to the confusion.

playing since looong time with RT but never asked for a "problem" i get after some time.

After some time and therefor some (38) probes/lander/stations , all with RT connections, the CPU usages goes up. The timer goes from green to yellow just by watching a probe floating in space. So far i just send some probes/RT relays to Duna and Eve.

Could that be a problem of RT ? Would deactivating antennas on unused sats help? If yes, is there a easy way to deactivate them via tracking station (also the omni ones) or do i have to go through all probes?

I'm having an issue with RemoteTech at the moment, wondering if anyone can help. I've had a look through the forum and couldn't see any previous posts about it, but apologies if this has already been covered.

Basically RemoteTech is causing probes to go crazy all of a sudden. It doesn't matter if I'm on manual SAS or using the RemoteTech flight computer, the probe will just go into a crazy spin. I've found that its likely to do this when switching relay (i.e automatically switching from antenna to omni connection). Manually changing its relay connection to another satellite or to mission control immediately fixes the issue.

I've doubled checked and i have the newest version of RemoteTech installed.

If an output log would help solve the issue, let me know and I'll add it once I'm home.

Appreciate any help, having a craft go into a crazy spin during docking really makes things difficult, even with interstellar docking music playing :P

Edited by Qwarkk

On 12/1/2016 at 1:20 AM, Yemo said:

@neitsa, @TaxiService

Unfortunately rl caught up with me on the weekend, so I could not check it out earlier.

About the 1.8.2 functionality:
All works well when I start a new game.
However when eg I start a game only with remote tech and then later want to add additional ground stations using the example config from the for modders help page, there is no apparent option to do so. I can go to "presets" and overwrite, which does the thing I want it to do, but for players unfamiliar with the workings, it looks like that there is only the option to overwrite with the default remote tech settings (thus not the MM added ground stations which is actually done).

That RT default settings in the preset window is MM-patched. I tested your second scenario of existing game and I can see the extra stations in the existing game after the overwrite.

5 hours ago, Ringkeeper said:

playing since looong time with RT but never asked for a "problem" i get after some time.

After some time and therefor some (38) probes/lander/stations , all with RT connections, the CPU usages goes up. The timer goes from green to yellow just by watching a probe floating in space. So far i just send some probes/RT relays to Duna and Eve.

Could that be a problem of RT ? Would deactivating antennas on unused sats help? If yes, is there a easy way to deactivate them via tracking station (also the omni ones) or do i have to go through all probes?

It is basically the codes of RT managing the RT network of connections so I doubt you can't just "make less CPU work" by deactivating some antennas. Is it becoming too burdensome on your CPU?

19 minutes ago, Qwarkk said:

I'm having an issue with RemoteTech at the moment, wondering if anyone can help. I've had a look through the forum and couldn't see any previous posts about it, but apologies if this has already been covered.

Basically RemoteTech is causing probes to go crazy all of a sudden. It doesn't matter if I'm on manual SAS or using the RemoteTech flight computer, the probe will just go into a crazy spin. I've found that its likely to do this when switching relay (i.e automatically switching from antenna to omni connection). Manually changing its relay connection to another satellite or to mission control immediately fixes the issue.

I've doubled checked and i have the newest version of RemoteTech installed.

If an output log would help solve the issue, let me know and I'll add it once I'm home.

Appreciate any help, having a craft go into a crazy spin during docking really makes things difficult, even with interstellar docking music playing :P

I have encountered this misbehavior during my testing of the few previous releases. The typical cause is the Flight Computer tries to rotato the vessel to a specific point with the excessive torque on the vessel's tiny mass. The underlying codes for this rotation are sub-optimal and do not utilize the KSP's mature SAS yet. We are moving to the KSP's SAS in the RT 2.x redevelopment.

Edited by TaxiService