Do Weather RIGHT

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

But if you did that, and it didn't work, would you be able to figure out why?

And when you figured out it was because you missed a devnote and they updated the game with axial tilt, would you think it was cool or would you lament losing your W/S-free Duna transfers?

I could learn. 

Honestly for just adding seasons, overhauling planetary locations and orbits is a bit overkill. 

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

I could learn. 

Honestly for just adding seasons, overhauling planetary locations and orbits is a bit overkill. 

I understand that, and can see it really though I think adding seasons without adding tilt would be like adding rain without adding clouds. Sure you could, but why would you?

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I understand that, and can see it really though I think adding seasons without adding tilt would be like adding rain without adding clouds. Sure you could, but why would you?

Why? Because the latter is a lot of extra work that changes a lot for too little. 

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

ROFLMAO 552328527.gif

You could make the orbit highly elliptical to 'create' seasons but since some people here already have difficulties with a small inclination ....

Weather should be modifiable also. Simply because it can create some fun circumstances. 

I saw a video once of a bunch of people in FSX trying to fly in hurricane force winds and it was pretty funny.

[link removed due to it being just too many swears (22 by my count)]

Edited by ZooNamedGames

I'm in for simplified weather, too. Don't need to get realistic (high/low pressure zones, moisture, etc.), just wind that comes and goes, rain that comes and goes and some aesthetic clouds are enough for me.

I would not like seasons that don't make sense. If there is no tilt and no noticeable eccentricity, I'd rather have the climate stable and just go for short-term variations.

The way I see it, winds would add to air speed when calculating aerodynamics; rain would be a drag-type force. As for which way the wind blows, I'd simply throw in a couple circular streams plus a bit of this (or a less computer-intensive version of that), varying with temperature/pressure (which in stock already vary based on latitude/altitude/time of day).

Second thought, that method in the article I linked doesn't seem to be too intensive, considering you just need to calculate a single vector on the field at each frame (for the ship's center of gravity).

I completely agree with this. It would give so much depth to launching rockets. Although, I agree that it should be toggleable (I, however, would keep it on). :) 

EDIT: Yay! This is my 500th post! :D 

EDIT 2: @ZooNamedGames Was it by chance Airforceproud95? I've seen it as well and it's pretty funny. :P 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

I'm all in favour of clouds but - speaking personally - am less fussed about weather. I can completely see why @Azimech for example would be keen but I don't do a lot on Kerbin and I'm not much into planes. For me, weather would mostly be an irritant. Can't launch my rocket because of high winds. OK - timewarp a few hours and try again. Can I launch now? Now? How about now?

I also take @ZooNamedGames point about launch delays affecting contracts but at the moment I also have to ask - which contracts? The time to complete contracts is so absurdly long (even for ostensibly urgent ones like rescue missions) that a couple of days delay due to weather won't make any difference.

It strikes me as realism for realism's sake rather than something that will meaningfully affect gameplay. Which doesn't make it a bad thing of course.

Edited by KSK

@KSK That's why it should be a toggle, sliders for your personal preference. Weather would not just be on Kerbin, obviously. Imagine landing your craft in a storm on Eve or Duna ... you check the weather data from orbit and could decide to land elsewhere or just wait until the storm passes. At the same time you've configured the weather system in such a way Kerbin has no weather at all, or maybe just a few clouds.

21 minutes ago, KSK said:

I also take @ZooNamedGames point about launch delays affecting contracts but at the moment I also have to ask - which contracts? The time to complete contracts is so absurdly long (even for ostensibly urgent ones like rescue missions) that a couple of days delay due to weather won't make any difference.

I agree, this is part of a systemic problem that spans other areas of the game, and it all needs a major uphaul. I don't think other ideas should suffer for it, tho. Weather has its own merits.

18 hours ago, rkarmark said:

I love the idear of weather 

So i have the idear that storms an powerfull winds would never apper at the ksc because of the mouintian range behind ksc

This would fix the conserns of missing a launch window and would make ksc a even better place to land

Other plases like beikanur (ksc2) and other plases on kerbin would have storms and tyfons (could be a reason that ksc moved) 

The other planets would have their storms too 

Read my first post

6 minutes ago, rkarmark said:

Read my first post

If the devs (or modders) had enough time, sure that particular climates could be attributed to specific locations of planets. But that means that for planetary mods to work, they'd have to supply that information as well. I think just a global noise layer, modulated by local variables (temp, pressure, biome) is enough for gaming needs.

But then, the KSC is a special little place, and it might be (I have no idea really) trivial to acquire it's location from the game, in case the user has modded his/her planets and doesn't launch from the stock site. In that case, modulating weather to be milder in its vicinity should be easy.

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

@KSK That's why it should be a toggle, sliders for your personal preference. Weather would not just be on Kerbin, obviously. Imagine landing your craft in a storm on Eve or Duna ... you check the weather data from orbit and could decide to land elsewhere or just wait until the storm passes. At the same time you've configured the weather system in such a way Kerbin has no weather at all, or maybe just a few clouds.

Sure, but again, without something else in place to make that land/not land decision matter in some way, it's an easy problem to resolve. Wait a couple of orbits until the weather clears and carry on. Surface operations currently take negligible time (compared to waiting for the next transfer window back to Kerbin) so even if life support is a thing, there's no reason not to wait out the weather rather than try to land. Jeb might get a bit frustrated, not being able to land for another day or two but liberal applications of space tape should keep him tied down for long enough. :) 

I'm not knocking the idea and from an aesthetics point of view, I'm all for it - anything to liven up the planets a bit. I'm just not seeing where it adds much else to the space travel part of the game. Sailing ships and balloons and cross-winds on landing - I can see how it would make a difference there. Actually, that's one reason I probably would toggle the weather off at least on Kerbin - I find planes difficult enough as it is, without adding extra challenges on top of that. :)

For once, this is a gameplay option where I can see the benefit of making it optional!

Anyway, peace - and I mean that sincerely. Lots of folks clearly do want weather because it would add to their style of play, so I'll bow out here and let those that want it enjoy the discussion.

I fully support the concept of weather and clouds, under the condition that its toggleable and very preferably customizeable (if KSP ever gets a stock cloud mod i want to be able to use my own textures in the event i dont like the stock ones without the lagfest that is texture replacer) as to the level of effect things like winds and rain have. 

hfmarsk.png

Id love to go swimming in duna dust storms that actually had some adverse effects on ships, and like they did in that recent martian movie, throw kerbals around when they are trying to board their ships (yes i know that was absolute BS since the atmo density isnt enough to actually do such damage as it did in movie but it looked cool).

Doesnt need to be that detailed like with seasons and axial tilt or anything of the sort (being a habitual interplanetary traveler things like inclination/eccentiricity isnt a big deal for me to work with), but weather that defaults to off in normal game mode (lets face it, most of the new players have a hard enough time with the concept of getting to orbit without any weather concerns).  Also, id like to see some sliders for the amount of an effect things like wind sheer would have on you, i dont want to be flying in hurricane force winds every single time i launch something :D...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.